Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
This popped up on my FB feed and was shot down by pretty much all of the people commenting on it, it seemed very misguided, and I have to agree given that 90% of the clothes I have for my unborn son were given to me from friends who had boys and no longer needed them.

Seems real snobby to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my entire clothing as a kid came from my cousin cause it's way cheaper to just get hand-me-downs then to buy new clothes

really i'm surprised it isn't a clothing company promoting that

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is it like Oxfam or Goodwill where they have a bunch of charity shops and are trying to get people to unload their old stuff on them?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Guy Mann posted:

:getin:

Sriracha: Officially Worse Than Bacon

I think as a fad, it's ridiculous. It's one of the cheaper asian style spicy sauces at the grocery store, so I use it from time to time however. I haven't tried them yet, but the other day while grocery shopping, I picked up a few packs of ramen that apparently are sriacha flavored as a new choice. Eh, ramen's probably the most likely thing for me to actually use it on, so I can't complain.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

I think as a fad, it's ridiculous. It's one of the cheaper asian style spicy sauces at the grocery store, so I use it from time to time however. I haven't tried them yet, but the other day while grocery shopping, I picked up a few packs of ramen that apparently are sriacha flavored as a new choice. Eh, ramen's probably the most likely thing for me to actually use it on, so I can't complain.

Sriracha is a pretty good hot sauce that you can get several gallons of for like $5. People that like hot sauce like it because it is anything but mild and, well, it's cheap. Some hot sauces are stupidly expensive for how little you end up getting.

This recent faddish obsession with it is perplexing, though; it's a good hot sauce but not an exceptional one. It does the job on the cheap and that's all it really needs to do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

my entire clothing as a kid came from my cousin cause it's way cheaper to just get hand-me-downs then to buy new clothes
I'm willing to bet that your hand-me-downs didnt't come straight from your cousin's hair metal phase.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is it like Oxfam or Goodwill where they have a bunch of charity shops and are trying to get people to unload their old stuff on them?

Exactly. They want you not to pawn off poo poo on your family, but to give it to their stores to pawn off for money so they can cure heart disease. There's definitely a mental hoop or two involved in "your family is too good for free hand-me-downs - make strangers PAY for that poo poo instead!" I don't actually know if their charity stores are considered like thrift stores in the US though, because here that ad would communicate, "your family is too good for this, so we'll make poor people pay for it."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm willing to bet that your hand-me-downs didnt't come straight from your cousin's hair metal phase.

yikes, kids in the 80's were in dire straits

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

back to school shotgun posted:

Exactly. They want you not to pawn off poo poo on your family, but to give it to their stores to pawn off for money so they can cure heart disease. There's definitely a mental hoop or two involved in "your family is too good for free hand-me-downs - make strangers PAY for that poo poo instead!" I don't actually know if their charity stores are considered like thrift stores in the US though, because here that ad would communicate, "your family is too good for this, so we'll make poor people pay for it."

No matter how you try and interpret it, it comes off as lovely.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I love the taste of sriracha but find it too spicy because I am a big baby. Thankfully, this exists:

It's sriracha with almost no heat whatsoever!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

D

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Same

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Where's the love for Cholula sauce? That poo poo is dope, especially the chipotle kind.

Also, I got my second Bobcat in a Box! (I also got the weird train postcard.)

It's a bronze ring shaped like an owl! Honestly, if it were a few years ago, I probably would have worn this. As-is, I have a bunch of friends who I could give it to for christmas who would love it. It's pretty heavy and isn't terribly constructed, although I don't know if it would leave a residue on your finger after wearing it. Basically, it looks and feels like something you would buy at Forever 21 for <$10, but for a buck I'm honestly kind of impressed.

Although, that 'steam engine components' postcard was pretty hilarious. The seller for those must have been so, so confused.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

That ring kicks rear end.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

porkswordonboard posted:

Where's the love for Cholula sauce? That poo poo is dope, especially the chipotle kind.

Also, I got my second Bobcat in a Box! (I also got the weird train postcard.)

