Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

I want concrete counter tops because i'm desperate for a clever way to display my crappy beloved curio fossil and shell collection that's not a dusty drawer.

How about a display box coffee table?

You could also make a lot of kids happy with a "permanent loan" to an elementary school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

spog posted:

I like the girlie drafted in to help carrying a giant, heavy slab of concrete of unknown integrity is wearing tiny ballet pumps while the men get protective boots.

Maybe they're steel-toed pumps?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wouldn't a concrete (or marble) countertop need to be sealed somehow? It's vulnerable to acid, and over time is going to come into contact with a lot of mildly acid foods and drinks. Not enough for structural damage, but surely over the years there is a danger of etching and staining.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Wouldn't a concrete (or marble) countertop need to be sealed somehow? It's vulnerable to acid, and over time is going to come into contact with a lot of mildly acid foods and drinks. Not enough for structural damage, but surely over the years there is a danger of etching and staining.

Yea, you really should seal them. On ours, we poured about a quarter inch of epoxy, which worked pretty well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

The 15ish year old one I saw was the counter top at a coffee place, everywhere was fine except right at the till. I don't kow if it's from coins sliding or what but it was more like a cobble stone road than a counter top.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Crappy Construction 2: Electric Boogaloo

Hint: he replaced the slats with smaller ones and oiled the wood, in the hope of making it more flammable.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 4, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sad there's no pics of that dangerous looking outlet box this time

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm sad there's no pics of that dangerous looking outlet box this time

It's the same structure, he just redid the slats.

He's really against any kind of stain "with artificial coloring".

He did say he actually sanded it this time because apparently he didn't even bother to sand anything when he put it up the first time :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I stained my deck with ghost juice, only the finest of supernatural stains.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Hint: he replaced the slats with smaller ones and oiled the wood, in the hope of making it more flammable.

Hint: The whole frame of the house is made of wood.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I stained my deck with ghost juice, only the finest of supernatural stains.

You laugh but I did that quest in World of Warcraft once. Got a pretty good sword from it too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Linseed oil -- the best way to bring out the natural character of the cheapest pine available at Home Depot. Pine that you have now purchased twice...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I got soapstone for my counters. Did I gently caress up? You can scratch it with a key, but it will not take a stain and looks blueish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I got soapstone for my counters. Did I gently caress up? You can scratch it with a key, but it will not take a stain and looks blueish.

Not granite. Lame.

You might as well burn the house down and claim insurance.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anything else I should get done at the same time? Salt the lawn maybe?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anything else I should get done at the same time? Salt the lawn maybe?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

I love the gently caress out of my soapstone. Oil that poo poo up for a different look.
gently caress granite.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If your kitchen isn't milled from a single cube of stainless steel it's unsanitary and peasantish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

If your kitchen isn't milled from a single cube of stainless steel it's unsanitary and peasantish.

And that steel had better be 316L.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

kitchen milled from a single cube of stainless steel
I really want to see someone attempt this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Collateral Damage posted:

I really want to see the demo contractors' eyeballs when they try to disassemble it seventy years later and find out that instead of stainless cladding over wood, some maniac built his kitchen counter out of inch and a half thick stainless plate.

Also, a quick price check reveals a 4'x4'x1" 304 stainless plate is ~$2300. :getin:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://imgur.com/gallery/q54Xv

Take it to the LAN party so you can protect your motorbike from pilfering while you frag some n00bs.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 4, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

http://www.schiessbrighton.com/us/ganmill.htm

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

My dad did this once. The bushes next to the hole just got greener...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MrYenko posted:

I really want to see the demo contractors' eyeballs when they try to disassemble it seventy years later and find out that instead of stainless cladding over wood, some maniac built his kitchen counter out of inch and a half thick stainless plate.

Also, a quick price check reveals a 4'x4'x1" 304 stainless plate is ~$2300. :getin:

Actually cheaper than granite.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FogHelmut posted:

Clearly we should make countertops out of iron ore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

there wolf posted:

My dad did this once. The bushes next to the hole just got greener...

is it supposed to kill off the lawn around it or something? I'm not a car person, so I'm not sure if used oil is toxic to life in general or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oil comes out of the ground, oil goes back in the ground. The circle of life.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

Oil comes out of the ground, oil goes back in the ground. The circle of life.

I dig a deep hole. It works and saves time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

I've bought finished granite at $35/foot, $50/foot is common as gently caress?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Cover all the roof vents if you're doing concrete repair on the roof:

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

kid sinister posted:

Cover all the roof vents if you're doing concrete repair on the roof:

Nice excuse you disgusting monster.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

An occasional courtesy flush would also have been appropriate.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

That doesn't look like anywhere close to 400 pounds worth.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Soapstone is awesome and has tons of character. Just use an iota of care about dropping and cutting (DON'T CUT ON BARE COUNTERS) poo poo on it. You can also amuse yourself by carving rude graffiti in it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

is it supposed to kill off the lawn around it or something? I'm not a car person, so I'm not sure if used oil is toxic to life in general or something.

I was curious so I googled and the concern is that it gets into the ground water and contaminates it. I can't imagine it's good for plants even if it's not immediately harmful in an obvious way. Not that those bushes are a good test case. I poured stump killer on them and they just kind of half wilted. Finally dug the root balls out and covered the area in gravel and I still get little runners popping up every once in a while.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Suspect Bucket posted:

DON'T CUT ON BARE COUNTERS

This is also true if you get the quartz countertops, but that's because they're generally harder than most knives and will gently caress up your blade.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

there wolf posted:

I was curious so I googled and the concern is that it gets into the ground water and contaminates it.

It also poisons the plants that grow out of it for decades. Anything that eats those plants will be contaminated, and much like DDT, continues up the line to concentrate in top predators. It also can run off into local waterways and poison fish, leading to the same poison concentration chain.

Waste oil properly 'disposed' of can be re-refined and recycled, taking some of the pressure off of existing oil stocks, or burned as fuel.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 5, 2016

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Platystemon posted:

Not granite. Lame.

You might as well burn the house down and claim insurance.

Downside: the worktop will probably be the only surviving item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It helps to know that oil, in and of itself, is not particularly toxic (it's not good for you but you won't die if you drink a glass of it). Motor oil has a bunch of additives to improve its lubricating properties and lifespan that are toxic. Used motor oil is also loaded with metals and toxic breakdown products that make it even worse.