Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

happy october i made a thing

The jump scare with Bootler outside of the Forever Forest was some sick poo poo in such an otherwise cute and friendly game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Trouble with kids is, they are dumb. Kids might look at notch and say boy that guy is cool cuz he made mine craft, which is a mistake

I just hope to god none of them read his Twitter because he is a misogynist rape apologist, and he is very open and unashamed about this on his Twitter.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Y'know what, probably not demon hunter because I've already got a character in the thick of the expansion.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

I just hope to god none of them read his Twitter because he is a misogynist rape apologist, and he is very open and unashamed about this on his Twitter.

Watching your heroes get torn down is a part of growing up. For some of us it was finding out that Optimus Prime existed to sell toys and that wrestling was fake and full of drug abuse, for others its finding out that the man responsible for a game that was made before you were even born has bad opinions on Twitter.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

What's the scariest ruler to play in CKII for October

i got eu4 instead of ck2 did i make a mistake

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like both

But I have more hours in EU4

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i keep trying to play eu4 but then i go back to stellaris

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

What's the scariest ruler to play in CKII for October

There's a Karling (i.e. the last living direct descendent of Charles the Great) in 1066 somewhere in France, with trash land, try to reclaim your rightful land, (i.e. most of Europe)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

EU4 taught me things like where Borneo is, it's an enriching game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i got eu4 instead of ck2 did i make a mistake

I like EU4 enormously more than CKII, there's just a big patch and expansion coming next week and I wanted to play a map game so I chose to install and boot up CKII for the first time in 4 years instead and I realize I cannot remember how to play this game for the life of me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

The jump scare with Bootler outside of the Forever Forest was some sick poo poo in such an otherwise cute and friendly game.

I don't even remember that one. I do remember this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxkzCre3XJY

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey games thread, I just got back from trying VR for the first time! :toot:

Coincidentally, I think I'm done with VR! :toot:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mordja posted:

Hey games thread, I just got back from trying VR for the first time! :toot:

Coincidentally, I think I'm done with VR! :toot:

I would like to know more

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I don't even remember that one. I do remember this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxkzCre3XJY

I can't find a video that isn't buried in 20 minutes of garbage but basically in the Tubba Blubba chapter when you go to the outside of the woods and Bootler greets you he fades away then jumps back with flash + loud noise + his sprite being all blown up and it comes out of nowhere, it made me jump last time I played it.

The jump scare in Bioshock Infinite totally wrecked me, too. Any game that just throws in one or two is the worst because you totally don't expect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLm7ZAJUe5o

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jay Rust posted:

If you had Notch's money, what would you do with it?
Build a bunker to weather the coming climate apocalypse. When it's pointed out that people will just break into it and kill me anyway, go with this plan

FanaticalMilk posted:

Buy a research laboratory in Switzerland and make my own designer drug that attempts to combine the affects of DMT, Ayahuasca, & LSD and specifically focuses on having a high probability of causing ego death in the user. I think Notch's current headspace would appreciate this.
unrelated:

Lizard Wizard posted:

hey guys i wanna make a new wow character

warlock, hunter, death knight or demon hunter? thanks
always warlock, and you better be a good one that actually does poo poo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The jump scare in Bioshock Infinite totally wrecked me, too. Any game that just throws in one or two is the worst because you totally don't expect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLm7ZAJUe5o

yes, that's the idea of a jump scare

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CrashCat posted:

always warlock, and you better be a good one that actually does poo poo

meaning what

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

I would like to know more

Went to a little VR expo sort of thing after work, Playstation VR being the real headliner. There was also a keynote I didn't bother with, but when I glanced in the auditorium the slides were standard tech-conference stuff: way of the future, market disruption, how apps can solve all of society's ills, etc. Anyway, the PSVR waiting list was too long for me to have more than one go and I played Eve Valkyrie since it was the most "gamey" game and I wanted to see if I'd get motion sick. Anyway, it was cool to experience but VR really isn't there yet imo; the visual quality was sort of bad, low-res and blurry, the FOV was really low, and of course there didn't seem to be much to the game itself, after you get past the initial rush of "wow, it's like I'm almost in a spaceships cockpit kind of, not at all. One aspect I was disappointed with is the fact that the VR doesn't seem very 3D, only a little 3D. Sure I could look around me but there was very little sense of depth; my 3DS seems more impressive in that regard. I do regret playing E:V instead of The Heist though; the fact that it uses motion controls might have made it more immersive to me since you actually have reason to spin around can knock crap around.

