Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Panfilo posted:

The cynic in me says wikileaks or whoever could end up proving he committed massive tax fraud and I don't think it would hurt his campaign much. :(

You're not cynical enough, wiki leaks is in the bag for Trump. Look up assange's comments on Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSpfJUu0sOQ

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Lmao if you think some paperwork from decades ago is going to even move the needle of opinion for trump supporters

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
It is, however, causing him to implode.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't know why he's getting so upset about it, if he wants to appeal to the people who think the system is broken he should by all means show exactly how he gamed the system and got away with paying little/no taxes. He already bragged in the past about bribing politicians for favors. If he did anything illegal you would think the audits would have found it, so the only reason left to hide them is if it hurts his claims about his net worth, but his supporters aren't going to care about that. The longer he hides it the worse it is. Even if there was something bad, embrace it from day one so your detractors have nothing to fan the fire with.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

I loving knew drop bears were real.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I like how the panda looks at the branch like "Huh, wasn't this attached to a tree earlier?".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You're not cynical enough, wiki leaks is in the bag for Trump. Look up assange's comments on Clinton.

Not pro-Trump, just petulantly anti-Clinton. Assy's still angry that mommy C didn't have his back after he breached her department's security and blames her for his current situation. Hence why Wikileaks will post any anti-Clinton thing they get their hands on, no matter how obviously shaky it is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TotalLossBrain posted:

I don't think Wikileaks is all that interested in uncovering Trump things.

Wikileaks got really really bad

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't know why he's getting so upset about it, if he wants to appeal to the people who think the system is broken he should by all means show exactly how he gamed the system and got away with paying little/no taxes. He already bragged in the past about bribing politicians for favors. If he did anything illegal you would think the audits would have found it, so the only reason left to hide them is if it hurts his claims about his net worth, but his supporters aren't going to care about that. The longer he hides it the worse it is. Even if there was something bad, embrace it from day one so your detractors have nothing to fan the fire with.

I almost have to wonder if Trump is a brilliant, leftist, performance artist. He's seen what happens to other billionaires who publicly lean left, so instead of losing credibility with the right, he becomes an icon. What better way to bring back the high income tax from the early 1900s than to have an actual robber baron broadcasting his sliminess around the world? It's genius!

Also, much love to Wells Fargo for getting in on the action.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

grumplestiltzkin posted:

This is badly, deeply wrong. The coolant is only going to be able to transfer a certain amount of heat out of the engine block depending on air flow/thermal properties of engine block (which is why iron vs aluminum matters) and coolant, and a few other things. It is 100% possible for your engine to be producing more heat than the radiator can transfer out, which is why overheating is a thing. Water is not some magical fluid that can completely remove 100% of heat generated. That's why cars have temp gauges.

As for people wanting better temperature indications, keep in mind that a)it would add cost b)most people don't bother paying attention to warning lights/indications c)most people wouldn't know how to interpret it anyway. My current car's oil pressure gauge shows actual oil pressure (which varies with engine rpm) instead of just sitting in one spot to say "you have oil pressure" and I've had a friend freak out when they see the pressure lower while idling. Most people are too ignorant to be able to accurately interpret the small amount of data given, any more and you're just begging for problems.

I'm not talking about the engine producing more heat than the radiator can transfer out. I'm saying that the coolant inside the engine can't lag significantly behind the temperature of the metal it's running through. I was specifically addressing the comment that an aluminum engine block/head can get hotter faster than the coolant running through it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That pigeon at 1:30 was a baller, not a fail.

Gorilla Salad posted:

And it's truly depressing how many of those boiling water challenges there are. So many stupid people.

I once dropped a cabbage back into the hot water I was trying to remove it from and boiling water challenged my hand and that was bad enough. I don't know why anyone would think its a good idea to dump it on their heads

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When I was in first grade I got a pot of boiling egg water dumped on me by my mom who had just pulled it off the stove while I was being underfoot like a little idiot. My entire chest was one giant scab for like three weeks.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

EKDS5k posted:

I'm not talking about the engine producing more heat than the radiator can transfer out. I'm saying that the coolant inside the engine can't lag significantly behind the temperature of the metal it's running through. I was specifically addressing the comment that an aluminum engine block/head can get hotter faster than the coolant running through it.

