Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

The kebab place near where I work does halal snack packs now.

:yum:

That AND the sausage by the yard. Quite probably both at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xen Tricks posted:

:ssh: it's a racist joke

See, because he is racist

Nothing I said had anything to do with race you nitwit.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Bloody Pom posted:

It's really not that bad. It's just fries, doner meat, cheese and your choice of any of the sauces they have available. You could have hummus and mint on there if you wanted. :barf:

Garlic yogurt and ketchup work pretty well together, that's what's on there.

Ketchup? Hummus? Mint? Jesus, you bloody dingo, why would you put any of that on a HSP? It's fries, kebab meat, cheese, garlic sauce and chilli sauce. All other sauces can gtfo.

Unlike pizzas, there are definitely rules for a HSP.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Bloody Pom posted:

Oh lordy. Heading to Cairns in November, hope I have the opportunity to get plastered and finish my night with a HSP. In fact, I could skip the getting plastered bit. this is a 100% would.

cyberia posted:

Ketchup? Hummus? Mint? Jesus, you bloody dingo, why would you put any of that on a HSP? It's fries, kebab meat, cheese, garlic sauce and chilli sauce. All other sauces can gtfo.

wikipedia posted:

Like the dish, the subculture within the group is a blend of Middle-Eastern and Western. Both Muslim and non-Muslim members use Islamic words in a tongue-in-cheek fashion, expressing approval of a snack pack by describing it as "halal" or disapproval by describing it as "haram".[21] A member who requests tomato sauce or salad (e.g., lettuce or tabbouleh),[21] with their snack pack is referred to as a "haram dingo",[3][22] and the page states that such users should be banned.[3]

Horse Clocks has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Oct 4, 2016

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

cyberia posted:

Bloody Pom's sounded pretty awful (ketchup is bad) but drat garlic and chili sauce sounds good. Too bad there are no kebab places in america lol

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

There has to be a place in brooklyn where I can find a halal snack pack, that poo poo looks awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I thought we were talking about a New York thing, I've definitely had those there.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm surprised you didn't pass out what with how hard you blew that dogwhistle of "goat jizz" when referring to a halal dish.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

PCOS Bill posted:

Ah yes, the classic sterotype of white men in the Middle East loving goats. Totally forgot that was a thing. Thanks, Bill. You da man.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I recently grossed myself out by wondering if you could make a doner sandwich in a donut, just for the naming possibilities, and now I'm afraid to google it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought we were talking about a New York thing, I've definitely had those there.

I've been to a bunch of halal spots and while I love halal food that halal snack pack looks next level. I don't know if it's named something else here.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm a member of the Snack Pack Crack Pack. It's all good, give it here!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

My Lovely Horse posted:

I recently grossed myself out by wondering if you could make a doner sandwich in a donut, just for the naming possibilities, and now I'm afraid to google it.

We also looked for Dönuts recently. It was disappointing.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Bloody Pom posted:

I am gunna head to Ali Baba for one of these tomorrow because now I'm craving one you gently caress.

I am gunna start using this a lot because I know many basic motherfucks who think such behaviour is acceptable. Same poo poo with kebabs, if you put iceberg lettuce or tomato sauce on a goddamn kebab you deserve to be mocked openly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grand Fromage posted:

The halal carts in New York definitely seem to be the same deal and I love them, but I have yet to find one that offers cheese.

My favorite moment was while I was waiting for my chicken over rice, this construction worker in front of me got his food. Big macho black guy. The vendor asked him if he wanted white sauce? "Yeah!" He puts on a reasonable amount. Hot sauce? "Hell yeah!" He puts some on. "A little more." He hesitantly squirts on a little more. Drink? "Nah, that's fine." He pays and heads off.

