Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

A Batman that kills a bunch of people indirectly/accidentally and shrugs it off is worse than Bat-Punisher. Then he looks incompetent. Nolan's Batman looked like a goof so much in that series.

Batman has never killed anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Roth posted:

I'm really lost as well.

You're arguing with Bravest of the Lamps. You brought it on yourselves.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bale's Batman has no problem with killing, it's just that he refuses to be an executioner.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bale's Batman has no problem with killing, it's just that he refuses to be an executioner.
He didn't drop the beam onto AznRais, even though he threw the fireworks into the open flame.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I agree, Detective was a lot of fun, and the old Red Robin costume is probably the worst costume design of the last ten years.

I hate to agree with D_T, but silly though those wings may have been, at least the N52 Red Robin costume was distinctive, rather than his new look of Robin with an extra R on the logo, or his pre-Flashpoint look of "Hey is that Dr. Mid-Nite oh no wait it's Tim"

e: oh poo poo I didn't see how old the post I was responding to was, nevermind ignore me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So the Monster Men are here! I really liked the art in Batman this week, although the same tired beat of Batman trying to keep his allies out of the action to protect them is dragging the story down a bit. I'm into the action of the team just fighting straight up giant monsters though.

I'm kind of expecting the injections that gave Gotham Girl her powers to be connected to the monsters somehow. What did yall think about the first two chapters of the first crossover of Rebirth?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tangentially, the new episode of the Telltale video game came out yesterday. It's good and seems to be going all in with the unique aspect of the origin story: That Thomas Wayne was a corrupt bastard who drugged Penguin's parents so they'd be declared legally insane and ran Gotham's underworld alongside Falcone and Hill.

They're also very aware of how good the chemistry between Troy Baker and Laura Bailey is, because the best parts of both episodes so far, to me, has been the relationship developing between Batman and Catwoman.

EDIT: Game also has a really grisly Two-Face origin : Harvey gets a stage light pressed into his face by Penguin

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 21, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is it just me or has this Monster Men event been really entertaining? Seeing the entire team in coordinated action taking down giant monsters over multiple issues...it's like every book is Detective Comics right now!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
In the earliest comics he did, before editors insisted that superheroes cease killing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kurzon posted:

In the earliest comics he did, before editors insisted that superheroes cease killing.

Thank you for this never before revealed pearl of comics history that is definitely relevant to anything

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Gimme a cookie, bitch.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I played the first episode of the Batman telltale game. It's pretty fun, although I'm massively disappointed they're basically doing a Year One redux in the sense that it's loner Batman with lieutenant Gordon getting a feel for the city. As people mention all the time the most compelling aspect of Batman is his Family, so it sucks we're missing out on all of that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

For this sort of game it's better to start from the beginning. You get to establish your Batman and his relationships. I'd like to see them add in Robin, and let you decide how to use him. Is he bam and powing right alongside you, or is he used as back up?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I disagree: 1) Batman has possibly the most memetically, culturally understood backstory and beginning of any superhero ever besides maybe Spider-Man and probably Superman. Everybody knows about his early years as Batman, and the word "Robin" has entered popular lexicon as a synonym for the word "sidekick". Everybody knows about Batman and Robin. 2) If there's any part of Batman that's overdone, it's Batman's beginnings, from Year One (probably the single most popular comic book story of all time) to Zero Year to Batman Begins to BTAS and on and on and on. It is well-trodden and I would say fairly tired ground. 3) I'm gonna guess the vast, vast majority of people buying a Batman point-and-click adventure game are already Batman fans, or are at least aware enough of Batman to understand that he has sidekicks.

Now, obviously there's definitely a middle ground that should be reached between "no sidekicks" and "include everyone", because I don't expect the vast majority of the video game buying public would be aware of who like Bluebird and Lark are, but I think the story could've been a lot better or more interesting if it had, say, Robin, Batgirl, and maybe even Nightwing. Because as it stands I'm pretty tired of stories revolving around when Gordon's a lieutenant and not Commissioner (because it's usually based around how impotent he is/how corrupt his department is), Batman being considered a public menace, Batman doing solo stuff, etc.

