Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Roland Jones posted:

He complained that the term "mansplaining" was sexist in the same tweet he accused a woman of "cuntfusing" the issue.

The dude is garbage.
Holy loving poo poo, "cuntfusing"?

Okay, there goes any opinion of Notch I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trade Chat Troll
Jan 22, 2010
Hurricane watches just went up for the Florida coast, so we can expect Matthew hype to crowd into the newsphere for the next several days :cthulhu:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DACK FAYDEN posted:

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2016/05/notch-silenced-by-women/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When you make it big, you stop growing. Notch became a billionaire when he was a basement-dwelling internet libertarian neckbeard.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

lozzle posted:

If it helps your red text is basically true. :colbert:

You are completely correct!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whoops, not literally the same tweet, but he did call mansplaining "a derogatory term about my gender" in the #cuntfusing tweet.

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/991475-notch-creator-beautiful-game-minecraft-now-calls-upon

That other thing is also amazing. The guy just sucks.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 4, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

KirbyKhan posted:

I wonder who our Martin Skrelli is? What rich tech mogul checks on SA on a regular enough basis that they would toss a couple hundred thousand at this dead gay forum?

Reggie Fils-Aime

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Tonight's debate will be a good barometer of how competent the Hillary campaign is.

Pence is a trained, disciplined politician who is going to come out swinging, armed with all the attacks Ailes and Bannon have ever fantasized about delivering. If the campaign has drilled Kaine well enough to turn the tables on a berserking Pence, I'll be a lot more confident in their ability to see out the next 5 weeks. On the other hand, if we see Kaine spend the entire night defending attacks on Hillary, the media narrative will flip, and the Trump campaign halts its death spiral when they aren't playing defense.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

Tonight's debate will be a good barometer of how competent the Hillary campaign is.

Pence is a trained, disciplined politician who is going to come out swinging, armed with all the attacks Ailes and Bannon have ever fantasized about delivering. If the campaign has drilled Kaine well enough to turn the tables on a berserking Pence, I'll be a lot more confident in their ability to see out the next 5 weeks. On the other hand, if we see Kaine spend the entire night defending attacks on Hillary, the media narrative will flip, and the Trump campaign halts its death spiral when they aren't playing defense.

What the gently caress is this lol

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Pence is a loser, dead-end politician who really isn't bright, and is going to be stuck playing defense for Trump. He can't even defend Trump at his own rallies.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

TyrantWD posted:

Lol at these fanfics

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

The VP debate will not matter at all. I say this despite thinking Kaine will win it easily.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
honestly its going to be boring probably

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

The VP debate will not matter at all. I say this despite thinking Kaine will win it easily.

But Pence will be compared to Trump and simply by not making GBS threads the bed he will get props for it. You know, the super low bar for Trump that he still managed to not clear.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

But can he beat Kaine in a pork-chop eating contest?

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

TyrantWD posted:

Lol, I'm in love.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

TyrantWD posted:

Unless one of them fucks up in some spectacular way no one will give a drat. The VP spot is perhaps the least important spot in government. Teddy Roosevelt called it "The broom closet of history" and if his predecessor wasn't assassinated that's where he'd be.

No one cares.

Pence is also not particularly disciplined or talented. Hoosiers hated his rear end for what he did to their state. They went from a moderate business style republican who largely rejected identity politics to Pence who made their state a laughing stock and shrank the tax base with his lovely tea party ideals. He was looking at getting primaried and if he didn't move upwards he'd have been moved out. He was not getting reelected as governor and Hoosiers wouldn't accept him for any other important position.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 4, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

But Pence will be compared to Trump and simply by not making GBS threads the bed he will get props for it. You know, the super low bar for Trump that he still managed to not clear.

The news cycle will push past the VP debate so loving fast compared to how long the first debate was discussed.

