Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chris de Sperg posted:

you're all wrong, ezreal should be going sheen -> revolver -> hextech gunblade -> lich bane

dont post the secret corki build please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Try Force EZ is way better than frozen fist right now and if you dont already know that idk what to say.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Libertine posted:

2) Ezreal
He's is 5-9 (35% win rate) and pairing him with a IBG with budget Karma is loving maddening. That's like the lowest possible threat bot lane you can run in the entire roster of champions in the game. How are pro coaches thinking that's a good set of options to run out of the bot lane? It's insane. Here's the loving breakdown to let you know how bad this is:

Triforce Ezreal is 3-1
Sneaky (5-0-5) over I May
Kobbe (5-2-7) (still a great score) in loss to TSM
Uzi (10-0-4) vs Splyce in probably the most digusting dominating game of the tournament besides loving Huhi Sol
Bang (6-1-3) over Cloud 9

Triforce Ezreal summation:
26-3-18 over 4 games on 4 different players

Iceborn Ezreal is 2-8 :barf:
Holy gently caress is Iceborn Ezreal bad.

As a c9 fan I was very happy to see Sneaky take the TF. It paid off well too with him being top damage in the game.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Libertine posted:

Rylai's is obviously one of the strongest items in the game. In response to that fact, allow me to play Orianna, a champion who has literally zero synergy with the item, and requires a build from two seasons ago that has been made vastly less economical in order to function, and then I will lose the game.

Orianna has big ratios and getting the Not Items That Increase Your Ratios is a bad idea on a champion who lives or dies on deleting an AoE of dudes with huge damage mid-lategame, on top of being a champion that already has a strong AoE slow on a 7 second cooldown

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Lets give in to suffering and build essence reaver / ie ez already

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

How Rude posted:

Orianna has big ratios and getting the Not Items That Increase Your Ratios is a bad idea on a champion who lives or dies on deleting an AoE of dudes with huge damage mid-lategame, on top of being a champion that already has a strong AoE slow on a 7 second cooldown

My post wasn't arguing with you, my post was why would you pick a champion that needs Deathcap to be successful.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Libertine posted:

1) Karma
Super sick of budget support Karma rushing a Ruby Sightstone, sitting on a rank 1 blue dagger, building a Locket and not doing jack loving poo poo all game. Why pick Karma to build like that? Why would anyone do that? I was so happy to see Albus Nox Luna smashed the loving poo poo out of that with Support Brand who actually rushed support gold item generation and had the budget to do a goddamn thing in a team fight.

I've been similarly unimpressed. I think the expectation is that you use her to smash bot lane and then transition into something like Janna after laning phase is over, but that seems like a losing proposition unless you really shut out the enemy duo. If all you're building is a Locket and Ruby, your Mantra E's are going to be piss at actually keeping a critical target alive (which is one of Karma's few strongly scaling additions to a team). I may well just be missing something about the team comps they're running where it isn't a big deal, but I haven't been especially impressed with any of the Karmas in the games I've watched (in comparison to, say, Alistar, who's carried a few games now).

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Work Friend Keven posted:

Try Force EZ is way better than frozen fist right now and if you dont already know that idk what to say.
i p much agree but am willing to admit there's probably a reason ibg has been favored 10/4 so far and it's likely not just to piss off plat players.I think we've also seen a 100% winrate on triforce skarner.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i remember when mouse was 1/6/0 on top lane irelia and built three damage items, but ~plat players~ wouldnt understand this pro level itemization

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

dont post the secret corki build please
i am genuinely surprised we haven't seen triforce-gunblade-bloodthirster corki yet, it's basically taliyah/aurelion sol except with a slightly weaker lvl 1-6 and even stupider trades

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

If we get to see some older junglers come in that would own. Gimme some Diana and Evelyn and Fiddlesticks and Ammumu and Nautilus and goofball poo poo like Twitch awwww yeah.