I dunno. Plus I always feel like the very best Telltale games revolve around how the character reacts and interacts with the people around them, which is kinda the whole premise of Batman's extended family. To me, I'd like to get into arguments with Robin about the unnecessary risks he's putting himself in or hector Nightwing on morality and so on, and seeing their reactions to that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ehh BTAS explicitly did not dwell on Batman's beginnings, that's like the first thing in the series bible. There's a few episodes that detail his training (the Kyodai Ken episodes, Zatanna) but they're always used as a backup for the meat of each episode, same with the Year One style flashbacks in Mask of the Phantasm. In fact I'd argue that the fact that BTAS ran for a year and a half without any kind of origin story at all before Mask of the Phantasm came out underlines their dedication to that edict.

Also I think the single most underdone Batman era in the modern times is when it was just Bruce and Dick so I'd love to see more adaptations move past the "I shall become a bat" phase without jumping ahead into full on Batfamily (as in the Arkham games) or straight to DKR (the movies).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Telltale seem to be focusing on his relationship with Selina (the best part of both episodes thus far has been these two sitting at a table and talking/flirting) and Alfred, as well as using Gordon and Vicki Vale to deal with how the public perceives both Bruce Wayne and the Batman.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Penguin's mask is kinda neat this time around. I like it.

The leader of the Children of Arkham might be Scarecrow, but I think it might be a more obscure Batman rogue: The Key! Escape artist with a thing for mind-altering drugs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Speedball posted:

Penguin's mask is kinda neat this time around. I like it.

The leader of the Children of Arkham might be Scarecrow, but I think it might be a more obscure Batman rogue: The Key! Escape artist with a thing for mind-altering drugs.

I was assuming Strange.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

For this sort of game it's better to start from the beginning. You get to establish your Batman and his relationships. I'd like to see them add in Robin, and let you decide how to use him. Is he bam and powing right alongside you, or is he used as back up?

Sniper. :unsmigghh:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

If Harper's back I'll give Tynion a big ol' smooch on the butt.

I'm puckering up.

https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/783064546672046080

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

James Tynion is my new favorite writer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

James Tynion is my new favorite writer.

Now you're obligated to read his Red Hood, aka the bits even D_T didn't like. :dance:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Now you're obligated to read his Red Hood, aka the bits even D_T didn't like. :dance:

Logically they're good then

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

purple death ray posted:

Also I think the single most underdone Batman era in the modern times is when it was just Bruce and Dick so I'd love to see more adaptations move past the "I shall become a bat" phase without jumping ahead into full on Batfamily (as in the Arkham games) or straight to DKR (the movies).

I liked Origins the least of the Arkham games, but I really wanted a sequel, because the multiplayer of that game is surprisingly fun as hell. Especially when you're on Team Hero. I really really wanted Origins 2 to be about the Bruce/Dick era of Batman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just wanted to play as Bane in the challenge maps.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think at that point they just become maps.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Julia and Bluebird?! gently caress YES THE ONLY GOOD PARTS OF THE TIRE FIRE THAT IS BATMAN ETERNAL

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was not a great ending for Monster Men.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I was incredibly disappointed that the bat-buildings didn't form a giant robot to fight the last monster man.

And yeah, the final confrontation with Strange was the definition of underwhelming.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Orphan's symbol on her building looked more like she's Zsasz's sidekick than Batman's.

It was alright. Yeah, a little underwhelming after the crazy bullshit going on in the earlier issues.

All Star was pretty rad though. Not crazy about the backstory revisions but I'm loving all the ancient rear end characters Snyder is bringing back. He's obviously having a lot of fun writing this.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So let's talk about rogues for a bit. Rebirth has been really killer for bringing back some old and lesser-seen rogues. I had to loving google Punch and Jewlee after reading Batman #9 today. But this is all building to what looks to be a great story featuring one of my absolute favorite antagonists, Bane. Not that Bane is a lesser-seen rogue but gently caress it, he rules. Also can I just say how much the new Batman suit is growing on me?

