Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Abolish the CBC and pay npr to set up a Canadian bureau imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
These companies are delusional in the sense that without the cbc, their viewers/readership would be forced to pay for content (they won't) or that their advertising revenues will sharply rise (again nope)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

namaste faggots posted:

Abolish the CBC and pay npr to set up a Canadian bureau imo

This would actually be good. Keep it government funded and a good arm's length from any political control. Or just gut CBC's management class and replace with some NPR folks to do a house cleaning.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You've gotta love the clickbait title and laundry-list writing style that passes for Canadian journalism here, but this is a decent rollcall of poo poo the Liberals did (or didn't) do this month, plus some conservative gloating over how Trudeau's pretty much just continuing Harper's governance.

quote:

In September, Did the Liberals Out-Harper the Conservatives?
On climate, foreign workers, and unions, Trudeau government moves this month have rankled progressives.

The key players in Stephen Harper’s government would have been high-fiving after the month Justin Trudeau’s is finishing up.

In September, the Liberal government took a hard line stance with a public union, held steady to the Conservatives’ greenhouse gas targets, approved a liquefied natural gas plant and pipeline assailed by environmentalists and Indigenous groups, and some say signalled it may extend, rather than curtail, powers to spy on citizens granted by the Harper government’s controversial Bill C-51.

For good measure, Trudeau’s Liberals also suggested making it easier for businesses to bring more temporary foreign workers to Canada, taking a position even Harper had backed away from after abuses of the federal program hit the headlines. The Conservatives tightened restrictions on who can hire foreign workers under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Earlier this month, a Liberal-dominated Parliamentary committee released a report recommending easier access to the program for businesses.

Trudeau rode to victory in October by running to the left of the NDP on many issues. In New York this month, he painted his government, and Canada, as progressive beacons to the world, particularly in welcoming refugees.

But at home, the Trudeau government’s actions have left many progressive Canadians feeling frustrated and misled.

Even Conservatives are concluding that Trudeau’s team has come to embrace Harper’s political agenda.

Conservative Colin Carrie, Oshawa MP and critic for health, says the Liberals’ decision to “copy” Conservative policy shows the Harper government was on the right track.

But that’s not what Trudeau ran on, notes Carrie, who said the list of broken promises by the Trudeau government is mounting.

LNG gets Trudeau’s backing

As prime minister, Harper was always under fire from environmentalists for pushing the oil and gas industry’s interests, but Trudeau’s government just gave the industry one of its biggest boosts in years.

Already under fire for approving permits to allow the controversial Site C dam in northern British Columbia to go forward, Trudeau’s government Tuesday approved the Pacific NorthWest LNG project on the province’s north coast, although with 190 conditions.

The $36-billion liquefied natural gas project is projected to generate 4,500 jobs during construction and about 600 long-term jobs.

But environmentalists say the project poses a serious risk to salmon habitat around its site on Lelu Island near Prince Rupert and call it a “carbon bomb” due to the greenhouse gas emissions it will create.

“The federal government’s recent decisions are not the climate leadership millions of Canadians voted for,” said Toronto-based Environmental Defence in a release. “Instead of speeding up the transition to a low-carbon economy, the federal and B.C. governments are deepening the dependence of Canada’s economy on fossil fuels.”

The Liberals insist the project will meet rigorous environmental standards in harmony with Ottawa’s priority to “get our natural resources to market.”

Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr told reporters in Ottawa Wednesday that the approval is a sign of things to come.

“This sends a signal that Canada is taking very seriously the riches that are our endowment as we make these international markets available to Canadian entrepreneurs,” Carr said. “And that’s very important.”

Tory-made GHG targets in doubt

Less than a year ago, new Environment Minister Catherine McKenna, in the afterglow of one of the biggest political comebacks in Canadian history, stood over the corpse of the 10-year-old Tory political reign and kicked it with criticism of its unambitious greenhouse gas targets.

