Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Does it still record when doing other things on the Apple Watch, or is it only recording when it's the opened app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Screen-on only, unfortunately, but it was happy to run for an hour with my wrist at my side.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I went for a run yesterday and left my phone at home. Strava froze up on me but the activity app went strong the whole way. Does Strava (or all running/cycling apps) still require the phone? Is this a limitation or app developer limitation?

Sucks since if it didn't happen on Strava it didn't happen...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I asked this question earlier. If a running app requires the phone, why wouldn't you just use activity?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

I asked this question earlier. If a running app requires the phone, why wouldn't you just use activity?

I would and did. I prefer to use Strava for activity tracking and was surprised it may have required the phone. I am not sure it does so that's why I'm asking.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Haha I'm with you! Same question/predicament but Team Runkeeper

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My totally unfounded theory is that Apple is waiting until after the Nike release to give third parties access to the S2 GPS.

Why would I want to use a third party app? I've got years of Strava activity, segment times and followers.

Luckily Strava is a way bigger deal for bikes and carrying my phone in my tail bag isn't that big of a deal.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Feenix posted:

Thanks for the good suggestions and thoughts... might I ask? What is the need for, say, Dark Sky watch app when my iPhone has Dark Sky and so my watch notifies me. Oh is it so you can see actual better weather forecasts and stuff? (Than the stock weather app.)
The complication is great and I like the watch app better than srock weather when I want to see the hourly forecast.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ah so third parties cannot access the GPS, that's the issue.

I also use Strava primarily for cycling but my friends on it (IRL ones mostly) also enjoy running so we talk about our activities. Good to have in one place.

Plus Strava has some cool third party visualization tools to fart around with.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I haven't seen any public statement that they can't, but it's been long enough that if they could, the big names would have.

I just figure they've got to give Nike Run Club something special, at least for a little bit, to justify the branding partnership.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Didn’t they show a hiking app that used GPS or did they never say whether it ran independently from the phone?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

japtor posted:

Didn’t they show a hiking app that used GPS or did they never say whether it ran independently from the phone?

They said it used gps and did run independently from the phone.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My guess is that they didn't open the GPS API up to developers in the beta to keep the feature under wraps and they need some time to catch up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can't seem to get my AppleWatch to be set up to unlock my iMac.

Details:

2FA is on for my iCloud account and devices (Do I need to do 2FA specifically on my Watch somehow?)
I have an iMac 5k
I have tried turning Handoff off, and on, on my iMac and my iPhone.
My iPhone and my iMac are on the same Wifi network...

any ideas?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

I can't seem to get my AppleWatch to be set up to unlock my iMac.

Details:

2FA is on for my iCloud account and devices (Do I need to do 2FA specifically on my Watch somehow?)
I have an iMac 5k
I have tried turning Handoff off, and on, on my iMac and my iPhone.
My iPhone and my iMac are on the same Wifi network...

any ideas?

Bluetooth pairing? WatchOS and macOS fully updated?

On a related note, it's been a wee bit flaky for me so far as well; maybe 75% success rate.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

enojy posted:

Bluetooth pairing? WatchOS and macOS fully updated?

On a related note, it's been a wee bit flaky for me so far as well; maybe 75% success rate.

Explain the BT pairing part?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
100% here and loving every minute of it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

Explain the BT pairing part?

I believe it's necessary to just pair your iMac and Apple Watch over Bluetooth is all. Can't remember, but wouldn't hurt to try!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I didn't pair my watch with my rMB and it works fine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

enojy posted:

I believe it's necessary to just pair your iMac and Apple Watch over Bluetooth is all. Can't remember, but wouldn't hurt to try!

Interesting. Well unless i need to hold down some button combo or something, my Watch won't discover my iMac (BT is on) and my iMac won't discover my watch... :\

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No you do not need to pair your watch with your computer. You turn the watch unlock on in settings and that should tell you if you need to do anything else.

All else fails, restart everything.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

All else fails, restart everything.

I did this, and everything started working again.

It logged me out of iCloud on all of my devices after I checked my security settings in the iCloud pref pane on my Mac, and then suddenly it started working.

I was 0 for 60 something attempts, then after that it started working flawlessly.

