Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh man. Thawne purposefully hosed with things to get rid of Iris. Juuuuust to be a dick.

And apparently we get main timeline Rival. And Dr. Alchemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Is Alchemy already working with Mirror Master tho?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Maybe parallel Felicity is fun again. Maybe this is objectively a better universe.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm a little more optimistic now that i know flashpoint was just a one-off and not like, half of the entire season

i'm still doubtful they'll fix the problems i had with season 2 but i'll give them a chance to change my mind

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm a little more optimistic now that i know flashpoint was just a one-off and not like, half of the entire season

On the one hand, yes, on the other hand it was basically exactly the same as the Earth 2 episode. I wanted more.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tree Dude posted:

On the one hand, yes, on the other hand it was basically exactly the same as the Earth 2 episode. I wanted more.

not true, the earth 2 episode had joe as a jazz singer making it objectively superior to flashpoint

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm still doubtful they'll fix the problems i had with season 2 but i'll give them a chance to change my mind

My main problems with season 2 were:

- spent like 1/3 of the season setting up LoT which mucked up its own storylines
- crappy mystery with season villain
- mopey Barry
- removing Cold and Heatwave

I feel like the first won't be repeated, the second they hopefully learned from, 3 looks like a strong possibility about now. But the following things make the season sound potentially more fun:

- more Rogues and especially Cold
- a musical episode
- a non-speedster villain

So I am pretty optimistic.

Also last season had a bad season premiere, a bad mid-season finale, and then another bad mid-season premiere all in a row. This season premiere was pretty dope I thought.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

not true, the earth 2 episode had joe as a jazz singer making it objectively superior to flashpoint

Everything about E2 was awesome. Especially kick rear end cop Iris. Imagine if they actually wrote her that way in the rest of the show, only her occupation was different.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Everything about E2 was awesome. Especially kick rear end cop Iris. Imagine if they actually wrote her that way in the rest of the show, only her occupation was different.

maybe if every episode takes place in a different universe or timeline it won't matter that the writers have no idea what to do with about half of their cast at any given time

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I really enjoyed this episode. Sucks that they didn't have S1 Flash standing in the doorway watching the shenanigans go down. Room full of Flash and Reverse Flash.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Wally-Iris brother-sister crime fighting duo was awesome. Iris is so great when they let her do stuff that's more than just being Barry's object of affection!! And when she does, the relationship with Barry seems more real! Why do tv writers almost never get this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

The Flashpoint universe itself was one episode but an altered universe is permanent now.

We're in the New 52 now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's all it took for Barry to let Thawne murder his mom? Joe was a drunk and Wally got laid up in the hospital for a bit?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

but seriously, that scene where Barry's mom get murdered is actually really disturbing considering how many times its changed now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus the Rival costume was terrible.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I laughed when the rival took his mask off cos I remember that guy when he was the bad boy in Home and Away, an Aussie soap, years ago. He was pretty boring in this episode though. Maybe he'll be better in this timeline.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's all it took for Barry to let Thawne murder his mom? Joe was a drunk and Wally got laid up in the hospital for a bit?

That and Iris saying she felt incomplete and Barry forgetting the prime timeline, which shockingly, he had a problem with.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Thought this was a great return to form. Thawne is just a total prick and whoever keeps casting former Spartacus actors is great. Bring on Crassus and Gannicus and I'll blow a load directly into my shorts and I cannot WAIT to see how Wells version 3.0 turns out.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I laughed when the rival took his mask off cos I remember that guy when he was the bad boy in Home and Away, an Aussie soap, years ago. He was pretty boring in this episode though. Maybe he'll be better in this timeline.

He was also Caesar in the last season of Spartacus.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Reverse Flash was great as always, The Rival looked really really stupid, and when they said Iris wasn't there at the end I was hoping RF killed her so we could see Koalas have a meltdown.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Is Barry trying to find a timeline where he's not a complete idiot or what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grem posted:

Is Barry trying to find a timeline where he's not a complete idiot or what?

That's the timeline where he goes back to the night his mom died and he shoves 10 year old Barry in front of the knife.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

howe_sam posted:

That and Iris saying she felt incomplete and Barry forgetting the prime timeline, which shockingly, he had a problem with.

