Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Who was Strong's DC while in L'ville? I seem to remember his defenses being really stout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Vance Bedford was with him there, too. Strong brought him with him from UF.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

fast cars loose anus posted:

"Sources" tell ESPN Charlie is gonna last the year and maybe be back

I don't know where he stands now, but I feel pretty confident that if Texas loses to Baylor on the 29th he's loving fired.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I can see them keeping Strong and trying a new DC if they end with a winning record, but nothing looks all that promising right now. Does it make sense to keep a head coach at Texas with three consecutive losing seasons and few signs things are really improving despite good recruiting classes?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DuckHuntDog posted:

I can see them keeping Strong and trying a new DC if they end with a winning record, but nothing looks all that promising right now. Does it make sense to keep a head coach at Texas with three consecutive losing seasons and few signs things are really improving despite good recruiting classes?

It seems like a bad sign if they can't have a breakout season in such a weak (or "even" if you want to be charitable) year for the Big 12.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i look forward to another decade of contests against the dean of big ten football, kirk ferentz

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
this was more fun the last two years when we beat you by like 50

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJgPVmUqTEA

Wooo it begins!

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

you should fly a banner

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I think the thought is that Strong was directly involved with the defense at Louisville, but at UT he's taken more of a "manager" role and Bedford's shown to not be so great.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Texas would be okay defensively if not for all the missed tackles and busted coverages.

Unfortunately, I could say that for a lot of lovely defenses.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dilber posted:

you should fly a banner

Our bloggers aren't influential enough

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Wonder if Oregon is ready to leave Helfrich & Hoke standing outside Martin :shrug:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tom Sellout posted:

Texas would be okay defensively if not for all the missed tackles and busted coverages.

Unfortunately, I could say that for a lot of lovely defenses.

This defense would be really good if it wasn't a bad defense.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
2449Miles2Oregon

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
why would a coach known for coaching good defense need to fire his defensive coordinator

why would you retain a coach that needs to fire all of his assistants

why would you retain a coach that hires assistants so badly he has to fire them within two years

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
also categorically and unequivically gently caress any coach who loving gives up wwith 5 minutes left in the game by punting at midfield down 18 points. get the gently caress out with that garbage

*charlie strong after a penalty that negates an OSU first down* "a durr hurr whats going on? first down? he catch so I no decline?!?!?

*charlie strong on fourth down with 5 minutes left down 18* "of COURSE, Watson, the shrewd decision is to punt it here" *blows pipe bubbles*

Scionix fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 2, 2016

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

SeaborneClink posted:

Wonder if Oregon is ready to leave Helfrich & Hoke standing outside Martin :shrug:

Probably hoping Chippy gets canned by the 49ers

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Wrong thread!

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 2, 2016

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Probably hoping Chippy gets canned by the 49ers

People are legitimately hoping for Les Miles for some reason.

Art Briles would probably be the best fit, but yeah...

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I like the lady who comes over and tells him to shut up

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm sure Brady Hoke will shape up to be a great defensive coordinator

not!!!!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Joey Freshwater posted:

I like the lady who comes over and tells him to shut up

Supposedly thats his mom

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

I think the thought is that Strong was directly involved with the defense at Louisville, but at UT he's taken more of a "manager" role and Bedford's shown to not be so great.

Which may have been his first mistake, since he was hired to be a nuts-and-bolts, x's-and-o's, hands-on kind of coach after we got tired of a CEO who mostly concerned himself with recruiting players and hiring assistants to handle the day-to-day operations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

Supposedly thats his mom

Jesus that's even better.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Which may have been his first mistake, since he was hired to be a nuts-and-bolts, x's-and-o's, hands-on kind of coach after we got tired of a CEO who mostly concerned himself with recruiting players and hiring assistants to handle the day-to-day operations.

Except that the UT job requires you be a CEO PR guy just because of the nature of the program.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm sure Brady Hoke will shape up to be a great defensive coordinator

For me to poop on!

