Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

I watched a video of Civ VI and it looks identical to Civ V

it's a lot different --read inbetween the lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anyway, next Tuesday is Rights of Man release and then the map thread can be get back on track

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
What's a good map game to start with? I've always wanted to try the genre but it seems so impenetrable

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crusader Kings 2

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

but Hell, I figured out dwarf fortress when I was 14 (NOT last week) I can figure out map games as well.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

rediscover posted:

This is now the Civ thread

rediscover posted:

What's a good map game to start with?

:rolleyes: noobs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

rediscover posted:

What's a good map game to start with? I've always wanted to try the genre but it seems so impenetrable

Just pick whatever time period you are interested in I guess

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Crusader Kings 2

This, or perhaps EU4. I think EU4 is a bit easier to get into now, over CK2, although I think the dynasty/semi-RPG mechanics add more variety to the game and keeps things new, even if you replay the same country again later on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

eu4 is probably easier to get into (and a better game) but ck2 is much more unique

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

What one is more fun to play, and what's this I hear about rpg elements. I want the game with the most of those but it's good because of it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Sorry if that post doesn't make sense, irony poisoning has severely hosed up my grammar

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

rediscover posted:

What one is more fun to play, and what's this I hear about rpg elements. I want the game with the most of those but it's good because of it

In CK2 you're running a country, but only as a means to getting your own monarch and family ahead. Lots of events and decisions don't do much for the country as a whole, but they have effects upon the person you are playing as. You're free to expand into a country by intermarriage and assassination rather than by warfare, if you like. EU4 is a straight grand strategy game and there aren't really any characters in it, just abstract countries; monarchs only exist as a set of numbers. So that's what it is.

Vicky 2 is my favorite but it's weird and hard

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Hmm CK2 is sounding more my stroke. might check it out. thx guys

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

Hmm CK2 is sounding more my stroke. might check it out. thx guys

If/when you do get it, the general rule of thumb is to start off in Ireland, as that's a good location to get the hang of all the basic mechanics without being completely thrown into the deep end (but also not being totally isolated, so that later on when you feel you're ready, you can throw yourself into the deep end and invade France or something)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Civ6 is gonna be a fuckload of rear end

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Lol drat it's 40 bucks. I was thinking it would be like 25. I'll think about it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rediscover posted:

Lol drat it's 40 bucks. I was thinking it would be like 25. I'll think about it

Paradox has a sale every 2 months or so and CK2 and all the dlcs are usually at 75% on it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Paradox has a sale every 2 months or so and CK2 and all the dlcs are usually at 75% on it

Dope. Ima chill til then

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-26-considerable-converter-capabilities.972157/ cool, apparently they are overhauling the CK2 converter after all the changes

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

Dope. Ima chill til then

Yeah, everything in that DLC list seems really expensive (because well...it is!), but if you wait for a sale and just get the major expansions, it's pretty reasonably-priced.
As for expansions, I'd recommend starting with Legacy of Rome, Way of Life, Conclave+Reaper's Due maybe, as well as perhaps Old Gods. (Since the Viking starts are basically the best) After that, just get whatever suits you - want to play as a merchant republic? Get The Republic. Want to play as a Muslim ruler? Get Sword of Islam. etc. etc.

Oh nice, this is the first I've heard of them updating it! It'll be good to finally be able to convert another CK2 save, after the years the converter has been broken for. (Still can't believe that they never fixed it though - pretty sure it only worked for EU4 v1.0 and that month's version of CK2, before breaking like, weeks later or something haha

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i remember playing a bigass CKII game as Norse with the intent to convert to EU4 on release day but after conquering like 60% of the map and still having hundreds of years to end date left I stopped playing that file and Ive never launched CKII since

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really wanna start a EU file but I have to practice restraint beforre the patch.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

I really wanna start a EU file but I have to practice restraint beforre the patch.

Yeah same, I know what you mean - I had a game where I formed an Irish republic (with territories all over the place in different trade nodes, like Gibraltar, parts of Sicily, etc.) and had to basically stop all expansion for the last hundred years or so, so I wouldn't become completely OP once I convert to EU4. However because of this I accumulated a huge fortune, and when you export from CK2>EU4 for whatever reason they seem to multiply your current funds by like x10, so I started off with more wealth than the rest of the world combined, and was OP in the end anyway. :v: I was constantly losing money throughout EU4 (partially by having multiple colonies over my cap being built, which normally creates huge financial losses) and only started to run out of money right towards the end of the game.