I want my mom to be alive but I don't want to forget growing up with her dead and my dad in prison. Yeah it's weird, but I can see and argument that he would lose what made him who he was. Thawne also implied that as the timeline purged memories and remnants from an erased past he would lose his powers. What is more selfish, getting the normal life you felt robbed of you and unloading your heroic burden onto an ill equipped Wally with all his friends worse off, or salvaging your memories/powers and status quo at the cost of your moms life? Neither are great choices and I love how it feeds into Thawnes plans of "You'll never be happy, Barry."

This whole thing was hosed up enough for Barry, but ultimately it was entirely his own doing. Reverse Flash had to make Iris estranged just to keep up with Barry in the "gently caress with Barry Allens life" contest.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Jesus the Rival costume was terrible.

My friend's friend described it as a knock-off Shadow the Hedgehog kinda thing. :lol:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

In the first Barry-Iris scene in this episode they had awesome chemistry, and it looked like they'd finally got it right. Then for every other scene it felt super forced and awkward again.

E: This poster is dope though

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 5, 2016

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hey girl I just started dating, cool if I just erase you from existence?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha, flashpoint resolved in one episode. Never change garbage unambitious CW superhero shows. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah, clearly not even close to being resolved.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This was a Good Episode so that makes me feel a bit better about the show at the moment.

...On the other hand, season 2 had Good Episodes as well. The problem won't be if individual episodes are Good, but if the overlying concepts and narrative of the season will hang together better than they did last year.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Uh, wait. Thawne went back into the past and successfully killed Barry's mom, but now he's got perfectly functional speed powers. Then who the gently caress trained the Flash?

I thought the whole reason original Thawne stole Wells' life, built the accelerator, gave Barry powers and made him go fast was to get to the future so he could kick Barry's rear end, but he couldn't do it himself because his speed powers were broken. Well, that roadblock is clearly gone since he uses his speed to travel through time. How could any part of the first two seasons have happened now? And it's not like there's a spare Wells around in the past to do the training and become Flash's spare dad, because that guy clearly disappeared.

Side note: Barry is still way too chill with people stabbing his mom.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
What an incredible disappointment.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

Haha, flashpoint resolved in one episode. Never change garbage unambitious CW superhero shows. :allears:

To be fair, the movie did it in an hour and a half with the entire roster of characters.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Koalas March posted:

It's really shame that they went for "no-consequences Murder-a-thon" on E2.
I want more E2 and they killed most of the cool characters there!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Flash needs to go to a timeline where he played Chrono Trigger as a kid. He can make time duplicates so if he really wants to save his mom without changing the timeline there ya go.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Well, that was pretty meh. I'm not a big fan of Flashpoint the story, and while I'm glad the show didn't really do a beat by beat interpretation it was a bit ho hum. Seemed all over the place. Their devotion to finding ways to keep will-they-won't-they with Barry and Iris is almost impressive in its perpetuity.

Having just caught up with the thread because the show started and I'd figured I'd chime in on this as a resident Flash super nerd:

Guy A. Person posted:

Already appeared on the show:

Weather Wizard - dude who controls weather
Heatwave - dude with flame thrower pistol (yeah not too impressive)
Captain Boomerang - dude who throws gimmick boomerangs (somehow less impressive than the last guy)
Trickster - guy who uses toy and gag based things like exploding rubber chickens or balloons filled with toxic gas
Pied Piper - dude who uses sound based weapons
Gorilla Grodd - talking gorilla with mental powers

Haven't appeared yet:

Mirror Master - uses a bunch of crazy mirror based powers, including using any reflective surface as a portal to teleport through, creating mirror clones of people, turning them to glass, etc
The Top - started out like the Trickster and Captain Boomerang where he just used top based weapons, but eventually gained the ability to spin at ridiculous speeds and also gained some mental powers (a female version has been cast for the show this season)
Dr. Alchemy - can transmute matter, but not organic matter
Abra Kadabra - from such a distant future that his technology looks like magic

Those are the most prominent and powerful, there are others like Rainbow Raider who has appeared in a few episodes and the Turtle Man who was killed last season in a plot point that unfortunately didn't go anywhere.

