Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ciaphas posted:

Do we know who leaked the taxes to NYT?
One guess is Marla Maples. She was also on those forms and if she said "Yes, I release them" I believe the Donald can't do poo poo nor dick about it, at least not in a timeframe of "before the election."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lozzle posted:

Not a clue. Suspects so far include:

Marla Maples. Donald's least favorite kid. Taffy? Stephanie?

Edit: joking aside, Marla makes a ton of sense based on what the person above me just said. :stare:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It was Putin

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

GalacticAcid posted:

so who's excited for all the trump costumes this halloween

Even if it's topical, going around as a klansman is still pretty gauche.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Honestly, I get why people are still Arzying despite all the good news this past week. I mean, I personally think Clinton's going to win unless something absolutely game-changing happens, but I'm not going to be confident until the results are in and I see TRUMP LOSES BIGLY in big flashing letters on the screen.

There's so much at stake this year - the presidency obviously, but a Trump win gives the GOP control of all three branches and 35 states, never mind how much worse President Trump could be than a generic R - which is going to make a lot of people nervous. Democratic votes have this year have produced some awful results. And most of all, Trump is an open bully, a grifter, a narcissist with fascistic tendencies who doesn't even try to hide it and produces an ever-expanding list of scandals, controversies, and unbalanced statements, any one of which would be enough to sink a conventional campaign, and still he's come this far with none of his abhorrent poo poo sticking to him or shaking his base. And then one week of bad decisions from Hillary's campaign nearly put him level.

This past week has been really encouraging that finally it's sticking, finally it's catching up with him, and I know that realistically even if he stops self-imploding the damage is likely done. But there's still six weeks to go and it's still really hard to shake the fear of what if. What if Assange really has something concrete behind his bullshit this time? What if Trump stumbles his way into some killer attack lines at the debates? What if, at the end of all, enough people see Trump for what he is and decide that that's what they want for the country?

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Find a poll that isn't the LA Times tracker that has Hillary down. One that isn't at least 2 weeks old. Go on.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/upi-cvoter-25825

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

GalacticAcid posted:

It was Putin

You have failed me for the last time, Donald :doom:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Crain posted:

Even if it's topical, going around as a klansman is still pretty gauche.

:lol:

Apraxin posted:

The Stakes

Yep there's a lot at stake. If you're nervous, volunteer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Because the poll is conducted online and individuals self-select to participate, a margin of error cannot be calculated.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Corncob is a dumb term and using it unironically is 4chan-level unfunny.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

NaanViolence posted:

Hmmm interesting point

Have you considered perhaps, as a counter-argument, that you should suck on my rear end in a top hat?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Night10194 posted:

The biggest sign she's winning right now is that loving Rasumussen has her up.

Seriously, Rasmussen had R-money up like 3 points or something on ELECTION DAY last year. If even they think Hillary is winning she's doing fine.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

"Because the poll is conducted online and individuals self-select to participate, a margin of error cannot be calculated."

Sounds legit.

e: goddammit

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suppose part of it is also just the uncertainty of waiting to see if the latest major hit actually did anything. I felt the same way right after the DNC until a bunch of polling came out and showed he got destroyed.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I love when people who never post in this thread try to tell people what to post.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

computer parts posted:

Because the poll is conducted online and individuals self-select to participate, a margin of error cannot be calculated.

Oh, huh. Haven't taken stats class in years, what's the difference between a margin of error and credibility interval? "Because the poll is conducted online and individuals self-select to participate, a margin of error cannot be calculated. The poll has a credibility interval of 3 percentage points." The huff post page (http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/upi-cvoter-258250) says the margin of error is 3%, so they must be conflating them somehow.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

NaanViolence posted:

Nope

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Seriously, Rasmussen had R-money up like 3 points or something on ELECTION DAY last year. If even they think Hillary is winning she's doing fine.

I think it's kind of ridiculous to discredit the Rasmussen poll on that point when it was 4 years ago and they certainly could have updated their methodology to fix the problems they had back then. They may still have a bias, but they were wrong last time and it would make sense if they tried to fix things and be better this time around.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

vyelkin posted:

Trump will take that property he just bought down the street from the White House and renovate into the Trump White House and pretend he's the president and hold court there with all his cronies making up a fake cabinet, while he pursues aggressive litigation trying to prove the election was stolen.

I envision at least once a week he'll get all the press together and point towards the WH and bitch about Hillary and her election rigging and blaming her for everyone's and everything's problems

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I wonder how much jealously rear end has for Snowden.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
legit corncob owns and I will force it into national memetic status through sheer force of will

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I think it's kind of ridiculous to discredit the Rasmussen poll on that point when it was 4 years ago and they certainly could have updated their methodology to fix the problems they had back then. They may still have a bias, but they were wrong last time and it would make sense if they tried to fix things and be better this time around.
Except they still show a significant R lean vs other pollsters this election.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

NaanViolence posted:

Your red text is deserved.

Oh, huh. Haven't taken stats class in years, what's the difference between a margin of error and credibility interval? "Because the poll is conducted online and individuals self-select to participate, a margin of error cannot be calculated. The poll has a credibility interval of 3 percentage points." The huff post page (http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/upi-cvoter-258250) says the margin of error is 3%, so they must be conflating them somehow.

It's some kind of Bayesian thing. I haven't taken stats or probability in forever either but I'll look into it.