Heh, on the plus side though, you can (or at least could, when it last worked properly) export CK2 games at any time, and it'll just fast-forward the date. So you could have Charlemagne colonizing the Americas, if you really want!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Heh, on the plus side though, you can (or at least could, when it last worked properly) export CK2 games at any time, and it'll just fast-forward the date. So you could have Charlemagne colonizing the Americas, if you really want!

Oh maybe this will be my gimmick for the new patch run...gotta think of what goofy time travel stuff I could do

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

When y'all talk about converting from CK2 -> EU4 does that mean what I think it means :stare:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah you play CKII for 400 years and then transfer the file and the world state transfers into the next time period/mechanics and you play for another hundred years. You used to be able to convert to Vicky for the 19th/20th century and then convert to hearts of iron for WWII

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

That's crazy duder o.0

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paradox needs to make a Bush era video game so I can wage proxy war on 3rd world soil.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

Yeah you play CKII for 400 years and then transfer the file and the world state transfers into the next time period/mechanics and you play for another hundred years. You used to be able to convert to Vicky for the 19th/20th century and then convert to hearts of iron for WWII

I remember when people were posting about wanting an Rome>CK2 converter ages ago, even. So that you could then go from Rome>CK2>EU3 (I don't think EU4 was released yet, then)>Vic1/2>HoI2.
As interesting as I'm sure that might be, I'm certain it would get soo stale once you hit CK2 or maybe EU, since you'd just be so big and powerful (with the only other European nations being huge blobs too, and no OPMs existing) that you wouldn't be able to do anything without getting into a huge, drawn-out fight with your superpower neighbours.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah conversion has always seemed interesting in theory but each game is balanced to be played by itself so you always end up scaling past the next time period. I guess the dream game would be something like a Paradox version of spore that covers Rome to Space and takes all their game mechanics and breaks the scale out so you go through all 6 eras in one file, one game.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

Paradox needs to make a Bush era video game so I can wage proxy war on 3rd world soil.

me right sfter switching over to EU4 immediately following 400 in game years of CK2 with diff mechanics and everything: War has changed

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

march of the eagles was 5 dollars so i bought it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think i made a mistake

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's no good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Yeah conversion has always seemed interesting in theory but each game is balanced to be played by itself so you always end up scaling past the next time period. I guess the dream game would be something like a Paradox version of spore that covers Rome to Space and takes all their game mechanics and breaks the scale out so you go through all 6 eras in one file, one game.

Terra Universalis would be a badass game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I think i made a mistake

BBJoey posted:

it's no good

From what I've heard, yeah it's not supposed to be great. Sort of like Sengoku was apparently a sort of 'test run' for CK2's engine, MotE is the same deal, but for EU4's engine.
I'd uh, recommend getting a refund on it* and then putting the $5 towards EU4 :v:

* If you've played it for less than two hours, the refund request being made within a couple of weeks of the game being purchased and as long as you sacrifice a newborn baby on the next night with full moon. Terms and conditions apply.
(Certainly seems this way a bit, at least)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 5, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Terra Universalis would be a badass game.

I think it's too big to work but drat if I don't want it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Started a CKII file in Ireland with gender equality on and shattered retreat off. According to steam I haven't launched this game since 2012

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Major Isoor posted:

From what I've heard, yeah it's not supposed to be great. Sort of like Sengoku was apparently a sort of 'test run' for CK2's engine, MotE is the same deal, but for EU4's engine.

march of the eagles was made by a different studio, "paradox france", formerly and afterward known as AGEOD. (MotE was enough of a fiasco that Paradox ended up dropping the entire studio and finishing the game in-house.)

it has some fun ideas (March To The Sound Of Guns) and seems like it'd be fun in multiplayer - but how on earth are you going to get a multiplayer game of March of the Eagles together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

march of the eagles was made by a different studio, "paradox france", formerly and afterward known as AGEOD. (MotE was enough of a fiasco that Paradox ended up dropping the entire studio and finishing the game in-house.)

it has some fun ideas (March To The Sound Of Guns) and seems like it'd be fun in multiplayer - but how on earth are you going to get a multiplayer game of March of the Eagles together?

Using this forum