The Conservative plan called for Canada’s greenhouse gas emissions to be cut to 30-per-cent below 2005 levels by 2030, a target short of those set by most other Western nations.

Days before the Paris climate talks were set to begin, McKenna told reporters the country needed more than impressive promises, and promised action.

But for all their criticisms of the Harper-era targets, McKenna and the Liberal government have now decided they’re good enough.

And, like the Conservatives, the Trudeau government is facing criticism from some experts who say Canada will not meet the targets based on current actions.

Tory MP Carrie, who was parliamentary secretary to the environment minister under Harper, praised the Conservatives for not making climate promises that couldn’t be delivered. “We stuck to those policies that we knew we could deliver.”

Opening door for more TFWs

The Conservatives were in the second year of what turned out to be their final term in government when the Temporary Foreign Worker Program sparked a controversy that plagued the government for the rest of their time in power.

In 2012, the program hit the headlines when a mine in northern British Columbia applied for 200 TFW permits to bring workers in from China. Shortly after, Royal Bank and Husky Oil were also in the headlines for their use of the program, with critics alleging Canadian workers were being denied access to jobs because the government had allowed businesses to import more than 300,000 temporary foreign workers over a few years.

Other corporations followed. Stories of poor people from developing nations seeking a better life in Canada being abused by employers emerged.

It was a political nightmare for the Tories.

Eventually the Conservatives, including Harper in a secret news conference for ethnic media, acknowledged there were problems with the program and it needed to be fixed.

His government brought in tighter restrictions on how many employees could be hired under the TFW program, scaled back the eligible industries, and started a blacklist of employers found to have been abusing the program — though hardly anyone ended up on it.

After taking office, the Liberals promised a thorough review of the program and lined up more than 60 witnesses to testify at a hearing earlier this year.

In the meantime, they froze a 20 per cent cap on the number of low-wage temporary foreign workers a company could hire, rather than reduce it to 10 per cent as planned by the Conservatives, and relaxed restrictions on what industries could use the program.

The report out of the program’s review hearing was released last week, and it recommended easier access to the program for businesses.

Labour leaders and opposition MPs have alleged the hearing witness list was stacked in favour of businesses that wanted to see the program made more accessible.

Bill C-51 still chugging along

Announced by the former Conservative government in February 2015, Bill C-51 — the Anti Terrorism Act — started its life being slammed by privacy advocates and civil liberties champions alike.

Groups like OpenMedia, an internet rights organization, said the bill allowed government to monitor the online activities of Canadians far too easily.

Protests began, and polls taken months after the proposed legislation’s unveiling put its popularity at a dismal 33 per cent.

The Tories, however, refused to budge on the legislation while the NDP demanded it be repealed. The Liberals said they would make specific changes to the bill if they won the election.

In September, the Liberals announced an online consultation process to decide what changes should be made.

But the same civil liberties groups who demanded the bill be withdrawn say that not only is the consultation not good enough, but like the TFW panel it is also skewed.

Micheal Vonn of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association expressed concerned that the “green paper” of the consultation, a kind of mission statement to guide discussion, was written as a “PR exercise.”

Vonn said the language of the paper tries to soften the consequences of the bill while putting the focus on measures that law enforcement agencies have wanted for some time.

“Beyond C-51, what we see in the consultation is Santa’s wish list from the police and intelligence agencies about all the extraordinary powers they would like have under their Christmas tree,” Vonn said.

Acrimony with public unions

The Conservatives, who appointed staunch right-to-work booster Pierre Poilievre as labour minister, had an acrimonious relationship with Canada’s public sector unions.

The Public Service Alliance of Canada, which represents 90,000 public servants currently negotiating with the Treasury Board, issued a release in September accusing the Liberals of continuing that relationship.

Unions fought with the previous Conservative government over how the sick pay system operates for employees, the muzzling of scientists, sweeping changes and the phasing out of home delivery at Canada Post, and tough bargaining.

