Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

greatn posted:

I think she notified the present workers one was about to happen

Ahhh okay disregard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So what's the deal with mandatory arbitration, exactly? How's it work? I know it's some way really big companies can tilt disputes in their favor, but I've never been clear on what it is exactly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Night10194 posted:

So what's the deal with mandatory arbitration, exactly? How's it work? I know it's some way really big companies can tilt disputes in their favor, but I've never been clear on what it is exactly.

Arbitration is basically "You and the company go before the arbitrator, who may or may not be paid by the company, to resolve disputes." These are usually legally binding and the results structured to make it next to impossible to take to court if you don't get the result you want if you're not the company.

basically: tl;dr: You're hosed if you're not the company.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Night10194 posted:

Basically it's a contract provision where, if you think the bank has screwed you over, you agree to submit your complaint to an arbitration panel, rather than actually filing a civil lawsuit. It's a really scummy thing to do, since they're basically trapping people in these arcane, opaque, and byzantine procedures that the bank has a much better grasp of, rather than having the dispute resolved in open court where everyone can see it. The fact that most people have absolutely no ability to substantively negotiate contract terms with banks makes it that much worse, since even if you know what you're getting into, you can't refuse to sign the contract and expect the bank to do anything besides laugh at you.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

Buried in the ToS you didn't read you agree to settle all disputes according to arbitration where Dick Hole Bank picks the terms.

It's the judicial equivalent of suing Heritage Foundation and them picking Scalias rotting corpse as the judge.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

as much of a shithead Putin apologist Assange is he doesn't deserve summary execution and it's ironic to see the same people hand wringing over FASCIST TRUMP cheerleading this.

she was probably making a tasteless joke, and it's not like this leak is gonna change anyone's mind. but you don't have to live up to every stereotype of lefty authoritarianism

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Qwazes posted:

If someone told me there was a 5% chance that if I got in a car it would crash, I'd be really hesitant about driving. Even PEC pegs a Trump presidency at 14% right now, and even 14% is way to far from 0 for comfort.

This is from way back but according to this video you actually have a better chance than 5% of that*! :unsmigghh:

Instead of arzying about how you're going to get to work now that you know all cars are deathtraps though why not accept that life itself is a gamble and while Trump should never have made it out of the primary a 14% chance or whatever for him to win the grand prize isn't actually the end of the world?

*over the course of the next year, and it's more 'accident' which likely includes fender benders but YOU'RE STILL PLAYING WITH FIRE

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

iospace posted:

Arbitration is basically "You and the company go before the arbitrator, who may or may not be paid by the company, to resolve disputes." These are usually legally binding and the results structured to make it next to impossible to take to court if you don't get the result you want if you're not the company.

basically: tl;dr: You're hosed if you're not the company.

Glad to see Clinton intends to speak out against this bullshit. I figured it was something like this but had thought it was more 'large companies can afford legal, you can't' type stuff than them being able to pay the arbitrator themselves.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Devil's advocate, doesn't arbitration have a useful societal function to keep the court systems from being more clogged than they already are?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xae posted:

No.

She isn't in the chain of command.

Farchanter posted:

I thought one of the only really questionable things we discovered during the Clinton email investigation was that she ordered drone strikes through the private server. I may have that wrong.

greatn posted:

I think she notified the present workers one was about to happen

Now I wonder how many people think Hillary Clinton used her private server to surpass the chain of command and order illegal drone strikes on her political enemies.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

as much of a shithead Putin apologist Assange is he doesn't deserve summary execution and it's ironic to see the same people hand wringing over FASCIST TRUMP cheerleading this.

With the damage he is trying to do to global stability and the millions of people he is loving with for fun, he absolutely would deserve it. Ideally it would be something out of the Russian playbook like polonium in his tea.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So if you guys are taking this seriously it must mean she actually said it?

Pretty gross if true. Yes, you can say "this only loses her votes with lefties who weren't going to vote for her anyway", but it'd be nice to put someone into office I have an ounce of respect for. I feel like a lot of us are defending poo poo like this because we're keen to shut down criticism of our candidate when the race isn't decided, but eventually she's going to win and we're going to be stuck with the reality that a candidate who casually jokes about murdering people via drone was literally our best option.

I'll repeat my question though, is this real? What are the sources? It doesn't sound like something someone as collected as Clinton would say off the cuff.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

So if you guys are taking this seriously it must mean she actually said it?

