Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Trivia posted:

Even still Nimoy's readings were excellent. I was pretty disappointed with Civ V, and I'm not super excited about Civ VI's either.

I'm kinda split on it at times, but the reading on the Chivalry quote makes up for any other shortcomings it might have.

Krazyface posted:

Stolen from reddit: Levi Strauss is a Great Merchant in VI, and generates two copies of the unique "jeans" luxury resource.

If Great Merchants gave you permanent access to a new unique luxury resource every time you consumed one, I would like spawning them a hell of a lot more.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

I'm kinda split on it at times, but the reading on the Chivalry quote makes up for any other shortcomings it might have.

If Great Merchants gave you permanent access to a new unique luxury resource every time you consumed one, I would like spawning them a hell of a lot more.

Great Admirals can be used for that in Vox Populi

e: It's not actually unique, but it's drawn from the list of luxuries that didn't spawn in the game

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Red Bones posted:

Is it making the tech progression go this fast? That's hilarious. Is it balanced so that the AI are hitting all the eurekas too and keeping apace, or is it just something you can do as a player to throw the balance of the game completely off?

The eurekas certainly help, and players are better at getting them than the AI can be, but on the other hand Quill was researching the Modern era techs in 6-7 turns with the amount of science he was turning out.

Azhais posted:

The downside to a line of cities would seem to be you'd miss out on all those district buildings that radiate out 6 hexes. Make your empire like a giant wheel with spokes!

That's probably better, I was thinking of V's small empires.

Speaking of districts, can you work tiles outside of the traditional 3 rings as districts expand your cities? Or are districts an unavoidable reduction in the raw tiles you can work?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Darkrenown posted:

Speaking of districts, can you work tiles outside of the traditional 3 rings as districts expand your cities? Or are districts an unavoidable reduction in the raw tiles you can work?
As far as I can tell from the videos I've seen it's the latter.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I like that they have "opened up" a lot of mechanics to the player, it seems that there really is a lot more choices to make which I love. On the other hand, the AI being what it is, I think this will also open up breaking the game even more than what was possible before.

I guess we'll see what the higher difficulties will be like.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I think you guys complaining about how not serious the Civ 6 quotes are missing how goofy some of the Civ 5 quotes are.

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves", for Combustion, anyone?

"I think we can agree, the past is over."?

fishception fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 5, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

It's a song lyric, and also Genghis Khan is in the series.

Unfortunately, we're not getting even a little bit Genghis Khan in Civ VI

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I get a little bit Pedro II

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Unfortunately, we're not getting even a little bit Genghis Khan in Civ VI

I think you can get as much Genghis Khan as you can afford.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I think you guys complaining about how not serious the Civ 6 quotes are missing how goofy some of the Civ 5 quotes are.

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves", for Combustion, anyone?

"I think we can agree, the past is over."?

yeah but at least they were by people who knew they knew nothing, instead of xXx_shadowNaRuT0_xXx, who knows he knows all there is to be known, and then the obligatory future tech quote from the bush clan/bush clan retainers

also that apocryphal einstein quote is ace

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 5, 2016

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I want all my quotes to be SMAC-style deep reflections on the nature of man in a cold and uncaring universe with no God but the one we are slowly constructing for ourselves piece by piece.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I want each and every quote to move me to tears. If I'm not a blubbering wreck by the classical era I'm getting that steam refund pronto.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, "What makest thou?"

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm sure he's a smart guy in real life but I have never seen a movie where Sean Bean is portrayed as the kind of person who would deliver philosophical quotes about things. I mean, I haven't seen him in anything since Game of Thrones, and he's kind of a dope in that. Nimoy, now there's a man I could believe would tell me a buncha quotes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hogama posted:

I think you can get as much Genghis Khan as you can afford.

I'm surprised that he's a great general, when he should clearly be a great musician:

https://youtu.be/4pIc6-vO1l4?t=1m30s

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's Russia!