It's a bronze ring shaped like an owl! Honestly, if it were a few years ago, I probably would have worn this. As-is, I have a bunch of friends who I could give it to for christmas who would love it. It's pretty heavy and isn't terribly constructed, although I don't know if it would leave a residue on your finger after wearing it. Basically, it looks and feels like something you would buy at Forever 21 for <$10, but for a buck I'm honestly kind of impressed.

Although, that 'steam engine components' postcard was pretty hilarious. The seller for those must have been so, so confused.

A, Cholula is my lady! I just had some burritos with some of that on top for lunch today. My only complaint is the bottles are so drat small.

B. Hasn't it been like, a month in between BiaB mailings? That seems kinda far apart, even for them...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bad moves in marketing: Not having the sleep button on my phone work so I keep pocket-posting in Awful App.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

porkswordonboard posted:

Basically, it looks and feels like something you would buy at Forever 21 for <$10, but for a buck I'm honestly kind of impressed.

it took me like 30 seconds to find this on aliexpress for 50 cents and I can guarantee you it'll leave green poo poo on your finger, sorry. all of that kind of poo poo is just plated base metal :ssh:

I love awful cheap jewelry too but I can't believe yall are still invested in BiaB

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I meanwhile am still morbidly curious and really want a honeypot thread of goons just posting everything they get from the service and convincing other goons to join in, all for my enjoyment.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Snoo posted:

it took me like 30 seconds to find this on aliexpress for 50 cents and I can guarantee you it'll leave green poo poo on your finger, sorry. all of that kind of poo poo is just plated base metal :ssh:

I still think that ring kicks rear end.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

OK, the Hobby Lobby link just ruined octopuses for me in a way that not even a brass vagina with tentacles can remedy.

e: "handmade vulva art piece", thanks Aunt Sophia, my point stands

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Hail Hydra

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

God drat the internet suffered a huge loss when the Regretsy archives went down.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

:drat:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yep, I love mooching around charity shops and have got some bargains from them, but they are also taking over the high streets of small towns in the UK. They get cheaper rates than 'proper' businesses do - so any local small businesses can't compete and you end up with a high street that is mainly charity shops. Having said that the BHF shop on our high street closed down recently so yeah, even they are suffering now it seems. Now there's just empty shops because all the chain stores have moved to out of town centres and the council are not clever enough to adjust their rates to make them more appealing to small businesses. :smith:

Considering how there are a LOT of people relying on food banks and barely getting by on the wages they get, telling people that passing on your clothes to friends and family is somehow wrong and shameful was a bad move. I haven't seen the ad since so maybe they realised it was dumb.

Pastry of the Year posted:

OK, the Hobby Lobby link just ruined octopuses for me in a way that not even a brass vagina with tentacles can remedy.

God help me, I have one of these octopus necklaces somewhere. Perhaps I ought to donate it to a charity shop.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They got their clothes for nothing and their Chex for free.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mierenneuker posted:

They got their clothes for nothing and their Chex for free.

And all they had to do to get by was play the guitar on MTV. :sigh: That ain't working.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rondette posted:

God help me, I have one of these octopus necklaces somewhere. Perhaps I ought to donate it to a charity shop.

There was a goon who sold "handmade" jewelry in SA Mart that was all just Hobby Lobby baubles on chains at a huge markup and she got away with it for years, her finally getting called out and then vanishing off the face of the earth was great.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Rondette posted:

This popped up on my FB feed and was shot down by pretty much all of the people commenting on it, it seemed very misguided, and I have to agree given that 90% of the clothes I have for my unborn son were given to me from friends who had boys and no longer needed them.

Seems real snobby to me

Thanks for not talking about operating systems with an actual quality post.

Content:
Pandora ads that rely on visual images to convey the message when I have my phone's screen off while I'm driving and it's plugged into my car's audio jack. Those big bunch of doofuses.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Alaois posted:

here's a dumb move in marketing: every Chevrolet ad I see makes me want GM to go out of business

I like how Mr. Rich Business Guy drives his oversized GMC truck from his deluxe apartment in the sky just a block or two in a huge city to his job in a Madison Avenue-like skyscraper... to Eminence Front by The Who.

