Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Calling out Superman in Injustice is certainly inspiring, if it's the set of panels I think you're talking about.
WW: "Superman is no despot"
Plastic-Man: "He's literally sitting on a throne."

It is

Not going to post it, as it's apparently an entire issue, but you can read the whole sequence here
It's real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The Injustice universe is what I feel would have happened if Earth 3 had survived COIE and been merged into New Earth with the worlds that canonically did

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Technically, there is a limit to Plastic-Man's powers, he can't change his colors :v: he has to work with what he has. Which actually means his son is an even better shapeshifter than he is- his son can change his colors at will.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Technically, there is a limit to Plastic-Man's powers, he can't change his colors :v: he has to work with what he has. Which actually means his son is an even better shapeshifter than he is- his son can change his colors at will.

Now someone post that last page from JLA #65.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

I have no idea if this is the one you mean but it illustrates my point about "can't change his colors" pretty well :v:

"Touching" and inspiring :pervert:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thanks!

Also.... what?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
namor destroyed their earth with a really big comic book science bomb

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Plastic Man is a former crook trying to do the right thing. He was also created by the legendary pin-up artist Jack Cole. He's way better than Mr. Fantastic

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
What's funny to me about the reveal of the "Warden" in that Injustice issue is that This little doozy was my first exposure to Plas as a kid.

Incidentally, how fast can Eels change himself? Cause it looks like he's outracing Barry Allen Flash with those fingers...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Supposedly Freddy Krueger's shape changing was inspired by Plastic Man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Stumbled upon those injustice plastic man panels in the funny thread

Veotax posted:

Injustice Plastic Man is pretty great.

What are some good runs i should check out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

What's funny to me about the reveal of the "Warden" in that Injustice issue is that This little doozy was my first exposure to Plas as a kid.

Incidentally, how fast can Eels change himself? Cause it looks like he's outracing Barry Allen Flash with those fingers...

Plastic MAn changes at least as fast as Elongated Man who is canonically established as being able to compete with Barry Allen's speed with his shifting. (That was one of the things he was originally introduced with, his shapeshifting and stretching was 'rocket-fast.')

That probably doesn't hold up to SPEED FORCE GOES FAST Flash but at very least their shifting is absurdly fast.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

site posted:

Stumbled upon those injustice plastic man panels in the funny thread

What are some good runs i should check out?

The original Golden Age Plastic Man stories by Jack Cole are some of the best comics ever made. The good news is, they're public domain and you can read them for free (and legally) here.

Even though those early comics are actually still extremely readable, there's a chance you would prefer something more modern. In which case, you want the 2003 series and this special from 1999. This 80 page giant will also give you a pretty good overview of Plas's history.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some of the early stuff is a bit ww2 propaganda heavy in its characterisations. As you'd expect from comics in the early 40's.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

God bless Joe Kelly's Plastic Man character arc.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Joe Kelly really wasn't appreciated enough in his day

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

He really wasn't. His Superboy run was off to such a good start but he bailed on it due to being overworked but there was so much potential there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Following Grant Morrison and Mark Waid will do that. Did Joe Kelly create Faith or whatever her name was? I'm not going to call her a Mary Sue, but she was walking the line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Following Grant Morrison and Mark Waid will do that. Did Joe Kelly create Faith or whatever her name was? I'm not going to call her a Mary Sue, but she was walking the line.

Yeah Faith was terrible. But he gave us so many bright spots that I can forgive him for Faith.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Doh totally forgot to look at this today thanks for the recs benito I'll check those out

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Yeah Faith was terrible. But he gave us so many bright spots that I can forgive him for Faith.

What about the super white supremacist story? I remember that being a dud.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Golden Perfect was good, the Plastic Man one shot was amazing, the Fernus story was great and had one of the better Flash moments of the era in it. And it lead into the JL Elite series which is even more underrated than normal Joe Kelly comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'm just poking holes. Joe Kelly was my first monthly JLA writer, but I have a foggy memory. I remember a story with a monkey. Who was on the replacement JLA during the Obsidian Age? I see Nightwing, Green Arrow, Hawkgirl (because Captain Marvel refused), the Atom, and Firestorm, but I don't recognize the last two.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Faith and Major Disaster. Neither of them took off at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

Faith and Major Disaster. Neither of them took off at all.

