Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Centralized training would be good too, and higher standards. In Denmark and other Nordic countries, becoming a police officer is a 3 year college degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I definitely think SWAT teams should be federalized and not left up to whatever local joker got some terrorism funding.

And also not used for serving loving drug warrants.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I think it would help to drill deeper down into why all this is a problem in the first place. There's way, way too many people who still buy lines of bullshit like Trump's "Law and Order" and stop and frisk. Colbert did a great bit years ago about how the NYPD was stopping more black people than even live in the city.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/b9m4e5/the-colbert-report-threatdown---interdimensional-black-people--gay-strokes---manipulative-sicko-monkeys

Yeah I think this is a big part of the problem. It's all well and good to demand police accountability, but the fundamental problem is the number of people who are totally fine with the constant targeting of minorities and the poor. I mean look at the amount of push back Black Lives Matter has had from the media - the fact that a message like "Police should stop murdering black people" is controversial AT ALL is indicative of a serious cultural problem that goes beyond just bad law enforcement.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A lot of it comes down to Americans attitude towards criminals where it's not about reform, it's about punishment. A lot of people are gleeful about prison rape.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just want to say that the short Wells Fargo sketch ruled.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's crazy to me that police reform is a local government issue. Surely it would sit best at state level. It allows for for some nuance and customisation depending on state laws, demographics, political climate etc. but isn't just a bunch of cowboys doing whatever they want.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Looten Plunder posted:

It's crazy to me that police reform is a local government issue. Surely it would sit best at state level. It allows for for some nuance and customisation depending on state laws, demographics, political climate etc. but isn't just a bunch of cowboys doing whatever they want.

Even eligibility is completely random around here. Texas you need like a GED and a driver's license. Minnesota needs a 2 or 4 year degree (in anything) followed by a peace officer training program followed by a state board certification exam.

Some sort of Federal education baseline would probably help the problem too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Looten Plunder posted:

Honestly, ignoring the wider cultural issue regarding punishment vs. rehabilitation, and the race issues, I feel like what probably needs to be done is some kind of hybrid federal/state level system, where basic policing standards are set at the national level, including stuff like hiring/screening practices, training curriculum, etc. to deal with the issue of bad cops just hopping from one department to the next until they find one with lax enough standards to hire them again. Then the more specific details of enforcement could be handled at the state and local level, while also allowing for some kind of national tracking system so that the government can actually get the data they need about police effectiveness, and more importantly allowing that data to be shared with any other police department in the country.

Part of the reason the issue is so contentious is because the system is so compartmentalized - a lot of people probably feel like there isn't an issue because their local police are probably fine, maybe even great, and they don't realize how much it can vary between two departments even within the same city.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Demiurge4 posted:

A lot of it comes down to Americans attitude towards criminals where it's not about reform, it's about punishment. A lot of people are gleeful about prison rape.

Pretty much this, yes. It's still a totally acceptable punchline whereas pretty much everyone agrees that non prison rape is not. It's really hosed up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Aces High posted:

a federally run police force is not really that great, you guys have to look no further than Canada's RCMP. Ask anyone who is even remotely first nations up here about their opinion of them, better yet ask any women that are first nation how they feel about the RCMP.

Hell ignoring the institutional racism they also are responsible for plenty of other retarded poo poo such as tazing an innocent man to death (to be fair it is also upsetting that no one working at the airport was indicted as an accessory or whatever), recently being discovered to have spent a stupid amount of money to "convince" two stoners to plant a bomb at the BC legislature.

Now that may seem like BC has a problem with their RCMP but the FN stuff is Canada's version of #blacklivesmatter and it is very much a problem across the country

I had a fascinating discussion with a dude the other day who told me how he'd spent "years working on helping the rezzes" and how "everything looks pretty good around where I live" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Edward_Island , when I asked him about how the native population was treated, and how the RCMP act.

I guess I got told

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Azhais posted:

Even eligibility is completely random around here. Texas you need like a GED and a driver's license. Minnesota needs a 2 or 4 year degree (in anything) followed by a peace officer training program followed by a state board certification exam.

Some sort of Federal education baseline would probably help the problem too.

Then you have the elected position of Sheriff which definitely shouldn't be a political choice considering their broad powers.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

muscles like this? posted:

Then you have the elected position of Sheriff which definitely shouldn't be a political choice considering their broad powers.
I mean Hunter S Thompson came reeeaaallly close to becoming Sheriff in CO..