But Trudeau pledged to reverse the trend in a Sept. 25, 2015 open letter to public servants.

“Respect and trust for our public servants by the federal government has never been so low, and I want to take this opportunity to assure you that I have a fundamentally different view than Stephen Harper of our public service,” reads the letter. “Where he sees an adversary, I see a partner.”

According to PSAC, while the relationship started off well enough, lately it has reverted back to its Harper-era nature, highlighted by recent labour negotiations where Ottawa offered the same deal to the union as Harper did.

Bob Jackson, regional vice president for PSAC in B.C., said alarm bells first rang during negotiations in February when the “tone” at the bargaining table was similar to the one when the Conservatives ran the show.

Jackson said the tone has not eased up as the negotiations have continued.

“It seems like everything the Prime Minister and the president of the Treasury Board are saying is not being translated to the negotiating table,” Jackson said. “Which leads us to believe that there is no change in mandate.”

Honeymoon is over: Tory MP

Tory MP Carrie says people are “starting to pay attention” to the Liberals’ actions now that the political honeymoon is ending and the government needs to make some tough decisions.

He predicts a hard landing for the high-flying Liberals this autumn as they continue to face difficult choices and decisions on various files. “At the end of the day they have to make these decisions, and it’s showing that our Conservative policies were the best policies,” Carrie said.

The Liberals have been delivering the opposite of what they promised, he notes, pointing to the health file. Earlier this year the Liberals released a budget that did not include $3 billion in funding promised during the election for home care.

“The facts are the facts, and the results are the results,” he said. “You can’t in any political situation make everybody happy.” [Tyee]

Read more: Energy, Rights + Justice, Politics, Environment

The article's thesis that "progressives" are upset at the government isn't really born out by the poll numbers, so I think what he means is that various activist organizations are realizing how dumb it was to expect anything from the Liberals. I think for the vast, atomized masses of regular voters the only thing actually hurting the Liberals right now is the steady drip of spending stories that the Tories have been digging up.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Haida allowed the royals to visit Haida Gwaii, but denied access to JT and Christy Clark. This fact has been erased from all news accounts, of course.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THC posted:

The Haida allowed the royals to visit Haida Gwaii, but denied access to JT and Christy Clark. This fact has been erased from all news accounts, of course.

That's a great gently caress you, although I don't see why the royals get a pass. Any link at all for this?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Are the Haida Treaty signatories? If so, that would explain the deference to the crown. I legit don't understand BC treaties for the most part. Y'all confusing with your unceded land.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo what would it take to make you loving white people shut up about treaties

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

That's a great gently caress you, although I don't see why the royals get a pass. Any link at all for this?

They allowed them because Haida Nation leadership views the British crown as equals, and it was a meeting of royalty of different empires.

Stickarts posted:

Are the Haida Treaty signatories? If so, that would explain the deference to the crown. I legit don't understand BC treaties for the most part. Y'all confusing with your unceded land.

No, the Haida never signed a treaty.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

While the fetishistic American approach to their constitution is taking things too far, Canada and Canadians would be well served if we were more aware of the laws that this country is explicitly founded on and built around. The wailers and teeth gnashers about immigrants and those drat Indians would probably die of apoplectic shock if they actually knew what the Charter was made up of.

e. Thanks for the quick Haida answer. I thought so but, again, BC treaty be complicated.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I just realised reading through the last 50 or so pages that I am the embodiment of everything this thread hates:

- Live in a rural county
- Own four dogs (pit bull, bull mastiff, border collie and shih tzu)
- Have multiple trucks on the property
- Work in the residential construction industry
- White, male

In my defense, though, I hate it here and I throw my vote away every election to vote NDP along with writing in to the local paper chiding them for their awful articles about the nearby reservations. Oh and I don't own any guns.