Well MD's character arc has him try to kill himself and then going to AA. He sort of gets a happy ending.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh he was cool. He just didn't launch as a character anyone wanted to use besides Joe Kelly,.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Someone is going to dust off MD ten years from now. Him and Damage will wipe the slate clean while the character find of 2025 creates a new universe

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, it was part of the whole Faith thing, so...

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

violent sex idiot posted:

namor destroyed their earth with a really big comic book science bomb

Wasn't that fixed by the end of that whole crossover?

What series is this?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

I remember a story with a monkey.

JLA #91-93, not by Kelly, and well worth forgetting because not very good at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Wasn't that fixed by the end of that whole crossover?

What series is this?

The end of Secret Wars is confusing because now we know there's an 8 month gap since the end and all the current comics, but we don't know exactly what of the pre-SW did or didn't happen in the new universe. Like, apparently Namor and the Illuminati did blow up some planets, but Steve Rogers and Iron Man didn't beat each other to death in the middle of the desert. It's kind of just waiting to see what writers pick and choose to acknowledge.

Also those pages are from Squadron Supreme #1.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

TwoPair posted:

The end of Secret Wars is confusing because now we know there's an 8 month gap since the end and all the current comics, but we don't know exactly what of the pre-SW did or didn't happen in the new universe. Like, apparently Namor and the Illuminati did blow up some planets, but Steve Rogers and Iron Man didn't beat each other to death in the middle of the desert. It's kind of just waiting to see what writers pick and choose to acknowledge.

Also those pages are from Squadron Supreme #1.

Well, I think its easier to understand when you realize that some of the people (like Namor apparently) are the guys that were part of the 616 universe that somehow survived the battle world. Others (like Kamila Khan) are new version of the old character and are literally 8 months old and were created when Richards made this new universe. The people that seem to remember events before the secret wars are people that lived through it, survived battle world, and were put back into the new universe.

So when they said Namor destroyed some planets, he did that before secret wars. He has not blown up any plants post. So not many people remember that he did it, but there are a few on Hyperions team that lived through it (the speedster lady who blackbolt saved had a flashback to surviving) So they remember what others don't, even if they don't remember it all in great detail as some of the survivors seem to only remember hints of what happened.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Doug Mahnke drew him changing into something completely different panel-by-panel throughout the entire Kelly run.

Infinitum posted:

Not going to post it, as it's apparently an entire issue, but you can read the whole sequence here
It's real good.
"Hey, thanks, Killer Croc." Love that line.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 3, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I have no idea if this is the one you mean but it illustrates my point about "can't change his colors" pretty well :v:

"Touching" and inspiring :pervert:

I remember reading the Mad Magazine parody "Plastic Sam" in a reprint back in the 1970s. The original is from 1954 and features the "Plastic Man as clothing" gag as well as a sort of horrifying way to injure him. (Both on the left hand page)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Infinitum posted:

It is

It's real good.

Every bit of this is absolutely amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

redbackground posted:

Doug Mahnke drew him changing into something completely different panel-by-panel throughout the entire Kelly run.

"Hey, thanks, Killer Croc." Love that line.

Similar thing was in his role in Dark Knight Strikes Again, interestingly that comic featured all three of the major companies DC acquired over the years in roles of fair importance; Quality(Plastic Man), Fawcett(Captain Marvel), and Charlton(The Question)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

SonicRulez posted:

Every bit of this is absolutely amazing.

Greatest part may just be the Mad Hatter reduced to wearing a folded newspaper.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Well MD's character arc has him try to kill himself and then going to AA. He sort of gets a happy ending.

Then Superboy Prime snapped his neck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

Then Superboy Prime snapped his neck.

I don't remember that so I choose to believe that Booker is living happily in his trailer in the south!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Sigma-X posted:

something easily cured like breast cancer?

OK I read further, I reacted really strongly. Sorry about that. It's often more tractable but it's by no means an easy cure.
Further edit: I deserve about a half-day probation for the original version of the post.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 6, 2016