Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wasn't the Nexus 6 a big flop, priced at $650? And then the 5x and 6p were moderate successes due to their lower price point? I think I paid $270 for my 5x, $650 seems excessive. The photo of the umbilical cord between the iPhone and the Pixel, looked like they were trying to build an iPhone competitor, that would literally suck the life out of your old Apple product.

Daydream announcement was really light on details, they mentioned netflix as an app but only showed Hulu so I'm curious if we'll see Netflix as a launch title or not. They were really light on what would actually launch with it, along with no firm launch date, other than, I think, "late november".

I'm curious to see what other phones end up being Daydream capable. I didn't see anything in the new Pixel that makes it command a $390 premium over my Nexus 5x. I mean poo poo, even if it is waterproof, my 5x cost half as much, if it is destroyed by water, I can go out and buy a new one and it's still cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So since Google pixel looks kind of like a poo poo value proposition, how is the one plus 3?

Have a nexus 5 I'm thinking of replacing soon. Other options?

OP3 looking pretty good now for $399 compared to the Pixel.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So since Google pixel looks kind of like a poo poo value proposition, how is the one plus 3?

Have a nexus 5 I'm thinking of replacing soon. Other options?

I'm in the same boat. I might try to find a 6p NOS.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Honestly the 6P is looking like the best option for Android for now, at least until the Pixel phones get a decent sale.

Remember the 5X going on sale like, instantly? Maybe it will happen again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Thermopyle posted:

What if top-of-the-line feature A is better on one device but that device doesn't have top-of-the-line feature B?
There's some buyer's digression to apply here. But when it's lacking several features/improvements, it's something else.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

My biggest complaint with the Pixel isn't so much how it compares to the other flagships, but more how it compares to the previous year Nexus devices. There really isn't anything that screams the huge price increase. I could save a lot of money buying a Nexus 6p with 128 gb storage and then upgrade to the pixel when it inevitably goes down in price next year.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
This thread would be a lot smoother, and all the posters would be a lot nicer if we'd all just accept and agree that Google, Android, and most if not all Google Apps and Android devices are loving terrible.

People having issues with them aren't actually personal attacks. It's just a symptom of the world we live in.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mogomra posted:

This thread would be a lot smoother, and all the posters would be a lot nicer if we'd all just accept and agree that Google, Android, and most if not all Google Apps and Android devices are loving terrible.

People having issues with them aren't actually personal attacks. It's just a symptom of the world we live in.
Defend Your Purchase

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mogomra posted:

As a Nexus 5 user, I agree.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mogomra posted:

We did accept and agree and it was completely fine because it was inexpensive.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
The only thing that makes me not write it off completely was that the original Moto X wasn't the top-of-the-line phone when it came out but it quickly proved itself to be the best overall around phone that year.

But I'm having trouble deciding if I wanna upgrade my original droid turbo to this or just get a something else.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

HolyDukeNukem posted:

My biggest complaint with the Pixel isn't so much how it compares to the other flagships, but more how it compares to the previous year Nexus devices. There really isn't anything that screams the huge price increase.
Yeah, the only thing the normal Pixel has over my 5X is the newer SoC, which might translate into longer battery life time, and maybe a better camera (I kept hearing that for a while on the Nexuses, so I'm not going to fall for it). That's not enough. I paid 430€ plus postage for the 32GB 5X the day it was available. I'm not sure why I should pay estimated 700€ (or more) for basically an aluminium case instead of plastic.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New phones are up on Play via direct link:
https://store.google.com/config/pixel_phone

(Edit: Meant it for the event thread but eh, relevant here I guess, sorry.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well, I'm not saying that the Pixel should not have whatever feature, I'm saying if you don't value those features it may be missing, and do value the features it does have, and the features it does have are high-end competitive or exclusive you can go ahead and consider it a high-end phone and it'll be all right.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Not phone specific but I stopped butt dialing when I changed the time for the phone locking from 30 seconds to 5 seconds once the screen is turned off. If you're using smart unlock this probably isn't helpful though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, as said, I wouldn't care so much and I'd agree if it wasn't going to be $1000+ for the base model

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Prescription Combs posted:

OP3 looking pretty good now for $399 compared to the Pixel.

