Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taiko
Jul 13, 2006

cult member at airport posted:

I didn't really start following the 2008 elections until after the primaries. How did the right react to Obama rising out of obscurity and defeating their nemesis Hillary? Was it similar to how a lot of us laughed as Trump took out Jeb! and the others but then quickly realized in horror that he might actually win?

It was a little different, since they (obviously) had been preparing to fight her for years and suddenly had to deal with a massively skilled and popular new guy who basically came out of nowhere. "poo poo!" they said. "The Democrats have a black guy! Well that's fine, we'll get a hot conservative lady!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/783308693945352192
:getin:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

Augus posted:

:laffo:

when they're writing my eulogy, tell them that fall of 2016 is what killed me

Another tragic victim of fentanylol

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

I didn't really start following the 2008 elections until after the primaries. How did the right react to Obama rising out of obscurity and defeating their nemesis Hillary? Was it similar to how a lot of us laughed as Trump took out Jeb! and the others but then quickly realized in horror that he might actually win?

Also, Obama didn't exactly come out of nowhere. He gave the keynote speech at the 2004 DNC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWynt87PaJ0

Have some quotes from 2004-era D&D about it:

Swordfish posted:

Obama is a loving great speaker. This kid could go far.

MassRafTer posted:

Wow, Obama is amazing. I hate to say it, but the only thing stopping him is that his name might be "too black." I really hate to say that because he is giving an amazing speech that doesn't play into the conservative "angry black man wanting welfare" stereotype at all, but with that name it feels like when he gets a shot at being a VP contender he's going to get picked on for that very poo poo just because he sounds like the kind of black person that scares really white people.

But god is this a good speech.

Nothus posted:

Where can I get a Obama 2012 sticker?

squidgee posted:

This kid (Obama) kicks some serious rear end. This is honestly what I was hoping Dean's speech would be like; and I didn't even know who he was before today. If he keeps himself in the spotlight, he could loving go places.

Heh, Hillary likes him. Here's a scary thought: First Women President/Black VP. My mind has officially been blown. Too bad the country is most likely not ready for such a ticket. And also, it's too bad that I strongly dislike Hillary.

Obama 2012 indeed.

Nothus posted:

I was thinking the other way around- once she loses to Obama in the primaries.

EDIT: oh my god this post was too prescient not to include:

TenementFunster posted:

Before anyone panics, yes he was born in America:

http://www.vote-smart.org/bio.php?can_id=BS030017

quote:

Birthdate: 08/04/1961
Birthplace: Honolulu, HI

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 4, 2016

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

Hodgepodge posted:

Another tragic victim of fentanylol

Look man just hit me with another tweet I can handle it.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Pretty much. I remember the likes of Limbaugh encouraging people to vote in primaries for Obama because there would be no way he could win the general.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

faxlore posted:

Look man just hit me with another tweet I can handle it.

We're about to get all the Trump tweets we can handle, my fellow definitely-not-junkie :getin: :catdrugs:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also, Obama didn't exactly come out of nowhere. He gave the keynote speech at the 2004 DNC.

Man a moment of silence for Corey Booker

Who tried so hard this year to have his Obama 2004 speech but just came off as a try hard.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

[/quote]

I remember Al Franken's book that came out around 2006 or so (last year in high school is when I got it I believe) had him praising Obama and I think predicting his presidency. He definitely said Obama would go far.

But man it's been so long.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

God I'm at work and I'm surrounded by people who are still voting for the KKK Cheeto Elemental despite everything, on the basis that Hillary is ~*~clearly~*~ a criminal

And I can't debate in good faith with them because I get flustered and start forgetting all the facts and talking points I want to discuss so it just evolves into silent embarrassed nodding on my part

Bleeehhh :smith:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Would have also accepted "Bimbos I'm still dicking"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

God I'm at work and I'm surrounded by people who are still voting for the KKK Cheeto Elemental despite everything, on the basis that Hillary is ~*~clearly~*~ a criminal

And I can't debate in good faith with them because I get flustered and start forgetting all the facts and talking points I want to discuss so it just evolves into silent embarrassed nodding on my part

Bleeehhh :smith:

I doubt anyone can really convince them at this point. It sounds to me like they're pretty set in their opinions. Good on you for trying, though.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i can't believe tenementfunster predicted the birther movement

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hopefully a preview of how much ground game is going to cream the fascist yam-man.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

somewhere pillowpants is still updating his spreadsheets.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Instant Sunrise posted:

Loving the posts assuming Kerry would serve 8 years as President.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Maybe they're just feelin' the Lil Marco

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Great news guys we don't even have to actually hold the debate now.

https://gop.com/who-won-the-vice-presidential-debate/
https://gop.com/10-things-voters-are-saying-about-the-debate/
https://gop.com/governor-mike-pences-top-5-moments-from-the-debate/
https://gop.com/its-clear-who-lost-the-vp-debate-hillary-clinton/

Bonus 404 page:
https://gop.com/brokenlink/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Majorian posted:

I doubt anyone can really convince them at this point. It sounds to me like they're pretty set in their opinions. Good on you for trying, though.

