Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I am so excited not to be on the road alone anymore! I haven't been excited about a gig in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bongwizzard posted:

What did I miss?

Also, going to be in New Orleans for a week or so. I'm staying by Canal and Bourbon streets and should have most evenings free. What should I eat and drink? For once I have coworkers with me and they are pretty open if unadventurous without prodding. My goal is to eat a gallon of gumbo at a minimum and maybe get drunk and vomit on the street at least once.

Check out the episode of gently caress, that's Delicious on YouTube where he goes to New Orleans.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bongwizzard posted:

What did I miss?

Also, going to be in New Orleans for a week or so. I'm staying by Canal and Bourbon streets and should have most evenings free. What should I eat and drink? For once I have coworkers with me and they are pretty open if unadventurous without prodding. My goal is to eat a gallon of gumbo at a minimum and maybe get drunk and vomit on the street at least once.

Crossposting from the Cajun food thread OP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&userid=110909#post442470036

A few posts above that one I recommended some more traditional / old spots as well but Phil gives a more current rundown of what's good there now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Where you are wrong here is that a debris po boy is amazing drunk food.

Ok the debris is the only good thing on their menu. Everything else, especially that debris + pulled pork thing are garbage, it ruins everything good about the debris

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

BUTCHER/COCHON: Trendy Donald Link charcuterie/curing lunch joint. Get the fantastic muffuleta or buckboard bacon sandwich. If you have a party and they're not squeamish split an order of the headcheese.

Bart's corollary: if you have a party and they ARE squeamish, eat en entire order of headcheese in front of them while moaning blissfully about how. drat. Good. Headcheese. Is.

I once ate almost an entire order of hot pot garlic frogs in a Boston Chinatown restaurant because most of the party was squicked out by the fact it wasn't just the legs. I took to reassembling the little skeletons as I ate, which both amused me and further horrified the weaklings.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I like frog legs but don't find the idea of whole frogs appealing. Mainly because we have this mounted frog skeleton kicknack and them little fuckers are boney as poo poo.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I was only able to eat frog legs once and I don't know why I was surprised they tasted like fish.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I like frog legs but don't find the idea of whole frogs appealing. Mainly because we have this mounted frog skeleton kicknack and them little fuckers are boney as poo poo.

I had some frog porridge in Singapore that was good, but all the little bones definitely made it more work than it was worth.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Fried frog legs are loving delicious I will fight you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They taste fine, but man... when you bite down into one, it's very obvious that this was a very athletic animal and it feels like it's flexing on you just to show you how buff it used to be compared to your flabby rear end

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My time as professional winemaker is going very well. I just sampled after initial fermentation, and our blaufränkish, reisling, and gewürztraminer are all tasty as they are, even only 10 days after pitching the yeast. Looking forward to the rest of the process and doing our private bottling. It would be really cool if we expanded our vineyard and got a liquor license, because I could see this turning into a full time gig. As it is, wherever I decide to end up full time, I think I'm going to have to get some land and water for vineyards because I'm becoming addicted to grape growing and winemaking.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Man, the French place I work at does crispy frog legs every so often and they're amazing. They marinate them in buttermilk with herbs and peppercorns, then pull them out of there, dredge in flour, then in the fryer. Serve with roasted garlic aioli. God drat I want some.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My time as professional winemaker is going very well. I just sampled after initial fermentation, and our blaufränkish, reisling, and gewürztraminer are all tasty as they are, even only 10 days after pitching the yeast. Looking forward to the rest of the process and doing our private bottling. It would be really cool if we expanded our vineyard and got a liquor license, because I could see this turning into a full time gig. As it is, wherever I decide to end up full time, I think I'm going to have to get some land and water for vineyards because I'm becoming addicted to grape growing and winemaking.

Look into distillation as well so you can make wonderful brandy from any mistakes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

Fried frog legs are loving delicious I will fight you

They are delicious but the bones ruin the entire thing for me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

poop dood posted:

Man, the French place I work at does crispy frog legs every so often and they're amazing. They marinate them in buttermilk with herbs and peppercorns, then pull them out of there, dredge in flour, then in the fryer. Serve with roasted garlic aioli. God drat I want some.

