Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cigar Aficionado posted:

'16 will be just like '12. in 2012, Paul Ryan initially seemed to have done a bit better by lying his rear end off and seeming nice to Biden's aggressiveness, but in the long run, we remember Biden winning the debate. Same with 2016. Pence seemed to do better because he could sell cigarettes to children with a smile on his face, but in the long run he lost. Hung his running mate out to dry, lied his rear end off, provided the Dems with good attack ad material.

Also none of this matters because it's the VP debate.

And Hurricane Matthew is gonna wipe this completely off the media

The US hasn't had a huge hurricane in a while, so I think a lot of us have forgotten how much moist CNN gets over them

It'll be endless clips of reporters trying to stand up in 100 mph winds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I was in a food coma for a few hours, but I like that Donnie firing and replacing his VP with his daughter he wants to gently caress is now a slightly higher non-zero chance.

Though I still want the (3rd) campaign staff shakeup to happen.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Clinton team already putting out "Pence: Trump didn't say those things he said" style articles on their FB page, so I imagine they'll have that in video from by tomorrow.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
At some point, the moderator just should have moved on to domestic issues. And I mean early on. The foreign policy questions are always going to suck, because the average person has no idea what these issues are and doesn't actually care about them. You don't get a lot of time with the vice presidential candidates, and they are not really the commander-in-chief. At that point, people just want to know some fluffy platform poo poo. Be like, hey, we are the Democrats, our administration gave you gay marriage. We are all happy about that now, right? And have the Republicans be like, hey, remember needle exchange programs, we hate those. We want all the poor to die.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

A few pages back but the url to https://www.thatmexicanthing.com has this on the page.

Tim Kaine button pack. It's perfect.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

In the Nothing Matters election I suspect the VP debate which never matters will matter even less.

The broomcloset of history, indeed.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

If you missed the debate, Stephen Colbert made it slightly more palatable:

https://www.facebook.com/colbertlateshow/videos/953213141490104/

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

PhazonLink posted:

I was in a food coma for a few hours, but I like that Donnie firing and replacing his VP with his daughter he wants to gently caress is now a slightly higher non-zero chance.

"thomas eaglewho?"

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

PhazonLink posted:

The chaos would be fun, but it'll actually always be a zero chance because remember, the VP is also technically a nominated position by the RNC.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

Absolutely not. By the time the VP debates happened, our economy was already plunging into recession due to economic policies passed down by Republicans. McCain was gasping for air at that point. Additionally, Sarah Palin was seen as "folksy" and "charming" and many polls saw her as equal or even beating Biden in the debate. So try again before pulling bullshit out of your rear end.

Here is a post VP debate poll from 2008. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-poll-presidential-race-tightens/

Yeah a lot of people watched Biden/Palin mainly to see if Sarah would end up lighting the podium on fire or something, but it was ultimately a sideshow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

As a follow-up on this, if you go to the Regan Battalion twitter, you see follow-up tweets that make this seem more and more like a hoax.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

berserker posted:

The chaos would be fun, but it'll actually always be a zero chance because remember, the VP is also technically a nominated position by the RNC.

It's not unprecedented for a VP candidate to drop out after the convention, McGovern's running mate Thomas Eagleton dropped out of the race in 1972 after his history of mental illness was exposed in the press. But that (among a whole lot of other things, including the literal Watergate break-in) helped sink the Democratic ticket in 1972.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Covok posted:

As a follow-up on this, if you go to the Regan Battalion twitter, you see follow-up tweets that make this seem more and more like a hoax.

Nooo I need this kind of own-goal in my life.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/783522622785085441

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

lozzle posted:

Nooo I need this kind of own-goal in my life.

Well, it does seem like other people are tweeting a similar story.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/783514764249034754

So, there is that.

But, the stuff The Reagan Battlion is saying is just too hyperbolish to be true. Stuff like claiming he said "Melania was right" and banging a table sounds like too much for just some anonymous source.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Thats the good stuff

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That passage Kaine quoted at Pence was a dagger in the side of someone evangelical who would know the rest of the quote, and his response being "oh lol that mexican thing again" was pretty bad

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm watching the VP debate now and uh, wow, is it a shitshow like this the entire time?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

That passage Kaine quoted at Pence was a dagger in the side of someone evangelical who would know the rest of the quote, and his response being "oh lol that mexican thing again" was pretty bad

That's implying that evangelicals have read and/or give a poo poo about the text of the Bible

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

That's implying that evangelicals have read and/or give a poo poo about the text of the Bible

Pence probably has

his reaction to the line certainly made me think he at least knows enough to know that passage

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm watching the VP debate now and uh, wow, is it a shitshow like this the entire time?

Yeah

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

In my experience evangelicals tend to know the text of the bible much better than Catholics. Their skill in exegesis tends to be much worse, but they certainly know the words.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
The analysis I'd seen (on ABC I think?) seems to agree with a lot of what the thread's saying. Pence came ahead on style, and Kaine didn't do that well for himself. However they point out that Kaine kind-of did his job as VP because, although he loses personally, the campaign comes out ahead.

