Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is this thread so much more level headed and civilized than all the other general political threads/boards?

We're all state actors who agree ideologically and simply must continue peacefully until the opportunity to implement full communism now appears.

You should see the discourse when conversation shifts to Lenin and Marx!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm really strongly in favor of community armories, gun safes, anything that puts even a trivial barrier between suicidal thoughts and pulling the trigger - but do you think people would voluntarily use them?

My big idea could dovetail into yours, kind of a halfway house transitional step between being in the structured, high-stress environment of the military and being at loose ends in the community at large. Some time with a support structure of people who had similar experiences to you, career/education/financial planning, establish a physical and mental health care plan, and a "home base" of people who already know you that you can turn to if things ever go bad in any aspect of your life. A decompression chamber.

This came up in the crazy political forwards thread a few years ago:

I think they almost hit a good idea. Why not offer guaranteed work at elementary schools for newly separated veterans where they can help kids with arts and crafts projects and Tee-Ball games? Keep them far away from guns of course, but I think it'd help them get reconnected to the world while they reintegrate with society.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think they almost hit a good idea. Why not offer guaranteed work at elementary schools for newly separated veterans where they can help kids with arts and crafts projects and Tee-Ball games? Keep them far away from guns of course, but I think it'd help them get reconnected to the world while they reintegrate with society.
"Guaranteed work" for veterans? Can we get some spongeing layers of contractors in there so we can funnel more money into the pockets of GOP donors, somehow?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Night10194 posted:

This year wikileaks accused its detractors of being part of a global jewish conspiracy.

They also claimed the Panama Papers release was a Soros/Jewish plot because they implicated Putin and some Russian businesses.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Spiffster posted:

After the week trump just had I feel that anything Wikileaks has would, if done correctly, break even. And that's a worst case scenario. If they really had anything to show they would have done it by now. Most likely Trump and Friends will continue trying to get out of the hole they dug by continuing to dig down and be smug about it.

Could be wrong and I could go back to Arzying but I at least have my :smuggo: back in the meantime.

They have to actually have something first.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Protecting children is sitting around doing nothing all day. That sounds like a pretty good dream job. Sitting around doing arts and crafts? Nightmarish

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ego-bot posted:

They also claimed the Panama Papers release was a Soros/Jewish plot because they implicated Putin and some Russian businesses.

Say, was there any link to Trump in the Panama Papers or were they exclusively for ACTUAL movers and shakers and not pretenders like him?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Night10194 posted:

Say, was there any link to Trump in the Panama Papers or were they exclusively for ACTUAL movers and shakers and not pretenders like him?

Yeah he had a bunch of shells.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is the worst idea I've ever seen

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Assange isn't alt-right, (((establishment))) aside. The guy who ghostwrote his autobiography has a great essay in the LRB about working with him. He's a raging, pathological narcissist with a clinical lack of empathy, but insofar as he has any coherent ideology at all it's that all large organizations, especially governments, are persecuting him.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

NikkolasKing posted:

If it's any consolation, the Religious Right is dying according to what I've read. It doesn't have the power now that it once did.

Can't say I'll miss 'em. I might have been a Republican (probably not but still a vague possibility as opposed to completely impossible) if these bastards hadn't hijacked the Conservative movement.

And personally I like Wikileaks. I don't think they have something that will destroy Hillary but it be interesting if they did.

I sort of bought into the "if only the GOP could free itself from the religious right, then they'd be an okay political party!" line of thinking before, but the last couple years have exposed that line of thinking as sadly naive. The alt-right movement demonstrates that an American conservative movement with religious elements excised can be just as horrible, if not worse than still containing the religious right.

Basically no matter what way you slice it, the GOP is a party composed of horrible people united almost solely by their hatred of everything not like themselves.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Assange isn't alt-right, (((establishment))) aside. The guy who ghostwrote his autobiography has a great essay in the LRB about working with him. He's a raging, pathological narcissist with a clinical lack of empathy, but insofar as he has any coherent ideology at all it's that all large organizations, especially governments, are persecuting him.

That sounds like the alt right to me

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

They have to actually have something first.

There is always a chance they are bluffing, true. I am the kind of person that will always assume there is something they do have that will throw a monkey wrench into the gears to ruin a good week. I can wish at best it's something taken out of context and they are trying to spin something basic into a huge ordeal or all talk but until then I will worry.

