Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lizard Wizard posted:

can someone recommend a ps2-to-usb adapter that works so i can play all video games with my sweet hosed up ninja controller (see previous thread)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some good recent Star Wars games? Last I played was like the Old Republic

e: I mean the Old Republic was my last Star Wars game, I don't remember if it was good or not

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

What are some good recent Star Wars games? Last I played was like the Old Republic

star wars kinect is funny and humor is good

do you mean kotor or the mmo thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

e: I mean the Old Republic was my last Star Wars game, I don't remember if it was good or not

Star Wars has been in limbo for a long time during the Lucasarts crossover. Literally the only recent SW game beside OR was Battlefront which was eh.

EA has a whole shitload of Star Wars games in the wings but none of them are anywhere near show-ready.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSaazixWhko

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

star wars kinect is funny and humor is good

do you mean kotor or the mmo thing?

The MMO, I played it for a month when it first came out, but none of my friends wanted in on it so I just dropped it. I can't remember much about it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

the sexy thing was separate from the diversity thing and basically his criticism is that in hollywood if theres 2 people getting through danger they should be romantic tension because that's how movies have always worked.

it seemed like it bled together because he transitions from saying that the finn character doesn't do anything important in the movie and he probably thinks he only exists to get a black guy in the film but that's cool as long as he gets to gently caress the girl cause thats how movies go.

idk personally. the new movie feels really lifeless to me so maybe some romantic tension would spice it up but i think the issue is more that its a weak copy of the old movies with a much less understandable story but i'm no youtube expert so what do i know.

adding in some spicy romantic tension would make it even more lifeless and also that criticism sounds super dumb

Jay Rust posted:

Battle for Naboo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Looper posted:

adding in some spicy romantic tension would make it even more lifeless and also that criticism sounds super dumb

no for sure. like mike is upset that kylo doesn't get handsy with the protag while she's bound to the table in the PG rated baby movie so you know he's a nutbag

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isn't it weird how we never got a Star Wars video game where you play as Luke and run around with a lightsaber.

Like yeah the old platformers on NES and SNES and whatever but all those Jedi Knight, Shadows of the Empire, Force Unleashed, Bioware RPGs, terrible prequel games, and I can't think of a single one where you play as The Guy From Star Wars.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's not really what he meant when he said that but something tells me you probably know that and dont care

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't it weird how we never got a Star Wars video game where you play as Luke and run around with a lightsaber.

Like yeah the old platformers on NES and SNES and whatever but all those Jedi Knight, Shadows of the Empire, Force Unleashed, Bioware RPGs, terrible prequel games, and I can't think of a single one where you play as The Guy From Star Wars.

I guess with Rebel Assault they wanted to do a Star Wars FMV game but didn't have the main cast, so you end up doing all the same kinda stuff except as Rookie One or whatever.

You do get to do the Luke / lightsaber stuff in the LEGO games too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ive found that if there is more than one black person or woman in the main or peripheral cast of a nerd IP, the fanbase calls it 'forced diversity'

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Force Diversity is a light side power?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I guess with Rebel Assault they wanted to do a Star Wars FMV game but didn't have the main cast, so you end up doing all the same kinda stuff except as Rookie One or whatever.

You do get to do the Luke / lightsaber stuff in the LEGO games too.

Lego games hardly count, you can play as That Gungan That Isn't Jar Jar, No Not That One, The Other One. Not that I'm complaining about that, but it's hardly the same as a game focused on one of the most iconic characters in the franchise.

Quest For Glory II posted:

ive found that if there is more than one black person or woman in the main or peripheral cast of a nerd IP, the fanbase calls it 'forced diversity'

Then they get Real Mad if you call them racists or sexists for making that comment and invent convoluted logic for why the people who said that are the REAL racist sexists.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm using October to play some scary games I've never touched and run through Silent Hill 1 through 4. I'm stuck in the hospital in Silent Hill 1

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm 100% sure that Disney consciously aimed for a diverse cast, and I hope more big blockbusters take the same approach.

Lurdiak posted:

Lego games hardly count, you can play as That Gungan That Isn't Jar Jar, No Not That One, The Other One. Not that I'm complaining about that, but it's hardly the same as a game focused on one of the most iconic characters in the franchise.
It's one of the only ones I can think of, and "play as your favourite characters" is a selling point of them. But I take your point.

The main three turn up as special units in some of the strategy games too I think, but that's still really removed from the action.

There is also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-r7SNQ_5fc
But ignoring that is for the best

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Kids do care tho.

Because I'm a stupid rear end in a top hat.

This and also this.

But yeah, kids who are unaware of the diversity argument at a higher level just grow up with a Star Wars movie where the main characters were a white lady and black dude and that's probably healthy for their world view and will lead to fewer weird nerds getting angry that some video game made by an international dev team had a Hispanic lady MC. RLM can suck it. Their Phantom Menace criticism was the only thing they made worth a drat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So, like, is it me or is Pac-Man Championship Editon 2 kind of overly-bloated? I think i liked the first one more. The new one has more features but they feel kinda gimmicky rather than fun and the massive nerf to ghosts just feels weird.

I like CE2 a lot more just because they made high scoring runs more complicated. You need to be really really good at heading off ghost trains during the eating phase and understanding how to optimally position fruit during the pellet phase to shave seconds off your run. I've been playing it once or twice a day since release and trying to get better, but people in the top 10 are really staring to widen the gap in ability

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

This and also this.