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Looks like Houston's trying to address that Tom Heman $2.5 million buyout before hiring season begins. From the UH board of regents:

quote:

A. Approval is requested to delegate authority to the Chancellor and Chairman to take actions precedent for and to negotiate various contract matters on behalf of the University of Houston in the Division of Athletics as such action may be necessary prior to the next regularly scheduled Board of Regents meeting - University of Houston.
Action: Approval

Whoever gets to take Tom Herman can pay for that new indoor practice facility. Fair's fair.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

Except that the UT job requires you be a CEO PR guy just because of the nature of the program.

Does it, though? I feel like we were specifically looking for something different than that when we hired Strong. Like every coach at a major program, the HC at Texas has to do a couple hours of media per week during the season and gladhand with boosters from time to time, but I think that aspect of the job gets really exaggerated. What Texas fans and boosters and donors and administrators really want is a team that kicks rear end and wins football games. You deliver that without any major scandals and everyone is pleased as punch. If you can't deliver that, no amount of charm and polish is going to stave off the inevitable for very long.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Does it, though? I feel like we were specifically looking for something different than that when we hired Strong. Like every coach at a major program, the HC at Texas has to do a couple hours of media per week during the season and gladhand with boosters from time to time, but I think that aspect of the job gets really exaggerated. What Texas fans and boosters and donors and administrators really want is a team that kicks rear end and wins football games. You deliver that without any major scandals and everyone is pleased as punch. If you can't deliver that, no amount of charm and polish is going to stave off the inevitable for very long.

drat near every major program requires it to a certain degree, some more than others. Brian Kelly is a pretty good example. Dave Clawson is very much that "CEO" type as well. You really have to be one at most private schools.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Korranus posted:

Looks like Houston's trying to address that Tom Heman $2.5 million buyout before hiring season begins. From the UH board of regents:

Whoever gets to take Tom Herman can pay for that new indoor practice facility. Fair's fair.

Enjoy your LSU funded practice facility

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He's probably not worth what it would take to pry him away from Clemson, but I think Dabo would be a nice fit at Texas.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I guess if you are moving to a prime time job that requires you to do a lot of off the field schmoozing you shouldn't hire bush league assistant coaches, huh?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

General Dog posted:

He's probably not worth what it would take to pry him away from Clemson, but I think Dabo would be a nice fit at Texas.

Seems more like the Baylor type to me.

Or A&M.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 4, 2016

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Dabo with Texas recruits could be scary, kinda like Herman with LSU recruits.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Dabo with Texas recruits could be scary, kinda like Herman with LSU recruits.

Venables at Texas is gross.

Dabo's born again nonsense and practice baptisms is gross too.

Give me Herman or give me death. I would also take option c, where Strong goes 10-2 this year

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
Pretty sure Dabo doesn't need to coach Texas to get Texas recruits. Same with the GodKing and any other high profile coach.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Purdue plays @Illinois this weekend and hosts Iowa next Saturday.

Assuming they drop both, Hazell's not making the trip to Lincoln, I reckon?

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I have to believe that the Vandy @ UK game this Saturday is basically a "Loser Leaves Town" match. If Stoops has a path to continued employment, it lies solely in beating Vanderbilt, Austin Peay and two of Georgia, Missouri, Mississippi State, Louisville or Tennessee.

On the other hand, Vandy looks pretty terrible and losing to a terrible Kentucky team with it's fumble-prone backup QB and craptastic defense is probably the cherry on the poo poo sundae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Former Everything posted:

I have to believe that the Vandy @ UK game this Saturday is basically a "Loser Leaves Town" match. If Stoops has a path to continued employment, it lies solely in beating Vanderbilt, Austin Peay and two of Georgia, Missouri, Mississippi State, Louisville or Tennessee.

On the other hand, Vandy looks pretty terrible and losing to a terrible Kentucky team with it's fumble-prone backup QB and craptastic defense is probably the cherry on the poo poo sundae.

If Stoops beat Louisville this year through some miracle it'll be taken as a sign from God that he should remain coach.

It'd also be loving hilarious.

There's better odds on a meteor winning though.

• Locked thread