Look up the history of coroners in America, up to and including today.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

coyo7e posted:

I had a fascinating discussion with a dude the other day who told me how he'd spent "years working on helping the rezzes" and how "everything looks pretty good around where I live" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Edward_Island , when I asked him about how the native population was treated, and how the RCMP act.

I guess I got told

See this kind of thing is what we should be doing across the country, though. I'm not being all ftp towards the RCMP I'm just pointing out that in Canada we effectively have a similar issue as in the US when it comes to accountability, due process, etc. Again I totally agree that "not all RCMP" are racist but hey I'm sure not all Flint cops hate black people either.

Institutionalized racism, heck they portrayed that pretty well in The Wire even among the black officers

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

I just want to say that the short Wells Fargo sketch ruled.

I'm betting that the Wells Fargo CEO is being offered up as the sacrificial goat for the Hillary campaign while the rest of the bankers who robbed the country enjoy impunity. Furthermore, the Wells Fargo CEO will suffer only light punishment.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jamesman posted:

Haven't watched the full episode yet, but I watched the main story on YouTube.

Talking about police accountability was way overdue, but I really want to them to do a story specifically on Black Lives Matter and disproportionate targeting of people of color. This story feels like a follow-up to a story they never actually did, but that story needs to be done because there's unfortunately a lot of people out there who still don't understand and need that information.

Talking about police accountability is great for those of us that understand that the system is broken, but when people out there don't know or don't believe that, then it doesn't really explain a whole lot. "Sure, police should be punished when they do something wrong, but what makes you think them shooting those black people was wrong in the first place?"

I think the concept of "accountability" is a necessary first step for many people, because there are so many people whose knee-jerk reaction to any police criticism is the same "don't judge by a few bad apples" or #NotAllCops, just like the assholes he featured in that segment who are paid to be on TV to talk about this poo poo. These are also the people who actually believe BLM is somehow a "racist hate group" that hates cops just 'cause and despite almost everyone involved saying "we just want some accountability" can't grasp the idea of a bad cop despite the many cases documented on video or in print, or even that the "bad / dirty cop" has been an American TV / movie trope for decades, because they personally have never had a bad experience, and this is a just world and the people who are supposed to protect us would never do us harm. And if there is evidence that just can't be denied, they can just "no true scotsman" those cases away and remain blissfully and willfully ignorant.

So, it's important to show this, which demonstrates that the system is hosed up on the most basic level, with "gypsy cops" and whistleblowers being harassed and retaliated against, and the police union having free reign to muscle its way into doing whatever it wants and being beholden to no one.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 4, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I think the concept of "accountability" is a necessary first step for many people, because there are so many people whose knee-jerk reaction to any police criticism is the same "don't judge by a few bad apples" or #NotAllCops, just like the assholes he featured in that segment who are paid to be on TV to talk about this poo poo. These are also the people who actually believe BLM is somehow a "racist hate group" that hates cops just 'cause and despite almost everyone involved saying "we just want some accountability" can't grasp the idea of a bad cop despite the many cases documented on video or in print, or even that the "bad / dirty cop" has been an American TV / movie trope for decades, because they personally have never had a bad experience, and this is a just world and the people who are supposed to protect us would never do us harm. And if there is evidence that just can't be denied, they can just "no true scotsman" those cases away and remain blissfully and willfully ignorant.

So, it's important to show this, which demonstrates that the system is hosed up on the most basic level, with "gypsy cops" and whistleblowers being harassed and retaliated against, and the police union having free reign to muscle its way into doing whatever it wants and being beholden to no one.

The thing is talking about accountability only resonates if you already know and believe that there are police committing wrong doings. When you don't believe these "bad apples" exist in the first place, talking about why and how they should be accountable is moot, which is why I felt like this piece should have been a follow-up piece after doing a story on the systemic racism in law enforcement first that highlights why there need to be accountability.

But as long as they hopefully do a story on that in the near future, that would be good.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm really wondering about how local elections are going to go this year, because that's the level at which these things are controlled. Getting a federal crackdown on police departments across the country will be a nightmare to get through congress's bureaucracy and partisan rhetoric, and it's local elections where ordinary citizens can really encourage changes. I really do think that this is a case of an (indeterminate) amount of bad apples, but it's not bad individual officers, it's bad entire departments.

And everybody forgets about the importance of local government in this hyperbolic media environment drowning out everything with the battle of two titans who a lot of people have misgivings about the both of them. In local election every individual's vote matters more. Even if you don't like either presidential candidate, research your local candidates and get out there and vote.

