Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

We probably shouldn't wish death on him until after the election...

but no really gently caress him
I don't want anyone to be able to point to heart failure as the reason he lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Clinton is going to carbonite all her enemies and make sure they all live and see their GOP nightmares come true.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Here's a round up of Tweets on the debate

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Here's a map using 538's prediction for each state and drawing a line at 60% and 80% odds: http://www.270towin.com/maps/1lrVl

Looking pretty good. No post-VP debate polls yet though (lol)

Yes, Arizona currently seems about as likely to flip blue this year as Florida is to go red.

(EDIT: this is using polls-only. The nowcast is for suckers.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 5, 2016

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/mikegehrke/status/783500890829381633

:drat:

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
This election truly is a referendum on 1984 style memory holes isn't it?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The worst part is now the Republicans get to declare that they were right to release that article declaring Pence the winner before the debate even started.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

The worst part is now the Republicans get to declare that they were right to release that article declaring Pence the winner before the debate even started.

Ehh it's really a wash. Mike Pence won this debate. He did very well. But Donald Trump he was one of the losers in this debate. His VP literally would not defend him.

Edit: Mike Pence's career was the real clear uncontested winner in tonight's debate.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 5, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The narrative is already changing on the debate. People are cottoning onto the fact that Pence spent a whole lot of time lying about Trump, which is already getting airplay. People are already talking about how Trump is likely angry at Pence for his performance. It's looking like a loss in the moment but a win for the week.

The only people who watch the VP debates are the junkiest pol junkies. Everyone else is going to get this debate in bite sized chunks, where the interruptions wont be played for lack of good soundbites. On the other hand, Pence is going to look absolutely awful pleading amnesia when contrasted with the clips of all the various things he denies Trump said.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

remusclaw posted:

The narrative is already changing on the debate. People are cottoning onto the fact that Pence spent a whole lot of time lying about Trump, which is already getting airplay. People are already talking about how Trump is likely angry at Pence for his performance. It's looking like a loss in the moment but a win for the week.

It's vice versa, really: Pence won the debate, but lost the week for the Trump campaign.

remusclaw posted:

The only people who watch the VP debates are the junkiest pol junkies. Everyone else is going to get this debate in bite sized chunks, where the interruptions wont be played for lack of good soundbites. On the other hand, Pence is going to look absolutely awful pleading amnesia when contrasted with the clips of all the various things he denies Trump said.

The Dems pretty much counted on this and the latest ads are about Trump being so toxic that his own VP denies him.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

"Pence won but Trump lost" is the sort of clever-sounding thing journos love, that's going to be the takeaway and Trump's going to be mad again.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Young Freud posted:

It's vice versa, really: Pence won the debate, but lost the week for the Trump campaign.

That is what I meant. Thank you for making it clear that I was anything but.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Can't wait to hear Fox News trying to sell the idea that the election is REALLY about getting a good VP.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Angry Trump the best Trump.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, I was a little worried about Kaine's constant interruptions sending the Decorum Police into a tizzy, and while that did happen briefly, it looks like the bigger issue was Pence's utterly lovely defense for Trump. Furthermore, all the reports say that Trump is pissed, and we all know what happens when you make Trump angry.

edit: and as an added bonus, it's going to be great to see Pence spending the next week defending everything he refused to defend at the debate.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 5, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That is definitely what I was trying to get at. Kaine was the loser as of an hour after the debate. Now, several hours later, it seems we were wrong and he won after all.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Epic High Five posted:

That passage Kaine quoted at Pence was a dagger in the side of someone evangelical who would know the rest of the quote, and his response being "oh lol that mexican thing again" was pretty bad

That's good poo poo:
https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Luke%206%3A45

A good tree does not bear rotten fruit, nor does a rotten tree bear good fruit.
For every tree is known by its own fruit. For people do not pick figs from thornbushes, nor do they gather grapes from brambles.
A good person out of the store of goodness in his heart produces good, but an evil person out of a store of evil produces evil; for from the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wait, wait, wait.

I think I misunderstood the reasons for Trump's rage. I thought he was pissed that Pence didn't do a good job of defending him. But what he actually seems to be pissed off at is that Pence is getting better post debate coverage than Trump himself did?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

I think I misunderstood the reasons for Trump's rage. I thought he was pissed that Pence didn't do a good job of defending him. But what he actually seems to be pissed off at is that Pence is getting better post debate coverage than Trump himself did?
We know he doesn't like to be shown up by anyone. Also if he had two brain cells to rub together he'd also be angry that Pence dialed back everything he's been saying so it sounds like he isn't "telling it like it is" anymore.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

Yes. To both.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Also LOL at Pence falling for Donnie's shadow prez con.

Like it's dictator 101 to pretend to delegate/give power to minions, but make an environment where they all backstab each other and defer to you for everything.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Also LOL at Pence falling for Donnie's shadow prez con.

Like it's dictator 101 to pretend to delegate/give power to minions, but make an environment where they all backstab each other and defer to you for everything.

Pence didn't fall for poo poo. This was the launch of Pence '20.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Looks like #thatmexicanthing is still trending 7 hours after debate, so I would chalk that as a good guys win.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bassetking posted:

Nothing like launching your campaign with obvious lies that can be played over and over again in perpetuity alongside the evidence. But hey, who knows, maybe the evangelicals embrace cloning over the next few years and repopulate themselves enough to sweep Pence to victory!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

remusclaw posted:

Nothing like launching your campaign with obvious lies that can be played over and over again in perpetuity alongside the evidence. But hey, who knows, maybe the evangelicals embrace cloning over the next few years and repopulate themselves enough to sweep Pence to victory!