Can I still be part of the cool kids club?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
^^LOL if you think this is the cool kids' club. More like the surly Goths smoking behind the gym and listening to Skinny Puppy.

namaste faggots posted:

Holy poo poo what would it take to make you loving white people shut up about treaties
We started paying attention to the fine print when China took back Hong Kong.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 30, 2016

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

nozh posted:

Can I still be part of the cool kids club?

I'm a social justice activist in an area thoroughly locked down by the Green Party, where I live in a converted garage. I study health policy and advocate for community inclusion for folks with disabilities. My father was an immigrant, and my mother was a sociologist.

I think we cancel each other out, dude.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pixelante posted:

I'm a social justice activist in an area thoroughly locked down by the Green Party, where I live in a converted garage. I study health policy and advocate for community inclusion for folks with disabilities. My father was an immigrant, and my mother was a sociologist.

Gulf Islands or Oak Bay?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Butcher posted:

Fresh from the top few comments on a CBC article as usual. (From one about BC LNG getting approved).

Your peers and neighbours, friends!

It's kind of hilarious/hosed up, since CBC closed any commenting to do with natives or immigrants, these garbage people just find a way to connect any other topic back to bitching about natives/immigrants.

I honestly don't get why they don't show a bit of class as a national broadcaster and just shut the whole cesspool down.

75% of comments on the CBC forums are now people angry that they aren't able to voice their views on the latest news story on First Nations people or pro Donald Trump/ anti Hillary, it may as well just be deleted

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Baronjutter posted:

Gulf Islands or Oak Bay?

Oak Bay.

I re-introduce myself to the neighbours every year or so because they don't seem to be capable of remembering renters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pixelante posted:

Oak Bay.

I re-introduce myself to the neighbours every year or so because they don't seem to be capable of remembering renters.

Oak Bay's greatest collective shame is that they ever allowed for any rentals to be zoned. If they pretend the renters just aren't there it's easier.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Omg I can cut the loving white guilt in this thread with a butter knife

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Ontario teachers gotta get them returns.

https://www.otpp.com/investments/performance/major-investments

Nestle is just doing what's best for the shareholders which is us, not one percenters.

:stare: A Modest Proposal was supposed to be political satire, not an eighteenth century version of The Art of the Deal.

Helsing can correct me on this, but I think there used to be a time when union pension funds came with a social conscience. This, of course, created problems for Those In Charge.

Still catching up with this thread after some time away; I like your description several hundred posts back of honey bee politics. You didn't mention drones though.

Drones are male honey bees. Produced in limited numbers their only purpose in life is to mate with a virgin queen during her sole mating flight. When they aren't sunning themselves on the hive's front porch (while being fed and groomed by the workers) they loiter with thousands of other drones in local "mating yards", hot spots for bee sex. When a virgin queen appears she's mobbed by a cloud of drones. While she might mate with up to a dozen drones competition is intense and a drone that successfully copulates with her must transfer a life-time supply of sperm instantaneously. The orgasm is explosive. Literally. The penis is blown apart along with part of the drone's lower abdomen. The dying drone then spirals to earth, yelling "gently caress YOU, GOT MINE!" as he joins the 0.1% of drones who successfully mate.

During the fall cleanup workers toss garbage and any remaining drones out of the hive as part of their preparations for austere times.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Pixelante posted:

This has to be Golf Islands.

Edit: Turns out I guessed wrong. The 'rental' part threw me off. Rentals? In MY oak bay? Well I never...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hexigrammus posted:

Drones are male honey bees. Produced in limited numbers their only purpose in life is to mate with a virgin queen during her sole mating flight. When they aren't sunning themselves on the hive's front porch (while being fed and groomed by the workers) they loiter with thousands of other drones in local "mating yards", hot spots for bee sex. When a virgin queen appears she's mobbed by a cloud of drones. While she might mate with up to a dozen drones competition is intense and a drone that successfully copulates with her must transfer a life-time supply of sperm instantaneously. The orgasm is explosive. Literally. The penis is blown apart along with part of the drone's lower abdomen. The dying drone then spirals to earth, yelling "gently caress YOU, GOT MINE!" as he joins the 0.1% of drones who successfully mate.