Also we have a massive hurricane about to hit Florida's east coast, so that's gonna draw some attention.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Personally, I hope that immigration comes up and Kaine just gives his whole answer in Spanish. :getin:

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Kaine is going to smoke Pence and it absolutely will not matter at all.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Even Ryan getting completely curbstomped by Biden only ever mattered in the minds of people who were never, ever going to vote for Romney/Ryan anyway. The VP debate doesn't matter.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Doorknob Slobber posted:

honestly its going to be boring probably

Yeah, this is the feeling I get. Pence is terrible but he's not a political neophyte like Trump and I figure he can hold his own in a debate. Everyone will say the candidate they support won and the media will call it a win for the Trump campaign because it's the first good news they've gotten in a week.

Then again, I said the same thing about the first debate and I was wrong so I hope I'm wrong again.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

Chin Strap posted:

But those props, even if they materialize, aren't going to translate to a change in the polls. Honesty, I don't think Pence is up to the task of defending Trump for 90 minutes given his own track record of saying extremely idiotic things.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I heard Tim Kaine hasn't prepared at all, and is just going to respond to policy questions by playing a relevant excerpt from Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" on his harmonica

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Even Ryan getting completely curbstomped by Biden only ever mattered in the minds of people who were never, ever going to vote for Romney/Ryan anyway. The VP debate doesn't matter.

I disagree. The Biden/Ryan debates absolutely, mercilessly slaughtered any hopes Ryan had of becoming a president. Biden showed the world how much of an empty suit the 'wonk' was.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

What's up with all the Gunnerkrigg Court avatars? I like it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trump has said he wants to delegate pretty much everything to pence. I hope they crucify him with the bush Cheney parallels

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Like I'm going to trust a poll by Orcs. :rolleyes:

They just want to trun states red so they'll go faster.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

OgreNoah posted:

What's up with all the Gunnerkrigg Court avatars? I like it.

Couple years back, someone bought like 30+ avatars in the thread dedicated to it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

He caucused very well here and there is some consternation about the state GOP making incremental gains lately. it should still go to Hillary soundly.
Tactically, I think they think it'll help Rick Nolan keep his seat in MN-8, which is anchored by Duluth, where Bernie has his first rally and where Bernie did really well in the primary.

Also, there's no Senate race here to bolster turnout to help House races and Bernie's populist politics are a much more natural fit for Minnesota than Hillary, as Bernie's 60-40 primary win attests.

The second rally is in the Twin Cities, which seems much more like a "whip up your base" thing, but might also help the races in MN-2 and MN-3, which are the southern suburbs, and both have about a 2% Republican lean, and are theoretically vulnerable if Democrats can sufficiently get their base to turn out. That lack of a Senate race could also help flip these districts, if voters get sufficiently turned off to Trump to stay home.

I don't think there's any particular danger, and if Amy Klobuchar or Al Franken were up for re-election, I doubt they'd do anything more than a perfunctory rally in the Twin Cities, but there's at least enough theoretical worry to make sure that poll numbers don't dip here and give Republicans a chance to play offense.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Doctor Butts posted:

I disagree. The Biden/Ryan debates absolutely, mercilessly slaughtered any hopes Ryan had of becoming a president. Biden showed the world how much of an empty suit the 'wonk' was.

Didn't stop him from becoming Speaker.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys Rasmussen has a new tailor made poll out

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Didn't stop him from becoming Speaker.

Ryan took the Speaker position through great reluctance. It's his career ender.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ice Phisherman posted:

Unless one of them fucks up in some spectacular way no one will give a drat. The VP spot is perhaps the least important spot in government. Teddy Roosevelt called it "The broom closet of history" and if his predecessor wasn't assassinated that's where he'd be.

No one cares.

Yeah, and he was shoved into that broom closet explicitly to get him out of the way.

One of politic's funniest blunders (from the POV of his enemies).

