Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A friend of mine is family friends with Scott Shafer, and as such has encountered Michael Krasny in a social context. He said the thing that's immediately apparent about Krasny is that he thinks of himself as someone who could be a Great Mind of his Generation, but by hook or by crook has ended up as a journalist, and so instead spends his time interviewing the luminaries he thinks should be his peers rather than his subjects. That's why he's always dropping little facts and going off on his own stuff, because he feels that really it should be him that's being interviewed. When my friend laid this out for me it explained everything about the show.

Marketplace owns, they have pretty interesting wealth and poverty reporting. They aired a very biting piece about racial discrimination in welfare, including how the moment at which black women were finally able to enroll in welfare in serious numbers was right when everyone got serious about ending welfare. However, because it's still APM/NPR/PRI/PRX centrist liberal bullshit, they aired that bit on the Fourth of July when precisely no one was listening to Marketplace.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Does Berkeley bowl have Buddha's Hand in right now bc if it does i need to head up there again

You can usually expect them in November. Buddha's Hand are some of the earliest of the Advanced Citrus, along with Minneola Tangelos. A bit later than that and you see Moro Blood oranges, a bunch of ridiculously cheap navels, etrog citrons, and key limes. The latest-season citrus, sometimes as late as early January, is the Seville Orange, king of the winter fruits. If you're lucky there might be a few weeks of Bergamots in the middle of that, and also things like Satsumas and yuzu that I don't pay attention to. I am really serious about citrus season at Berkeley Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I could eat satsumas every day

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

If you're in the south bay I recommend milk pail in mountain view for your food acquisition needs

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Satsumas are literally the best fruit.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Cold tangelos out of the fridge. The most refreshing thing because I don't ever call things refreshing. I always want an ice cold shot of vodka with a cold tangelo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You guys know wayyyy to much about citrus fruits and AM radio people.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

withak posted:

Satsumas are literally the best fruit.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Safeway sells these GMO peaches that are loving delicious when they're verging on ripeness. Just the right texture and taste. I'm gonna miss you peaches, until next year :qq:.

Legislative Wrap up for this month.Apparently using your cell phone while driving is now officially illegal, loving finally.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Progressive JPEG posted:

If you're in the south bay I recommend milk pail in mountain view for your food acquisition needs

best cheese and mushroom availability in the area

their frozen croissants are excellent too

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

A White Guy posted:

Legislative Wrap up for this month.Apparently using your cell phone while driving is now officially illegal, loving finally.

it wasnt already?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

paranoid randroid posted:

it wasnt already?
Yeah, I was somewhat confused about this. Apparently, the law was set up in such a way that you couldn't talk on your phone, send or read texts, or use a handheld device if you're a minor. However, you could still use the phone to do other things, like read the daily news or 'enter phone numbers' according to the DMV website.

This law is a blanket ban on the using the phone, period, unless it's attached to the dashboard. Personally, I feel they should up the fines into the hundreds of dollars range, but progress is slow :shrug:.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's the definition of "attached to the dashboard"? Like if you buy one of those cheap $10 plastic holders that sticks to your dash and put your phone in it, are you free to text away behind the wheel? That wouldn't seem to solve much of anything.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sydin posted:

What's the definition of "attached to the dashboard"? Like if you buy one of those cheap $10 plastic holders that sticks to your dash and put your phone in it, are you free to text away behind the wheel? That wouldn't seem to solve much of anything.

i just use the one cops tend to use

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the text of the bill: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1785

TL;DR. Existing law is narrow in scope and only prohibits text or voice communications while holding a phone. This bill will expand that to include all use of a text or communications device while holding it.
You can still use a telephone if it is mounted in a dash or windshield mount HOWEVER you can only interact with the device "with the motion of a single swipe or tap of the driver’s finger". So use of apps like a GPS or music app that can be used with a simple tap are ok, texting is still no good even if in a mount. Anything that is interacted with via a hands-free method has been and is still a-OK.

Most people I see using their phones while driving are texting at red lights which has always been illegal, but it will also prevent things like browsing facebook at stoplights and backing up traffic (you jerks).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

FCKGW posted:

but it will also prevent things like browsing facebook at stoplights and backing up traffic (you jerks).

Some stupid highschooler was holding up the light the other day and he was on his loving phone, looking all dumbfounded why people were cutting him off in the middle of the intersection.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just posted this to the LA thread but in retrospect it'd fit better here.

"Goleta sues to stop 'Law & Order' creator from selling water to neighboring cities posted:

Wolf’s 780-acre Slippery Rock Ranch is perched in the foothills of the Santa Ynez Mountains on an aquifer. The ranch has said it wants to extract water and sell it to cities such as Montecito, Carpinteria and Santa Barbara, according to court documents.