I wish I could try harder, especially because I'm in Nevada. I don't know how hard our state actually matters for the presidency this time around, EV-wise, but I know that--strange non-polling of our hispanic population aside--we tend to run a close race.

Certainly this is the first time for me that it's felt so important to get this right, and while I understand a lot of people were always gonna vote for Candy Corn no matter what, I just wish I could make a more convincing stand. Social anxiety is a bitch like that I suppose :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh, thanks GOP. That saves me some time.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Instant Sunrise posted:

Spot on predictions except for everyone assuming they were gonna win 2004 :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Couldn't this be due to a 1st term president campaign vs a 2nd term one.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I always wondered how people find that poo poo. Do they just type random URLs in and hope?
Still super funny though

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Also 08 era republicans were making GBS threads their pants about Obama. A bunch of them were in favor of him winning the primary because Anyone But Hillary but as soon as it became clearly apparent that he was what came out when you described "presidential" to a computer the whole thing went into a tailspin of desperation.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Mike Pence’s top moments from the debate:

1. Economy

2. Highlighting Hillary’s scandals

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Spaced God posted:

I always wondered how people find that poo poo. Do they just type random URLs in and hope?
Still super funny though

It looks like these were written up and then immediately published to their blog, rather than saved and edited as it happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Mike Pence’s top moments from the debate:

1. Economy

2. Highlighting Hillary’s scandals
someone get these web pages to tim kaine so he can literally have the answers

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Ciaphas posted:

I wish I could try harder, especially because I'm in Nevada. I don't know how hard our state actually matters for the presidency this time around, EV-wise, but I know that--strange non-polling of our hispanic population aside--we tend to run a close race.

Certainly this is the first time for me that it's felt so important to get this right, and while I understand a lot of people were always gonna vote for Candy Corn no matter what, I just wish I could make a more convincing stand. Social anxiety is a bitch like that I suppose :shrug:

Take solace in the fact that anybody who is literally convinced that Hillary Clinton is a criminal cannot be reasoned out of this position, and even if they could it would take much longer to do it than we have until she's elected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm disappointed they're not just wild.

"TOP MOMENT OF THE DEBATE: The time when Tim Kaine pooped his pants and then his wife said Mike Pence was the hottest man alive."

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ImpAtom posted:

I'm disappointed they're not just wild.

"TOP MOMENT OF THE DEBATE: The time when Tim Kaine pooped his pants and then his wife said Mike Pence was the hottest man alive."

TOP MOMENT OF THE DEBATE: When Lord Trump descended from the Heavens to personally smite Tim Kaine.

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

GriffX posted:

It was a little different, since they (obviously) had been preparing to fight her for years and suddenly had to deal with a massively skilled and popular new guy who basically came out of nowhere. "poo poo!" they said. "The Democrats have a black guy! Well that's fine, we'll get a hot conservative lady!"

McCain should have chose Alan Keyes. Win over some of that black vote.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Spaced God posted:

Still super funny though

Right now they're recommended links from any GOP.com blog post because how does wordpress work.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

how can you be so incompetent on so many levels at all times?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hawai'i :allears:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Guys check it out.
https://gop.com/who-won-the-town-hall/

quote:

Trump's Top 10 Moments from Tonight
1. Economy
2. Terrorism
3. Job
4. Taxes
5. Benghazi
6. Abortion
7. Obama
8. Cow
9. Duck
10. Nuclear

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ciaphas posted:

still voting for the KKK Cheeto Elemental

I like this because it insinuates there's a whole genus of "Cheeto Elementals," of which Trump is the type "KKK."

I could go for a Barbecue Cheeto Elemental right now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr Hootington posted:

how can you be so incompetent on so many levels at all times?

They managed to get their party hijacked by an idiot because their own rules designed to prevent idiots hijacking their golden boys gutted them in key states.

The GOP has a competent propaganda wing and that's about it.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
The Clinton campaign would like to remind us about the indecision of picking Mike Pence prior to the VP debates

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/783440463122554880

This is a good ad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Got a 404 apparently someone caught it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Dork457 posted:

It looks like these were written up and then immediately published to their blog, rather than saved and edited as it happened.

Specifically these entries are tagged as "election 2016" they dont show up on the front page but show up as related entries.

They're clearly stubs that were going to be fleshed out as the debate happened, the only thing they can write for now is "our guy ruled, the other guy sucked!"

• Locked thread