I'm looking at new phones and as the Pixel is out of the running, I tried to figure out how to order an OP3, but it seems that as an American, I have to import this thing? And the warranty would be handled by that international vendor? Hell no.

What about this Axon 7 I've been hearing about? It looks like I can get it at Best Buy, and it's received he September security update and ZTE us making noises about Nougat, so it sounds pretty good.

The other phone id be considering is a 5X.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If I was buying a phone right now I'd really be looking for a 6P for a good price.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, the only thing the normal Pixel has over my 5X is the newer SoC, which might translate into longer battery life time, and maybe a better camera (I kept hearing that for a while on the Nexuses, so I'm not going to fall for it). That's not enough. I paid 430€ plus postage for the 32GB 5X the day it was available. I'm not sure why I should pay estimated 700€ (or more) for basically an aluminium case instead of plastic.

If the pics in the keynote are legit, the camera is state of the art; right up there with the S7 and 7 Plus.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

£599 cheapest in the UK, wooooo :(

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tunga posted:

New phones are up on Play via direct link:
https://store.google.com/config/pixel_phone

(Edit: Meant it for the event thread but eh, relevant here I guess, sorry.)

Skarsnik posted:

Pixel 32gb is 759€, Pixel XL 128gb is 1009€ :laffo:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

You guys have it worse than us. It's officially starting at $899 CAD here for the 32GB Pixel, which is over a grand after tax :|

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I really had no intention of buying it, but that's a hell of a jump from the 5x

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

If I was buying a phone right now I'd really be looking for a 6P for a good price.

Same. As it is, my current plan is to wait until (a) my N6 dies or (b) the 6P drops another $100-200 or so. Or I guess til the Pixel Gigantor edition does but I'm guessing that's going to be more of a wait.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

It's just too big. Even the Axon 7 is pushing it, coming from a Nexus 4 followed by a 2014 Moto X.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Well, there went $1072.85.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i just want a metal, 5" mid-high end android phone :(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

docbeard posted:

Same. As it is, my current plan is to wait until (a) my N6 dies or (b) the 6P drops another $100-200 or so. Or I guess til the Pixel Gigantor edition does but I'm guessing that's going to be more of a wait.

Y'know...

This is a pretty smart idea. I may do the same. How much of an upgrade is the 6P over the 6?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Verge 'inside the Pixel' story says Assistant won't be coming to Nexus phones (and presumably anything else) 'anytime soon':
http://www.theverge.com/a/google-pixel-phone-new-hardware-interview-2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

Verge 'inside the Pixel' story says Assistant won't be coming to Nexus phones (and presumably anything else) 'anytime soon':

Not a surprise, I'm sure they wont even be fixing the Nougat on the 5x.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

You guys have it worse than us. It's officially starting at $899 CAD here for the 32GB Pixel, which is over a grand after tax :|
The UK price includes tax at 20%. It actually priced slightly cheaper than in the US given current exchange rates.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Nexus 5's been running strong for nearly 3 years and I'm in the market for something new since I want N. Looks like I'm getting a 6p since Pixel/XL doesn't add much more for such a huge jump. Or hell, maybe the Pixel phones drop in price within a few months here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Red Warrior posted:

I mean they gotta differentiate that mediocre phone somehow.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FogHelmut posted:

Not a surprise, I'm sure they wont even be fixing the Nougat on the 5x.

What's broken about it?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

When does the 6p go end of life for support? 2018?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

What for, exactly? RAM hungry, or just being a lovely differentiator to get rid of the Pixel phone from their stock?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Designed by Google out of spare HTC parts.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm not buying the Pixel, $700, once you factor tax for something not water resistant in 2016. I'll wait two months for the inevitable price drop. Also, this should boost the value of the N5x since it's much more of a value to have that now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Thermopyle posted:

Where would you be looking? *takes notes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Google are doing the iPhone thing, only opposite, and retroactively-officially making the 'tock' Nex/Pix devices mediocre?