Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/JessicaTaylor/status/783013205350158336

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Trump's numbers in Iowa are high for the same reasons. I'm kinda happy that NC is becoming a more relevant battleground state than OH/IA these days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Le Saboteur posted:

What caused Ohio to go so hard for Trump all of a sudden, it seemed like it was at least light blue up until Hillary's pneumonia?

My guess is normally people who vote R coming home to roost.

Also
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/783013433872711680
https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/783013726098231296

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

"You're not a true libertarian", says not true libertarian.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Bwahahahahahaha!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Kind of annoying in the sense that Hillary is a lovely center-right moderate that thinks basic healthcare and education as a right is asking for rainbows and ponies, but not really anything outrageous or shocking.

Its unrealistic to promise them while Congress is controlled by the fascists.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

readingatwork posted:

Kind of annoying in the sense that Hillary is a lovely center-right moderate that thinks basic healthcare and education as a right is asking for rainbows and ponies, but not really anything outrageous or shocking.

Its a bit hard to really push this angle considering how hard she fought for single payer healthcare as first lady. I think she is resigned that this country is too dumb to let it get passed (see fight over obamacare) and that congress will never let it pass (see the republican house)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Two polls from Colorado today showing Clinton +11%. Sounds like Colorado is safe!

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

cant cook creole bream posted:

Even though the rally she had there a few minutes ago was impressive, Ohio is probably a lost cause.
Ohio is a swingstate in the sense that they are voting for whoever promises the most change in Ohio because no one wants to live in Ohio as it is now. It's filled to the brim with old white men with no higher education.

Eh, gently caress Ohio. Seriously, I'm so loving sick of that state determining the direction of this country. The past 20 years we've relied on that state. With VA leaning blue now and NC as a swing state, OH is no longer the firewall it once was. Good riddance I say.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Subvisual Haze posted:

Two polls from Colorado today showing Clinton +11%. Sounds like Colorado is safe!

It never wasn't. Young, educated, and heavily Hispanic would never see it go to Trump.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
The US has officially suspended talks with Russia regarding Syria due to their role in besieging Aleppo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/w...&pgtype=article

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

HorseRenoir posted:

New Q polls:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/783010909178519552

Clinton up +5 in Florida is good news, I have no idea what's up with Ohio though

dumb dumbs

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

It never wasn't. Young, educated, and heavily Hispanic would never see it go to Trump.

Nevada's secretly the same but they don't poll spanish speakers there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

This election is so weird. Just under 30% of the electorate identify as Republican. I think more people identify as Democrats, but it's still under 40%. The rest are swing voters and independents.

Since a-not-insignificant number of Republicans are sitting on their hands or voting Hillary, for Trump to poll these numbers he must be bringing in more independents than Romney did. That or there's a reservoir of people who haven't been voting or adequately polled in the past who are coming out of their holes for Donald. Kind of like how pollsters couldn't figure out why Trump was getting all the evangelical votes until they realized a big chunk of 'evangelical' voters just identify as that and don't actually care about religion or whether their candidate is an immoral Satan.

What I'm saying is that Republicans aren't 100% to blame for this. Trump's pulling support from other demographics too. I'd accept a 70/30 fault.

You also have to take into account that a significant proportion of people who self-identify their party affiliation as "Independent" are people who don't want to identify as Republican because they think the Republican Party is full of RINOs. A ton of Tea Partiers and Tea Party types identify as Independent so they can pretend they aren't just straight ticket R voters but actually independently minded smart people who thoughtfully address the issues and individually choose the Republican Party every four years.

Those kinds of "independents" loving love Trump but they would have voted Republican no matter who was running.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

This is why the Clinton campaign stopped putting money into it months ago.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That poll basically shows, along with the others, that Clinton is squarely back on the path to victory.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

Nevada's secretly the same but they don't poll spanish speakers there.

The latest Nevada poll, the Clinton +1 one, was done in both English and Spanish:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/politics/election-2016/rj-s-nevada-poll-shows-clinton-and-trump-are-statistical-tie

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Clinton being higher or almost the same in FL / NC compared to PA makes no sense at all.

Not to mention the 10 point gap between FL and OH; which has never happened in a modern election.

Generally good numbers, but the toplines don't make sense. We'll have to see some more post-debate polls.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, I don't think a GOP candidate has ever managed to piss off Hispanics to the degree Trump does.

Not to mention the possibility of his dealings with Castro turning the Cubans on him. Florida's been trending up towards HRC ever since that came out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Reports false:
https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/783014199228264449
:eng99:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.snopes.com/julian-assange-drone-strike/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Which is up like 5 from the previous poll.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Ok. I found the quote, I completely misheard and she didn't use the word insane at all. Thats what I get for trying to listen to the radio with a screaming toddler in the car. Here is what I heard.

Yeah I heard that quote earlier, too. My Far Left friends and media sources are in an uproar at the revelation that what they always knew was true. Hillary is Centrist.