You're still wrong either way, though. The coolant can only transfer so much heat out of the engine at a time. If the engine is producing more heat than the coolant can extract, the engine heats up. That's literally the definition of an overheating engine.

edit: WRT to iron/vs aluminum, iron has a thermal conductivity of ~31-73, while aluminum has a thermal conductivity of ~204-249. Material absolutely does make a huge difference in the rate that different substances will heat up/transfer heat. (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-metals-d_858.html)

grumplestiltzkin has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Oct 2, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Panfilo posted:

The cynic in me says wikileaks or whoever could end up proving he committed massive tax fraud and I don't think it would hurt his campaign much. :(

wikileaks was pretty cool at first but it's just become another propaganda arm for Putin these days, and Putin is very very interested in getting trump elected.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Baronjutter posted:

wikileaks was pretty cool at first but it's just become another propaganda arm for Putin these days, and Putin is very very interested in getting trump elected.

Less pro-Putin, more anti-America. Assange is a prima donna who just wants attention, and he'll do whatever it takes to get it. Unfortunately, this means Wikileaks is only really valuable to non-American interests.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like that he pauses in the superhero-landing pose for a bit.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

fullroundaction posted:

Lmao if you think some paperwork from decades ago is going to even move the needle of opinion for trump supporters

I would emptyquote this a million times if I could. The super staunchly-pro-Trump voters aren't going to change their minds no matter what sort of dirt comes out or how batshit out of his mind he goes before the election. If anything, it'll probably make them dig in even deeper because of "lie-beral media bias" or whatever.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Azhais posted:

I once dropped a cabbage back into the hot water I was trying to remove it from and boiling water challenged my hand and that was bad enough. I don't know why anyone would think its a good idea to dump it on their heads

Maybe I'm mistaken but I swear it was one of those stupid joke memes that was supposed to be the opposite of the ice bucket challenge, and some boneheads were taking it seriously

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Buff Skeleton posted:

Even if that video is fake, there are absolutely still people who do this for real, many of them kids, sadly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6yopO0Dfu8

I'm not sure if I love or hate that we're finally at a point where "RE: RE: RE: RE: FWD: FWD: RE: FWD: BEware this DANGEROUS new fad YOUR KIDS are learning ar schoool!!!!!!!11" chain letters are...true.

I mean if I got an email from my grandma in 2001 warning tenth-grade me "don't pour boiling water on your head! I heard the kids are doing it now!" I'd roll my eyes and wonder how on earth grandma could believe something so dumb, but look at this. Look at this world we live in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I would emptyquote this a million times if I could. The super staunchly-pro-Trump voters aren't going to change their minds no matter what sort of dirt comes out or how batshit out of his mind he goes before the election. If anything, it'll probably make them dig in even deeper because of "lie-beral media bias" or whatever.

Or to give them more benefit of the doubt—I'd say that the bulk of Trump voters are just saying "Of course he's dirty, but at least he's up front about being dirty; all politicians are dirty too, they just pretend they're not and try to hide it. At least this way we know what we're getting"

They honestly want to just burn the system down, because the one thing they're convinced of is that "politicians" are what's wrong with the presidency.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Data Graham posted:

They honestly want to just burn the system down, because the one thing they're convinced of is that "politicians" are what's wrong with the presidency.

Trump knows that and seems to play it very effectively. He drove that point home a few times during the debate last Monday. Like him or not, but that's exactly what his base wants to hear.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The pro trump narrative on twitter right now is that he was a genius to use the system to get out of paying taxes

Also white supremacists are already against paying taxes so of course they love it when their candidate scams his way out too.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Much of the country is so partisan voters will vote straight down the party ticket regardless of what they think about the guy at the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAPSVjY-wSg&t=20s

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hell, Republicans are bitching about the 9/11 law they overrode Obama's veto on, and blaming Obama because the law might have unintended consequences. So, in effect, they wrote a bill, passed it, Obama vetoed it, they OVERRODE the veto, and they are now blaming the president for the law they fought tooth and nail to get.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

so is the schadenfreude on the family of victims of the 9/11 attacks when they subpoena the king of saudi arabia and he says 'lol no'?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not to be a monster, but I think the Schadenfreude is always on 9/11 families.