But yeah, kids who are unaware of the diversity argument at a higher level just grow up with a Star Wars movie where the main characters were a white lady and black dude and that's probably healthy for their world view and will lead to fewer weird nerds getting angry that some video game made by an international dev team had a Hispanic lady MC. RLM can suck it. Their Phantom Menace criticism was the only thing they made worth a drat.

the plinkett reviews are neat for introducing a bunch of people to film critique but man that framing device is rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

Says a person who has never played Metal Gear Solid 4

What the f*ck

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

the plinkett reviews are neat for introducing a bunch of people to film critique but man that framing device is rear end

Agreed. It got really tiresome by the third one I saw so I stopped watching them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Star Wars sucks lol.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I own the Star Wars fighting game and I am so bad at playing it. I want to beat the game as Chewbacca, who is cool. But it is pretty bad so I probably won't.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Oh I discovered a neat thing while getting into Rayman Legends again - pressing the X button was starting to actually hurt my finer so I used the PS4's accessibility settings to swap it to R1 and it's making the game a lot more enjoyable.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Let's instead talk about that episode of star trek where they go get a piece of the action (that being the one where kirk and spock go to the planet of the mobsters)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

What are some good recent Star Wars games?

LEGO Force Awakens is real good. I mean if you're into that kind of thing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lurdiak posted:

It's not much but you play as Luke in the Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, it seems. Here's the fight against Vader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Zth4GTw28&t=1441s

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the amount of smilies that get bought that no one uses is great

:spiderguy::wrong::smoobles::swish::vapes::nomates::kayak::jollywell::fuzzknot::jamez::destiny::chome::dadjoke::bagl::landy::quig:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I agree that Trek is better than Wars but god dammit Rogue Squadron was the poo poo. Why does Star Wars always get the good games? I want TellTale to do TNG season 8. since everything is being rebooted nowadays why not

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Liking Star Wars is :wrong:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

:spiderguy::wrong::smoobles::swish::vapes::nomates::kayak::jollywell::fuzzknot::jamez::destiny::chome::dadjoke::bagl::landy::quig:
:wrong: and :dadjoke: should not be neglected

why the gently caress is doc louis from punch out called jollywell though

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CrashCat posted:

:wrong: and :dadjoke: should not be neglected

why the gently caress is doc louis from punch out called jollywell though

It used to be called a racial slur and a former administrator's name iircaittid

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oh you can type it as :doclouis: anyway

:doclouis::jollywell:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel mixed about the diversity arguments that go on. On the one hand I think it's dumb to demand every movie needs a non-white character or needs to pass the Bechdel test, on the other hand I find it even more dumb to get mad when people do choose to put non-white non-male characters into movies to the degree that the first group aren't even worth mentioning in comparison. Like, I think not every movie needs to be diverse and some movies it doesn't even work for but on the other hand if every movie had minority actors and strongly written women, i can't imagine that actually having any real negative effect so it seems nonsensical to get up in arms about it.

Like let's say that RLM is right and TFA awaken's cast is diverse for diversity's sake. Why should I care?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I feel mixed about the diversity arguments that go on. On the one hand I think it's dumb to demand every movie needs a non-white character or needs to pass the Bechdel test, on the other hand I find it even more dumb to get mad when people do choose to put non-white non-male characters into movies to the degree that the first group aren't even worth mentioning in comparison. Like, I think not every movie needs to be diverse and some movies it doesn't even work for but on the other hand if every movie had minority actors and strongly written women, i can't imagine that actually having any real negative effect so it seems nonsensical to get up in arms about it.

Like let's say that RLM is right and TFA awaken's cast is diverse for diversity's sake. Why should I care?

Their argument is that you should care because it cheapens the movement to do it just to fill out a checkbox that says "2016 2015 movie has minorities" and that the better way is to give minorities mostly roles of importance so that important minority roles becomes the norm instead of the checkbox thing. But I dunno if there's enough existing evidence to support that argument in modern film so :shrug:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:bagl: has a long and storied history thank you very much. :colbert:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dewgy posted:

:bagl: has a long and storied history thank you very much. :colbert:
which is vastly eclipsed by the amount of time it's never used :quig:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont think there's any setting in western media where it makes sense for there only to be white people so i wont really ever get the 'forced diversity' argument

not writing minority characters poorly is a different story

if paper mario had black toads it'd increase the character design variety by 200%

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

i dont think there's any setting in western media where it makes sense for there only to be white people so i wont really ever get the 'forced diversity' argument

Well there was that time that Spike Lee complained that Eastwood WWII movie didn't have any black people in it when there was in fact no black people at the battle.

Then, on a lesser note, there's when people were complaining that Her had very few black people in it when Her is like the whitest movie and even if it had an all minority cast it would still be the whitest movie ever so the casting did work.

As I said, I don't think having a diverse cast tends to hurt anything but I think sometimes the complaints that a movie lacks it can get a bit silly because sometime it's just not taken in context and just used as a end all rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

I feel mixed about the diversity arguments that go on. On the one hand I think it's dumb to demand every movie needs a non-white character or needs to pass the Bechdel test, on the other hand I find it even more dumb to get mad when people do choose to put non-white non-male characters into movies

Indeed, it's almost as if extremism in either direction is bad, because Chocolate Crazy and Vanilla Crazy have the same amount of high fructose brain cancer.

• Locked thread