Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Iodised QQ posted:

the gently caress is this poo poo

this is why people can hate a whole sports city despite it never experiencing any actual success

:goonsay:

There were multiple articles written during the Coughlin years that painted it as a difficult work environment and directly linked it with a perceived difficulty in inking top-tier free agents. He was reported to have made a concerted effort during the later years to improve the atmosphere. Apparently without great success.

e:

Antrel Rolle posted:

“He has to understand we have a great team, we don’t have guys with discipline problems,” Rolle said. “We’re going to pretty much handle our own outside of football. When it comes to football, we’re going to take care of our business on the field. Just let us have a little fun a little bit, man. I like the coach, I understand what he’s trying to do, but he has to understand it’s 2011, man, things have changed.”

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

warcrimes posted:

Actually, he was suspended for refusing to cooperate with the investigation and destroying his phone on the day he was supposed to turn it over. I think TFF willfully ignores this.

Which is hilarious because, as Wells swore under oath he explicitly told brady he would be under no punishment for non co-operation disregarding the fact that Brady argues he was told he didn't need to turn over his phone, it was a request that came months after. See page 24 of Berman's ruling (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/09/03/sports/football/document-judge-dismisses-tom-bradys-four-game-suspension.html). Refusing to turn over your phone to an organization that has shown it is categorically incapable of not leaking everything on it isn't an admission of guilt either.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Also have you ever seen a picture of Eli Manning not looking like the most miserable human being on earth? Plaxico Burress even shot himself to get out of his Giants contract.

Checkmate atheists

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Vengarr posted:

:goonsay:

There were multiple articles written during the Coughlin years that painted it as a difficult work environment and directly linked it with a perceived difficulty in inking top-tier free agents. He was reported to have made a concerted effort during the later years to improve the atmosphere. Apparently without great success.

e:

There were multiple articles written when the Giants hired Coughlin in 2004 about how his players hated him in Jacksonville and he couldn't possibly win in New York with even more pressure on him. There were also multiple articles written about how no decent free agent would ever sign with the Coughlin-led Giants because he was so toxic to be around. Shortly after these articles, the Giants went in to the 2005 offseason and signed the best receiver and linebacker on the market along with a drat good tackle and won the superbowl two years later. They followed that up by winning another superbowl 4 years later, a game of which I assume multiple articles were also written. Peter King has also written multiple articles in the past decade so you can see what kind of weight throwing around such statements actually carries.

I mean I guess you could call 2 titles in a 10 year period creating a "vacuum of suck" when compared with the eagles' accomplishments in the same time frame, which consist of things such as:

- beating the browns in september
- and others

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Oh my god people are still talking about deflategate like something will come out of it or minds will be changed. I can tell you the ONLY good thing to come out of deflategate. After the Indy/Pats games where the original accusations came from, some people were joking about a forfeit. Others responded that they couldn't well send the Colts to the SB considering how blowfully they played. In response, TFF poster and avowed redhead lover BOMP posted something to the effect of (I don't have archives so I can't get the direct quote):

quote:

(speaks in a high voice like he's really far away) "Give it to the bengals" Yeah, what he said.

I have no idea why this struck me so funny, but I literally still laugh at this to this day. I was laughing typing this. It's the only positive to come out of the whole, long, embarrassing, stupid thing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Iodised QQ posted:

There were multiple articles written when the Giants hired Coughlin in 2004 about how his players hated him in Jacksonville and he couldn't possibly win in New York with even more pressure on him. There were also multiple articles written about how no decent free agent would ever sign with the Coughlin-led Giants because he was so toxic to be around. Shortly after these articles, the Giants went in to the 2005 offseason and signed the best receiver and linebacker on the market along with a drat good tackle and won the superbowl two years later. They followed that up by winning another superbowl 4 years later, a game of which I assume multiple articles were also written. Peter King has also written multiple articles in the past decade so you can see what kind of weight throwing around such statements actually carries.

I mean I guess you could call 2 titles in a 10 year period creating a "vacuum of suck" when compared with the eagles' accomplishments in the same time frame, which consist of things such as:

- beating the browns in september
- and others

drat you're salty. I wasn't saying they weren't a good team during that time span, I'm saying Tom Coughlin is a ghoul who carries a cloud of miasma with him. And maybe it's still lingering.

When you have people pining to play for Rex Ryan instead of a SUPER BOWL CHAMPION!!! HAVE I MENTIONED WE WON THE SUPER BOWL???!!!, maybe you have a personal charisma problem. Maybe you have a bad atmosphere.

Remember when he crucified Matt Dodge instead of accepting blame for the Meltdown at the Meadowlands? Hey, that was a thing that happened in the last ten years.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 5, 2016

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

adaz posted:

Which is hilarious because, as Wells swore under oath he explicitly told brady he would be under no punishment for non co-operation disregarding the fact that Brady argues he was told he didn't need to turn over his phone, it was a request that came months after. See page 24 of Berman's ruling (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/09/03/sports/football/document-judge-dismisses-tom-bradys-four-game-suspension.html). Refusing to turn over your phone to an organization that has shown it is categorically incapable of not leaking everything on it isn't an admission of guilt either.

I don't really feel like engaging in this any longer but what you assert and what you quoted aren't exactly the same thing.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

Cupping is a proven therapy that relieves tension.

Oh we aren't referring to somebody holding my balls?

Seahawks need more pan management than the rest of the league because of all the cheating they do .