I'm just paying for mine a minute later when the guy comes running back around the corner like he's being pursued by bears. "GIMME A DRINK AAAAA"

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

no pizza bylaws

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This reminds me what happened when I had a BBQ for a community group I volunteer for. I grilled up some skewers of onion and one of roast garlic for people to put on burgers or potatoes or whatever, and a totally :3: Chinese mom came up and took the skewer of roast garlic with the biggest smile on her face and she just ate the whole thing straight up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Would the garlicburger no questions asked or fucks given.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham posted:

The halal carts in New York definitely seem to be the same deal and I love them, but I have yet to find one that offers cheese.

My favorite moment was while I was waiting for my chicken over rice, this construction worker in front of me got his food. Big macho black guy. The vendor asked him if he wanted white sauce? "Yeah!" He puts on a reasonable amount. Hot sauce? "Hell yeah!" He puts some on. "A little more." He hesitantly squirts on a little more. Drink? "Nah, that's fine." He pays and heads off.

I'm just paying for mine a minute later when the guy comes running back around the corner like he's being pursued by bears. "GIMME A DRINK AAAAA"

The halal carts of NYC are an absolute godsend on streets where your only other option is Pret A Manger and candy from Walgreens.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bet it all on black garlic Burger

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

Ah yes, the classic sterotype of white men in the Middle East loving goats. Totally forgot that was a thing. Thanks, Bill. You da man.

It looks like it's covered in jizz. Goat is a common kebab meat. It had nothing to do with anybody loving goats. Look within yourselves to find the weird racists.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You're not nearly as clever or covert as you think you are. Hth.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Such lust for goat jizz dogwhistles!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlmightyBob posted:

Bloody Pom's sounded pretty awful (ketchup is bad) but drat garlic and chili sauce sounds good. Too bad there are no kebab places in america lol

What hell do you live in

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pomp posted:

What hell do you live in

quote:

america

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Kebab meat is more likely be "general meat",rats and crushed insects, like with most street food.
There is also never less then 30% chanche that a frustrated underpaid worker mixed his cum into the sauce.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TotalLossBrain posted:

You're not nearly as clever or covert as you think you are. Hth.

I'm not the racist one here.

Also wow:

Baudolino posted:

Kebab meat is more likely be "general meat",rats and crushed insects, like with most street food.
There is also never less then 30% chanche that a frustrated underpaid worker mixed his cum into the sauce.

That's a special kinda post.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

It looks like it's covered in jizz. Goat is a common kebab meat. It had nothing to do with anybody loving goats. Look within yourselves to find the weird racists.

I've had lamb kabab, chicken kabab, beef kabab, never goat kabab. Also if that's what your jizz looks like, maybe get it looked at

...goat kebab does sound good though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I get lunch from a halal cart like twice a week, and I never get the white sauce. These guys looked at me like I was insane for months when I would request hot sauce only, but then eventually they learned and now they know what my standard order is. One time the guy even bragged to me that his current batch of hot sauce was even hotter than normal.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I get lunch from a halal cart like twice a week, and I never get the white sauce. These guys looked at me like I was insane for months when I would request hot sauce only, but then eventually they learned and now they know what my standard order is. One time the guy even bragged to me that his current batch of hot sauce was even hotter than normal.

white sauce is so good though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

white sauce is so good though

I know I'm the weird one there, for whatever reason I don't like that whole category of condiments. Mayo, sour cream, crème fraiche, even cream cheese. I've hated them since I was a little kid too, its very odd.

Menstural Cyclone
Sep 10, 2009

This reminds me of a thing that was a Korean meme(?) or internet thing for a while. It was "WoW Gallery Cuisine." As a quick background, there are a few big community sites in Korea, one of them being DCInside and they have a lot of dedicated subforums called galleries. This particular thing grew out of the WoW Gallery, which as you guessed it, was the subforum for World of Warcraft. It started off when one user posted some dish he made and got roasted because it looked like garbage. As you can imagine, a userbase dedicated to WoW probably isn't really cooking the most appetizing looking things. Other people who would regularly post about their dinner or snack that they made that looked terrible so people would leave comments on what it looked like or what the "real" name of the dish was. As fun as it was to laugh at how bad the food looked, a lot of the fun also came from renaming the food, such as:

