Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

The Merkinman posted:

It sure got you nerds angry!

I'm not angry, I'm just baffled.

EDIT: Since I'm on top of the page, I just got done recapping a Game Gear (I will never do this again) any suggesting for some must have games? I have Sonic, Sonic 2, and Sonic Chaos.

Gorgolflox fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

It sure got you nerds angry!

And it went viral. High fives!

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

falz posted:

It seems that MVS and Jamma pinouts are really really similar, maybe I do something weird like get a 2-to-1 jamma adaptor (they seem to exist), wire the OUT of that adaptor to be MVS, wire one IN to be MVS, leave the other at Jamma. Seems ugly but I guess it would work? Sounds like a bit of a mess though.
Those 2 to 1 adapters are sketchy to begin with and are even more so converters in the mix. I had one work fine in one of my four slots for years, and not work at all in the other. You have a good deal of space in a 4 slot, so swapping out the the MVS and a jamma board with converter should not be that big of a deal. Unless you have a weird conversion cab.

Keep in mind that some games on that 150 cart are hacks, and some have issues:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?219475-150-in-1-Games-List-Broken-Down
That is likely the cart you have broken down by type. Still alot of fun to be had, just a headsup.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Gorgolflox posted:

What was even the point of that?

Because they were parted out and not fit for operation. That's from a Todd Tuckey video from five years ago. And got nerds upset back then! The cycle begins anew!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

fastbilly1 posted:

Those 2 to 1 adapters are sketchy to begin with and are even more so converters in the mix. I had one work fine in one of my four slots for years, and not work at all in the other. You have a good deal of space in a 4 slot, so swapping out the the MVS and a jamma board with converter should not be that big of a deal. Unless you have a weird conversion cab.

Keep in mind that some games on that 150 cart are hacks, and some have issues:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?219475-150-in-1-Games-List-Broken-Down
That is likely the cart you have broken down by type. Still alot of fun to be had, just a headsup.
Thanks. I was able to extract more info, and it appears that this particular cabinet has a MV-1 board, which according to some internet website is an actual JAMMA connector so it may simply be easier to deal with, be it by moving the harness or getting some X-to-1 thing.

Also got a picture of the multi cart, it's a yellow 'Multigame 100 in 1 series 1' so perhaps just an older version of what currently is out there (150 or 161). Really not a huge deal, its a legit board so I'd happily replace the cart. The main thing is the pics show what looks like a really nice 25" CRT.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Rufus posted:

http://www.play-asia.com/namco-arcade-machine-collection-112-scale-pre-painted-figure-ral/13/70ajqv

Well here is one of them. On mobile so yall gotta go to the site to find out more information.

Ah for some reason I thought they were playable. Thanks anyway though!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sup, just wanna let you guys know that me and my Kirby get all the bitches.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So here's an interesting thing that will come out next year:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
What's on the cartridge?!

Also lulz at them just photoshopping a sonic on the top of an actual Genesis.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fishmech posted:

:vince: statue with sega startup audio
holy poo poo it even looks like a genesis

somehow, after all these years, somebody at Sega realized what people want

I'm not even joking, I'm really excited about sega startup audio statue

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I finally got my cheap eBay easycap. Only my mac won't recognize it.

:negative:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

What's on the cartridge?!

Also lulz at them just photoshopping a sonic on the top of an actual Genesis.

I think the only thing the cartridge does is sit there and hold the ring. The package is also available for PS4 and PC.

Here's the fake 90s commercial they put out for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqgkPCEIP8

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Ambitious Spider posted:

Those Easycaps are 1 of 4 (or possibly more) different possible internals. If you can find out the VID and PID of the USB device you can figure out which one you have and then see if anyone knows how to get it working on a Mac. I'm not sure how to look up the VID and PID on a Mac, but if you have a Windows machine around it'll show up in the device manager properties.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

falz posted:

I guess that's not that bad, I'm just tight on space in that rolling the cabinet out far enough to do that would be a chore and would greatly reduce its usefulness.

It seems that MVS and Jamma pinouts are really really similar, maybe I do something weird like get a 2-to-1 jamma adaptor (they seem to exist), wire the OUT of that adaptor to be MVS, wire one IN to be MVS, leave the other at Jamma. Seems ugly but I guess it would work? Sounds like a bit of a mess though.

Ah, yeah, I forgot you'd be dealing with a door on the back. My cab has one on the front, so it's easy to access.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ambitious Spider posted:

Maybe these will be of help, assuming you're using OS X?

https://bentrask.com/easycap/
https://www.maketecheasier.com/grab-vhs-consoles-mac/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFw7wefc3Xw

Note, though: "Reports indicate EasyCapViewer doesn't work on OS X El Capitan".

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yea seems to not want to work on El Capitan, and no fiddling is helping. I'm more disappointed t

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Maybe these will be of help, assuming you're using OS X?

https://bentrask.com/easycap/
https://www.maketecheasier.com/grab-vhs-consoles-mac/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFw7wefc3Xw

Note, though: "Reports indicate EasyCapViewer doesn't work on OS X El Capitan".

Thanks, but Yea, El Capitan is a no go. I've got an older MacBook I might not have updated, but it barely surfs the web these days so even if it works it might not work

Edit: doesn't seem to work on My old MacBook either. Looks like I need to invest in an el gato if I want to try out streaming

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 4, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

Said it elsewhere, so I'll say it here: it's still digital-only, so this package pretty much worthless to me. I can already get a digital copy of the game, and for much cheaper than that, so the price difference is just for a bunch of Sonic-related tchotchkes that I don't have much use for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

so the price difference is just for a bunch of Sonic-related tchotchkes that I don't have much use for.