Apple Services, man.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish there was an option to prompt whether you want to unlock your mac with your phone (on your watch), rather than automatically unlocking it. At home it's fine, but at work I've caught myself sitting down for a second, forgetting something and walking away again, only to come back and see my desktop unlocked.

I should just turn off auto-unlock at work, to be honest.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Good news on the 42mm Edition front, it looks like November 7 will be the day pre-orders will be delivered and they will be available in store.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Really liking my 38mm space gay, was hard trying to choose between 38 and 42. The slightly smaller version fits perfectly and doesn't get in the way of my clothes. I really like how natural watch-lookingwrist movements activate the screen, apple got some smart fuckers working on this poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Anyone use a protective case for workouts that they can recommend? I'm interested in picking one up and then swap out for the rest of the day. Just want to prevent scuffs and scratches from a potential rub of a weight or kettlebell or something.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Anyone use a protective case for workouts that they can recommend? I'm interested in picking one up and then swap out for the rest of the day. Just want to prevent scuffs and scratches from a potential rub of a weight or kettlebell or something.

Just get apple care. I lift weights 5x per week and I've yet to encounter a problem after nearly a month. These are built pretty tough. I've knocked it against a bench and it didn't scratch it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I do have it but figure if I can steer away from the highest risk stuff that'd be good. I did get a scratch on the case in the first few days so a little sensitive about it. Cannot say it happened during workout though. Good news is that I found a replacement S2 before my 14 days was up so got a brand new one.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

TraderStav posted:

I do have it but figure if I can steer away from the highest risk stuff that'd be good. I did get a scratch on the case in the first few days so a little sensitive about it. Cannot say it happened during workout though. Good news is that I found a replacement S2 before my 14 days was up so got a brand new one.

Oh cool so you committed fraud?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Oh cool so you committed fraud?

No. I showed them the scratch, dick.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

TraderStav posted:

No. I showed them the scratch, dick.

Do you conned some underpaid apple wage slave into giving you a new watch just because your old one got a scratch?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Do you conned some underpaid apple wage slave into giving you a new watch just because your old one got a scratch?

I walked in and was transparent about my problem. They applied their policy however they saw fit without coercion from me. Unsure of what your issue is.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

:bravo:

You show him, guy!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not at all unusual for Apple to do exchanges for things like that early in a product's life cycle. It's good customer service plus they don't particularly want a brand new scratched up watch out in the wild either.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Anyone have a watch/iPhone dock that allows the watch to be used in Nightstand mode?

Every dock I see that supports nightstand mode doesn't charge an iPhone, too and every dock that does iPhone and Watch doesn't support nightstand mode.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

dexter6 posted:

Anyone have a watch/iPhone dock that allows the watch to be used in Nightstand mode?

Every dock I see that supports nightstand mode doesn't charge an iPhone, too and every dock that does iPhone and Watch doesn't support nightstand mode.

I gave up trying to find one that docked both, that 5.99 nightstand is by far the best as far as usability goes though. I would say to get that one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am LOVING my watch so far. Good times all around. However, a couple of key features, I try it, and it doesn't work and I have to wonder if poo poo is just wonky or if I'm doing something wrong.

Unlocking my iMac. My watch won't communicate with my iMAc to set it up.

But more recently, in the Apple Watch App on my iphone, I am trying to add my second debit card and it just spins endlessly when I hit the Add button.

Anyone else experienced this? Can the watch only have one card loaded? (Weird since it offers an Add button...)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can definitely have more than one card. Their servers (Apples/the bank's) might just be down right now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Feenix posted:

I am LOVING my watch so far. Good times all around. However, a couple of key features, I try it, and it doesn't work and I have to wonder if poo poo is just wonky or if I'm doing something wrong.

Unlocking my iMac. My watch won't communicate with my iMAc to set it up.

But more recently, in the Apple Watch App on my iphone, I am trying to add my second debit card and it just spins endlessly when I hit the Add button.

Anyone else experienced this? Can the watch only have one card loaded? (Weird since it offers an Add button...)

What model iMac do you have? It may not be an available feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jose Oquendo posted:

What model iMac do you have? It may not be an available feature.

It is. iMac 5k.

• Locked thread