Four Course Meal of Waste Materials from the Eastern Plague Region
Parasitic Fire Snake Filled Vomit with Gastric Juices
Deep Fried Giant Swamp Spore

Here's a bigger dump, including a similar fried rat looking thing (dude was trying to make homemade donuts). It provides reference photos of what the attempted dish was supposed to look like to be helpful. From top to bottom, a translation:

- Dude tried to make instant black bean noodle sauce and put it in the microwave. It was renamed "3-minute Claymore Black Bean Noodle Sauce"
- This attempt at homemade donuts is called "Deep Fried Twisted Netherworld Fetuses"
- Korean traditional puffed rice bars, but the weird burnt banana/charcoal thing was what came out. This one was renamed "Special Bronze Ingot Treats"
- An attempt at moules frites, but as the photo below shows, the results were "Black Gravel and Troll Skin Stir-fry"
- Regular sushi? Nope, "Rotten Deep Sea Creature Sushi"
- Reappearance of the Swamp Spore
- Regular pizza = "Plagued Ghoul Skin Pizza"
- Korean japchae noodles = "Alien Parasite Stir-Fry"
- Tempura = "Mixed Deep Sea Creature Tempura"
- Hot cakes = "Thick, Reinforced Leather Hot Cakes"
- Korean Egg Casserole = "Lava from Hell Egg Casserole" This one includes in the screenshot a bit of the comments from the board, and some choice ones include "Looks like a food waste bin left open in the summer from when I was in the army." The best part is the image name translates to "I probably make the best egg casserole.jpg" which is pretty #wifematerial. Dude even said "I put ham in it, how bourgeois of me."
- This one doesn't have a helpful reference photo because dude went off the rails and decided to make ... short rib pancakes? Name's not that funny since what this guy attempted is weird in and of itself. It's just called "Cursed Short Rib Pancake of Insanity"
- This person attempted making a red bean filled mochi/daifuku type thing and instead made "Brain-filled daifuku"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Baudolino posted:

Strong evidence exists that this is a gimmick poster who produces nothing but wild stories and fabrications.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

CommonShore posted:

This reminds me what happened when I had a BBQ for a community group I volunteer for. I grilled up some skewers of onion and one of roast garlic for people to put on burgers or potatoes or whatever, and a totally :3: Chinese mom came up and took the skewer of roast garlic with the biggest smile on her face and she just ate the whole thing straight up.

Got called out at a family gathering for doing this. No regrets, garlic is delicious.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Strong evidence exists that this is a gimmick poster who produces nothing but wild stories and fabrications.

*fistbump*

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Polyseme posted:

Got called out at a family gathering for doing this. No regrets, garlic is delicious.

I got a jar of pickled garlic as a gag gift once. Joke was on them, I'd finished it in two days.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

RNG posted:

I got a jar of pickled garlic as a gag gift once. Joke was on them, I'd finished it in two days.

I've had pickled garlic a number of times in Spanish restaurants along served along with olives, goes great with a beer as an appetiser. Years ago a joke shop trick bubblegum to give someone was garlic bubblegum, nowadays I wouldn't mind trying it for real.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There's a Korean lady who sells black garlic by the jar at the local farmer's market and we are becoming fast friends (although her KimChi is vegan and kind of... meh.)

Is Donair sauce the same everywhere? It's condensed milk, sugar, garlic powder, and vinegar in Nova Scotia, which has a crazy Donair scene and is where I learned to drunkenly love Donair. Pizza Corner for life.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Something a lot of people don't seem to know is that garlic gets a stronger flavor the smaller pieces its cut into. Whole, cooked garlic cloves have a pleasant, mild flavor and I actually have a few recipes where the meat is cooked in- and eaten with roasted garlic cloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"