Pence's performance was a masterful move in getting the establishment republicans on his side while making himself likeable and a known face to the Trumpster base. And he probably succeeded. At least with the establishment. Any politician worth his or her paycheck knows 2016 is Hillary's victory barring something unpredictable happening. People won't care about the lies, just he looked far more presidential than Trump ever did.

Mike Pence was protecting his future career.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Trumpster base is apparently cross with him over his Putin comments. Pence is the very model of an far right evangelical, a group so worthless and depleted now that they couldn't even get their guy through the primaries. With all the absolute poo poo on his record, what with fetal funerals and all, he is a prime candidate to be a tomato can in 4 years. You couldn't ask for a better opponent, except possibly another attempt by Trump.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bassetking posted:

This is the last thing that also makes Trump mad. Only he gets to waste other people's time to shill a personal brand. :colbert:

canepazzo posted:

Looks like #thatmexicanthing is still trending 7 hours after debate, so I would chalk that as a good guys win.

Yesss, open the blood gates. ~strokes Bond villain kitty~

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

remusclaw posted:

The Trumpster base is apparently cross with him over his Putin comments. Pence is the very model of an far right evangelical, a group so worthless and depleted now that they couldn't even get their guy through the primaries. With all the absolute poo poo on his record, what with fetal funerals and all, he is a prime candidate to be a tomato can in 4 years. You couldn't ask for a better opponent, except possibly another attempt by Trump.

I didn't say it was a GOOD plan. I only said that it was HIS plan.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

remusclaw posted:

Pence's career has shown that he never lets little things like most people hating what he thinks get in the way of gathering more power. So long as he has Trump to compare himself to, he figures that he can shine hard enough that the GOP will latch onto him.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Maybe him and Cruz will thunder dome in 20'.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Geostomp posted:

Pence's career has shown that he never lets little things like most people hating what he thinks get in the way of gathering more power. So long as he has Trump to compare himself to, he figures that he can shine hard enough that the GOP will latch onto him.

If Trump managed to lower expectations so much that 4 years from now, a conventionally terrible republican has a shot solely on the basis that he isn't Trump, things could get ugly. But demographics should likely do a decent job of protecting us from that, as while the white male conservative voters will forgive and forget, minority groups and women will not, and they will be even stronger than they are now as a voting bloc.

That's not to say you are wrong. Pence likely comes out of this with a better look than he had going in, though I wouldn't necessarily bet on it. Trump seems to be a career killer for Republicans, and I would have sworn Cruz was getting out of this cycle smelling like roses as compared to the rest of the party and he basically committed suicide by endorsement.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 5, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

remusclaw posted:

If Trump managed to lower expectations so much that 4 years from now, a conventionally terrible republican has a shot solely on the basis that he isn't Trump, things could get ugly. But demographics should likely do a decent job of protecting us from that, as while the white male conservative voters will forgive and forget, minority groups and women will not, and they will be even stronger than they are now as a voting bloc.

I think it'll be a mixed bag. "Independents" and moderates will love them some not-Trump "sensible, compassionate" establishment conservatism to cut some taxes and deregulate some business without being a crazy racist or religious nut. Conversely, I think the base will throw a tantrum at anything not approaching Hitler in terms of messaging and fight a primary war over which group gets control. The party better do a good job of writing the rules so that only they can win.

Edit: basically I'm going to reach forward in time and take a wild guess at a Cruz/Kaisch/David Duke three way split for who is most likely to take the nomination. :getin:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 5, 2016

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

remusclaw posted:

That's not to say you are wrong. Pence likely comes out of this with a better look than he had going in, though I wouldn't necessarily bet on it. Trump seems to be a career killer for Republicans, and I would have sworn Cruz was getting out of this cycle smelling like roses as compared to the rest of the party and he basically committed suicide by endorsement.

You have to realize that if absolutely everyone endorses Trump it doesn't matter. At least among republicans they won't be able to point to their fellow and say, "I didn't endorse Trump, but he did". Kasich is the only moderately sized name out there left that rejected Trump. By forcing Cruz to kiss the ring they take a powerful moral card out of his hands come 2020 if Trump loses because his specter will remain.

In short, Cruz was both made to concede to back the party and humiliated by endorsing him in order to spike his wheel in 2020. Or at least that's my guess. His disgrace was thorough.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Kasich is just a milder, more Grandpa-y Pence by the way.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I think the people on this board are overvaluing the effect of Cruz's ring-kissing. After 4 years of HRC and 12 years without an R in the White House I doubt anyone on the R side will give a poo poo about purity tests.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Barbe Rouge posted:

I think the people on this board are overvaluing the effect of Cruz's ring-kissing. After 4 years of HRC and 12 years without an R in the White House I doubt anyone on the R side will give a poo poo about purity tests.

The right is pretty much entirely about purity tests at this point.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Barbe Rouge posted:

Yes they will. That's why we got Trump in the first place.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Sorry to ask but I didn't catch the debate or the aftermath can someone give me a quick rundown on what happened, TIA.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Axetrain posted:

Sorry to ask but I didn't catch the debate or the aftermath can someone give me a quick rundown on what happened, TIA.

Pence did pretty well by pretending that he was VP for Romney instead of Trump. Forcefully arguing for GOP orthodoxy, especially in foreign policy with regards to Russia, and totally refusing to defend Trump's more outrageous statements.He deflected or spun them as either straight up not happening or being a product of Trump bein an unpolished politician whom the media is misinterpreting in the worst light.

Basically he threw Trump under the bus to win thr debate and launch Pence 2020 and the Donald is pissed.

Kaine was overagressive, interupting constantly and a bit befuddled by Pence's smoothly blatant lies.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Yes they will. That's why we got Trump in the first place.

How? I think he fails every single R purity test you can think of. All he does is dogwhistle and rile up the base.

• Locked thread