Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm more qualified than both Stein and Trump.

I'm also under 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Augus posted:

lol if you think they'll be able to keep him on the teleprompter moments after he loses the election for president of the united states

I'll actually be mildly disappointed if his televised failure isn't accompanied by a string of four-letter cursing. You just know there won't be a dignified concession speech.

Simplex posted:

Yeah, the Aleppo thing was crushing enough, but to get caught out a second time showing a complete lack of knowledge or awareness of the world outside the United States is pretty shocking. He's at least twice as dumb as Sarah Palin, who we had presumed set a new low when it came to national level politics.

I don't even know if the Aleppo/foreign leader gaffes really matter to those who are Feeling The Gary. The response I've seen on Facebook mostly consists of "that's unfortunate, but still better than Clinton or Trump :downs:"

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

An interesting question... Given how damning the speculation from the couple pages of '95 returns is, what is it that's preventing Trump from releasing his tax returns to possibly refute it?

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/2/13137604/trump-tax-return

vox posted:

But the Times bet correctly. Trump still isn’t releasing his returns. And here’s what that means: whatever is in his returns is worse than what the New York Times is telling the world is in his returns. The Trump campaign has decided it prefers the picture the Times is painting — a picture where Trump didn’t pay taxes for 18 years — to the picture Trump’s real records would paint.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Anything else besides vaccine and Wifi? I mean to be fair people in the "mainstream" camps believe a lot of goofyshit too. And I don't even want to bring up Johnson's camp.

It's typical green party stuff, people only care because of a perceived Nader factor and she campaigns really hard against Clinton ("Clinton is more dangerous than Trump because status quo etc.") to try to pick up disillusioned lefties. The usual.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember: Johnson lied about a prison tunnel to try to break a union and privatize prisons in NM, but oops turns out the tunnel was actually a utility tunnel built by the prison.

So I guess that makes him qualified ala Nixon

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

punk rebel ecks posted:

Real talk, can someone explain to me why Stein is so bad?

I've come to dislike her from the little that I have been exposed to (She comes across as a female and dumb version of Bernie Sanders), but what makes her so horrible?

I could agree with this if you use "qualify" by that definition.

She's said that Hillary is more dangerous than Trump, in part because supposedly she will be able to get though more stuff through congress.
(Even though congress will remain GOP most likely, and completely ignoring Supreme Court appointments )

So either she's grossly ignorant, or knows she's lying and is being completely irresponsible

Edit: not saying she's as bad as Trump. But statements like this to me are disqualifying

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 3, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I kind of hate seeing you all putting Stein on the same level as Trump. Being an idiot crackpot isn't anywhere near as bad as being a racist hate golem. Like, come on.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Paradoxish posted:

I kind of hate seeing you all putting Stein on the same level as Trump. Being an idiot crackpot isn't anywhere near as bad as being a racist hate golem. Like, come on.

They're terrible in two entirely different ways. Sort of like polio and small pox.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Same basic approach - someone who knows nothing except how to get attention, carving out a niche in the larger political sphere. Stein goes for extreme-left cranks and Trump goes for the KKK, but the methodology is pretty similar.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Paradoxish posted:

They're both ignorance golems, she's just less hateful.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Paradoxish posted:

We've had plenty of racist hate golems running the country, but no idiot crackpots. Checkmate, liberals. :smaug:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
For the earlier "Times is breaking the law!!" talk.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/10/02/the_new_york_times_did_not_break_the_law_by_publishing_trump_s_tax_returns.html

The Times posted:

Borchers alleges that the Times violated a federal statute that forbids the publication of “any [tax] return or return information” in “a manner unauthorized” by law. What Borchers does not understand is that this statute applies only to documents submitted to the federal government.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

punk rebel ecks posted:

Real talk, can someone explain to me why Stein is so bad?

I've come to dislike her from the little that I have been exposed to (She comes across as a female and dumb version of Bernie Sanders), but what makes her so horrible?

She's an anti-vaxxer and pseudo-science peddler, is economically illiterate, believes a ton of stupid conspiracy theories, and almost assuredly is being supported under the table by Vladimir Putin to siphon off leftist votes from Clinton.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And, as I said, Marla could easily come out and release the taxes herself, and Trump can do nothing except threaten (and likely) cut off her alimony.

e: same with Ivana too, provided they filed jointly in both cases.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Moatman posted:

We've had plenty of racist hate golems running the country, but no idiot crackpots. Checkmate, liberals. :smaug:

Reagan was full into astrology.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I like the point the Slate guy makes that there are a whole bunch of Citizens United supporters out there that don't seem to care about the NYT's free speech rights here for some reason.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also Bush II believed the Iraq was was a way to bring about end times gog and magog etc.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Stein is more offensive to me because as a bleeding heart liberal she dies not give a gently caress about promoting leftist ideals and only gives a poo poo about self promotion.

