Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Even in the magazines, Dia isn't as harsh on Ruby as either of them like to admit. Dia buys ice pops for Ruby, does Ruby's homework, maybe saves Ruby from dog attacks, and creeps on Ruby in the middle of the night when she's trying to sleep. She's just a high-level tsundere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

emormu posted:

I've ordered all of my nesoberis and other Love Live plushes online. Mostly amazon, but I've also gotten some plushies via ebay. I've picked up some Sunshine name tags as well as the Sunshine CDs at Kinokuniya so I would think there's a chance there may be Sunshine merchandise. If you can find somewhere in NYC that sells Nesoberis I would like to know as well.

Nice. I've seen Sunshine CDs and probably other merch at Kinokuniya Bryant Park, and have picked up a µ's CD (Korekara no Someday/Wonder Zone) and one of those mini folder sheets there back in August. I met a dude while working at a con in Times Square that month who owns a ton of LL merch, but he just moved here from China not long ago and got most if not all of his LL merch online, so I doubt he picked any up in the city or would know where to get it here. I'll keep an eye out, but I don't think I'll be so lucky. If so, then NYCC would probably be the best place to find it, despite the ever shrinking amount of anime merch retailers at the con as more general geek interest and commercial vendors and such move in.

Very much hopeful I'll be able to find some good LL stuff for sale, hopefully at a discount or something because the first day of con on Thursday happens to be my birthday as well, and as a Crew member working my 7th year there (albeit in Artist Alley for the past 5 years or so, instead of the show floor), I should be able to find merch if it's available there, but I don't think I'll be that lucky unfortunately.

graybook posted:

I was at Anime Weekend Atlanta yesterday and the only Sunshine merch that I could find was the CDs as well as some, like, palm-sized pillows plus character towels.
Pickings are slim, but if you'll be at NYCC, I want to say they're more likely to have better vendors than AWA.
I hope so. I guess I'll have a trip report at the end of next week if I manage to find anything of note. Probably just CDs or other regular merch, probably some figurines too, most likely just µ's, since the Aqours ones haven't really been developed yet or gone on sale very recently in Japan, much less over here.

But you never know, there was that full display of LLSIF in the middle of the Anime Boston Dealer's Room earlier this year in April, complete with life size cutouts of the µ's characters in their cyber outfits, showing off the cell phone game. Got a flyer out of that, as well as getting to play the game, but that was a straight anime con and Anime Boston to boot, and not a con that has been diminishing it's animu content since they swallowed New York Anime Festival like NYCC did, killing the former brand 2 years after the combination in 2010. There's gonna be a new anime con at Javits next year run by former NYAF management, but that's next year and tons of merch should be out by then. Guess I'll go see at the end of the week.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 3, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Yeah, though that one required lining up for dealers room asap if you wanted one of the jackets. I kinda did but eh.

Maybe I'll see you there next time, I plan to be around.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

graybook posted:

Yeah, though that one required lining up for dealers room asap if you wanted one of the jackets. I kinda did but eh.

Maybe I'll see you there next time, I plan to be around.

I didn't even know that display would be there, I didn't get to con until Saturday and all the free stuff was gone by then. I wasn't really into LL back then, seeing it in action at Anime Boston was kinda what got me more interested in it after hearing about it in anime circles for a while and got me to check out the anime and the game the next month, which dropped me in the Love Live hole I'm currently inhabiting.

Probably gonna go to Anime Boston again next year depending on how my finances look. If I do, I'll see if we can find some time to run into each other or something like that, if I actually remember talking about this then.

Also,

graybook posted:

Man, the conflicting canon across different parts of the franchise is weird to think about sometimes, primarily with Dia's statements about not knowing about idols, and the student council president bit.

Allarion posted:

Dia's interview seems disingenuous. Or at the very least, anime canon has diverged from interview canon significantly in her case.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think all the characters are pretty different in the anime from how they are in the other material. But from what I understand that was the same in OG LL as well. I'm not completely sure about that though.

Edit: I like Dia being close with Ruby better though. She just seems kinda mean otherwise.