Also bring back Diamondprox and jungle Nasus TIA

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Eve is getting popular in Korea again but Lee Sin beats the absolute poo poo out of her so she's not very likely to end up played unless we're in the territory of 5+ jungle bans

edit: unless EDG busts it out because they apparently do not care about what either team is trying to do

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I'm pretty on the fence between Triforce/IBG but IBG has a lot more utility and is also pretty great against the whole 'build 50 flat arpen on Jayce/Varus/Jhin/etc' family of builds. A lot of the things you pay for in the Triforce really aren't that great on Ezreal (attack speed, health, etc). Nearly 1700 gold of its 3600 gold worth of base stats come from health and AS alone.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
on the other hand ibg does literally loving nothing about the following:

- nidalee eating your face
- all of the ap midlaners obliterating you 700 range because you have no phage procs to run away with
- that tower over there with 3000 hp
- the enemy adc killing you faster than you kill them

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

blah_blah posted:

I'm pretty on the fence between Triforce/IBG but IBG has a lot more utility and is also pretty great against the whole 'build 50 flat arpen on Jayce/Varus/Jhin/etc' family of builds. A lot of the things you pay for in the Triforce really aren't that great on Ezreal (attack speed, health, etc). Nearly 1700 gold of its 3600 gold worth of base stats come from health and AS alone.

Ezreal does need attack speed, it's one of the reasons BotRK is the most common third item on him.

I honestly don't understand why the Iceborn Gauntlet build didn't completely fall out of favor when Patch 6.8 dropped the spellblade AD ratio significantly. As it stands on live Triforce spellblade AD effect is 2x the Iceborn one.

Also the icy zone on Iceborn Gauntlet scales off of bonus armor, which Ezreal will never build at any point in the game, so he basically only applies the basic zone. It's not very compelling to me at all.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Libertine posted:

Ezreal does need attack speed, it's one of the reasons BotRK is the most common third item on him.

I honestly don't understand why the Iceborn Gauntlet build didn't completely fall out of favor when Patch 6.8 dropped the spellblade AD ratio significantly. As it stands on live Triforce spellblade AD effect is 2x the Iceborn one.

Also the icy zone on Iceborn Gauntlet scales off of bonus armor, which Ezreal will never build at any point in the game, so he basically only applies the basic zone. It's not very compelling to me at all.

I'm not just saying this to disagree with you but I think part of it is ez already builds a tear which delays his power spike and he can't afford to rush pure offensive items towards tri while already behind as part of his kit/core. Usually we see tear into sheen + glacial components and it likely helps stop him from losing lane even harder than he would be during this buildpath because even just cloth helps a ton against laning phase adc damage, not to mention the mana he gets from being able to build an extra gem. When we do see tf it's because he or his team is already ahead enough he can afford to skip that part.

Maybe I'm wrong and the complete ibg is important at keeping people off him/giving free chase and that's why they favor it but either way it's certainly not from pure ignorance.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Work Friend Keven posted:

Lets give in to suffering and build essence reaver / ie ez already

Well Essence Reaver is blue, so clearly we should shove it into blue build.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Uzi came back to lane with a large lead and easily could have built toward a first item TF but instead bought a bunch of garbage towards an IBG and neutralized his own lead. i think an IBG is still reasonable if you're picking Ezreal because the enemy team just plans to dive the absolute poo poo out of you, but that's really specific.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kirtar posted:

Well Essence Reaver is blue, so clearly we should shove it into blue build.

obviously we need the patented qtpie blucian to shake up the adc meta

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ArbitraryC posted:

obviously we need the patented qtpie blucian to shake up the adc meta

Does it work in top lane?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no, sadly, the loss of the lane swap meta has ruined the game

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm not just saying this to disagree with you but I think part of it is ez already builds a tear which delays his power spike and he can't afford to rush pure offensive items towards tri while already behind as part of his kit/core

In season 4/5 the build was manamune/tri. Was played mid and bot. It takes 20mins to stack the tear and get to gold to complete both at which point you are by far the strongest champion in the game.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Firebert posted:

In season 4/5 the build was manamune/tri. Was played mid and bot. It takes 20mins to stack the tear and get to gold to complete both at which point you are by far the strongest champion in the game.

im a garbage player with garbage builds and garbage opinions I'm just saying a smart man wouldn't look at pro choices and say they're dumb for not doing x they'd look for reasons why x might not actually be that strong of a strategy in the pro meta

e: as an addendum they would also recognize that x winning in 100% of the few games it was actually used is less evidence of why it's a good strategy and more evidence that it's only viable under certain conditions, obviously it is known that the option exists it's just not normally utilized and there are probably reasons for that outside of intentionally throwing or stylistic choices.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 4, 2016