You say this like it isn't true of every collector's edition? That's kinda the point.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

You say this like it isn't true of every collector's edition? That's kinda the point.
Those collector's editions had physical games to go with them, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
In a similar vein, M2 is doing a limited-edition package for Battle Garegga that includes everything you might want except a physical copy of the game and it's a total buzzkill:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

For a lot of games? Not really, in recent years.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

:confused: and the only difference between them and disc-only versions are useless tchotchkies.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

For a lot of games? Not really, in recent years.
Well that's a waste. Twenty years on, servers have long since been pulled, you can't buy the games anymore - but hey, you can still buy the useless tat we trotted out instead of a proper physical release you can use later down the line!

Really, that's what I'm angry about; not the price difference being solely for the tat - that's just standard collector's edition fluff - but rather that they had an opportunity to offer a physical version so that problem could be averted in the long-term, but decided "nah, our physical release won't have a physical copy of the game, sorry".

This poo poo's already basically completely ruined the physical PC market (everything's a one-time code that's permanently tied to a Steam account now, so why are you even bothering putting out a box again?), and it annoys me to see it creeping to other markets as well - especially given the gaming industry has serious problems with making sure you can play old games on modern hardware, as Red Eye illustrated with his Uncle Buck analogy. Maybe if they got better about that last bit, I'd care less.

Plus, I dunno, the standard collector's edition fluff just feels sillier when the game isn't available physically at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

With so many games requiring a day-1 major patch, even having a physical release is kinda a nonsense concept. Lots of games have just included a code in the retail box (non-collector's edition) or others only include half the game and the other half has to be downloaded.

So having servers that can presumably go down sucks, but even if you have a 'physical release' if the servers are down, it may not be enough. At least not with the game industry treating game releases like open betas these days.

I buy digital for everything these days because I'm lazy and hate having to flip discs, so I don't even care if the collector's edition has a physical disc or not.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mmm, true. With PCs, that's less of an issue since you can always separately download patches for older games and be good, but I don't believe consoles have ever offered a similar kind of system - either you've downloaded the patch from the official server, or you're hosed.

Kinda feels like the 360 and PS3 tried to make console gaming more PC-like, without thinking of how to keep that system working after the relevancy has faded like PCs generally do.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, as awful as it sounds, that's really not Sony or Microsoft's area of interest or care. They really do only care about their current stuff and maybe ways to get you to pay for their back catalog again. Preservation they're just leaving to someone else to worry about in 20 years.

Honestly, with what we see on the broken Vita, PS3 and Xbox 360 side, that's probably the better way to do it, since people can just make their own eternal packages that include patches and dlc and whatever, so that in 30 years you can push them to your emulator or ancient console and play the games fully up to date and finished instead of a (potentially) buggy or incomplete disk copy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Well that's a waste. Twenty years on, servers have long since been pulled, you can't buy the games anymore

Assuming the servers actually get pulled, you'd just pirate them. Which to be fair you already are probably doing anyway for most 20 year old games right now.

Not like you'd be giving the original publisher the money in the first place if you're buying it 20 years on either.

Shadow Hog posted:

Kinda feels like the 360 and PS3 tried to make console gaming more PC-like, without thinking of how to keep that system working after the relevancy has faded like PCs generally do.

I can't speak for PS3 games, but due to the backwards compatibility thing on the Xbox One, which includes supporting online multiplayer cross-generation play, 360 stuff is going to be around for a long while.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's super dumb to not put physical copy in the collector's edition and usually hate all that nonsense. But the kid in me who was super pumped to get a genesis thinks it's =:krad:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
frankly this just feels like the wrong place to tell people that physical releases are dumb and god why wouldn't you go digital

vv ok but it wasn't a response to you

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 4, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not saying physical releases are bad but I am saying that expecting any sort of actual physical release for a $15 indie game is expecting a lot.

Like, I know it's getting a collector's edition but a 1000 disk print run between 3 platforms isn't a good idea.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Caitlin posted:

frankly this just feels like the wrong place to tell people that physical releases are dumb and god why wouldn't you go digital

They don't make em like they used to :smith:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm not saying physical releases are bad but I am saying that expecting any sort of actual physical release for a $15 indie game is expecting a lot.

Like, I know it's getting a collector's edition but a 1000 disk print run between 3 platforms isn't a good idea.

Well it's bit more than just another indie game due to the Sega backing, but yea it'd be a major hassle to do the short print runs for the ps4/xbo anyway. And the PC release would just be a CD with the steam installer on it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Am I the only sperg that's totally excited for the NES Mini and being able to play those games, despite having the entire NES library sitting in a 50 Mb folder of my hard drive and being able to play whatever whenever for over 15 years?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

fishmech posted:

I think the only thing the cartridge does is sit there and hold the ring. The package is also available for PS4 and PC.

Here's the fake 90s commercial they put out for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqgkPCEIP8

Just want to point out that the statue's base is roughly/exactly size of a real Model 1 Genesis in that commercial.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

The collector's edition of Life is Strange had a physical disc in it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Life Is Strange also got a regular physical release on the consoles.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

FilthyImp posted:

Am I the only sperg that's totally excited for the NES Mini and being able to play those games, despite having the entire NES library sitting in a 50 Mb folder of my hard drive and being able to play whatever whenever for over 15 years?

I have most of those games sitting on my shelf and an NES and the latest Retron and I'm still gonna buy it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

I preordered the NES Mini AND a second controller, and I am unreasonably excited for it to release :peanut:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want to get a NES Mini for my kid but the controller cables really are too short for it to be practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

FilthyImp posted:

I'm looking forward to getting one, but I missed the preorder window (was it even open on Amazon?) so I'll have to wait until they're easy to find and people have dissected them like fake alien corpses on YouTube.

• Locked thread