Pretty gross if true. Yes, you can say "this only loses her votes with lefties who weren't going to vote for her anyway", but it'd be nice to put someone into office I have an ounce of respect for. I feel like a lot of us are defending poo poo like this because we're keen to shut down criticism of our candidate when the race isn't decided, but eventually she's going to win and we're going to be stuck with the reality that a candidate who casually jokes about murdering people via drone was literally our best option.

I'll repeat my question though, is this real? What are the sources? It doesn't sound like something someone as collected as Clinton would say off the cuff.

Somehow people supported reelecting this monster who casually joked about extrajudicially murdering American civilians, and not even behind closed doors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWKG6ZmgAX4

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

greatn posted:

Devil's advocate, doesn't arbitration have a useful societal function to keep the court systems from being more clogged than they already are?

I'm always hesitant to put credence in any argument that rests on "but the courts are too overworked as it is!" since it seems to me to fall into the same genre of "there are too many frivoulous lawsuits!" in that it smells like corporate disinfo designed to take the heat off of them.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

With the damage he is trying to do to global stability and the millions of people he is loving with for fun, he absolutely would deserve it. Ideally it would be something out of the Russian playbook like polonium in his tea.

^^^ this is what I mean by lefty authoritarianism btw, this guy's a genuine nut who would happily vote for trump if all that anger was being directed at what he considered a worthy target.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

I'm always hesitant to put credence in any argument that rests on "but the courts are too overworked as it is!" since it seems to me to fall into the same genre of "there are too many frivoulous lawsuits!" in that it smells like corporate disinfo designed to take the heat off of them.

It also falls into the traditional right-wing trap of saying "X government program is overworked and underfunded, welp there's absolutely no way to ever fix that as a problem, let's privatize the whole system" when there is actually an easy solution which would be to raise tax revenues and adequately fund the system. But instead we just hand off a bunch of judicial responsibility to private entities that heavily favour large corporations and that's seen as a perfectly fine alternative.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I don't see how this would persuade anyone to vote Trump when he's said much worse poo poo.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Somehow people supported reelecting this monster who casually joked about extrajudicially murdering American civilians, and not even behind closed doors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWKG6ZmgAX4

I'm not the only one that sees the difference here I assume?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

greatn posted:

The solution to that is court-sponsored alternate dispute resolution, not forced participation in a system selected to the advantage of the contract drafter. Here in Massachusetts, the courts have been big in trying to push that-- I know that family court tries to steer as many divorces through ADR and settlement agreements as they can, and courts often have mediators and the like available for civil cases to try to clear the docket.

With mandatory arbitration, you're not really giving a fair choice. It was ruled A-OK in Concepcion and Italian Colors based off the back of the federal arbitration act that requires judges to accept arbitration. You need a change to the federal laws that govern arbitration for mandatory arb clauses to go away, but drat if Congress will do it unless the average person gets up in arms. It's just too abstract for the average Joe to give a poo poo, unfortunately.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah I see what you mean, but I more mean the courts are clogged due to limited budgets, blocked appointments, and nonfunctional state governments.

What if arbitrators were licensed by the state and made up of either retired former judges or lawyers?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
assange is at an embassy in a foreign country

like, killing him with a drone strike would be the single biggest globally-destabilizing thing that the United States has ever done. It would undermine everything about international relations at the most basic level. All the old rules would be out the window.

Yes, it was a joke. If Hillary actually considered it for ONE MOMENT, she'd be the stupidest person to ever work in international relations in any capacity.

And it's a boring, everyday sort of joke people make about inconvenient competitors to their goals. If this affects your opinion of anyone involved you are a dumb person, the end

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I know it's not the same court but when people say "well the court system is overburdened" it's always stuff where someone rich is loving a person over that has no other recourse instead of ridiculous poo poo like this where off-duty police arrest a guy for asking a question in a library public event, kneeing him in the leg, then also arresting a library employee for trying to stand up for him then the prosecutor choosing to go after the both of them.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article105294071.html

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcvey posted:

I don't see how this would persuade anyone to vote Trump when he's said much worse poo poo.