Daxing Dan posted:

Even in the magazines, Dia isn't as harsh on Ruby as either of them like to admit. Dia buys ice pops for Ruby, does Ruby's homework, maybe saves Ruby from dog attacks, and creeps on Ruby in the middle of the night when she's trying to sleep. She's just a high-level tsundere.

graybook posted:

This is a superior depiction of Dia imo.
I never really read any of the background material in the magazine before the anime came out, so seeing a different canon or whatever there is kinda weird, as well as the game canon from the LLSIF snippets that they recently patched in. I mean, the game seems to be sticking more to the magazine canon, since the anime is the most recent iteration, and it is kinda hard fitting all of them together in one cohesive character when they conflict.

Still, I'm rather enjoying the game portrayals of the characters, even if the anime ones are rather fresher in my mind and my baseline to compare them to. Some of the anime portrayals seem better too, Dia and Mari (minus the rock music thing) included, though Yohane, Maru, and You are much the same in the different iterations, and Ruby seems a lot shyer than the anime, though maybe that's just because she got over it somewhat rather quickly but still had many moments of shyness when it was cuter in the anime.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's at least 3 different interpretations of the characters going on I assume, since there's the original creators, the anime staff's interpretation, and then the actress' own interpretations of their own characters (4 if you count fan interpretations), so it kinda bounces between all of them until everyone has an idea of the characters after a year or two. The first Love Live did have 3 years in advance to get that all settled, while Sunshine's only had a year so not everything's cohesive just yet I imagine.

The Seiyuu Lives have some fun with this in a couple skits too, when the VAs have to act out a situation as they think their characters will, and it gets compared to how the original writer would do it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

This lady is going to single-handedly convert me to her ship

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

If you really want to split hairs, the drama CDs and School Idol Festival have their own universes too, since neither of them totally match up with either the magazine or the anime.

Here's the differences in the magazine, off the top of my head
-The decision to close Uranohoshi is already finalized. As soon as Ruby/Maru/Yoshiko's year graduates, the school will close. Also, it's a Catholic school.
-Chika, Kanan, You, Dia, Yoshiko, Maru, and Ruby all kinda know each other already, even before Aqours forms.
-Kanan is Chika's best friend, and the two basically grew up together. She's the first person to join Aqours, at Chika's request.
-Dia is stricter to Ruby, and has never been interested in idols. She isn't opposed to the school idol club, but she refuses to join until she loses a bet to Chika after Chika takes Ruby hostage. The details behind this are unclear.
-You isn't the costume designer. I think Ruby was supposed to do that?
-Yoshiko is incredibly unlucky, and this is the reason she believes she's a fallen angel. So far, everyone in the magazine calls her Yohane (Riko calls her Yocchan also).
-Maru is in the school choir.
-Mari isn't the director.

In other news, I just finished translating Sea Side Diary, the short novel that came with the first blu-ray. This one features stories from Chika, Riko, and You.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
poo poo yes, I love getting particular. I think the Catholic school point is in the game too - a Zuramaru line, I think?
I'm gonna read that tonight or so. Thanks as always!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Whoa, thanks, Dan!

Riko in this seems to be not anime Riko, which is a shame, but she still has a very cute relationship with Chika! Riko in the anime is great and one of my favorites, but in all the other material, she's the boring shy girl the promo material made her out to be, which is sad. I like her as a girl who wants to express herself but is having trouble doing so, rather than as a girl who doesn't think she has anything worth expressing. I like her as a quirky girl with her own interests who's decided to see if school idols can be one of them, rather than as a girl whose only interest has been avoiding interaction until she's changed by Chika.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Daxing Dan posted:

If you really want to split hairs, the drama CDs and School Idol Festival have their own universes too, since neither of them totally match up with either the magazine or the anime.

Here's the differences in the magazine, off the top of my head
-The decision to close Uranohoshi is already finalized. As soon as Ruby/Maru/Yoshiko's year graduates, the school will close. Also, it's a Catholic school.
-Chika, Kanan, You, Dia, Yoshiko, Maru, and Ruby all kinda know each other already, even before Aqours forms.
-Kanan is Chika's best friend, and the two basically grew up together. She's the first person to join Aqours, at Chika's request.
-Dia is stricter to Ruby, and has never been interested in idols. She isn't opposed to the school idol club, but she refuses to join until she loses a bet to Chika after Chika takes Ruby hostage. The details behind this are unclear.
-You isn't the costume designer. I think Ruby was supposed to do that?
-Yoshiko is incredibly unlucky, and this is the reason she believes she's a fallen angel. So far, everyone in the magazine calls her Yohane (Riko calls her Yocchan also).
-Maru is in the school choir.
-Mari isn't the director.