:(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

im pooping! posted:

so is the schadenfreude on the family of victims of the 9/11 attacks when they subpoena the king of saudi arabia and he says 'lol no'?

The schadenfreude is probably that this "let's sue governments over acts of terror" legislation is going to lead to suits against the US.
In fact, those are probably some of the unintended consequences Obama was weary of.
And it's probably precisely why those who voted for it (everyone, not just Republicans - this was a near unanimous vote!) are now showing regret and a desire to change the bill.

But who could resist the sweet chance of voting FOR 9/11 victims? :911:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TotalLossBrain posted:

The schadenfreude is probably that this "let's sue governments over acts of terror" legislation is going to lead to suits against the US.
In fact, those are probably some of the unintended consequences Obama was weary of.
And it's probably precisely why those who voted for it (everyone, not just Republicans - this was a near unanimous vote!) are now showing regret and a desire to change the bill.

I want to see a Saudi law firm subpoena the CIA in its terrorism lawsuit for when the US government bombed the _________ that one time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, Harry Reid of all people was the voice of reason in the senate. Now Turtle Mcghee and Ryan are pissing and moaning because the president didn't tell them it was a bad idea, which he kinda did, back when he said "I'ma veto this poo poo, it's a bad idea".

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Now Turtle Mcghee and Ryan are pissing and moaning because the president didn't tell them it was a bad idea, which he kinda did, back when he said "I'ma veto this poo poo, it's a bad idea".

Which is extra schadenfreude because those guys voted for that bill before it ever got to Obama's desk to veto in the first place.
Maybe read the stuff you're voting for?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

TotalLossBrain posted:

And yet it took some massive lobbying to get the Zadroga act passed in 2010 (initially died after being filibustered by Senate Republicans) and re-authorized in 2015.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Which is extra schadenfreude because those guys voted for that bill before it ever got to Obama's desk to veto in the first place.
Maybe read the stuff you're voting for?

This is the best part. Their main excuse is "well the White House didn't tell us why the bill was bad soon enough! How were we supposed to know?".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yup. 28 senators sent a pissy letter saying that it would potentially harm US sovereignty overseas and lead to problems, which is THE EXACT REASON OBAMA SAID HE WAS GONNA VETO IT. It's kinda amazing the sheer amount of cognitive dissonance they have going on.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Think you're all missing the part where refusing to vote in favour of the 9/11 bill would've been a political hot potato they really didn't want their opponents (particularly in re-election campaigns) catching and using against them. And before you suggest they should all have voted against it: there were going to be people voting for it regardless.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

I refuse to believe that the 2 pandas on the ground aren't loving as the third one falls out of the tree.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

I refuse to believe that the 2 pandas on the ground aren't loving as the third one falls out of the tree.

They're pandas, even if they were trying to they would fail anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Data Graham posted:

Or to give them more benefit of the doubt—I'd say that the bulk of Trump voters are just saying "Of course he's dirty, but at least he's up front about being dirty; all politicians are dirty too, they just pretend they're not and try to hide it. At least this way we know what we're getting"

Just a reminder, early ballots are open for servicemembers overseas and I know of at least four people who have voted for Trump in the vein of "watching it all burn".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hell, Republicans are bitching about the 9/11 law they overrode Obama's veto on, and blaming Obama because the law might have unintended consequences. So, in effect, they wrote a bill, passed it, Obama vetoed it, they OVERRODE the veto, and they are now blaming the president for the law they fought tooth and nail to get.

The awesome part was last month, they voted against the heroes on 9/11 getting medical benefits, as well. :smith: