Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

boner confessor posted:

lol that he's namedropping probable narcissist macarthur and controversial patton instead of, you know, eisenhower, who became president

macarthur and patton were totalitarian glory hounds willing to kill their own men to give themselves glory

are you surprised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

boner confessor posted:

lol that he's namedropping probable narcissist macarthur and controversial patton instead of, you know, eisenhower, who became president

Eisenhower sent the army into Little Rock. Not a popular action among Trump's base.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

macarthur and patton were totalitarian glory hounds willing to kill their own men to give themselves glory

are you surprised?

personally i dont even think it goes that deep, macarthur and patton would be the names you remember if your understanding of ww2 comes from vaguely paying attention to the history channel

also patton was a glory hound but he was pretty sympathetic to his soldiers pain and suffering, except if you were shell shocked of course. patton was a bastard but he had human emotions at least. macarthur was a total narcissist piece of poo poo tho

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

are you surprised?

Didn't Patton also go 'Man I wish we hadn't gotten to these concentration camps when we did, would've been good to let the Nazis work longer'?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

are you surprised?

Also, Patton was a massive anti-Semite who really didn't have a problem with the Nazis other than his orders telling him to kill them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pakled posted:

Eisenhower sent the army into Little Rock. Not a popular action among Trump's base.

One of the great moments in American history was dropping paratroopers on some racist loving cops

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Didn't Patton also go 'Man I wish we hadn't gotten to these concentration camps when we did, would've been good to let the Nazis work longer'?

He put former Nazis in charge of the "refugee camps" that liberated Jews were forced in to.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
At the risk of sounding uninformed, isn't conventional wisdom that MacArthur was nuts and not a very good tactician?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

are you surprised?

patton at least knew the value of tanks in war and how to maneuver them, but yeah he's a totalitarian glory hound

macarthur and halsey are the two totally unredeemable dick whistle commanders for the US in that era

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A Winner is Jew posted:

patton at least knew the value of tanks in war and how to maneuver them, but yeah he's a totalitarian glory hound

macarthur and halsey are the two totally unredeemable dick whistle commanders for the US in that era

"Where is Halsey the world wonders." "Well I guess I better take longer out of spite."

Though at least Halsey put Spruance in charge.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't MacArthur have a corncob pipe?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheBigAristotle posted:

At the risk of sounding uninformed, isn't conventional wisdom that MacArthur was nuts and not a very good tactician?

macarthur was kind of nuts and, probably, was a narcissist. like for real

he was an ok general but by the time the korean war came around he had lost his touch and was too busy playing god emperor of japan to actually pay attention to that war, which he hosed up badly. macarthur was a much better administrator than he was general

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pakled posted:

Don't forget that he defeated Taft for the nomination. He was definitely more moderate than other options.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/783035898283851778

CNN/ORC was Trump+2 pre-debate.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This is pages back, but this is an incredibly weak attack on Trump, and one I wouldn't even bother with really. First, Trump is not the one buying the steel or aluminum on his jobs, he is probably 4 tiers away from that purchase. Second, it's actually kind of rare for jobs to require domestic only material. I buy lots of import material for hospitals, schools, commercial buildings, etc. Jobs that require domestic only materials do so because they have to, government projects, or ones that get lots of government money, or some places that just want domestic material due to quality concerns.

Third, the numbers this guy uses are wild guesses and nowhere accurate.

quote:

Trump purchased the aluminum used in the Chicago project for what is called the “curtain wall”—the glass and metal exterior designed to save energy. The wall is made with 11,500 panels of thermal pane glass encased in aluminum. Each of the panels is 6 feet, 3 inches, meaning they used 207,000 feet of aluminum; the precise amount of tonnage could not be determined. However, assuming an admittedly light weight of a pound per foot, American companies lost out on more than $350 million in sales.

Someone else pointed this out, but 207,000 feet of aluminum means nothing. Square feet, linear feet, thickness, who knows? There is also no way that the aluminum for the curtainwall on Trump Tower in Chicago cost $350 million, zero chance. Wikipedia tells me the building cost $847 million, so he's saying that 41% of the building cost was in aluminum alone, not even the install. You should probably divide that number by 20. Not that say $18 million is a small number, but he needs to at least make realistic assumptions. He also criticizes him for using concrete for some reason, when Trump has almost no input into that design decision, that is being made by the architect and structural engineer.

Now, Trump could require domestic material, and could directly oversee where things are purchased from, but that is a level of detail that is pretty rare for an owner. I just feel that Trump has so much better things to get him on, that these kind of weak claims aren't really worth it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Winner is Jew posted:

Ramius was right?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I thinknthe craziest thing to kenis that all the momentum is still just off the debate and the Machado issue. This week's shitshow hasn't even hit the polls yet.

I'm not sure what's better, more news hitting at once so the constant refrain is "TRUMP IS poo poo YOU MORONS" or if we would have been better off if it were to trickle to the voters.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
halsey is on the idiot list for sailing his fleet into a typhoon and getting 800 sailors killed

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Remember a week ago when we were certain that the debate would be meaningless and that Trump would "win" it anyway?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Goatman Sacks posted:

I really want a debate moderator to ask him straight up "does your secret ISIS plan involve nuclear weapons?"

