Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mandalay posted:

Barring unexpected extra travel. I've spreadsheeted out my travel plans tail end of year...

Shouldn't you be able to one-stop it through ORD or PHL? You would still hit over 3k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This is my first year as SPG platinum, so having access to the lounges has been nice. Is there any rhyme or reason to them? I try to stay at Sheratons/Westins where available and I've had varying experiences with the lounges.

For instance,

Sheraton Westport St. Louis - cont breakfast (AM), hors doeurves (PM) but paid drinks (beer/wine/liquor)
Sheraton Imperial Raleigh - hot breakfast, hors doeurves and free drinks
Westin downtown Cleveland - hot breakfast, hors doeurves and free drinks (probably the nicest spread I've seen in a domestic lounge)
Westin Oaks/Galleria Houston - no lounge
Sheraton Universal Los Angeles - cont breakfast, hors doeurves and paid drinks
Sheraton Boston - cont breakfast, hors doeurves and paid drinks
Sheraton Norfolk waterside - cont breakfast, hors doeurves and paid drinks
W Atlanta midtown - no lounge

Obviously, having the option of a free breakfast of any kind is good so I can still take the points as the amenity (and free bottled water whenever I want it), but the ones that offer free drinks and hot breakfast seem like the better ones to stay at. How/who decides what the hotel will offer in the lounge?

It looks like FT had a SPG club lounge thread with the locations that have them, but the link isn't working for me. Has anyone put a spreadsheet like this together?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
is united 1k worth it? i have plat and could get 1k if i want, but would rather award travel

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KillHour posted:

In other news, I was approved for a CSR card. No more waiting in lovely airport food courts for me!
I find Priority Pass to not really be that comprehensive within the US, but I don't know where you're traveling to/from.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

This is my first year as SPG platinum, so having access to the lounges has been nice. Is there any rhyme or reason to them? I try to stay at Sheratons/Westins where available and I've had varying experiences with the lounges.

For instance,

Sheraton Westport St. Louis - cont breakfast (AM), hors doeurves (PM) but paid drinks (beer/wine/liquor)
Sheraton Imperial Raleigh - hot breakfast, hors doeurves and free drinks
Westin downtown Cleveland - hot breakfast, hors doeurves and free drinks (probably the nicest spread I've seen in a domestic lounge)
Westin Oaks/Galleria Houston - no lounge
Sheraton Universal Los Angeles - cont breakfast, hors doeurves and paid drinks
Sheraton Boston - cont breakfast, hors doeurves and paid drinks
Sheraton Norfolk waterside - cont breakfast, hors doeurves and paid drinks
W Atlanta midtown - no lounge

Obviously, having the option of a free breakfast of any kind is good so I can still take the points as the amenity (and free bottled water whenever I want it), but the ones that offer free drinks and hot breakfast seem like the better ones to stay at. How/who decides what the hotel will offer in the lounge?

It looks like FT had a SPG club lounge thread with the locations that have them, but the link isn't working for me. Has anyone put a spreadsheet like this together?

It depends very much on the property and who is running it. Most SPG hotels are not owned by SPG but rather a franchise and the actual owner has a ton of sway over what brand standard is or is not implemented. Some are glorious (like the Sheraton Salzburg) and some are barely passable as a space that humans are allowed to inhabit (looking at you, Sheraton Gunter San Antonio). And many Westin properties have no lounge at all. Something to research when you're looking at a particular property.

In other news, I'm personally of the belief that a meal or drink outside the hotel is nearly always preferable to whatever the offerings are inside. It's nice to have the option, I suppose, but not generally worth steering your spend to over something else within the SPG family.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mad Wack posted:

is united 1k worth it? i have plat and could get 1k if i want, but would rather award travel

Higher upgrade priority and you earn 11x RDM per PQD rather than 9x. Plus GPUs are nice if you do international travel and are willing to buy at least a W fare. I wouldn't spend extra to make it unless you were really, really close.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I find the Marriott concierge lounges to be fairly convenient for light breakfast. I would prefer to eat meals outside the hotel but it's easier to prep in the morning in a space other than a restaurant.

