Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
O'Brien's face does resemble a potato though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nerdman42 posted:

I remember seeing some thinkpiece article about how JJ movies don't last in the mind once your out of the theater. You have a good time there, but nothing sticks.

I don't know if I buy it, but the idea is out there.
Going back a few pages because it's the first chance I've had to read the thread in a week, but I've been thinking exactly this lately. JJ Abrams is basically a salesman who follows the old advertising mantra "sell the sizzle, not the steak". All his projects are the same; they're sizzle with no steak, nice shiny surfaces with nothing beneath them, like his beloved Mystery Box schtick. They're fun enough to watch in the moment, but as soon as they're done, if you haven't already forgotten them you start going "wait a minute..." and realise you've been had. And by then it's too late, because he's already got your money.

Hmm. JJ Abrams. PT Barnum. Hmm...

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Xand_Man posted:

IIRC it made her feel like she was doing something useful when the Dominion War was starting to heat up.

The school went under when the Dominion War was starting to heat up because families started leaving the station, so Miles kicked her off the station got her a place as a botanist on an expedition to Bajor for awhile.

Then she sorta stopped showing up in episodes unless it was an O'Brien Must Suffer episode.

Edit: Speaking of O'Brien Must Suffer, I just started Time's Orphan, where the O'Briens' eight year old daughter falls into a time portal and comes back at the age of 18.

I'm paraphrasing what was said:

O'Brien: What if I try again, bring her back from an earlier time?

Bashir: Then there will be no one to grow up into this young woman.

Keiko: We'll be taking those ten years away from her, we can't do that!

Get hosed, Keiko. You just said that you want your daughter to keep the ten years she spent living on a planet by herself. I know there's no episode if you say "yes, I want to save her from growing up alone on an alien planet," but Christ. You're terrible.

McNally fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 4, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember O'Brien saying "drat" a lot in the DS9 premier and it was weird because he'd never cussed even once on TNG.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

I remember O'Brien saying "drat" a lot in the DS9 premier and it was weird because he'd never cussed even once on TNG.

He cussed all the time, but alone in the transporter room.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Enlightened officers don't cuss, unsophisticated enlisted do.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Discovery better have a ton of F Bombs

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Doesn't he actually say bollocks a couple times on DS9? I'm unclear how serious a curse that is, I'm Canadian; our worst curse is "thank you" :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The censors didn't realize what the word means. Picard also says "poo poo" in French one time.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pwnstar posted:

Some more episode thoughts for you guys. So far I'm not really getting strong feel for the show overall, everything feels very flat and sterile. It doesn't have the "heart" that TOS had, at least not yet.
That's just first-season issues, it gets better in the second season, and way better in the third. Nobody really had a feel for the characters in the early episodes, and a lot of them just flat out don't really have anything to do in their original roles (Geordi as the extraneous pilot, Worf just kind of hanging out in the background)

quote:

I'm disappointed with Troi's character. She's not really doing psi-ops stuff anymore, just saying incredibly obvious things about how the guy jumping up and down and yelling is feeling anger.
But uh, don't hold your breath on this one.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Knormal posted:

That's just first-season issues, it gets better in the second season, and way better in the third. Nobody really had a feel for the characters in the early episodes, and a lot of them just flat out don't really have anything to do in their original roles (Geordi as the extraneous pilot, Worf just kind of hanging out in the background)

Geordi's schtick for several episodes was to go to a window in 10 Forward, the Captain's ready room, or the Observation lounge and look out the window with his visor, which evidently was better than just using the ship's sensors.

~a man with unique vision~

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Geordi's schtick for several episodes was to go to a window in 10 Forward, the Captain's ready room, or the Observation lounge and look out the window with his visor, which evidently was better than just using the ship's sensors.

Human augmentation is okay if you have to wear dorky looking sunglases the whole time, it balances out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I forgot about that. That was amazingly stupid. Like the ship's sensors were some how less advanced than a hair band spray painted silver. I could see if the back story was that some hyper-advanced aliens gave him his V.I.S.O.R. but it's just some poo poo some doctors cobbled together to help some cripple. Like, "captain, forget about your sonar, let me use my hearing aid to find the enemy sub!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Oh you know... I just realized, I forgot to take the window's polarization into account... so yeah, we're actually probably going to die, my bad."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Geordi, what's that glowing thing?

That's Data. He's not a real person and has no rights, so he has an electronic glow about him in my nerd vision.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I laughed a lot when Wesley managed to get sentenced to death after about an hour on a planet for his first mission ever. The Prime Directive continues to be interpreted in very strange ways. Beaming down to a less advanced world and telling them all about the Federation, partying with them, beaming one onto the ship and showing her "God" orbiting the planet is all ok. Not allowing a minor to be executed for laws he was not aware of on a planet he doesn't live on is very wrong though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

That's Data. He's not a real person and has no rights, so he has an electronic glow about him in my nerd vision.

"Also, it's perfectly reasonable to be playing with the VISOR-transmitter thingy for the very first time while we're on a rescue mission on a ship that's literally about to blow up."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't even get how accidentally falling on some flowers was a crime. I thought they were just super strict about what counts as "life", but I guess everyone there considered it as petty as it was but Wesley had to be executed because all criminals in that area were marked for execution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I don't even get how accidentally falling on some flowers was a crime. I thought they were just super strict about what counts as "life", but I guess everyone there considered it as petty as it was but Wesley had to be executed because all criminals in that area were marked for execution.