Talk about not knowing what a song is about.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You Are A Elf posted:

I like how Mr. Rich Business Guy drives his oversized GMC truck from his deluxe apartment in the sky just a block or two in a huge city to his job in a Madison Avenue-like skyscraper... to Eminence Front by The Who.

People forget.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

You Are A Elf posted:

Oooo, that reminds me of a good one I recently saw: Lipton ice tea using "S.O.B." by the Night Sweats. They don't use any of the lyrics, but if you're familiar with the track, it's pretty funny watching these wholesome families enjoying their picnics and backyard BBQs to a song about having the DTs.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I don't think anything beats Princess Cruises using 'Lust For Life' in their ads.

I know they only use the music, no lyrics, but Christ, that's a pretty risqué song for a company dedicated to dragging Middle American fatasses around on floating hotels.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Guy Mann posted:

There was a goon who sold "handmade" jewelry in SA Mart that was all just Hobby Lobby baubles on chains at a huge markup and she got away with it for years, her finally getting called out and then vanishing off the face of the earth was great.

I fell for it and I'm still a bit cross.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

You Are A Elf posted:

Holy poo poo that's the Who? Looks I need to listen to the rest of their studio albums, I know what's on my playlist this week.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

The Snoo posted:

I love awful cheap jewelry too but I can't believe yall are still invested in BiaB

:shrug: I'm aware it's still p. crap, but I was mostly just surprised it wasn't, like, a bag of soda tabs or a half-eaten sandwich. My bar was set pretty low tbh.

I don't really care, I still think BiaB is funny and it amuses me to go to work and show my coworkers the weird poo poo that came in the mail. Totally get that people hate it though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sic Semper Goon posted:

And all they had to do to get by was play the guitar on MTV. :sigh: That ain't working.

The man's too strong.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sriracha is a pretty good hot sauce that you can get several gallons of for like $5. People that like hot sauce like it because it is anything but mild and, well, it's cheap. Some hot sauces are stupidly expensive for how little you end up getting.

This recent faddish obsession with it is perplexing, though; it's a good hot sauce but not an exceptional one. It does the job on the cheap and that's all it really needs to do.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha :ms:

Mierenneuker posted:

I went to see a movie yesterday and I arrived way ahead of time. Before the 10 minutes of trailers was this thing. Now I didn't have the luxury of seeing a title so I spent 5 minutes wondering: what the hell is this an ad for?! A car, leather bags, wine, clothes, lingerie, a camera, Durex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu3vyWnzkAI

Never before have I wished that the advertising was in my face. TV has broken me, I don't want your subtle poo poo, Mini :qq:
I think this is a matter of target market and it's working. I'm not a big car enthusiast to the extent that I used to be, but I pretty quickly recognized what they were advertising and was curious as to where it was going. I could be remembering completely wrong, but I think this is part of a series and I remember seeing the previous one (photo shoot with the same camera, he leaned in to kiss her, she ran, she got away in a Mini and he chased her on a Vespa.) It got the Mini brand back in my mind and reminded me that although I'm not in the market for a car immediately, a Mini is one of the options I've thought about for my next car and it's the most immediate thing in my mind whereas yesterday I was skimming local ads and looking at Audis. An ad like that would not work on TV, but a movie theater is a pretty captive audience and you remembered what it was for. It's not a decisive factor, but for someone shopping, it's a nudge toward their product.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

oh those ads are bad, but i'm specifically talking about the Chevrolet "REAL PEOPLE REACT TO OUR CARS" where every single person sounds like they swallowed a handful of zanax and downed a 5th of jack beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Seems Youtube has a new ad out asking me to petition to allow University of North Texas to allow oil drilling on their property. I don't even. I live in Wisconsin, and surely didn't know there even was a University of North Texas until I was told they were unfairly holding onto their dino juice.