To be fair you could do that to almost anything and it would be delicious.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Man I will fight anyone who fronts on Mothers, ok?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I think frog [legs] taste like fishy chicken, we get frog sometimes when we're in China and I usually nibble on some pieces. Nice with beer if it's the super spicy kind, but otherwise nothing I would fight anyone over.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what's the most recent thing y'all have cooked that has blown your mind?

I was intrigued enough by the recent article in cooks illustrated about korean fried chicken wings (https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/8885-korean-fried-chicken-wings) to give their method a try. I didn't follow their recipe exactly, but somewhere between the rice flour batter and twice frying the wings, ended up with some of the most crispy delicious wings I've ever eaten. like they were sauced to hell and still had an audible crunch when biting in to them. I am still waffling a little and want to recreate the dish, but if I can recreate it, it might be the framework I use for fried chicken going forward.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I was intrigued enough by the recent article in cooks illustrated about korean fried chicken wings (https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/8885-korean-fried-chicken-wings) to give their method a try. I didn't follow their recipe exactly, but somewhere between the rice flour batter and twice frying the wings, ended up with some of the most crispy delicious wings I've ever eaten. like they were sauced to hell and still had an audible crunch when biting in to them. I am still waffling a little and want to recreate the dish, but if I can recreate it, it might be the framework I use for fried chicken going forward.

I made this recently: a vegetarian (actually vegan, I think) General Tso with tofu. I love sweet, sour and spicy and this hit that particular spot really well.
http://minimalistbaker.com/general-tsos-tofu/

This Ottolenghi recipe is also one I tried recently and it's delicious. Not as sweet as it looks.
[url]http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/chickpeas-and-spinach-with-honeyed-sweet-potato-shop[/url

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 11, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mindphlux posted:

That's a pretty good method, for sure. Those are the best chicken wings.

Lately I haven't been able to do nearly as much good cooking as I normally do, since I've been busier than I've ever been in my life - it's normally just a quick stir fry and rice, or maybe some kind of slow braised something served with tortillas and vegetables. What I HAVE done recently, though, that I feel is good accomplishment is that I've gotten really good at this whole winemaking thing. I'll be bottling a few hundred bottles of reisling and some other stuff in a few weeks, and even tasting the stuff mid process it's the best I've ever done, and that's a hell of a good feeling.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Rock on, wiggles.

I haven't done anything amazing lately. I did completely bone out a chicken a'la Jacques Pepin and make it into a ballotine, but that was months ago. Too busy with basic prep and canning the end-of-summer stuff.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

therattle posted:

I made this recently: a vegetarian (actually vegan, I think) General Tso with tofu. I love sweet, sour and spicy and this hit that particular spot really well.
http://minimalistbaker.com/general-tsos-tofu/

Oh man, bookmarked. Reminds me a bit of black pepper tofu (se recipe) which I can finally make again now that I'm reunited with my skillet.

I've been making loads of vege chili and freezing in portions. Want to get back into making hot jams & chutneys too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Huh, neat. I just made chocolate pudding with an avocado. It can be mistaken for actual pudding.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Huh, neat. I just made chocolate pudding with an avocado. It can be mistaken for actual pudding.

Ooh neat, I remember hearing about people doing this. What recipe did you use? Is there anything about it (Taste, consistency, etc) that would tip you off as it not being normal pudding? I really want to give this a shot some time, cause I enjoy both chocolate and avocado, so together must be better!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

syntaxfunction posted:

Ooh neat, I remember hearing about people doing this. What recipe did you use? Is there anything about it (Taste, consistency, etc) that would tip you off as it not being normal pudding? I really want to give this a shot some time, cause I enjoy both chocolate and avocado, so together must be better!