In addition to the PSVR stuff, I also watched a couple of short "narrative VR experiences" and tried "Athlete VR" for a little bit. The former was essentially a pair of 360° videos except strapped to your head (they used GearVR) so it was like watching 1/4 of a movie because most of the film would be "offscreen" at any one time. The latter was first-person, gopro footage from a downhill skier that I had to put down because using it while standing made me a little dizzy. Probably wouldn't have had the same reaction in a chair tho.

All told, I think it's telling that the longest lines at the whole event were for the free pizza.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
You guys figure out if VR is any good and let me know later, I'm gonna keep playing Mario and Final Fantasy and Civilization.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i am going to play nuclear throne and stellaris and probably eu4 soon. and color splash later

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

since he deleted the tweet i preserved it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i am going to play nuclear throne and stellaris and probably eu4 soon. and color splash later

Is Stellaris better yet? I played a lot of it at launch multi but I got really bored of SP really fast

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i like it a lot but i cranked up the ethics divergence to happen once a month instead of yearly and removed the "divide by ten" part from the divergence percentage chance so everyone's constantly forming splinter empires and declaring war

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

basically i just conquer all races and purge the ugly ones and let the pretty ones be scientists and generals in my beautiful utopia

e: also i play hyperlanes only which is the only true way to play

e2: when you and another large empire team up to crush a third large empire, and then a weak empire grinds themselves down to get the scraps and you conquer them too 😘👌

oddium fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 5, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mordja posted:

I played Eve Valkyrie

shoulda picked heist or battlezone or rez or whatever. i've never played EV but it just looks lame and unimaginative to me from footage.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Real hurthling! posted:

shoulda picked heist or battlezone or rez or whatever. i've never played EV but it just looks lame and unimaginative to me from footage.

Yeah, like I said I regret not doing the Heist. They had an infographic that for all of the demos they were showing and Eve was listed as the most intense and interactive so I kinda wanted to dive in headfirst.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Quest For Glory II posted:

since he deleted the tweet i preserved it

a manchild falls through the earth and into a long abandoned candy room. upon turning on a nearby light he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried lsd"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

meaning what

*pounds fist on table*

WHAT DID YOU MEAN

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

basically i just conquer all races and purge the ugly ones and let the pretty ones be scientists and generals in my beautiful utopia

e: also i play hyperlanes only which is the only true way to play

e2: when you and another large empire team up to crush a third large empire, and then a weak empire grinds themselves down to get the scraps and you conquer them too 😘👌

I thought the coolest way to play was the wormhole one because you could super devious with war strategies

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I really like VR and I don't think it's going anywhere. It'll be around for a long while even if it doesn't go super mainstream.

AR will replace smartphones eventually, though.

Also, the best tweet from Notch today was when he said he invented indie games.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

oddium posted:

happy october i made a thing

Continue making things.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what was the first indie game and does that question really mean anything

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

mutata posted:

I really like VR and I don't think it's going anywhere. It'll be around for a long while even if it doesn't go super mainstream.

VR will die another unceremonious death and be forgotten for two decades, again.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Looper posted:

Spacewar! At least, at the time, people working at a college and having access to state of the art computers is the closest you're gonna get to an independent release.

Healbot posted:

VR will die another unceremonious death and be forgotten for two decades, again.

I think VR is here to stay, but I think a lot of that has to do with non gaming applications. I know gear VR and the oculus are very, very big at medical conventions and other instances in which getting a live feed of a POV camera is important or useful.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 5, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

It means about as much as claiming you made the first indie game in 2008 and that means when you say you hate adventure games, it sure means something, I guess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

In the modern understanding it's probably cave story

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What most people consider "indie development" currently though is just how video game development functioned prior to the 3D era, with the key difference being that people actually finished the games thy made instead of ripping people off with Early Access

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well basically, but I think an important distinction to remember is that it's not like they are acting as if the technology doesn't exist, it's that they don't have the necessary access/time/money and sometimes knowledge to use the technology.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I dunno if it's a good computer, probably not, and even if it was I wouldn't want to get it or anything. I just like how aldi is like "hi I'm a grocery store, this week's deals are meat, jaffa cakes, chainsaws, and this computer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I dunno if it's a good computer, probably not, and even if it was I wouldn't want to get it or anything. I just like how aldi is like "hi I'm a grocery store, this week's deals are meat, jaffa cakes, chainsaws, and this computer"

i don't think there's a graphics card in there. an i3 cpu is also in the dust of i5 and i7 models that gamers use now.

i think its for streaming your movies and music to your home theater, which is probably better off done with a 150 dollar ps3 or 360 than a 400 dollar computer

• Locked thread