The only difference though and why I'm not :derp: is that the course of one debate has changed the makeup of the polls drastically and I feel comfortable again in the presidential race. Most of my attention has shifted to Senate and local races at this point. Really don't want to have to worry about Clintons chances against Trump again. It's bad for my blood pressure.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BiohazrD posted:

This is the worst idea I've ever seen

The one in the picture, or the one I had?
Because I'm open to it being bad, but worst ever?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Another reason to vote for Hillary Clinton: There's a strong chance we'll get to see Samantha Bee host the White House Correspondent's Dinner :getin:.

On the other hand, I can't even imagine who Trump would get to do it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-donations-charlie-crist_us_57f2e982e4b0703f75909bb3

quote:

Donald Trump contributed 10 times as much money as was allowed by law to the 2006 gubernatorial campaign of Florida’s then-Attorney General Charlie Crist, according to a Huffington Post review of state campaign finance records.

The donations that exceeded the limit were all made on the same day through companies Trump owns. Trump did not disclose the connection, and regulators did not identify the gifts as coming from Trump. All told, Trump made nine contributions of $500 to Crist’s campaign on Aug. 25, 2005, for a total of $4,500. At the time, the maximum allowable donation in Florida from an individual or corporation was $500, a sum that Trump had already given Crist’s campaign as a personal donation in June of that year.

HuffPost first identified three of the nine companies last month, and has since identified another six Trump companies that made contributions over the legal limit. “It’s pretty clear in this case that Trump was secretly buying influence without regard to the rules,” said Brendan Fischer, associate counsel at the nonprofit Campaign Legal Center.

The donations reveal the previously unknown scale of Trump’s illegal giving to attorneys general in Florida, a state where Trump has a variety of business interests and a long record of legal problems. They also illustrate how far back Trump’s disregard for campaign finance rules extends — to long before 2013, when his charitable foundation made a now-infamous $25,000 donation to the campaign of Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi.

According to Fischer, Trump appears to have committed a number of violations. “One is Trump exceeding the $500 campaign contribution limit,” and possibly doing it multiple times, he said. “Then there’s the possibility that Trump violated disclosure requirements, which exist so that voters can see who is supporting a candidate. And under Florida’s straw donor ban, you can’t use an LLC to evade the contribution and disclosure laws.”

The newly discovered companies include Indian Hills Development; the Mar-A-Lago Club, Trump’s private club in Palm Beach; TIHT Commercial LLC, a holding company Trump registered at a non-existent office on Eighth Avenue in New York; 845 UN Limited Partnership, a company Trump used to develop a building in Manhattan in the 1990s; 220 Management Company, a holding company Trump operated for a building his father, Fred Trump, owned; and Trump International Golf Club LLC, a Trump golf course in West Palm Beach, 15 minutes from Mar-A-Lago.

All but one of the companies appear on Trump’s financial disclosure form, an accounting of a candidate’s financial interests that is mandated by the Office of Government Ethics. At the time Trump made the seemingly illegal donations, he had a number of major projects underway in Florida whose success or failure relied on a friendly state government.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Adam Baldwin

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

cult member at airport posted:

Milo.

Yep.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Another reason to vote for Hillary Clinton: There's a strong chance we'll get to see Samantha Bee host the White House Correspondent's Dinner :getin:.

Chris Christie in a jesters outfit and he will make him dance for dimes. He is a sad little monkey when Trump is involved in his life :sad:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hannity four years straight.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Shifty Pony posted:

We have no conversation to be derailed from.

The major problems with rent control in the US is that in the US the rent control largely does not carry over between tenants. That provides a set of very perverse incentives for landlords to try and force tenants out of their units so they can bring the rent up to market rate for the next tenant. It isn't all greedy landlords though, cities love to shift property tax burdens from homeowners to rental stock owners.

Rent control also insulates rent-controlled tenants from the consequences of housing policy. This is most evident in San Francisco where rent controlled tenants have teamed up with homeowners (enjoying their own form of rent control via prop 13) to systematically block any meaningful densification of the city. The rent controlled people don't care about the skyrocketing rent that results (until those perverse incentives get strong enough and they get kicked out via illegal Ellis Act evictions) but new residents are hosed.

Why is that San Francisco is so liberal but doesn't give a poo poo about cost of living?

The Economist?

Nope.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

We're all state actors who agree ideologically and simply must continue peacefully until the opportunity to implement full communism now appears.

You should see the discourse when conversation shifts to Lenin and Marx!

So, what do you guys think about Karl Marx? How about Lenin?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

:laffo:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SALT

OVERLOAD

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I know that this idea conjures up warm mental images but watching kids is very hard and very stressful. I want my kids taught and supervised by trained educators, not by someone whose most recent brush with school was intense military training.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Spiffster posted:

There is always a chance they are bluffing, true. I am the kind of person that will always assume there is something they do have that will throw a monkey wrench into the gears to ruin a good week. I can wish at best it's something taken out of context and they are trying to spin something basic into a huge ordeal or all talk but until then I will worry.