"You've got to leave your options open."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Remember a week ago when we were certain that the debate would be meaningless and that Trump would "win" it anyway?

no

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar

Halsey got very lucky that his subordinates were very ballsy and competent and that the Japanese commander hosed up hard.

Otherwise the US would have lost 10,000 - 15,000 men and the invasion of the Philippines would have been much more difficult.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

boner confessor posted:

halsey is on the idiot list for sailing his fleet into a typhoon and getting 800 sailors killed

he was also extraordinarily lucky until that point, with like 50% of that luck coming from how stupidly good US damage control teams were, and another 40% of that luck being how good his subordinates were

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i forgot he actually sailed his fleet into a typhoon twice

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

cant cook creole bream posted:

Even with this windfall of poo poo hitting the fan I'm still not entirely convinced he won't "win" the next two debates for the comeback narrative.

Also the third debate is going to be on friendly territory.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Feldegast42 posted:

Even with this windfall of poo poo hitting the fan I'm still not entirely convinced he won't "win" the next two debates for the comeback narrative.

I dunno, expectations were absolute bottom and he still slammed face-first into that low bar. Also he's gonna go into the next one mad.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Feldegast42 posted:

Second verse, same as the first. Trump couldn't keep himself composed for 90 minutes in a normal debate setting, how the hell is he going to do it in a Town Hall setting?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

boner confessor posted:

i forgot he actually sailed his fleet into a typhoon twice

first one was practice

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I say, two weeks, the mob allegations pop up.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

boner confessor posted:

Oh good, I can't wait for more of your insightful analysis into military history.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wait, the shitbag Reagan son endorsed Hillary too? :O

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

And Jack Ryan was super wrong.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

In terms of 538's model, shouldn't whichever candidate is leading continue to widen their chances as it gets closer to election day. Given that there are less and less chances for major shakeups to shift the likely outcome of the election? Or is it really "anything can happen."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

This is pages back, but this is an incredibly weak attack on Trump, and one I wouldn't even bother with really. First, Trump is not the one buying the steel or aluminum on his jobs, he is probably 4 tiers away from that purchase. Second, it's actually kind of rare for jobs to require domestic only material. I buy lots of import material for hospitals, schools, commercial buildings, etc. Jobs that require domestic only materials do so because they have to, government projects, or ones that get lots of government money, or some places that just want domestic material due to quality concerns.

Third, the numbers this guy uses are wild guesses and nowhere accurate.

Someone else pointed this out, but 207,000 feet of aluminum means nothing. Square feet, linear feet, thickness, who knows? There is also no way that the aluminum for the curtainwall on Trump Tower in Chicago cost $350 million, zero chance. Wikipedia tells me the building cost $847 million, so he's saying that 41% of the building cost was in aluminum alone, not even the install. You should probably divide that number by 20. Not that say $18 million is a small number, but he needs to at least make realistic assumptions. He also criticizes him for using concrete for some reason, when Trump has almost no input into that design decision, that is being made by the architect and structural engineer.

Now, Trump could require domestic material, and could directly oversee where things are purchased from, but that is a level of detail that is pretty rare for an owner. I just feel that Trump has so much better things to get him on, that these kind of weak claims aren't really worth it.

It's only even an attack because he constantly decries the outsources of US jobs to China. If it weren't one of his top 5 talking points it wouldn't be a story at all.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

How anyone can say that Trump is capable of "winning" a debate after that first performance is beyond me.

And I understand that the bar is even lower for him now. I still expect him to limbo under it. He's incapable of staying in control when Hillary attacks/baits him.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Feldegast42 posted:

Of all the debate moderators Anderson Cooper is the one I'd imagine gives the least fucks about Trump or his followers, even ignoring the whole "these people would make being gay a crime" thing which obviously isn't something Cooper's going to be ok with either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dork457 posted:

In terms of 538's model, shouldn't whichever candidate is leading continue to widen their chances as it gets closer to election day. Given that there are less and less chances for major shakeups to shift the likely outcome of the election? Or is it really "anything can happen."

It seems like they take the current polls, apply a "what if things shifted +/- x%", and then spit up a new map.

So time till election really doesn't matter at all.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Man, I'm about a thousand posts behind. Anything exciting happen after the NYT Trump tax leak happened?

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Dork457 posted:

This is what the Nowcast is for, so you can see how it would play out if the election were held tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

computer parts posted:

It seems like they take the current polls, apply a "what if things shifted +/- x%", and then spit up a new map.

So time till election really doesn't matter at all.

Isn't this just how the nowcast works?

Kit Walker posted:

Man, I'm about a thousand posts behind. Anything exciting happen after the NYT Trump tax leak happened?

Yes.

Edit: Okay I don't want to be an rear end.
Trump foundation got a cease and desist, Trumps military tactic amounts to surprise attacks on civilians and stealing a countries resources.

• Locked thread