Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Their argument is that you should care because it cheapens the movement to do it just to fill out a checkbox that says "2016 2015 movie has minorities" and that the better way is to give minorities mostly roles of importance so that important minority roles becomes the norm instead of the checkbox thing. But I dunno if there's enough existing evidence to support that argument in modern film so :shrug:
But that's a real dumb complaint because its not filling checkboxes. Star Wars has a diverse universe so its not some egregious thing to have a white woman, a black dude, and a Hispanic dude to be the main protagonists.

I liked the Plinkett reviews years back but its sounding like its becoming "Middle-aged white dudes whine about how the times are changing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Bauman and Jack Packard are nice counterbalances to the embarrassing worldviews held by Mike Stoklasa and especially Rich Evans, who I assume is still complaining about the new Ghostbusters at this very moment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quest For Glory II posted:

i dont think there's any setting in western media where it makes sense for there only to be white people so i wont really ever get the 'forced diversity' argument

not writing minority characters poorly is a different story

if paper mario had black toads it'd increase the character design variety by 200%

Mention the no black people in The Witcher series thing in the Steam thread

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Mention the no black people in The Witcher series thing in the Steam thread
is the witcher thread the one where the guy talked about the benefits of slavery

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

is the witcher thread the one where the guy talked about the benefits of slavery

Yup

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I was going to correct you by saying that was the New Vegas thread, but I suppose there are multiple good and cool discussions about the positives of slavery to be found on the something awful forums

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Accordion Man posted:

But that's a real dumb complaint because its not filling checkboxes. Star Wars has a diverse universe so its not some egregious thing to have a white woman, a black dude, and a Hispanic dude to be the main protagonists.

I liked the Plinkett reviews years back but its sounding like its becoming "Middle-aged white dudes whine about how the times are changing."

I guess to them it feels like it was done with "it's the popular thing to do nowadays" being the justification, and not because it's the right thing to do in general. To them it demonstrates an air of pushing the medium forward without actually doing it. I don't care enough about it to decide whether I agree with that or not because it's a complex issue and there's a lot to consider, I'm just explaining what I think their position on it is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

I agree that Trek is better than Wars but god dammit Rogue Squadron was the poo poo. Why does Star Wars always get the good games? I want TellTale to do TNG season 8. since everything is being rebooted nowadays why not

because nothing interesting happens in star trek

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well there was that time that Spike Lee complained that Eastwood WWII movie didn't have any black people in it when there was in fact no black people at the battle.

Then, on a lesser note, there's when people were complaining that Her had very few black people in it when Her is like the whitest movie and even if it had an all minority cast it would still be the whitest movie ever so the casting did work.

As I said, I don't think having a diverse cast tends to hurt anything but I think sometimes the complaints that a movie lacks it can get a bit silly because sometime it's just not taken in context and just used as a end all rule.

Spike Lee is an idiot tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually everything should have black people, women, lgbt people and every other minority in as much as possible.

Death to whitey

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Read Only Memories tried that and it fuckin sucked so I wouldn't go that far

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

i hate this

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CJacobs posted:

ROM is hilarious for dreaming up a plot contrivance to put furries on the same level as actual real world persecuted groups. I like that the game has Hassy in it though, more games should have Hassy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Furry hate remains one of the uniting factors among all goons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of terrible parenting, one of my ex's named her daughter "Aeris". Why would you impose that on a child. Why.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That is some terrible parenting. Should be Aerith obviously.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't it weird how we never got a Star Wars video game where you play as Luke and run around with a lightsaber.

Like yeah the old platformers on NES and SNES and whatever but all those Jedi Knight, Shadows of the Empire, Force Unleashed, Bioware RPGs, terrible prequel games, and I can't think of a single one where you play as The Guy From Star Wars.

Rebel Strike :madmax:

Actually, the other Rogue Squadrons at least technically have you playing as Luke most of the time, though Strike's the only one with running around with a lightsaber.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

Speaking of terrible parenting, one of my ex's named her daughter "Aeris". Why would you impose that on a child. Why.

As far as video game/anime inspired names go, that's probably not even in the bottom half, honestly.

Clearly should've gone with Edge Maverick, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJacobs posted:

The ability to write and produce a good game tends to help

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Rebel Strike :madmax:

Actually, the other Rogue Squadrons at least technically have you playing as Luke most of the time, though Strike's the only one with running around with a lightsaber.

Yeah I thought of the Rogue Squadron games but still, you're really playing an X-wing in those. Plus those ground missions in Rebel Strike were baaaaaaaaad. I mean I guess it still counts.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

precision posted:

Aeris is a pretty name outside of nerd contexts imo. Same with Zelda

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RIP Robin Williams

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Zelda is not even a nerdy name, considering that Zelda Fitzgerald was around decades before the 80's.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Disney Infinity 3 is a recent Star Wars game wherein you can play as Han, Chewy, Leia, or even Luke with a lightsaber but I get why it's been left out. That said, that poo poo's on firesale at the moment, so it's cheap!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Before the games got big, Zelda was an old-fashioned Jewish or east European name. I think it still could work.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Please do not name your child after video games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Zelda is not even a nerdy name, considering that Zelda Fitzgerald was around decades before the 80's.

you're not wrong but most people are gonna recognize it as a video game reference over the wife of the guy who wrote the Beautiful and the Damned

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have a nephew whose first and middle names are Maverick Hunter

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah but they're getting Bethesda games for their approximate value.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wasn't there a guy who made his legal name Sony Playstation?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah but they're getting Bethesda games for their approximate value.

The low low value of your child's lifelong scorn and resentment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I went to high school with a guy named Dirty Brown Shirt.

and a girl named Satin Sheets.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm so glad Canada has laws against this kind of thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Grandpa knew a guy called dumb N-

nevermind, Grandpa was a racist, disregard.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so glad Canada has laws against this kind of thing.

I would never want to live in a country where I can't name my son Video James.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You can name pets after video games as long as you're not a shitter about it, I think

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i have a nephew whose first and middle names are Maverick Hunter

maverick hunter maverick hunter lastname sounds cumbersome

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

In Training posted:

Star Wars sucks lol.

Star Wars is good, actually