The Goleta Water District sued to stop any such exports, claiming that the ranch’s aquifer is connected to the Goleta Groundwater Basin, which the district owns rights to and is located just a few miles south.
In sworn testimony, Wolf identified himself as a Montecito resident who spends “two to three weeks a year, maybe” on the ranch. He repeatedly said he has minimal first-hand knowledge of the property’s water situation. He also said he believes that the water in question “is captured on the ranch and … is our water.”

Wolf said he hopes that the ranch’s water will “be utilized to help other people that need water,” according to the court documents. And if Montecito needs water, he said, “I would love to, I guess, feather my own nest more.”

“I live in Montecito,” he added later. “I would like Montecito not to be brown.”
Officials did say that households here pay $91 a month on average for their water, despite using only about 50 gallons of water per person per day. By comparison, Los Angeles residents use about 70 gallons each day and pay about $30 a month for the water.

Montecito residents use about 165 gallons of water a day. The vast majority of the city’s lots are two acres or larger, and some have polo fields, areas for livestock to graze and facilities to train and breed horses, according to deposition testimony by Wolf and Thomas Mosby, the former general manager of the Montecito Water District.
James Wilcox, a 36-year Goleta resident, has a bucket in his bathroom to capture shower water and flow restrictors on his faucets, and a few months ago, he installed a gray-water system that recycles his laundry water for outdoor irrigation.

“It sure kind of hurts when everybody around you is voluntarily cutting back on water and someone goes, ‘Oh, you’ve been cutting back nicely. Thank you. I’ll take it,’ ” Wilcox said.

Wilcox and his fellow Goleta Water District customers have long relied on Lake Cachuma to supply almost all of their water. The reservoir, which sits about 20 miles northwest of the city, was so full it spilled over in 2011, but it's been emptying ever since.

This year, the district is getting just 3% of its water supply from the lake, said David Matson, assistant general manager of the Goleta Water District. More than half of the district’s water is now supplied by their drought buffer — the groundwater basin — which is part of the reason why the district chose to take the ranch to court, Matson said.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It seems like there's also a trend of thinking its ok to use your cellphone for calls however you like while driving as long as you use speaker

I don't know how many idiots a day I see talking while holding their phone 6 inches from their face

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The speakerphone function should just be illegal anyway.

I mean generally, not just while driving. How do people not understand that it is completely awful trying to listen to someone on speakerphone?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Voter guide is the size of a phone book god drat

Your mail delivery person has probably been not very happy lately

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leperflesh posted:

I'll sign, if there's an addendum that we can beat dickwads that have phone conversations while at the gym.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

coupbrick posted:

Voter guide is the size of a phone book god drat

Your mail delivery person has probably been not very happy lately

I like the voter guide, but you should really be able to opt out of it. I can look it up online. I don't need a copy for every voter in my house

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I'll sign, if there's an addendum that we can beat dickwads that have phone conversations while at the gym.

I'm in the hall outside the courtroom with fifty other prospective jurors and this dude makes a phone call. Holding the phone up to his head, but everyone within 100 feet can hear it because it's on speakerphone. Eventually he figures it out. You can tell this dude just normally has all conversations on speakerphone.

An older dude but no, not deaf at all, he had conversations with other jurors no problem.

My stepdad also just uses speakerphone all the time for no loving reason. I have to tell him every single call "hey can you take it off speakerphone because I CAN'T GODDAMN HEAR YOU" but he won't learn.

People who use speakerphone are assholes but goddamn people who use speakerphone in public should be slapped with a felony.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

One measure I've been paying attention to is the Monterey county band on fracking.

https://ballotpedia.org/Monterey_County_Ban_on_Fracking_and_Extreme_Oil_Extraction_Methods_Initiative_(November_2016)

Mostly because the anti people have been spamming the radio with ads. It's also interesting because the San Aldo fields straddle the Monterey and San Benito county lines down near Slo and iirc there's not an equivalent measure in San Benito county.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I just got into Santa Criz and it's been nothing but ads against Measure Z. They keep going on about losing jobs, so I'm assuming this means Z is about prohibiting the rape of our shores for oil? Just guessing, because the ads didn't clarify. Banner ads on the subject feature stock footage of a disapproving elderly man.

Anyway en route yesterday person in front of me was suddenly driving incredibly slow. When it was safe to get around her, I took a look to see her eyes cast down to her lap. So, it's okay guys, just leave ten car lengths in front of you and you won't crash into anything! I gave her a little honk. Didn't even look up or anything. Brain dead. gently caress that drive is already congested, you're not helping you idiot!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tell me about etrog -- are the peels tasty, or the fruit, or what? If you're in the mid-Peninsula, I highly recommend Sigona's Market in Redwood City and in the Stanford Mall (!) -- wonderful produce year-round, with lots of emphasis on local growers when seasonally available. Also lots of cheese sample cubes.

E: You can opt-out of the paper information guide; I've been doing it for years. Go here: https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov/

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 1, 2016

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I like getting the physical voter guide because I like to mark it up. Is it worse up north this year than SoCal? Who has more measures?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I mean generally, not just while driving. How do people not understand that it is completely awful trying to listen to someone on speakerphone?

its useful if youre on hold and want to put the phone down

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I just posted this to the LA thread but in retrospect it'd fit better here.