Same stuff that was leaked:

Leader Unique ability: Great Embassy - Peter receives science and culture from trade routes to more advanced civilizations.
Civ Unique ability: Extra territory on founding cities, treats Tundra as Plains (with +1 Faith)
Civ Unique unit: Cossack - Stronger than Cavalry (which it replaces) and can move after attacking.
Civ Unique district: Lavra - Replaces Holy Site. When you use a Great Person at a city with a Lavra, you add a tile to the city's cultural border.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 5, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Red Bones posted:

I'm sure he's a smart guy in real life but I have never seen a movie where Sean Bean is portrayed as the kind of person who would deliver philosophical quotes about things. I mean, I haven't seen him in anything since Game of Thrones, and he's kind of a dope in that. Nimoy, now there's a man I could believe would tell me a buncha quotes.

Sean Bean has done a ton of voice work that is really great. Also he was Trevelyan in Goldeneye, Boromir from LOTR, the Nasa administrator in Interstellar, and the bad guy in National Treasure. He isnt Jason Statham characters here, hes not someone who always portrays a meathead.

Now you take those words back about one of my favorite actors :mad:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Morgan Freeman is a man I could have read me quotes about iron working and navigation all day long.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jastiger posted:

Sean Bean has done a ton of voice work that is really great. Also he was Trevelyan in Goldeneye, Boromir from LOTR, the Nasa administrator in Interstellar, and the bad guy in National Treasure. He isnt Jason Statham characters here, hes not someone who always portrays a meathead.

Now you take those words back about one of my favorite actors :mad:

Boromir is kind of a meathead.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Get Gilbert Gottfried to be the quote man imo. Or be like DOTA and get Justin Roiland.

Anyone else think Russia seems weak as hell? Their Civ ability seems okay, but I'm bothered that Great Embassy requires you to essentially be losing to be useful, which I find is never really good design to "encourage" suboptimal plays. I'm also not sure if I'm underestimating the Lavra, but +1 tile sometimes seems like a monumentally paltry ability. It's not Civ wide, and I don't remember tiles actually being that expensive, so the gold benefit is pretty miniscule (and if it does get expensive, chances are you're grabbing suboptimal tiles at that point anyway).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Get Gilbert Gottfried to be the quote man imo. Or be like DOTA and get Justin Roiland.

Anyone else think Russia seems weak as hell? Their Civ ability seems okay, but I'm bothered that Great Embassy requires you to essentially be losing to be useful, which I find is never really good design to "encourage" suboptimal plays. I'm also not sure if I'm underestimating the Lavra, but +1 tile sometimes seems like a monumentally paltry ability. It's not Civ wide, and I don't remember tiles actually being that expensive, so the gold benefit is pretty miniscule (and if it does get expensive, chances are you're grabbing suboptimal tiles at that point anyway).

I dunno how the culture victory in 6 works but if it works like it does in 5 then Russia seems like it could be a good culture civ. You end up behind on science from spending all your hammers on wonders, and you pump out lots of great people that get expended for great works, and Russia's bonuses synergise with both of those things. Abilities that claim you a lot of extra territory seem useful in a game where wide play is better and thus there is going to be a lot of conflict over getting tiles before the other civs do.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Lavra's special is a bit underwhelming, perhaps, but as a unique district, it costs half what it does for other civilizations and does not count against a city's district cap. Which means Russia can afford to put a Lavra in every city, racking up Faith and Great Prophet Points.
I'd expect that Russia in VI is actually pretty good at a Religious Victory.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Red Bones posted:

I dunno how the culture victory in 6 works but if it works like it does in 5 then Russia seems like it could be a good culture civ. You end up behind on science from spending all your hammers on wonders, and you pump out lots of great people that get expended for great works, and Russia's bonuses synergise with both of those things. Abilities that claim you a lot of extra territory seem useful in a game where wide play is better and thus there is going to be a lot of conflict over getting tiles before the other civs do.