On this page alone we're namedropping the Tweedles, Kite Man, Condiment King, and Kite Man. In All Star, Snyder has either featured or namedropped everyone from Egghead to KGBeast. Tom King already brought back Colonel Blimp and Captain Stingaree and the first TWO ARCS of the new Batman book look to heavily revolve around loving Psycho Pirate. At this point a gripping saga revolving around Crazy Quilt is all but guaranteed.

When will the forgotten villain craze reach the Breyfogle era and bring back Cornelius Stirk? Hopefully never.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

When will the forgotten villain craze reach the Breyfogle era and bring back Cornelius Stirk? Hopefully never.
It's the Tally Man's time to shine!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
That intro with Bane was phenomenal. I showed it to some people who aren't currently reading Bats and it won them over pretty hard. I'm really excited for the rest of this arc to play out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

redbackground posted:

It's the Tally Man's time to shine!

Wasn't he used a time or two within the last five years or so? I was really surprised how happy I was to see Punch and Jewelee. They're right up there with the Atomic Family as obscure characters I'd love to see used in a modern context.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Marin Karin posted:

That intro with Bane was phenomenal. I showed it to some people who aren't currently reading Bats and it won them over pretty hard. I'm really excited for the rest of this arc to play out.

Shame that we're back to weak willed, drug addict Bane instead of the awesome strategist and steel willed man that beat his Venom addiction by himself.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I loving love Nightwing so goddamn much, poo poo.

This post Monster Men arc is so, so, SO loving good. And I like that it makes a brand new antagonist who is somehow ludicrously powerful while not feeling like a dumb Mary sue.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sorry for double posting but how exactly did Selina end up in arkham? I didn't read N52 Catwoman, so I am only aware of what she did when it crossed over with the other books in major storylines. So I am vaguely aware that she became a mob boss and tried to unseat Penguin or something right? Did she just get taken down by RICO or something?

Also I am of the opinion that Bane is a villain who only works once, like Doomsday. He was created to serve a purpose and every subsequent appearance since that purpose was fulfilled is almost always just a series of callbacks because he's a lethally crippled character. So it's with all that bring said and a testament to the strength of King's writing how personally invested I am in his Bane, because basically every other post-Nightfall Bane appearance has no there there.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Also I am of the opinion that Bane is a villain who only works once, like Doomsday. He was created to serve a purpose and every subsequent appearance since that purpose was fulfilled is almost always just a series of callbacks because he's a lethally crippled character. So it's with all that bring said and a testament to the strength of King's writing how personally invested I am in his Bane, because basically every other post-Nightfall Bane appearance has no there there.

No, the problem with Bane is that far too few writers actually bother to use him at his full potential and instead are satisfied to continue retreading the same plot beats (Venom Addiction, obsession with Batman, breaking spines) again and again and again

Vengeance of Bane II and particularly Scott Beatty's work with Bane (and to lesser degree Simone's Secret Six) prove Bane has potential to stand on his own, as long he isn't reduced to a mere thug.

And while certainly is too soon to judge, King's previous work in Batman and the current direction he's taking with the "I am Bane" storyline, doesn't make me think he will be able to make the character justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Sorry for double posting but how exactly did Selina end up in arkham? I didn't read N52 Catwoman, so I am only aware of what she did when it crossed over with the other books in major storylines. So I am vaguely aware that she became a mob boss and tried to unseat Penguin or something right? Did she just get taken down by RICO or something?

Selina being on Death Row is a mystery that presumably will be revealed in the course of the story. It was one heck of a way to end an issue though.

And I'm afraid I've got to agree with Dark_Tzitzimine there, Bane is much more versatile and interesting than Doomsday. He's seriously one of my favorite villains. I don't, however, agree that Tom King won't do an amazing job with him. Because he will, and he already is.

• Locked thread