Centrism is something I don't usually think about in American politics. Even the Centrists call themselves liberals or conservatives. (although Hillary refuses the word "liberal")

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love the title of this article!
BTW. The polls-only cast hast her at 69.8% now.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

As a Michigander, Ohio is the loving worst. Though I can't pretend that there aren't a huge amount of people in my state that are also the worst. At least Indiana is somehow still more horrible than Ohio.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Ohio is a lovely state anyway, who needs it

Michigan resident spotted.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Night10194 posted:

Well, I don't think a GOP candidate has ever managed to piss off Hispanics to the degree Trump does.

Not to mention the possibility of his dealings with Castro turning the Cubans on him. Florida's been trending up towards HRC ever since that came out.

According to those polls, Trump is doing almost exactly the same ~20% with Latinos he has been doing for the past 3 months. It's white and black numbers that are moving.

The toplines still don't make sense. Florida has a national republican lean of about 1.5 points and PA has a national Dem lean of about 4 points. That means, according to those Q polls, that Hillary is outperforming by almost 7 points in FL and underperforming by about 6 in PA. It doesn't add up.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My boyfriend is from Ohio, and is very glad he doesn't live there anymore.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't want to TV/IV or anything but Clinton just brought up something that I've faced dozens of times throughout the years running my business. Sometimes I will submit an invoice with terms of 30 days (sometimes 45 depending on the company) and they will conveniently 'lose" my invoice and I won't get paid for 90 days and in a few cases up to 6 months. These aren't small shops struggling to pay out either. They are huge companies with deep pockets that just push payment out because they can. There are times I've been really sweating it not because I'm doing poorly or not getting enough business, but because I haven't been reimbursed to work I did months ago and the terms of the invoice were ignored. There are times I was owed nearly $10k and was told "Oh we misplaced that invoice so we have to resubmit it through accounts payable which will take an additional 45-60 days to process." This isn't even abnormal at this point.

So even though I've done really well and I've grown my company at a very steady rate I sometimes am completely locked in place because large companies routinely decide they don't feel like paying out in a timely manner. There are times I have to find ways to delay a job while trying to save face because I do not have the cash to pay rent, my suppliers, and most importantly my employees, and take on another job. When I say I can't pay I really mean I have almost nothing in my checking and savings after expenses incurred in the process of getting work done.

Can she do anything about it? gently caress if I know, but it's the first time I've heard a politician bring it up.

This happens loving constantly in consulting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crowsbeak posted:

Michigan resident spotted.

Of course we'd know Ohio is trash, we have to live next to it and drive through it any time we want to visit anywhere in the country. When my brother moved out of Ohio to go back to DC after law school he was loving ecstatic.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Trabisnikof posted:

She really gets into to at local events at churches etc in particular.

Hillary Clinton was in Charlotte NC yesterday and her speech at Little Rock AME Zion Church made the front page of the Winston-Salem Journal above the fold.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AlouetteNR posted:

The US has officially suspended talks with Russia regarding Syria due to their role in besieging Aleppo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/w...&pgtype=article
I know I like to quote stuff and say "This doesn't matter" to troll USPOL, but this might actually matter. I mean it's not a big change in the situation, but it's evidence of how badly things have deteriorated in a short time.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Just read about the wikileaks speach move, Is it possible Assange moved the speech from London to Berlin because of Libel laws?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The single biggest thing that has gotten me excited for Iron Abuela is that she exhibits a very high level of understanding in most of the topics she addresses. Like, even if I don't end up agreeing with her conclusion all the time, I can be confident she's done the work and that she gives a poo poo about what she's dealing with.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Night10194 posted:

Of course we'd know Ohio is trash, we have to live next to it and drive through it any time we want to visit anywhere in the country. When my brother moved out of Ohio to go back to DC after law school he was loving ecstatic.

The only good thing about Ohio is that it is a garbage state that nobody wants to live in, so you can get a 3BR house for $500 a month.

Your brother probably is crying a little bit about his food and housing costs now. I lived in DC for 6 years and it is fantastic, but the cost of living is brutal. The Bay Area is just slightly ahead of DC for the highest cost of living in the country.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mr.Citrus posted:

Just read about the wikileaks speach move, Is it possible Assange moved the speech from London to Berlin because of Libel laws?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter since he's in an embassy. If British law applied to the Ecuadorean embassy they would have arrested and extradited him already.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The only good thing about Ohio is that it is a garbage state that nobody wants to live in, so you can get a 3BR house for $500 a month.

Your brother probably is crying a little bit about his food and housing costs now. I lived in DC for 6 years and it is fantastic, but the cost of living is brutal. The Bay Area is just slightly ahead of DC for the highest cost of living in the country.

When I visited him and my best friend out in Germantown, learning my friend was paying 3 times what I do for a similar apartment and that my brother was plopping down more than double my cost on a lovely basement apartment was just eye-popping.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Casimir Radon posted:

Doubt it. Drudge hasn't been relevant for almost 20 years now. Nobody would go to him to break any story of consequence.

Quoting this because I can't believe how loving wrong you are. Like, do you know anything at all about Drudge? IIRC Rush Limbaugh has less impact in the right wing media than Matt Drudge does at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mr.Citrus posted:

As much as I hate it, it's probably just because there are countless people in my country who actually really like that guy.

• Locked thread