In other news, I just finished translating Sea Side Diary, the short novel that came with the first blu-ray. This one features stories from Chika, Riko, and You.

Thanks for the translations Dan.

It's weird seeing how many different canons there are. And there's some pretty big differences as well. I wonder if it was a real conscious choice to have them be fairly separate, or if the writers of each respective format just had their own ideas about the characters and story.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'd thought it was due to poor coordination and worrying more about establishing the franchise that about reconciling different ideas for OG LL, but that's it's happened for Sunshine as well strongly indicates that's it's intentional. I can see benefits, it lets fans focus on different aspects of characters and have canon backing for a wide variety of interpretations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Crisis on Infinite Love Lives

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

oh yeah, I did the sequel

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I guess it's just that every single writer that works on Love Live wants to take things in a completely different direction. And, in at least one case, one writer can't even agree with herself, since the manga and the school idol diaries for the original Love Live were both written by Kimino and the characters have some major differences in backstory and personality between the two series.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

In any age, In any place, the deeds of school idols remain the same

emormu
Jan 16, 2012

The Sunshine Nesoberis are slowly being released. Just got the jumbo Chika one the other day.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hoping I get my hands on one of those at Anime Boston next year.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm hoping to get some at Otakon next year.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

They put up a preview of the next Sea Side Diary on the official website, so I translated it for now. This one contains what I believe is half of Yoshiko's first chapter. The full version comes out November 25, so I'll try to have a real translation out within 2 weeks of that.

Also, I felt like it was a bit unfair to dump the third years' interviews here and not the rest, so here those are as well, for anyone who's interested.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Couldn't find any at NYCC this year, just the usual Love Live figures and random blind box merch, plus some posters and such.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I was gonna ask, where do peeps usually pick up their LL merch? Is it just through cons or like Crunchy Roll/AmiAmi etc? I've had this urge to get some sunshine stuff haha

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Good Listener posted:

I was gonna ask, where do peeps usually pick up their LL merch? Is it just through cons or like Crunchy Roll/AmiAmi etc? I've had this urge to get some sunshine stuff haha

I get a bit at the big con I go to in the summer, but mostly amiami. Got my Nico figma straight from good smile for the bonus face plate. What I mainly do is, I find a relatively big ticket item I want on amiami, preorder it however many months out, and then add other smaller stuff that comes out the same month. When the month comes, I then add anything that's been out and is still in stock, so that it all ships together. I end up doing this once or twice a year, most recently for a Nico t-shirt and the Maki figma. So far, all I have Sunshine-wise is a pair of pens I got shortly before the anime aired (Riko and Mari, my early favorites... no Dia :negative:).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

oh, and the sequel to that

also a short meme-y YoshiMaru by the same author

more to come, I love Mezashi's art so much

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Good Listener posted:

Giant conventions like otakon and anime expo, and ami ami for exclusives and preorders

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm not certain where this pic came from, as it's not up on good smile's site, but:

:rip: my wallet (maybe for Chika, almost certainly for the eventual Riko and Dia)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I get a bit at the big con I go to in the summer, but mostly amiami. Got my Nico figma straight from good smile for the bonus face plate. What I mainly do is, I find a relatively big ticket item I want on amiami, preorder it however many months out, and then add other smaller stuff that comes out the same month. When the month comes, I then add anything that's been out and is still in stock, so that it all ships together. I end up doing this once or twice a year, most recently for a Nico t-shirt and the Maki figma. So far, all I have Sunshine-wise is a pair of pens I got shortly before the anime aired (Riko and Mari, my early favorites... no Dia :negative:).

About how expensive are the nesobiri in a con? I found someplace online that has a jumbo nico nico one (22cmx40cm) and I might just get that if it's the same price at a convention anyway.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I appreciate the help~ The biggest con I go to every year really is Ohayocon which is nowhere near Otakon/Expo levels. I spose I'll just keep tabs on amiami then. I see some stuff there but it seems to be a lot of little side things like ticket pass holders and such.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Sweet Lord Jesus Christ zura

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Good Listener posted:

I appreciate the help~ The biggest con I go to every year really is Ohayocon which is nowhere near Otakon/Expo levels. I spose I'll just keep tabs on amiami then. I see some stuff there but it seems to be a lot of little side things like ticket pass holders and such.