As the theoretical leader of the Greenies, she should be working to primary Dems, and work on winning local and state offices. And not just show up every 4 years to be a waste of space.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lol to anyone thinking the NYT didn't have some of the best lawyers in the country go over every single syllable and okay it. I guarantee their editors have also made drat sure they're ready for a fight if it does somehow go to court, and every lawyer in the land will want the kudos of defending them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

predicto posted:

She's an anti-vaxxer

Important distinction - she isn't an anti-vaxxer. She PANDERS to anti-vaxxers - every time the subject is brought up, instead of simply answering "no, vaccines are vital" she goes on a whole diatribe about how it's understandable people have concerns about big pharma.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Lol to anyone thinking the NYT didn't have some of the best lawyers in the country go over every single syllable and okay it. I guarantee their editors have also made drat sure they're ready for a fight if it does somehow go to court, and every lawyer in the land will want the kudos of defending them.

They also know that worse case they can probably be at the edge of legality because Trump will never be willing to go though legal discovery on a case like this.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

iospace posted:

And, as I said, Marla could easily come out and release the taxes herself, and Trump can do nothing except threaten (and likely) cut off her alimony.

e: same with Ivana too, provided they filed jointly in both cases.

I bet the alimony is paid from the Trump Foundation because that's the Trumpiest thing to do.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

lol at anyone thinking Trump will sue the NYT.

That just means they'll get more tax records in discovery :v:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Important distinction - she isn't an anti-vaxxer. She PANDERS to anti-vaxxers - every time the subject is brought up, instead of simply answering "no, vaccines are vital" she goes on a whole diatribe about how it's understandable people have concerns about big pharma.

When it comes to stopping the spread of preventable disease, there is absolutely no difference between the two what so ever.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And Trump isn't a KKKer. He just panders to them. :)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Dexo posted:

As the theoretical leader of the Greenies, she should be working to primary Dems, and work on winning local and state offices. And not just show up every 4 years to be a waste of space.

The Greens have always been poo poo, though, and have never actually provided a credible leftist alternative to the Democratic Party. There are smaller leftist parties that are actually legit, but the reality is that most leftists with actual political ambition just end up trying to work from within the party.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

It would be hilarious to see Trump try to take them to court.

I suspect he won't... I'm pretty sure he's smart enough to know that the "I'll sue you!!!" threat is one you only take beyond a threat with parties you can effectively bully into a settlement or are certain to win against.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hey guys, finally, some good news!

Haha just kidding, it's lovely news. Colombian voters rejected the government's peace deal with FARC.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Quinton posted:

It would be hilarious to see Trump try to take them to court.

I suspect he won't... I'm pretty sure he's smart enough to know that the "I'll sue you!!!" threat is one you only take beyond a threat with parties you can effectively bully into a settlement or are certain to win against.

It depends entirely on how angry he is.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

The Greens have always been poo poo, though, and have never actually provided a credible leftist alternative to the Democratic Party. There are smaller leftist parties that are actually legit, but the reality is that most leftists with actual political ambition just end up trying to work from within the party.

The greens like those other parties you mention, are legit at a local level. The green mayors in the US are good examples.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GalacticAcid posted:

Haha just kidding, it's lovely news. Colombian voters rejected the government's peace deal with FARC.

loving hell. :smith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

63,000 vote margin with 40% turnout. Oof.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember: Johnson lied about a prison tunnel to try to break a union and privatize prisons in NM, but oops turns out the tunnel was actually a utility tunnel built by the prison.

So I guess that makes him qualified ala Nixon
On The Media covered this, and directly caused my dad to stop considering Johnson. He was never going to vote Trump, but doesn't really like Hillary. Johnson was a way out as a protest vote (NC only has 3 parties running, no Green). He voted against Bill both times, voted for Bush in 2000 but Kerry in 2004 because of the bullshit Iraq war, and voted Obama twice because he just could not stand who the GOP were sending up. He would probably vote for Kasich or Rubio.

I did give him talking points and a lot of info about Benghazi and how to refute talking points like "Where were the Marines?" and "Why did she cancel the airstrike?" and other boilerplate bullshit. He's mellowing out.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What sort of lovely country has a referendum on a peace treaty?!?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

The greens like those other parties you mention, are legit at a local level. The green mayors in the US are good examples.

Isn't there only like a single GP mayor currently serving? That's not even on par with the Libertarians.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

At one point in Matthew Jesus is hungry and walks up to a fig tree hoping to find delicious figs but finds out that the tree doesn't have any figs on it, so he gets mad and basically says "gently caress you, fig tree" and the tree instantly loving withers and dies.

This one of the best NT metaphors, btw. It's one that you almost need to have been either poor, disadvantaged, or oppressed to get.

The hungry, oppressed, or desperate don't have patience for: now is not the time for dealing with that, ie. it isn't the season for figs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
What sort of lovely county has a referendum on whether or not to remove themselves from the EU

Countries and politics are dumb

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/782733154083889159

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

63,000 vote margin with 40% turnout. Oof.

And most of the "no" votes came from regions unaffected by FARC. gently caress referendums forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Lebron endorses Hillary

E: iospace :argh:

• Locked thread