Hotel restaurants are not good as a class, with some exceptions of course.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In the US, that's true. Try the breakfast at the Herod's Herzliya in Israel. :aaaaa:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
On my last trip through NRT I sat next to a woman in her late 20s who had never flown international in economy. Her dad worked for United and, until she turned 26, she got to fly first-class standby where ever she wanted. Our conversation stopped there until a steady stream of questions through the flight would have me dying of laughter:

"Do they give you water back here?"
"What is the food like? I'm not a picky eater, but I don't eat a lot of meat or grains."
"Are we allowed to sleep?"
:aaaaa: "There is ice cream? Like first class?!"

She was really nice, but drat is she lacking in regular people experience.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

MickeyFinn posted:

On my last trip through NRT I sat next to a woman in her late 20s who had never flown international in economy. Her dad worked for United and, until she turned 26, she got to fly first-class standby where ever she wanted. Our conversation stopped there until a steady stream of questions through the flight would have me dying of laughter:

"What is the food like? I'm not a picky eater, but I don't eat a lot of meat or grains."

:laffo:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hey guys, tell me about Chinese visas. I have to make a short trip to China for a client's joint venture partner. It's likely that I will have to do more trips of this nature in the future. It appears I will likely need a multiple entry M or F visa. How difficult is it to get, and what's the lead time?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I did mine through a passport service out of Houston. You'll need a letter of invitation from your customer and to fill out a form. Took less than 2 weeks if I remember from last year. You have to send them your passport along with some extra photos and whatnot.

They'll give you a 10 year multiple entry visa good for 3 months per visit I think, assuming you're in the US.

I can find the name of the service if you want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FunOne posted:

I did mine through a passport service out of Houston. You'll need a letter of invitation from your customer and to fill out a form. Took less than 2 weeks if I remember from last year. You have to send them your passport along with some extra photos and whatnot.

They'll give you a 10 year multiple entry visa good for 3 months per visit I think, assuming you're in the US.

I can find the name of the service if you want.

Thanks, good stuff. I'm OK on the name for now, I think we might have a service we use.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thanks, good stuff. I'm OK on the name for now, I think we might have a service we use.

Yep, what FunOne said. I have a 10 year multi-entry visa after a couple of years of single year multi-entry. We use Travisa but any of the corporate agencies should be able to handle it. There are sometimes odd documentation requirements based on your location (I think SFO and NYC have those) but any of them require an invitation letter that the company you're doing business with in China gets from the government there as well as a letter from your company and several other things beyond the regular visa application and passport photos. It's less obtuse than Brazil but more dumb than many other countries.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
This might be a long shot but i high recommend getting an APEC card. It's great for lot of countries and places.

As for applying it's not too hard but just takes time.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

This might be a long shot but i high recommend getting an APEC card. It's great for lot of countries and places.

As for applying it's not too hard but just takes time.

Just got mine. It took the full 6 weeks of time to get the card, and it LOOKS Asian as gently caress. Not a western design team involved.

That being said, it doesn't absolve you of the VISA requirements as a US citizen for China/Australia/etc. So you still gotta handle that, just a skip-the-line provision.

Heads up, if you already have GE (which you have to have, but you can get at the same time) then your APEC application is fill out the form, pay the money, and drop into a GE center to sign the paperwork. No appointment is required, they'll take you as a walk in. Mine in DFW took less than 5 minutes with a long-rear end line out the door for GE processing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FunOne posted:

Just got mine. It took the full 6 weeks of time to get the card, and it LOOKS Asian as gently caress. Not a western design team involved.

That being said, it doesn't absolve you of the VISA requirements as a US citizen for China/Australia/etc. So you still gotta handle that, just a skip-the-line provision.

Heads up, if you already have GE (which you have to have, but you can get at the same time) then your APEC application is fill out the form, pay the money, and drop into a GE center to sign the paperwork. No appointment is required, they'll take you as a walk in. Mine in DFW took less than 5 minutes with a long-rear end line out the door for GE processing.

Goddamn that's great news. Thanks guys!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Brazil was loving horrible. I had to drive to NYC.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Brazil has a hard on for making it hard on US citizens because you don't let them in and that triggers their enormous inferiority complex. Funniest I heard was a guy who was trapped in Uruguay for a few days waiting for a transit visa to get a layover in Guarulhos. On the flight there no problems but the return was with a Brazilian carrier and they refused to take him on without the visa. I believe he never showed it to anyone because he stayed on international side for the 2 hours he was there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Luckily, once I actually got there, nobody gave a poo poo about the regulations that said I was supposed to drive back a week later and they just gave me a 10 year multiple entry on the spot.