During the fall cleanup workers toss garbage and any remaining drones out of the hive as part of their preparations for austere times.

Still cooler than anyone in this thread. Bee Jocks.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Great. Now I'm imagining an rear end in a top hat drone sailing toward the ground, shouting "Make America Great Again" before expiring. (Byn Rand?)

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
What is our hivemind position on Rosie Barton

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Not enough to save the CBC. Give her a job at npr. Abolish the loving cbc

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Baronjutter posted:

Oak Bay's greatest collective shame is that they ever allowed for any rentals to be zoned. If they pretend the renters just aren't there it's easier.

This is one of the reasons they chased the residential care facility there out to Quadra Village; all those stroke victims and dementia patients don't own their hospital rooms, they're just paying month to month.

The other reason was that inexplicably, there were a lot more people who needed residential care bads in Oak Bay and they made the mistake of trying to build a slightly taller building to house them all. Having to let all those kids go to that new high school was bad enough.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also all the gas stations, they made it a policy to never allow a new gas station in the entire "city" and to force out existing ones the moment they had the chance. Oak bay is a temporarily embarrassed gated community.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Good.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Oak bay is a temporarily embarrassed gated community.

Problem will solve itself in like 20 years tops.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

namaste faggots posted:

I dunno, maybe if or when treaties are irrelevant to how First Nations people interact with Ottawa. Look, I know you're being the contrarian shithead of this thread, but you're being less of a Devil's advocate and more of a trolling skidmark. Maybe think a little before mashing the keyboard there champ.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

They wanted to limit Oak Bay Lodge (old folks home) to local residents only. Fortunately, that ain't how funding works. My ex ran for council so I snored through a lot of community meetings... at which we would be the youngest in the room by a couple decades.

Haida leader tells Christy Clark she's not invited to royal visit. Christy says I wasn't gonna come anyway, jeeze you guys.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lars Blitzer posted:

I dunno, maybe if or when treaties are irrelevant to how First Nations people interact with Ottawa. Look, I know you're being the contrarian shithead of this thread, but you're being less of a Devil's advocate and more of a trolling skidmark. Maybe think a little before mashing the keyboard there champ.

Haha you actually replied, you lost

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Haha you actually replied, you lost

I know! I normally lurk so it's pretty rare that CI gets under my skin, but that kinda pissed me off something fierce. At least HAL hasn't been around for a while, or I just blocked him and forgot about it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's okay

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

On topic: Something that really tells you about the state of Canadian infrastructure and repair these days.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/electronic-sign-shows-vulgar-message-of-relief-about-anthony-henday-1.3788310

Sometimes, I'm proud I'm Edmontonian. :canada:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

On topic: Something that really tells you about the state of Canadian infrastructure and repair these days.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/electronic-sign-shows-vulgar-message-of-relief-about-anthony-henday-1.3788310

Wow, everything spelled correctly and everything.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 3, 2016

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Now you can get from Fort Saskatchewan to Leduc in less time between B&Es in Beverly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lars Blitzer posted:

It only took 40+ years and 1.8 billion dollars. :canada:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/angus-reid-cbc-poll-anxious-albertans-1.3784374

quote:

"Alberta has always been the strong province that has helped the other provinces," Diaz said.

"You would hope people would think the same way: 'OK, now it's our turn to help Alberta.' But the mentality out there is: 'Well, you guys have made all this money. You're in oil and gas. What goes around comes around.' And I've heard that from people. I've heard that from people I know."

Maybe you should have loving saved your money rather than blowing it on cocaine and truck nuts, you dumb hicks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh yeah, Alberta was always super excited to help other provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Where's that motherfucker who lost his oil job and had to move to Victoria