It won't, which is why it is so painful and embarrassing to see supposed leftists trip over their own dicks to talk about how it's totally different when their candidate talks about extrajudicial murder because ~reasons~

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

assange is at an embassy in a foreign country

like, killing him with a drone strike would be the single biggest globally-destabilizing thing that the United States has ever done. It would undermine everything about international relations at the most basic level. All the old rules would be out the window.

Yes, it was a joke. If Hillary actually considered it for ONE MOMENT, she'd be the stupidest person to ever work in international relations in any capacity.

And it's a boring, everyday sort of joke people make about inconvenient competitors to their goals. If this affects your opinion of anyone involved you are a dumb person, the end

Assuming she even said it. Haven't actually checked out the source on it yet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Lol if anyone is taking that wikileaks poo poo seriously.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

greatn posted:

Arbitration is fine in general, as long as both sides agree to it freely (and I mean when it is actually going to happen in real life over a real dispute, not when signing documents about theoretical issues that maybe might crop up in the future) and both sides are satisfied that the arbitration process will be fair.

The problem is that companies are forcing people into mandatory arbitration processes, where they don't agree to it freely and they don't think it will be fair (and for good reason). It is especially egregious in a business that is a necessary service like banking, where people have no alternatives if every single company in the industry is unwilling to perform the service if the customer does not agree to arbitration terms that favor the company.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

greatn posted:

That was the theory but it doesn't work in practice. Turns out private Free Market solutions can't actually fairly replace a court system. The real answer is we need to have stronger, better funded and expanded court systems, legal aid options, and regulatory enforcement.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Lol if anyone is taking that wikileaks poo poo seriously.

No you see the flippant response by internet leftists to a known anti-Hillary Clinton organization tweeting a link to an article from an unreliable website quoting anonymous sources who said Hillary Clinton once made a tasteless joke just proves that leftists are the real Nazis, and furthermore

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It won't, which is why it is so painful and embarrassing to see supposed leftists trip over their own dicks to talk about how it's totally different when their candidate talks about extrajudicial murder because ~reasons~

I wish Hillary Clinton would drone strike your humorless, boring rear end. This isn't a joke

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ah, well thanks for the explainer everyone.

Kinda sinister how easy it is to completely miss the mandatory part.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/mikeshepherdME/status/782942422183604224
:sad:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

Assuming she even said it. Haven't actually checked out the source on it yet.

This. I'm not inclined to defend Clinton's comment if she really said it, but Wikileaks releasing a story that paints them as a victim opposed to the big bad state department seems like a stretch, unless they can confirm what these anonymous sources are.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
If this is entirely based on a Wikileaks story that isn't even a document dump but an anonymous tip and given to a D-list right wing blog, I don't think we should even bother debating Clinton's hawkishness.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is old news, but the BBC in interviewing people who voted against the peace referendum in Columbia and their answer was literally:

"Peace will make life easier for people in FARC. If we stay at war, they will keep dying. Some of our people will keep dying too, but I'm not in an area likely to see any violence and I don't want anything that might make FARC happy."

The purest of spite.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'd genuinely like to know that too. Obviously Obama isn't supervising each strike, so who does? Some general? Some CIA directive? Some dude from middle management?

Obama claims that he personally authorizes every strike because he's wants to take the responsibility. Now, how much time he spends on the information the military/CIA gives him before authorizing a strike, no idea.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

vyelkin posted:

No you see the flippant response by internet leftists to a known anti-Hillary Clinton organization tweeting a link to an article from an unreliable website quoting anonymous sources who said Hillary Clinton once made a tasteless joke just proves that leftists are the real Nazis, and furthermore

*a known anti-Hillary Clinton organization that's run by a rapist who is hiding in an embassy to avoid being tried for said rape.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is old news, but the BBC in interviewing people who voted against the peace referendum in Columbia and their answer was literally:

"Peace will make life easier for people in FARC. If we stay at war, they will keep dying. Some of our people will keep dying too, but I'm not in an area likely to see any violence and I don't want anything that might make FARC happy."

The purest of spite.

As someone who has literally no knowledge of this, what is FARC and why do people hate it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's basically SAs number one competitor, endorsed by Will Wheaton, a sort of proto Reddit.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

every military-republican I know would unironically agree with what clinton said

sounds like he needs to work on that stamina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

As someone who has literally no knowledge of this, what is FARC and why do people hate it?

FARC are Colombian communist rebels who engage in kidnapping, and drug running to fund their long running war with the Colombian government.

• Locked thread