Good Listener posted:

Let me know and I will be your personal shopper at the massive cons. I usually go through the dealer rooms on Sunday so I have no problem being your literal avatar and buying things for you.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Ryand-Smith posted:

Let me know and I will be your personal shopper at the massive cons. I usually go through the dealer rooms on Sunday so I have no problem being your literal avatar and buying things for you.

Oo well I will definitely keep that in mind for the future. I appreciate the offer~ :3

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

About how expensive are the nesobiri in a con? I found someplace online that has a jumbo nico nico one (22cmx40cm) and I might just get that if it's the same price at a convention anyway.

I think I got my jumbo Nico for something like $30-35.

emormu
Jan 16, 2012

Good Listener posted:

I'm in the NYC area so I check out Kinokuniya near Bryant Park weekly. They have been slowly picking up Sunshine stuff. Picked up these recently (not having a best girl is expensive):

They had these Nico figures recently on display two weeks ago, but since I spend all my extra money on Nesoberis (online orders) I couldn't consider picking them up.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Omg, there is a weeb store in the middle of NYC? I could've been visiting that when I visit my friend every few months!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ahahahaha I told my friend and he was already out in midtown so he's taking a subway there now.

emormu
Jan 16, 2012
Forgot to mention that Image Anime at 242 West 30th Street, between 7th & 8th Ave has a number of the LL nendroids as well.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think I got my jumbo Nico for something like $30-35.

Yea I got my Rin for like..around $40 with tax at a con? It wasn't more than that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

emormu posted:

Forgot to mention that Image Anime at 242 West 30th Street, between 7th & 8th Ave has a number of the LL nendroids as well.

Ffffuuuuuuuuu

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

emormu posted:

I'm in the NYC area so I check out Kinokuniya near Bryant Park weekly. They have been slowly picking up Sunshine stuff. Picked up these recently (not having a best girl is expensive):

They had these Nico figures recently on display two weeks ago, but since I spend all my extra money on Nesoberis (online orders) I couldn't consider picking them up.

I really should go there more, especially since I have a friend who works at the cafe there on the 2nd floor who I haven't seen for a while now, but not having much money to spend there when I want something puts a damper on that. Maybe when my NYCC paycheck comes in, since I've been meaning to buy more LL CDs there anyway.

I go to Anime Castle on Union Street in Flushing a lot, but they really don't have much LL stuff there besides figmas and nendroids, and it's kinda a trip for people who don't already live nearby or have other stuff to do in Flushing. Forbidden Planet in Union Square has much the same in terms of figures and sometimes other random small LL merch, it all depends on what they buy for their anime counter there.

I have a friend I met at a con a couple months back that just moved here from China recently, and he gets pretty much all of his LL merch via amazon.jp, based off of his recent Facebook postings on the subject.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 31, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

New issue of the magazine came out

quote:

"We always spend our days by the sea with boxed drinks"
Message from Chika:
Our school, Uranohoshi Girls' Academy, stands at the top of a cape jutting out to sea.
The seaside road at the foot of this hill just runs through the mandarin orchards that take up every bit of free space on the cape.
Just a single thin road, winding through a field of orange.
All the adults ride up and down the road on little trucks, but we students just have to walk, obviously.
The old ladies in Uchiura say that back before cars became commonplace, people would be travelling along the road with baskets and wagons filled with mandarins.
Is that why our school doesn't have any drink vending machines?
Once, when I was watching TV and I saw this city school with this massive vending machine full of bottled sodas, I was just so surprised, I had to report back to Kanan right away!
And she got mad at me for blowing things out of proportion♥
Ehehehe♪
Well, c'mon, I was really just that surprised!
I mean, they've got cola at school! Seriously!? What a shocker! The city is just so amazing, isn't it!?

The one vending machine at our school sells... milk in paper cartons.
Regardless, they sell like hotcakes, so the machine is nearly empty by the time class lets out.
Without a cafeteria or even a school store, the vending machine is the only place to do any shopping at Ura High. So, even if everyone's already sick of it, they always go to the vending machine anyway.
Out of the six buttons on the machine, three are for milk, and the remaining ones are for strawberry milk, fruit au lait, and the last one is a rotating surprise menu.
Today, it's the #1 most popular item, coffee milk, so You dashed over and bought some for all of us♥
Yay♥ It's so sweet and tasty♪ Thanks, You!