It's just 1 big Florida green avocado, three shakes of cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract, about 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and unsweetened coco powder, and a splash of milk to get it to mix. I also added some peanut butter. The consistency is really nice and smooth and very velvety if a bit loose. More smoothie then pudding. It's got a definite 'someone's trying to hard to be clever with substitutions gently caress you this has vegetables' taste to it, but I bet you could get a kid to eat it with whipped cream. If you grew up eating lovely snak paks of sugar free pudding, it's actually reeeeaaallly similar, except less fake sweetener. The huge green avocado makes a fair bit, i'd say 3-4 servings. I'll try it in the morning to see if it's firmed up or changed much in taste.

Man, thinking back to those snak paks is grossing me out a little. They tasted so not good but we ate them anyway because CHOCOLATE. The Chococado pudding's an upgrade from that.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 15, 2016

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

mindphlux posted:

Nam phrik phiw manaw. If you can even call it cooking. Just a good bit of good-quality Thai shrimp paste, a good pinch of small dried shrimp, lime juice to make a thin paste and the grated peel. Smashed garlic, birdseyes and palm sugar to personal taste. I've been trying to want to try nam phrik for a long while after first coming across it on shesimmers.com and I finally nutted up and man I shoulda done it waaay earlier, because when I took a dab of that ugly, poo poo-looking paste and neatly mixed with my jasmine rice as prescribed my loving brain exploded. I hit that poo poo once a week or so now. I mean, it's raw shrimp paste, your whole body goes "don't you loving dare eat this" and fuckkkkkkk it's good :dukedog:

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 15, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
now that's what I'm talkin about :hchatter:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'm heading to Paso Robles for a couple of days next month. Any particular restaurants I shouldn't miss? Wineries besides Calcareous, Sculpterra, and Opolo I should visit? Good cheese shops, since apparently Central Coast Creamery doesn't have a sales room in their factory?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I went there on my honeymoon and all I remember is Fish Gaucho an their amazing cocktails and varied if slightly overpriced, food. Made an impression on a too high and way too drunk bride, at least. That's gotta be a good endorsement? Also we got a reservation with no effort, and probably could have just wandered in without it, so there's that.

Also Buona Tavola was good, but not worth the price. I'd say nothing was worth the price in PR, but I'm from Houston and spoiled.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 20, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Just started a new job that has me coming to Detroit several times. Suggestions on dining options here?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What actual part of Detroit? Actually downtown or one of the suburbs?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

bartolimu posted:

I'm heading to Paso Robles for a couple of days next month. Any particular restaurants I shouldn't miss? Wineries besides Calcareous, Sculpterra, and Opolo I should visit? Good cheese shops, since apparently Central Coast Creamery doesn't have a sales room in their factory?

Peachy Canyon has a lot of sweet wines and just isn't very serious, but I found it really cute (I also like my sweet wines).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I need some ideas for making low sodium food taste good. I'm getting tired of lemon and I have a few more days of this yet. Help me before I eat an entire pizza and miss weight.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Vinegar?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chemmy posted:

Vinegar?

Yeah it's wearing thin. I've been using various acids to try to give flavour to stuff. Right after I posted I went and shoved a handful of boccocinis into my face. That helped.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommonShore posted:

I need some ideas for making low sodium food taste good. I'm getting tired of lemon and I have a few more days of this yet. Help me before I eat an entire pizza and miss weight.

MSG

(unironically) http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/msg-vs-salt-2990.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good suggestion, but I'm reducing my sodium intake by 95% for the week, so even MSG is too much sodium. poo poo, I had to shelf one brand of frozen peas because it had too much sodium :negative:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommonShore posted:

Good suggestion, but I'm reducing my sodium intake by 95% for the week, so even MSG is too much sodium. poo poo, I had to shelf one brand of frozen peas because it had too much sodium :negative:

that sounds pretty irrational unless you're about to die from an electrolyte imbalance or something, short term binges rarely work as well as a more sustainable long term solution as far as I've read - but best of luck!

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

CommonShore posted:

There was a place a friend brought me a few times where salt wasn't allowed and they would use ground up sesame seeds instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nutritional yeast.