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Vengarr posted:

drat you're salty. I wasn't saying they weren't a good team during that time span, I'm saying Tom Coughlin is a ghoul who carries a cloud of miasma with him. And maybe it's still lingering.

not salty at all actually. Enjoy the rest of the regular season :)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Also have you ever seen a picture of Eli Manning not looking like the most miserable human being on earth? Plaxico Burress even shot himself to get out of his Giants contract.

Checkmate atheists

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I like to imagine it took them 4 hours of active work to take this single picture.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

tom lied brady died.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I like to imagine it took them 4 hours of active work to take this single picture.

He won't stop slumping his shoulders!.

... gently caress, I don't know, give him your coat.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
News: Aqib Talib really did shoot himself back in June

Views: :laffo:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Good OP. Go Vikings.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Oh my god people are still talking about deflategate like something will come out of it or minds will be changed. I can tell you the ONLY good thing to come out of deflategate. After the Indy/Pats games where the original accusations came from, some people were joking about a forfeit. Others responded that they couldn't well send the Colts to the SB considering how blowfully they played. In response, TFF poster and avowed redhead lover BOMP posted something to the effect of (I don't have archives so I can't get the direct quote):

Originally it came from the Ravens game. The Ravens alerted the Colts/NFL about it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

Doubt it.

I am 100% sure Christian McCaffrey will end up on the Pats though.

He's going to be the next Toby Gerhardt

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Man, I feel bad for Beckham because the New York media is just going to relentlessly kill him for these statements. OBJ is almost definitely Shook but he's also cool and fun to watch and I'd rather not see him destroyed.

He's a clown. I don't feel bad for him at all.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Chichevache posted:

He's going to be the next Toby Gerhardt

Christian McCaffery is a lot more athletic than Toby Gerhart.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Do ya thing roger

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Magnetic North posted:

I have no idea why this struck me so funny, but I literally still laugh at this to this day. I was laughing typing this. It's the only positive to come out of the whole, long, embarrassing, stupid thing.

What about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT9pygVQwgk

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The best thing to come out of deflategate was the colts getting poo poo on the next year in Indianapolis, while everyone was clowned out in ~deflategate~ regalia. The looks of despair on colts fans' faces that day warm my cold, dead heart to this day.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
gently caress the Patriots

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Go my newly adopted NFC team the Philadelphia Eagles and also Go the Chargers who Suck rear end

Wrong birds, bitch

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MrLogan posted:

Originally it came from the Ravens game. The Ravens alerted the Colts/NFL about it.

Right, poo poo. Sorry, hearing about it for more than a year, the details get hazy.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Chichevache posted:

But this is totally cool and normal

Now... dance.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hot Diggity! posted:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

gently caress the Cowboys, Giants, and mcmagic.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

gently caress the Cowboys, Giants, and mcmagic.

And the Patriots.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hot Diggity! posted:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Hot Diggity! posted:

and the Steelers forever and ever amen

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Iodised QQ posted:

I thought it was considered more a decade of failure

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Brockenstein posted:

I thought it was considered more a decade of failure

Not just failure, Brock. Spectacular failure. This wasn't just run of the mill "missed my exit on the freeway" failure. It is failure so big that it became a spectacle. That's a lotta fail.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Some dude on a Chiefs message board is roasting Alex about his poor qb play

Some are damning, some are borderline.

quote:

God dammit. I hadn't even seen this play until now. This sack is 100% on the QB.

http://i.imgur.com/okV2Wqu.gifv

quote:

hadn't seen the next snap either....chance to get a first down on a free play and he blows it

http://i.imgur.com/C5LcL1E.gifv

quote:

I missed the entire first possession basically and wow, run out of what would have been a perfectly good pocket you scared pussy

http://i.imgur.com/kFf9nsb.gifv

And looking at the all 22, Conley was wide open. Hysterical.

quote:

Maclin wide open at the 40, abandon pocket, poo poo pants, abandon hope all ye who enter here.

http://i.imgur.com/7pzIcIy.gifv

quote:

Leave it to Alex to attempt the more difficult throw to Ware when Kelce is wide open. Good try buddy.

quote:

What the hell is this guy doing. Faux Tony Gonzalez is WIDE OPEN and he checks it down to Reek for a yard. gently caress's sake.

http://i.imgur.com/aELcTGr.gifv

quote:

Remember THIS play.

http://i.imgur.com/zef2Vyf.gifv

quote:

Chiefs are 23rd in yds/play (5.1) and 29th in yds/pass (6.4).

During last year of Cassel era, we were 27th (5.0) and 30th (6.2).

tl;dw = Alex Smith sucks again it seems. :smith:

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 5, 2016

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I think the Patriots are pretty cool.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The perfectly good pocket had a free rushing lb that he had no way of knowing would be tripped up so successfully by the rb

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Brockenstein posted:

The perfectly good pocket had a free rushing lb that he had no way of knowing would be tripped up so successfully by the rb

And the very first sack looks like a designed bootleg that he was expecting protection on. I kind of feel like the left tackle got blown through pretty quickly by the Steeler lineman once he diagnosed the play. Someone tell me if they disagree, but I think Alex's only failing there was trusting in the bootleg and his line to give him more time. I don't know that I believe he's fully to blame there.

Edit

I mean every other lineman for the Chiefs and Steelers is 2 or 3 Yards upfield. The left tackle just got beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Brockenstein posted:

Yeah, if the RB hadn't doubled up with the LG there and occupied the hole instead that would've been a clean pocket most likely (contingent on RB actually throwing a decent block). Alex sees the rusher before his RB does and acts accordingly (i.e. decides he'd rather not die on that play).

• Locked thread