I think the federal election matters more in this case, because of the yahoos Trump has indicated he wants to put on the bench

Nothing will matter on the local level if we got SCOTUS declaring that debt bondage is constitutional and police homicides are always justified

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rated PG-34 posted:

I'm betting that the Wells Fargo CEO is being offered up as the sacrificial goat for the Hillary campaign while the rest of the bankers who robbed the country enjoy impunity. Furthermore, the Wells Fargo CEO will suffer only light punishment.

He won't be able to visit the Bohemian Grove for a month. The horror, the horror...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
John Oliver was angrier than usual, for good reason.

Also, gently caress Billy Bush.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Echo Chamber posted:

John Oliver was angrier than usual, for good reason.

Also, gently caress Billy Bush.

You could actually see his non-gesturing hand shaking with rage.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That delivery was great:
"Look, I can make fun of Kadyrov all I want. Until... he murders me." Perfectly matter of fact.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's was a good segment theme the entire night. It's not hard to connect the dots from Trump through Gitmo to a Kadyrov like regime.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Haha, Billy Bush got suspended for being a "hug pimp".

I don't see how anybody could watch that montage and not want to do SOMETHING.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

As a non-american following the election race mostly from watching Last Week Tonight, I was very amused to find out that Trump has a personal sleazy media sycophant. I mean, I was already aware of the pussy-grabbing tape, but I thought he was just talking to some random guy who just decided Trump was worth five of his minutes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rexides posted:

As a non-american following the election race mostly from watching Last Week Tonight, I was very amused to find out that Trump has a personal sleazy media sycophant. I mean, I was already aware of the pussy-grabbing tape, but I thought he was just talking to some random guy who just decided Trump was worth five of his minutes.

Also in case you are wondering, Yes, he is the cousin of W and Jeb. The same Jeb who was thoroughly trashed by Trump and didn't manage to find any oppo on him. That whole family is so awful.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

cant cook creole bream posted:

That whole family is so awful.

I'm a distant cousin. Through the Pierce family, related to Barbra Bush (Pierce was her maiden name). I'm not sure, but being related to America's alcoholic president seems somehow better than being a Bush.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Am I the only one who never heard about this Billy Bush douchebag until this story came out?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

Am I the only one who never heard about this Billy Bush douchebag until this story came out?

Probably.
I think Dubya's daughter, Jenna Bush Hager, is still on the Today Show too, she reads all her segments like she's reciting a high school book report. No idea when that show became a repository for discarded Bushes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Both Trevor and Sam are hitting it out of the park tonight,. Kinda annoying Colbert isn't new tonight.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Next week: "Look up there, way up. Way past Jupiter. That's where we were last week."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr Interweb posted:

I'd never heard of him either, of course, I don't watch trash like access hollywood.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I'd never heard of him either, of course, I don't watch trash like access hollywood.

Didn't you watch The Soup when that was still on? I thought you were one of like the 5 people aside from me that did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Didn't you watch The Soup when that was still on? I thought you were one of like the 5 people aside from me that did.

Nope, only ever seen clips of it in passing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I watched the Soup. I miss it. And it is where I'd heard the name Billy Bush before, oddly enough.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Scorchy posted:

Next week: "Look up there, way up. Way past Jupiter. That's where we were last week."

This is a picture of the milky way, we are now on the other side of this.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

sbaldrick posted:

This is a picture of the milky way, we are now on the other side of this.

We are officially in the Upside Down.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

tarlibone posted:

I watched the Soup. I miss it.

God, just imagine what they could have done with a reality star and a tabloid telejournalist getting creepy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

I watched Talk Soup, but back when it had that dude from...Community, I think?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I had no Idea who Billy Bush was, but it stands to reason that the people in the Bush family would end up in mind-bogglingly high roles despite displaying absolutely no skills, intelligence, or charisma.

Scorchy posted:

Well apparently Geraldo Rivera's little bombshell that "he and his brother are going through reels of tapes of Donald Trump talking behind the scenes," went full on Al Capone's Vault, and oops actually Geraldo was full of poo poo, and then topped it off by tonguing Trump's rear end in a top hat during an apology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

I had no Idea who Billy Bush was, but it stands to reason that the people in the Bush family would end up in mind-bogglingly high roles despite displaying absolutely no skills, intelligence, or charisma.

Well apparently Geraldo Rivera's little bombshell that "he and his brother are going through reels of tapes of Donald Trump talking behind the scenes," went full on Al Capone's Vault, and oops actually Geraldo was full of poo poo, and then topped it off by tonguing Trump's rear end in a top hat during an apology

Well, as far as Geraldo is concerned, it was the right thing to do... and the tasty way to do it.

• Locked thread