Richard Swift AKA The Shade -- technically a Flash villain (Jay Garrick's) and arguably the coolest, most interesting villain/anti-villain of all time. Richard Swift is probably the best Flash related character aside from maybe Wally West. His powers are shadow control simulating teleportation, dimensional travel, pseudo matter manipulation etc.

Killgore: A weird one, Killgore is a super powerful robot AI thing that can pull poo poo like making people think it's an Irish ghost possessing someone. Imagine a combination of the T-1000, Patrick Swayze in Ghost, and a muppet.

The Fiddler: Another Jay Garrick character, could basically be repackaged as just a dude who controls peoples' minds with his fiddle and blast things. Proto-Pied Piper.

Cobalt Blue: I have no clue how they'd do this one faithfully on the show, but the basic premise is magical blue fire that possesses people, can time travel, and can split itself into multiple entities to possess multiple people. At his basest he'd be your classic "make the hero fight all his friends without hurting them" bad guy.

The Folded Man: He can turn two dimensional, which makes him basically impossible to interact with and lets him cut things. Also makes portals somehow with his body?

Magenta: Magneto, but if Magneto was your friendly exgirlfriend whose powers make her bipolar (insensitive comic puns woo) and psychopathic.

Savitar: Probably my favorite one off villain, he's basically an evil speedster who treats the Speed Force as a religion and he is the high prophet. Is unique amongst speedsters in that he doesn't challenge the Flash by being faster, just knowing how to use the Speed Force to do crazier things like telekinesis, aging people to dust, and Wolverine level instant healing. It's nice when the Fastest Man Alive has someone who can keep up with him without also undermining the whole Fastest Man Alive schtick.

There's many many more and The Flash probably has one of the more interesting villain pantheons, up there with Batman, Spider-man and the X-men in my stupid fanboy opinion.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 5, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Richard Swift AKA The Shade -- technically a Flash villain (Jay Garrick's) and arguably the coolest, most interesting villain/anti-villain of all time.

What's interesting about him out of...well, interest?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

tsob posted:

What's interesting about him out of...well, interest?

So, the funny thing about Swift is the vast majority of his real characterization comes from his time as a major supporting character in Starman, rather than his many comics as a Golden Age Flash villain.

Basically, Shade was originally this goofy golden age bad guy with no depth, but in his interactions with Ted and Jack Knight (the respective first and...eighth Starman?) they fleshed out his character into this more morally sympathetic man who's not truly out to harm anyone (kind of retroactively explaining his "goofiness" in the golden age despite his absurd power).

He's basically not a great person but, much like what people like about The Rogues, he runs headlong at the true horrors in the darkness and uses his eerie powers to thwart people that are real threats. He's a villain turned hero when the real villains arrive. His powers are also really cool looking, for whatever it's worth(though they overlap with Mirror Master a lot). He's also got a really charming personality.

It's kind of hard to explain without just running through his character progression, but if you're really interested try to find James Robinson's Starman. Watching his transformation from silly moustache twirler to the begrudging hero of Opal City is magical.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So if he showed up on this show his gimmick would be "You're faster than the speed of light Flash, but tell me... Are you faster than the speed of DARK?" And then he'd be killed by the end of the episode.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

greatn posted:

So if he showed up on this show his gimmick would be "You're faster than the speed of light Flash, but tell me... Are you faster than the speed of DARK?" And then he'd be killed by the end of the episode.

One of his calling cards is literally that he is The Immortal Shade so that'd be quite sad.

But after what they did with Zolomon I wouldn't be surprised.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Go into past, take mom back into future with you while burning down house on the way out. Simple.

(Leave a spare corpse in there if you have to, not going to be hard for Barry to find one of those lying around.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was a lovely Flashpoint. We needed some time coming apart at the seams, natural disasters, you know some kind of actual threat besides headaches and losing your memories of the lovely reality you came from.

Rocksicles posted:

To be fair, the movie did it in an hour and a half with the entire roster of characters.

And the comic was only 5 issues. That's like 100 pages.

Unkempt posted:

Go into past, take mom back into future with you while burning down house on the way out. Simple.

(Leave a spare corpse in there if you have to, not going to be hard for Barry to find one of those lying around.)

Time isn't Law and Order, I don't think you can trick it.

• Locked thread