Also luckily, they didn't question why I was going too hard because I technically was supposed to get a VITEM V, which requires a loving FBI background check. Then you have to go to the federal police when you get to Brazil to "check in" so they can find you. And after all that, it's only good for 3 months. :wtc:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't found a better thread to ask this, but feel free to point me to one: I'm planning a trip to Taiwan in a few months; what's the best way to handle currency conversion? I'm an American.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Go to an ATM and get cash out in the currency of wherever you are. Your bank at home will make the conversion at current exchange rates and ATM fees are usually reasonable unless you're in a strip club or something.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Get a Schwab checking account.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I haven't found a better thread to ask this, but feel free to point me to one: I'm planning a trip to Taiwan in a few months; what's the best way to handle currency conversion? I'm an American.

Unless you plan to be there for a tremendously long time or need a massive amount of cash, bank card is the way to go. Just make sure you tell your bank in advance if they are a stupid idiot bank like CapitalOne.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Barry posted:

Seconding this.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Barry posted:

This should be the default best answer for anyone in the US traveling abroad.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
There is nothing quite like a mistaken wake-up call to take a hotel with a bed you can't sleep in to next level awful. Maybe after the 5th or 6th attempt you should check the number you dialed?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Who even uses wake up calls anymore? Do you not have a smartphone with an alarm built into it? Doesn't each room have an alarm clock anyways?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

DJCobol posted:

Who even uses wake up calls anymore? Do you not have a smartphone with an alarm built into it? Doesn't each room have an alarm clock anyways?

Nightmare scenario: You forget to plug in your phone and it dies. You rely on that, so why bother with the alarm (I don't think I've ever used one, tbh).

The only time I've used a wake up call is before a marathon. I also set multiple cell phone alarms, though

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I use them as a backup every time. Why not.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
my primary wake up call is my personal cell phone. my backup wake up call is my business cell phone. haven't failed me yet

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

My smartphone is my primary alarm clock but I'll set a wakeup call if I have a super early flight. I either ignore or unplug the room alarm clock.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

DJCobol posted:

I could forgive the first two attempts but the phone ringing off the hook is crazy. Two calls is all you get, if you aren't up by then you need a different wake up method. On the other hand I can now say I've answered a phone with "why the gently caress do you keep calling me this early?"

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Once overnight my phone lost service and flipped back to the OG time zone and my alarm got skipped. Thankfully my friend's went off but it was a close shave including not filling up my rental car tank and being the last person on the plane.

Never again rely on that.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah right drunkie, your phone forgets its time zone when it loses service, suuuuure. Clearly you've never been a parent if you think anyone is falling for that horseshit.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Deep down this is all about not wanting to wake up and go to school.

Stop the late night video game or hentai binge

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

MickeyFinn posted:

So Cathay Pacific flies JFK-YVR, and it's regarded as the best domestic/transborder flight in North America.

In economy, in standard Cathay Pacific fashion, they give you printed paper menus of the dinner service on board and the meal selections available.

Some American passengers were asking others "do we have to pay for this? how much is it?"

:smug:

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

MickeyFinn posted:

There is nothing quite like a mistaken wake-up call to take a hotel with a bed you can't sleep in to next level awful. Maybe after the 5th or 6th attempt you should check the number you dialed?

I was on a major ERP deployment working night shift 7pm-7am in a factory to ensure the new system didn't poo poo the bed overnight. On the third night day the hotel called me at 11am which was about 3am to my body on my shifted schedule to let me know they had run out of my preferred newspaper and were going to give me a USA Today instead. I had never felt so murderous in my life.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The hotel in Alaska where I once worked would offer wake-up calls for the northern lights. The problem with this plan is that there wasn't any way to see what was going on outside from the front desk (the windows all faced west or east) and there was no foot traffic through the lobby after the restaurant closed. I wonder if the night auditor ever made a single call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

air- posted:

This should be the default best answer for anyone in the US traveling abroad.

Besides Schwab, people should either be using T-Mobile or Google Fi. The international roaming is ridiculous. The free hour of GoGo with T-Mobile on domestic flights is great, too.