From watching streams I believe you need to have an amount of tourists larger than the maximum possible tourists the second highest Civ can hold. I'm probably missing a little bit there, but I've only seen the tab showing how "close" quill was a couple times in his stream/let's play. Wonders and great works will absolutely pump up your tourism, though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Red Bones posted:

Boromir is kind of a meathead.

He was the Prince of Gondor schooled in the arts of war and the arts themselves. Read a book!!!!!!!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

he died like a bitch

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's Sean Bean, he dies in everything. He's erudite in Equilibrium.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

First mod should just replace all quotes with Sean Bean character quotes. He even talks about Cossacks in GoldenEye

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

From watching quill18s Rome video, border expansion isn't super fast, especially if you don't focus on culture. He was routinely spending hundreds of gold on buying tiles, which adds up pretty fast. The extra tiles at the start (looks like a bonus +8 tiles at settling) plus the extras from the Lavra will let you get a lot of territory under control pretty quickly. +1 production and faith on Tundra is alright. Great for Tundra Woods/Hills and Tundra resources. Still won't make flat Tundra good though.

The real bonus of the Lavra, as people have said, is that it is half-price and doesn't count towards the district limit. As the Holy Site is one of the two earliest districts, this means you don't really need to choose between faith and science in the early game, and pretty much every city will get a Holy Site. Basically guarantees an early religion too, since you can get GP points earlier than almost anyone. And Holy Sites everywhere means huge faith means plenty of Great People purchasing, which feeds into the Lavra for more tiles.

Peter's Leader UA is weak though, depending on the numbers. It does mean that if you fall behind in one of the trees you can catch up a bit through trading. I think Russia's other abilities are strong enough to balance it out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gort posted:

It's Sean Bean, he dies in everything. He's erudite in Equilibrium.

Didn't die in National Treasure. Went to jail instead

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also didn't die in Ronin unless the IRA offs him offscreen for loving up

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

IcePhoenix posted:

From watching streams I believe you need to have an amount of tourists larger than the maximum possible tourists the second highest Civ can hold. I'm probably missing a little bit there, but I've only seen the tab showing how "close" quill was a couple times in his stream/let's play. Wonders and great works will absolutely pump up your tourism, though.

FilthyRobot won a cultural victory as Kongo though he wasn't entirely sure how it worked while he was doing it. He generated so many great people that he was having them sit around because he didn't have any places to put their works. Domestic tourism seems to be a function of the population of your cities, so to win you have to more tourists visiting your civ than the population of the largest civ in the game other than you. I'm also not sure how it converts the domestic tourists of other nations into international tourists to your cities.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I wish that they had just ponied up the money and gotten Nimoy to do VA work the again. His were my favorite.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Omnicarus posted:

I wish that they had just ponied up the money and gotten Nimoy to do VA work the again. His were my favorite.

Necromancers cost quite a bit nowadays, though...

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

I've got some bad news for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Senerio posted:

Necromancers cost quite a bit nowadays, though...

Just lmao if you don't have at least 10,000 GP worth of diamonds

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm not hard up about Sean Bean as the narrator, but I think I like Morgan Sheppard better. The intros to Civ V and its expansions are some of my favourites of all time- I have some misgivings that BNW didn't continue the trend of the vanilla and G&K intros, ie. Wisdom being passed down through the ages to 'Morgan Sheppard's' descendants. But the BNW intro was still beautiful enough to not matter.

That being said, with each iteration of Civ I think to myself 'David Attenborough will be dead before the next one!' and get a little sad. Maybe we'll get NDT sometime though?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StashAugustine posted:

Civ V's narrator was actually really good

I still love the electricity quote, as well as the Iron one that's a response to the quote from 4.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Civ V's dude had a voice made for naration and bit parts on Star Trek.

He was a good choice.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sean Bean is real cool, I just wish he didn't have to read a quote from Monty Python

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jay Rust posted:

Sean Bean is real cool, I just wish he didn't have to read a quote from Monty Python

what quote?