Reminds me of this funny anecdote though about Hanna, who is the one who lamented Roosevelt as the "damned cowboy":

quote:

cKinley's death left Hanna devastated both personally and politically. Although the two had not been allies, the new president, Roosevelt, reached out to Hanna, hoping to secure his influence in the Senate. Hanna indicated that he was willing to come to terms with Roosevelt on two conditions: that Roosevelt carry out McKinley's political agenda, and that the President cease from his habit of calling Hanna "old man", something which greatly annoyed the senator.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Jorge Luis Borges posted:

I timidly point out this monstrousness to my interlocutor. He laughs at my antiquated scruples and raises Jesuitical or Nietzschean arguments: the end justifies the means, necessity knows no law, there is no law other than the will of the strongest, the Reich is strong, the air forces of the Reich have destroyed Coventry, etc. I mumble that I am resigned to passing from the morality of Jesus to that of Zarathustra or the Black Ant but that our rapid conversion then prohibits us from pitying Germany for the injustice it suffered in 1919. On that date which he does not want to forget, England and France were strong; there is no law other than the will of the strongest; therefore, those calumnied nations acted correctly in wanting to ruin Germany, and one cannot condemn them for anything other than having been indecisive (and even culpably merciful) in the execution of that plan. Disdaining these dry abstractions, my interlocutor begins or outlines a panegyric to Hitler: that providential man whose indefatigable discourses preach the extinction of all charlatans and demagogues, and whose incendiary bombs, unmitigated by verbose declarations of war, announce from the firmament the ruin of rapacious imperialism. Afterward, immediately afterward, a second wonder occurs. It is of a moral nature and almost unbelievable.

I always discover that my interlocutor idolizes Hitler, not in spite of the high-altitude bombs and the rumbling invasions, the machine guns, the accusations and lies, but because of those acts and instruments. He is delighted by evil and atrocity. The triumph of Germany does not matter to him,; he wants the humiliation of England and a satisfying burning of London. He admires Hitler as he once admired his precursors in the criminal underworld of Chicago. The discussion becomes impossible because the offenses I ascribe to Hitler are, for him, wonders and virtues. The apologists of Amigas, Ramirez, Quiroga, Rosas, or Urquiza pardon or gloss over their crimes; the defender of Hitler derives a special pleasure from them. The Hitlerist is always a spiteful man, and a secret and sometimes public worshiper of criminal "vivacity" and cruelty. He is, thanks to a poverty of imagination, a man who believes that the future cannot be different from the present, and that Germany, till now victorious, cannot lose. He is the cunning man who longs to be on the winning side.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lightning Knight posted:

Personally, I hope that immigration comes up and Kaine just gives his whole answer in Spanish. :getin:

As much as I like this scenario, wouldn't that be a bit presumptive? It basically implies that all Immigrants are Hispanic. Obviously that's the vast majority, but if e.g. a Canadian asks a question and gets an answer in a language he doesn't even speak he would probably be irritated at least.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't know about that. I think Speaker of the House has done that more than anything, the debate just retroactively fits into that narrative. I think Ryan could have won a primary in 2016 or 2020, or at least had as much of a chance as any Rubio or Cruz or whatever, he just doesn't appeal to the Republican base in the same way that your average Trump, Carson, or Huckabee does. The monster they've created wants Ted Nugent for president, not Paul Ryan's perpetual College Republican.

edit:

cant cook creole bream posted:

As much as I like this scenario, wouldn't that be a bit presumptive? It basically implies that all Immigrants are Hispanic. Obviously that's the vast majority, but if e.g. a Canadian asks a question and gets an answer in a language he doesn't even speak he would probably be irritated at least.

The immigration issue as a political wedge issue is defined realistically as people being mad about Hispanic and Muslim immigrants, and furthermore the comedy value of Pence and the moderator being dumbfounded because they don't speak the language would be priceless.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

Pence is also not particularly disciplined or talented. Hoosiers hated his rear end for what he did to their state... Hoosiers wouldn't accept him for any other important position.
Indiana doesn't hate him enough for it to cost Trump-Pence their EVs, though?

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

TyrantWD posted:

A man who Arzy in he own bed; a shameful man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pakled posted:

Yeah, this is the feeling I get. Pence is terrible but he's not a political neophyte like Trump and I figure he can hold his own in a debate. Everyone will say the candidate they support won and the media will call it a win for the Trump campaign because it's the first good news they've gotten in a week.

Then again, I said the same thing about the first debate and I was wrong so I hope I'm wrong again.

And if Pence does win, Clinton's almost certain to have another sucker punch from the oppo folder ready to go.

• Locked thread