Rasmussen leans substantially R like every election year.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

They lean R so consistantly that if you add +x(I wanna say 3 or 4?) D to any result they have they actually become one of the most accurate pollsters out there.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
And the news cycle said HA!

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/782796191419465728

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

According to Wikipedia:

quote:

For example, in an experiment that determines the uncertainty distribution of parameter t, if the probability that t lies between 35 and 45 is 0.95, then

35≤t≤45 is a 95% credible interval.

Which doesn't really help things.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

According to Wikipedia:

Which doesn't really help things.

I found a pretty in-depth explanation from Ipsos:

https://ipsos-na.com/dl/pdf/research/public-affairs/IpsosPA_CredibilityIntervals.pdf

Bayesian probability is very much not my thing though so I can't say I fully understood it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

I suppose part of it is also just the uncertainty of waiting to see if the latest major hit actually did anything. I felt the same way right after the DNC until a bunch of polling came out and showed he got destroyed.

The debate did serious damage too.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Oxxidation posted:

So is Robert Costa, like, capable of astral projection or something, because this guy's privy to a downright eerie amount of insider info.

Costa worked at the National Review for a while and he's basically spent his entire early career cozying up to conservatives and learning how to speak their language. He's simply really good at what the does without having drunk the kool-aid himself.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I believe that a bunch were thrown out because they want to redo them to take into account this weekends bombshell.

I really doubt it because polls aren't exactly cheap.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Night10194 posted:

I follow Predictwise because I think betting markets are a good way to estimate the impact of events before polling can catch up, and also account for the possibility of big surprises that would shake up the race. Oddly, it hasn't moved at all since this tax story came out yesterday, which says the consensus is: this won't really hurt Trump any more than everything else that's happened over the last week.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Polls as a whole shouldn't really be taken seriously more than a week out from the election. Humans are simply too fickle for them to be reliable this far out.

It's a lot more predictive (and reassuring) to see how Romney did in the last election and then try to realistically figure out how Trump wins any states that Romney didn't win.

Hilldawg has this in the bag.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

"Vince, I need you to fake your death. Only from beyond the grave can you become the most dangerous campaign operative in the world."
"Anything for you, Future Madam President."

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

NaanViolence posted:

Polls as a whole shouldn't really be taken seriously more than a week out from the election. Humans are simply too fickle for them to be reliable this far out.

It's a lot more predictive (and reassuring) to see how Romney did in the last election and then try to realistically figure out how Trump wins any states that Romney didn't win.

Hilldawg has this in the bag.

Yes I too trust the predictive power of nebulous speculation over scientific polling and statistical models. :rolleyes:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

lozzle posted:

Not a clue. Suspects so far include:

Somebody at the IRS.
The accountant who verified the tax return.
Marla Maples.
Somebody on his campaign staff.
Barack Obama?

The postmark and return address suggested that it had been mailed from Trump Tower.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

lozzle posted:

I found a pretty in-depth explanation from Ipsos:

https://ipsos-na.com/dl/pdf/research/public-affairs/IpsosPA_CredibilityIntervals.pdf

Bayesian probability is very much not my thing though so I can't say I fully understood it.

It's basically the Bayesian thing of updating your beliefs about the world based on your initial beliefs about the world + the data you observed.

For example, say you thought you probably had a fair coin. And then you flip it N times and get H heads, and T tails. Then you can calculate the probability that the actual probability of getting a heads is p, using Bayes rule and your prior of probably having a fair coin. And then you can add up the probability that p = p1, p = p2, p = p3, etc., until you've got the probability that p is in some interval [p1, pn]. And then what you do is find the interval where there's a 95% probability that p is in that interval (and most likely set it up so that there's a 2.5% chance you're above the interval, and a 2.5% chance that you're below the interval).

That's all fairly straightforward Bayesian calculations. The big thing is:

Ipsos posted:

In order for this approach to hold true, one must assume that the sample design is “conditionally ignorable”, meaning that, once we control for the biases mentioned above, there is not a relationship between one’s likelihood to participate in an online survey and the variables we want to measure. Ipsos is taking steps to ensure that its online samples are conditionally ignorable, such as combining multiple opt‐in online panel and non‐panel sources. In essence, by combining multiple sample sources, the “holes” in any one sample source can be filled by the other source.

It looks like you really need to make sure you've designed your sampling technique correctly. And I think you'll also need to have a fairly good idea about the current state of the world (in terms of how likely a given poll result is, and how likely an individual based on whatever variables you're controlling for will answer the poll and answer it in a given way).

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Instant Sunrise posted:

The postmark and return address suggested that it had been mailed from Trump Tower.

The postmark merely confirms that it was mailed from New York and you can write literally whatever you want as the return address.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 3, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Dems got their work cut out for them to convince the younger crowd to vote for Hillary.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

you can write whatever you want on an envelope for a return address, and then just mail it from a collection box in that area

an old trick to scam the mail system is to write your address as the sender, and you recipient address as the return address, and then put insufficient postage on the envelope so it is 'returned' to the person you wanted to send it to anyway :ssh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That was published September 19th. PPP's polling on the debate said it made like 44% of the millennials watching more likely to vote for her. I don't think this is one to worry about too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Obama won bigly in 2012 despite white Millennials going for Romney by like +10. They're an important bloc, but not a kingmaker because a huge chunk of them are still in the 18-24 bloc that never loving shows up.

Is there data showing that she's down significantly among minority Millennials?

• Locked thread