That's basically how a day goes for us by the sea.
This small joy might be too small compared to what you'd find at a city school, but I love it, and I'm happy we're together like this.
That's why...
I'll keep on trying my best for Aqours. I hope we can leave behind everlasting proof that we were here.

Riko:

quote:

"I hope that the wind blowing across from the sea will carry my heart to you"
I never knew the wind blowing in from the sea could feel so refreshing until I came to this town.
Everyone in Uchiura tells me it might be fun to play by the sea every once in a while, but it gets boring when you see it every day. But, I think maybe that's not so true.
The sea might look the same every day at first glace, but it actually isn't.
Whenever I look at it, I get lost in its deep colors, and there's a different, refreshing wind blowing every day.
It leaves me breathless each time.
It appears as if it's the same wind every day, but it blows past me differently every day.

I feel like it's just like our life.
It may seem like we're always doing the same thing here,
but when you look closer, you see that our faces change every day, and my chest is filled with new joys each time.
Those are the smiles of the members of Aqours, who I met here in Uchiura♥
We smile with joy simply because we're together with each other.
We're always in the same place, but we shine with a different smile every day.
If that's the power of school idols that Chika talks about, then maybe I'm the one who's gained the most of that power♥
That's why, even while I'm waiting for everyone else to get here, I'm still smiling.

And because I'm like this, I hope that I can ride the sea breeze and become an idol who can bring smiles to everyone.

Mari:

quote:

"Always heart to heart with my partner♥"
I've liked riding horses ever since I was a little girl♥
Oh, but when I talk about riding, I don't mean that annoying, formal British style. When I ride, I do it cowboy style!
Horses don't talk, but they really are smart animals, and I've always liked them♥♥
With just the slightest movements, it understands what I'm thinking.
Just by making eye contact, we understand everything about each other.
He's always been my #1 best friend.
And he never lies to me, either♥
When I'm riding across a field on my horse, I can forget anything bad that's happened!
It's just too bad there's not a lot of places for me to ride in Japan.
I'm sure Starbright here also wants to run across a wide, open field, but right now, riding two laps around the edge of the island in the morning and evening is the best we can do.
Sorry, Starbright. But, you understand how it is, right?
Ufufu♥♥♥

I'm just not so good at explaining things with words.
I seem to be the type to communicate what I'm feeling in my chest through my skin.
Whenever there's something on my mind, I hold him tightly, like this.
When we're touching skin to skin like this, I'm sure everything will be OK♥
Will you come hug me tightly someday, too?
Okay? You'd better. It's a promise♥♥♥

quote:

OUR PRIVATE LIFE: Hanamaru
"Working girl Chika is so cool!"
Woah!
Woah, woah, woah, woah!
I can't help but let out a loud scream.
"Shh! Be quiet, Maru! I'm about to get to the good part♪" Chika raises her arm, brush in hand, and speaks sharply to me without looking away.
"Oh, S-sorry, I was just so surprised that-" I start, before hurriedly covering my mouth with my hands.
Chika's hand starts to move again, and I stare silently.
Her hand moves vigorously.
And, her upper body moves dynamically along with it.
She hums as she works.

Wow, she's totally getting into it♥
Chika's arm keeps flicking about, paying no heed to my gaze.
The words she's finished writing are:
"May Thousands of Guests Pass Through Our Doors", "Please leave your luggage here", "Washroom", and "Today's Menu."
Chika's beautiful calligraphy, so different from my usual image of her, always surprises me a little♥♥
"Wow, Chika, your writing is always so amazing! Could I ask you to do some for my temple, too?"
"Okay♪ Leave it to me!" she says, and this time, she writes:
"Shrine room", "Main temple", "Higan memorial services", and "Please remain quiet in the hallways."
Chika and I are an inn girl and a temple girl.
Today, we've met up once again for one of our customary calligraphy meetings.
Autumn is event season, so there's these jobs to do, too.
Today, we'll be working hard to help our family businesses out, zura♥
And the comic:

Thoughts:
-Maru and Chika's story is cute. Chika has actual talents and life skills! It looks like magazine Maru and Chika have known each other for long enough that they have a tradition of holding calligraphy sessions together.
-Apparently Uranohoshi has a third uniform, for maximum merchandising potential.
-I don't think I've seen RikoMaru before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Daxing Dan posted:

-Apparently Uranohoshi has a third uniform, for maximum merchandising potential.

third? All I can think of are the light short-sleeved summer one we'd seen up to now and then this new dark long-sleeved winter one.