This is one of those local issues that no one outside of those cities or part of the state give a poo poo but has far-reaching implications for the state overall. Ideally, you'd want a political solution to water rights but that's just not going to happen. You're left with things getting bad enough that the courts have to sort through it. How do you preserve property/water rights equally when those P/W rights holders drain from the same aquifer system and the needs of those holders run contrary to each other? In this particular instance with Slippery Rock Ranch, it's mostly about money. The system works when there's enough water for the most part but when it runs out, you get this.

A fire burned out all their orchards so the ranch isn't making any money. So they want to take the water that would've been used for farming (SRR's argument) and sell it to a nearby city where they can get three times the amount of money. The article does a good job of hitting the notes of rich selfish cunts narrative but like most writing that goes on about water in California they really miss the bigger picture: we're running out and we need to figure a better way of doing this. Again, no politician, regardless of party, wants to deal with this because you'll always piss off enough people to end your career right there. My unlearned opinion with no basis in fact or reality, SCOTUS will be seeing cases about California water in 10 years.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I'm in the hall outside the courtroom with fifty other prospective jurors and this dude makes a phone call. Holding the phone up to his head, but everyone within 100 feet can hear it because it's on speakerphone. Eventually he figures it out. You can tell this dude just normally has all conversations on speakerphone.

An older dude but no, not deaf at all, he had conversations with other jurors no problem.

My stepdad also just uses speakerphone all the time for no loving reason. I have to tell him every single call "hey can you take it off speakerphone because I CAN'T GODDAMN HEAR YOU" but he won't learn.

People who use speakerphone are assholes but goddamn people who use speakerphone in public should be slapped with a felony.

There is some semi autistic shitlord at work that thinks having teleconference where he is on computer speakerphone in an open office is a fine idea.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

its useful if youre on hold and want to put the phone down

You can get a pair of headphones with a mic for like five dollars. If you can afford a phone you can afford a headset.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Leperflesh posted:

Like 5 or 6 years ago my dad transitioned to solely carrying out phone conversations on the speaker. I have no idea what triggered it, but it's a thing I've primarily noticed in older people. Maybe his arm gets tired holding up the phone? It's pretty maddening.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tell me about etrog -- are the peels tasty, or the fruit, or what? If you're in the mid-Peninsula, I highly recommend Sigona's Market in Redwood City and in the Stanford Mall (!) -- wonderful produce year-round, with lots of emphasis on local growers when seasonally available. Also lots of cheese sample cubes.

One of the Jewish holidays uses etrog, I can never remember which, but for Gentiles you mostly candy the rind or do something with the oils in the peel. Etrog do contain some juice, but it's a pathetically small amount and mostly just tastes like lemon.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Spazzle posted:

There is some semi autistic shitlord at work that thinks having teleconference where he is on computer speakerphone in an open office is a fine idea.

sounds like they're in need of a good old fashioned passive aggressive speakerphone battle

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Or a private office. I mean, the guy is clearly executive material.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

You can get a pair of headphones with a mic for like five dollars. If you can afford a phone you can afford a headset.

When I'm in my own home?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kenning posted:

One of the Jewish holidays uses etrog, I can never remember which, but for Gentiles you mostly candy the rind or do something with the oils in the peel. Etrog do contain some juice, but it's a pathetically small amount and mostly just tastes like lemon.
The one right now! Rosh Hashanah.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Anyone have thoughts on this site? http://ballot.fyi/

It's getting posted around facebook and a cursory examination so far seems to confirm my suspicions that anything that talks about voting on propositions from a "non-partisan" point of view isn't.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Artificer posted:

Anyone have thoughts on this site? http://ballot.fyi/

It's getting posted around facebook and a cursory examination so far seems to confirm my suspicions that anything that talks about voting on propositions from a "non-partisan" point of view isn't.

For what it's worth, KQED's California proposition site seems pretty decent.

edit: There's no substitute for ballotpedia though. Also yeah the site you linked is pretty far from "nonpartisan".

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 4, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Any thoughts on Prop. 54 (state law transparency proposal?) Kind of not sure what to make of it, although I'm suspicious of ballot measures that affect the legislative process directly.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

StandardVC10 posted:

Any thoughts on Prop. 54 (state law transparency proposal?) Kind of not sure what to make of it, although I'm suspicious of ballot measures that affect the legislative process directly.

The principle is good and it will pass easily, opening the doors to endless political ad fodder and "the truth revealed!" video postings on the right-wing media.

It's still probably a net good though even if it cuts the legislative session a few days shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

VikingofRock posted:

For what it's worth, KQED's California proposition site seems pretty decent.

edit: There's no substitute for ballotpedia though. Also yeah the site you linked is pretty far from "nonpartisan".

the league of women voters is also fairly decent

they have clearly stated opinions but like they say they're nonpartisan