Disturbing new plants was a crime. All crimes are punishable by death. Crimes only count when that area is under observation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuK-GCRM7XA

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

But his mom and brother don't because that would interfere with the plot also we forgot we wrote that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That one effects shot destroys the whole "data's mom shows up" episode.

nmx
May 16, 2004

Not necessarily. As I recall, the line was something like "It's because he's an android," as if Geordi sees other androids all the time, which was a strange way to put it and I'd take it with a grain of salt. His mother was a much more advanced model. Maybe she emitted an EM signature that looked human. She fooled sensors after all.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

Disturbing new plants was a crime. All crimes are punishable by death. Crimes only count when that area is under observation.

I never thought about it before, but had Wesley listened to his new friends yelling at him to stop or decided against jumping over a (short) railing so he could elbow-drop a greenhouse then they would have just executed the native who threw a football into the greenhouse anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That would be hilarious. "Where's that one kid?" "Oh, when he threw that ball, it disturbed new plants. He was executed 15 minutes ago. WHO WANTS PIZZA?"

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

"How was your party last week?"
"Well some people accidentally littered so, you know, that went about the way you'd expect."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pwnstar posted:

I laughed a lot when Wesley managed to get sentenced to death after about an hour on a planet for his first mission ever. The Prime Directive continues to be interpreted in very strange ways. Beaming down to a less advanced world and telling them all about the Federation, partying with them, beaming one onto the ship and showing her "God" orbiting the planet is all ok. Not allowing a minor to be executed for laws he was not aware of on a planet he doesn't live on is very wrong though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yylr7fFt4VA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WickedHate posted:

Human augmentation is okay if you have to wear dorky looking sunglases the whole time, it balances out.

To be fair, Geordi didn't ask for this.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I guess the day job is starting to wear off on me. I work for a group that represents folks who use hearing aids, cochlear implants, and other assistive devices, and Geordi presents a kind of visibility (no pun intended) that you don't see anywhere else. The thought of even one kid feeling less ashamed about their hearing aid (or whatever) because of Geordi's VISOR is pretty :unsmith:.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

After The War posted:

I guess the day job is starting to wear off on me. I work for a group that represents folks who use hearing aids, cochlear implants, and other assistive devices, and Geordi presents a kind of visibility (no pun intended) that you don't see anywhere else. The thought of even one kid feeling less ashamed about their hearing aid (or whatever) because of Geordi's VISOR is pretty :unsmith:.

That makes me think a nearer-future Trek-style show would be kind of neat. Showing the future of hopeful tech development with characters who would be considered "disabled" in our time accomplishing acts of adventure and heroism the "abled" of today could only dream of. Even get into some of the physiological and mental disorders which are almost invisible in present-day due to stigma, and seeing them taking the reins of an exploratory vessel.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Brawnfire posted:

That makes me think a nearer-future Trek-style show would be kind of neat. Showing the future of hopeful tech development with characters who would be considered "disabled" in our time accomplishing acts of adventure and heroism the "abled" of today could only dream of. Even get into some of the physiological and mental disorders which are almost invisible in present-day due to stigma, and seeing them taking the reins of an exploratory vessel.

Every episode would be 90% "my ruby quartz lenses contain my optic blasts" speeches, but about brain medicine(s). Sounds like a hoot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Every episode would be 90% "my ruby quartz lenses contain my optic blasts" speeches, but about brain medicine(s). Sounds like a hoot.

Good thing you're not a screenwriter, I guess?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wife and I are watching through DS9 for the first time. We just watched the Mirror Universe episode in Season 2.

It's like everyone else is like "I'm going to play a more subtly different version of my character than what they did in TOS"

then Space Pirate Sisko jumps in to the scene and totally hams it up. It's great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's because Avery Brooks is a global treasure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also Intendant Kira.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone on DS9 who isn't Jadzia is great and I have a hard time picking favourites. It's a really good ensemble cast and they all play off each other well, even the minor characters are indispensable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Everyone on DS9 who isn't Jadzia is great and I have a hard time picking favourites. It's a really good ensemble cast and they all play off each other well, even the minor characters are indispensable.

Yeah, Morn is pretty great.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, Morn is pretty great.

I'd like him more if he'd ever shut up. He just goes on and on.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

After The War posted:

It's interesting that there's some subset of the deaf community who is really cruel to cochlear implant users calling them "robots" and poo poo because it is perceived as an assault on deaf culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's interesting that there's some subset of the deaf community who is really cruel to cochlear implant users calling them "robots" and poo poo because it is perceived as an assault on deaf culture.

Yeah, I was going to say that these days there's actually factions within disability groups that would see a disabled character going on adventures due to cool cyber implants and poo poo as an attack on their unique culture and abilities. They're not disabled they're just different, maybe even better than you, normie. Are you trying to say being deaf is a disability? Are you trying to say it's an inferior culture you want to genocide with implants and forced education at schools with people who can hear?