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Ibg means ezreal has no power spike. teams are weirdly obsessed with making him into the weakest utility adc

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ArbitraryC posted:

im a garbage player with garbage builds and garbage opinions I'm just saying a smart man wouldn't look at pro choices and say they're dumb for not doing x they'd look for reasons why x might not actually be that strong of a strategy in the pro meta

assuming that their choices might have merit simply because a pro made them is actually pretty dumb

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

assuming that their choices might have merit simply because a pro made them is actually pretty dumb

a majority of pros!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

counterpoint: meteos is on a worlds team

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

counterpoint: meteos is on a worlds team

but he's not on the majority of worlds teams!

I do see your point tho

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Pro teams played Ez mid and Corki bot comps many times this season
LCK supports have been rushing ruby sightstone for months
Sightstone Rek'sai...

Pros are often just as retarded as a low-elo players and their decision making isn't unimpeachable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

EDG, who are theoretically one of the best teams in the world, have a HUGE issue with their pick/ban and team composition in one specific way that I identified months ago, and they aren't doing it for some extremely next level reason we can't understand, they just have faulty reasoning and haven't been sufficiently punished for it. They're not right to continue making this mistake because they're pros and im a huge Woolite fan

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I thought Triforce Ezreal was the snowball build, so I don't think comparing win rates versus the standard build is very constructive

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Libertine posted:

My post wasn't arguing with you, my post was why would you pick a champion that needs Deathcap to be successful.

i know, i was continuing the line of conversation. I have no idea but even if you do take her you should be building not like an idiot in the first place.

edit: Triforce does much more damage than Iceborn on account of it providing 100% more base damage on the sheen proc, attack damage, and a shitload of attack speed, all good things a champion in a role for doing damage want. the damage from iceborn just isn't cutting it anymore after repeated nerfs from patches ago

How Rude fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 4, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Smol posted:

I thought Triforce Ezreal was the snowball build, so I don't think comparing win rates versus the standard build is very constructive

I don't understand this line of reasoning at all. It's not a choice depending on whether or not you are snowballing, it's a choice between whether or not you want to be useful.

If you are talking about a two item power spike, the expense of Triforce is offset by the cheapness of Manamune and the two combined make one of the biggest power spikes in the game as others have pointed out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Pros in pretty much every sport have a tendency to kind of fall in a groove of doing what they think works and not really examining the results of it to see if it really is working. Even the best players and coaches can sometimes have glaring blindspots, which cascades to the rest of the sport because ultimately most of the players/coaches that aren't the consensus top guys end up just copycatting who they think is the best.

Also the problem with calling Triforce Ez a "snowball build" is that if you build IBG on an Ezreal that's behind you're basically just resigning him to not being a damage threat.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Libertine posted:

I don't understand this line of reasoning at all. It's not a choice depending on whether or not you are snowballing, it's a choice between whether or not you want to be useful.

If you are talking about a two item power spike, the expense of Triforce is offset by the cheapness of Manamune and the two combined make one of the biggest power spikes in the game as others have pointed out.

I haven't played League in like a year, so I don't really know what build is good. But if we assume that Triforce build is the snowball build (which is how it was explained to me), its win rates aren't that comparable, since by definition its users were already snowballing the game and would probably win with any build.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that last line is sort of funny because RNG lost a game at least in part because a two kill during early laning Uzi went IBG build and was a huge reason for why they ended up doing nothing

edit: going IBG with a lead is stupendously bad. it was more okay during the lane swap meta but in standard lanes it's not going to do a ton for you. imagine a rylais with no AP on it, and that's current IBG in lane.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I think if we've resigned ourselves to the idea that the pros are wrong and build icb in the majority of games because them and their coaches are dum dums we're prolly not gonna make much progress in identifying the advantages and disadvantages of one over the other.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

lay out the advantages for the IBG build for us to discuss, you seem fairly convinced of it and i'd like to know as Ezreal is my second favorite ADC!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's more that people looked at the advantages and disadvantages of it, decided Triforce is generally better, and because of that think the pros and coaches are dum dums for not seeing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
People are saying Crumbzz was fun to listen to, which games/streams was he casting or was he only on the analyst desk post-game?

• Locked thread