The only difference though and why I'm not :derp: is that the course of one debate has changed the makeup of the polls drastically and I feel comfortable again in the presidential race. Most of my attention has shifted to Senate and local races at this point. Really don't want to have to worry about Clintons chances against Trump again. It's bad for my blood pressure.

He probably has something but it's of zero consequence at all. Assange is so far up his rear end he thinks a pebble is mount Everest.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

U-DO Burger posted:

I know that this idea conjures up warm mental images but watching kids is very hard and very stressful. I want my kids taught and supervised by trained educators, not by someone whose most recent brush with school was intense military training.

Maybe switch it out to animal shelters. You know what I'm getting at though, right?

The one thing about the proposal to put them in schools working with kids is that it opens up the question "Is it safe to put someone with PTSD in a school?" The answer is obviously no, but maybe it'd actually lead to people taking the problem seriously instead of letting them kill themselves off 20 at a time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is this thread so much more level headed and civilized than all the other general political threads/boards?

The paywall helps if you mean by comparison with reddit etc., but it's also the fact that we still use actual human moderators who put in a lot of work making sure that all the trash gets taken out on a consistent basis.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If you can't find the incredible trainwreck joy we would get from a Scott Baio hosted Correspondent's dinner than I can't help you.

Or maybe it'll be Ivanka spending 30 minutes making uncomfortable jokes about how much her father wants to cram his greasy slimy cocktail wienie inside her.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

WHAT IS HAPPENING

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

He probably has something but it's of zero consequence at all. Assange is so far up his rear end he thinks a pebble is mount Everest.
Assange is desperate to keep himself in the public eye because as soon as he's out of stuff, it's only a matter of time before he ends up on the street, and then it's either begging the Russians for asylum or extradition somewhere that he absolutely does not want to be. I figure all of this meaningless crap is just trying to buy time until someone gives him something actually newsworthy to leak.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Azathoth posted:

Assange is desperate to keep himself in the public eye because as soon as he's out of stuff, it's only a matter of time before he ends up on the street, and then it's either begging the Russians for asylum or extradition somewhere that he absolutely does not want to be. I figure all of this meaningless crap is just trying to buy time until someone gives him something actually newsworthy to leak.

He's also desperate to be paid attention to because, you know, narcissist.

I bet he loving hates Snowden.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe switch it out to animal shelters. You know what I'm getting at though, right?

The one thing about the proposal to put them in schools working with kids is that it opens up the question "Is it safe to put someone with PTSD in a school?" The answer is obviously no, but maybe it'd actually lead to people taking the problem seriously instead of letting them kill themselves off 20 at a time.

I think so. We need programs that help reintegrate veterans and help them feel connected to society?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is that San Francisco is so liberal but doesn't give a poo poo about cost of living?

I have yet to see any organized group that really cares about cost of living, Europe included.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Economist?

Nope.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/07/opinion/reckonings-a-rent-affair.html

Rent Control if one of the most studied things in economics. It doesn't work.

And stop being a dumbass who won't read articles because you don't like a publications politics. The Economist is a well respected publication when it comes to economics.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Night10194 posted:

Well yeah, that too, but I'd say that it's more his paranoia than anything else. I bet he thinks that anytime he sees a group of people he doesn't recognize at the Embassy that they're the ones who are gonna slap a bag over his head, then drag him out to a waiting car, then drag him to a waiting airplane, then drag him into a waiting CIA black site.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The paywall helps if you mean by comparison with reddit etc., but it's also the fact that we still use actual human moderators who put in a lot of work making sure that all the trash gets taken out on a consistent basis.

That's true, but it doesn't explain why C-SPAM is still so unreadable. Once they added the animated background I gave up on going in there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

U-DO Burger posted:

I think so. We need programs that help reintegrate veterans and help them feel connected to society?

They're at high risk for being targeted by extremist groups for radicalization. :(

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Not to be superficial, but there is video of Assange's awkward rave dancing alone. And Snowden is a stone cold hottie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Azathoth posted:

Well yeah, that too, but I'd say that it's more his paranoia than anything else. I bet he thinks that anytime he sees a group of people he doesn't recognize at the Embassy that they're the ones who are gonna slap a bag over his head, then drag him out to a waiting car, then drag him to a waiting airplane, then drag him into a waiting CIA black site.

This, though, is also why I don't really worry about the guy. He's a paranoid as well as a narcissist and so he sees mountains in every molehill. He probably thinks that story about Clinton joking about droning him is a dead serious threat.

• Locked thread