Especially now that it's been pointed out that there's plenty of room for news and ads to replay "Mike Pence denied Trump said this, but here's Trump saying this exact thing." And if it turns out that Pence winning personally by dodging on Trump instead pissed off the narcissist? Yikes.

So, one of those "minor tactical loss but solid strategic win" things.

vyelkin posted:

Apparently the only thing one of my liberal friends on facebook took away from this debate is that Tim Kaine is pro-life. :psyduck:

Pages late, but as has been pointed out, your friend is kind-of right. Except Tim Kaine is that kind of "pro-life" who responds to "Actually, pro-life would be against the death penalty" with "Yeah, I completely agree!" and "Actually, proper sex-ed is better than abstinence-only ed in reducing abortions" with "Oh my gosh, really? Thanks! I'll change my position on it going forward."

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ogmius815 posted:

In my experience evangelicals tend to know the text of the bible much better than Catholics. Their skill in exegesis tends to be much worse, but they certainly know the words.

In my experience their ability to care about the text is not quite as good though.

See: their support for Donald Trump

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/YohanaDesta/status/783417823456526344

This is from earlier but I don't recall seeing it up thread.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

lozzle posted:

In my experience their ability to care about the text is not quite as good though.

See: their support for Donald Trump

Supply side Jesus says otherwise.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

FAUXTON posted:

https://twitter.com/YohanaDesta/status/783417823456526344

This is from earlier but I don't recall seeing it up thread.

:drat:
:boom:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Epic High Five posted:

The evangelical right doesn't give a drat about the bible beyond selectively quoting passages to suit their prosperity gospel-driven apostasy.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Apparently the only thing one of my liberal friends on facebook took away from this debate is that Tim Kaine is pro-life. :psyduck:

Link them to this: https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/elections/candidates/president/tim-kaine

100% voter rating from Planned Parenthood.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Psawhn posted:

Pages late, but as has been pointed out, your friend is kind-of right. Except Tim Kaine is that kind of "pro-life" who responds to "Actually, pro-life would be against the death penalty" with "Yeah, I completely agree!" and "Actually, proper sex-ed is better than abstinence-only ed in reducing abortions" with "Oh my gosh, really? Thanks! I'll change my position on it going forward."

As others have probably already mentioned, Kaine's a Jesuit-educated Catholic. You can probably bet that he's leagues more socially, economically, and really every kind of progressive than top of ticket. Whether he personally believes in the Church's stance on abortion is anyone's guess, but we know his public policy stance on it is party line at worst. Nothing to worry about from Tim everyone's-dad-Kaine.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Glumslinger posted:

Thats the good stuff

I think that's going to be the post-debate take away. If Pence were at the top of the ticket, his strategy of Romney lying the whole time would have worked.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

And Hurricane Matthew is gonna wipe this completely off the media

The US hasn't had a huge hurricane in a while, so I think a lot of us have forgotten how much moist CNN gets over them

It'll be endless clips of reporters trying to stand up in 100 mph winds

Don't forget that the Town Hall debate is five days away as well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I have no clue, I was just spitballing. The props not being allowed thing is also a good reason.

Sarah Palin was a uniquely bad VP candidate, picked by a guy who statistically could very well have died in office, and even then I don't think she's even a main reason why he lost, rather than simply both a unique touchstone representative of that moment in American history and a preview of what was to come with the rise of the Tea Party and post-reality Republican politics.

Reminder that Trump is just as old and feeble as McCain was when he ran. Trump is also a lot fatter, making it more likely that he'd die while in office.

VP debates still don't matter much, though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

I would argue that exegesis is much more important than knowing the words verbatim. They're loving translated texts anyway, who gives a poo poo

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

QuarkJets posted:

Reminder that Trump is just as old and feeble as McCain was when he ran. Trump is also a lot fatter, making it more likely that he'd die while in office.

VP debates still don't matter much, though

I'd say McCain was in worse shape what with being a cancer survivor and all.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

QuarkJets posted:

It's really not that likely. The life expectancy for rich old dudes is actually pretty high. McCain dying in office would have actually made him a statistical outlier. Trump probably has another decade and a half in him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Trump is fat though. There's also talk of him abusing diet pills that are basically amphetamines, which would account for his manic late night shitposting. I hope he strokes out a little after his failure as a presidential candidate sinks in, sometime after inauguration.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I'd say McCain was in worse shape what with being a cancer survivor and all.

Trump looks like he's going to have a heart attack sometimes. Cancer is a big deal but heart disease is actually America's #1 killer

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Casimir Radon posted:

Trump is fat though. There's also talk of him abusing diet pills that are basically amphetamines, which would account for his manic late night shitposting. I hope he strokes out a little after his failure as a presidential candidate sinks in, sometime after inauguration.

We probably shouldn't wish death on him until after the election...

but no really gently caress him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

QuarkJets posted:

Trump looks like he's going to have a heart attack sometimes. Cancer is a big deal but heart disease is actually America's #1 killer

This is very true. Heart disease is sort of preventable as far as being a fat gently caress and eating poo poo goes. If only we had some info about Trump's health not from Dr Oz like we do for other candidates...

Ideally Trump would stroke out after hearing Fox call it for Hillary and him losing the ability to speak. drat I feel horrible after typing that.

• Locked thread