Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Keeby why on earth are you building spirit visage over locket on support? Also frost cannon seems like a weird choice on someone who has as much slow/speed up as karma

hint: the game is a normal

edit: also i needed mana but did not need cdr and that was the only AP/Mana item that did not also give CDR but was also not Rod of Ages late in the game

How Rude fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

stump collector posted:

if we're on the subject of doing one thing to fix the game id be happiest if they permabanned all of my accounts

I just got 33 kills and did 73k damage to champions in a ranked game and lost so I'm with you on this one

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

stealth is bad except when it is on my favourite champion, teemo. mobile stealth is obnoxious to play against in every way in league of legends as there are nowhere near enough tools for dealing with stealth and having to pay pink ward taxes just because someone picked another champion only to have pink wards be the most easily removed wards in the game is a piss off

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Imagine an ivern creating a bush in a line on cool down as a teemo belly crawls one bush unit forward, hidden and unknown.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for the next time URF is around for Ivern bush making fun

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

Imagine an ivern creating a bush in a line on cool down as a teemo belly crawls one bush unit forward, hidden and unknown.

::begins sweating profusely::

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

now this is what the gently caress i am talking about. god drat.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
SKARNER IS loving BUSTED

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
(A 420 base move speed skarner gets double shyrelia'ed through a Jayce gate & goes so fast he shoots from 2012 to 2016 and ults you)

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Luna Was Here posted:

Keeby why do you never create Plays dot Tee Vee clips of OUR games together HMMMM?!???!?!?!??!?!?!?

cus all we do is feed and meme

also re: stealth chat I would greatly appreciate Riot making pink wards less mandatory against stealth champions but also they NEED TO BRING BACK THE PINK WARD TRINKET loving GODDAMN I am sick of not being able to be a full build Support without sacrificing my ability to place pink wards at Baron/Dragon for vision control and it is the most irritating loving thing to be unable to cap my build off with a ZZrot or whatever and instead have a 75 gold item slot sitting there, mocking me

or hell, make a line of support items that exist to hold one charge of pink ward on every back, one for caster-y supports and one for tanky supports and then this problem would be put to rest

How Rude fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 5, 2016

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

redesigning stealth so it isn't balanced around pink wards makes sense for the same reason qss not removing debuffs does, riot doesn't really want to make the game about buying items to counter certain champions.

that being said im not sure why its okay for qss to remove cc, since a bunch of champions are still "good until someone buys a qss" so actually i think riot is just dumb

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got Aether Wing Kayle from a hextech box, and now I'm torn because I already had Battleborn and don't even play Kayle. But it's not like I'm going to use any of these lovely recolour skins that have otherwise come out of the box, so ... uhm? Any guides on Kayle? Can she still jungle and support?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly, the shimmer should be good enough. If its done as well as in HOTS you'll be able to track a stealthed hero if you are actively looking for them, but subtle enough that you can not notice them if you're in the Laning Zone

It's allowed them to add a lot of fun talents to heroes because it makes stealth less of a binary "SEE = DEAD, NOSEE= YOUDEAD" thing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nietzschean posted:

I just got Aether Wing Kayle from a hextech box, and now I'm torn because I already had Battleborn and don't even play Kayle. But it's not like I'm going to use any of these lovely recolour skins that have otherwise come out of the box, so ... uhm? Any guides on Kayle? Can she still jungle and support?

not viridian kayle, recycle immediately

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Radical posted:

that being said im not sure why its okay for qss to remove cc, since a bunch of champions are still "good until someone buys a qss" so actually i think riot is just dumb

The issue is that Riot as a game developer has gotten progressively better, but League of Legends as a game is still saddled with certain legacy mechanics. The suppression component of Malzahar's ult is considered such a core part of his playstyle that they don't want to remove it, yet it's incredibly unfun to go up against it in lane, so they've settled on QSS as a "gold tax" that you pay instead of racing to a big AP item first. It sucks, but I don't see it being removed until they change certain champs like Malzahar altogether.

Nietzschean posted:

She can still jungle fairly effectively, but she's never really been able to support. Unlike Zyra or Brand, she has almost no inbuilt damage and relies heavily on items, and all the support that she brings is a decent but mana-hungry heal and her invuln.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

SKARNER IS loving BUSTED

Did something in this patch change him?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just checked and somehow I also have Riot Kayle and Diablo 3 Expansion Judgment Kayle. I have no idea how I got those? I guess I'm a Kayle main now? Iron Inquisitor looks good, should maybe pick that up.

Neurolimal posted:

not viridian kayle, recycle immediately

I own Emerald Taric and Marble Malphite :3: (idk if those are just recolours anymore)

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

https://medium.com/@joejedwards/6-20-the-return-of-support-nunu-via-undocumented-changes-6f2efdcf5d56#.2cimozom4

good news goon friends, support Nunu is back

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Aerox posted:

Did something in this patch change him?

all the other junglers got worse

stump collector
May 28, 2007

for only one or two patches probably

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Radical posted:

all the other junglers got worse

Excellent.

Skarner is the only fun jungler so I'm glad I can bring him out again. :colbert:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

The issue is that Riot as a game developer has gotten progressively better, but League of Legends as a game is still saddled with certain legacy mechanics. The suppression component of Malzahar's ult is considered such a core part of his playstyle that they don't want to remove it, yet it's incredibly unfun to go up against it in lane, so they've settled on QSS as a "gold tax" that you pay instead of racing to a big AP item first. It sucks, but I don't see it being removed until they change certain champs like Malzahar altogether.

What determines if something is legitimate "counterplay" or a bullshit "gold tax," in most peoples' eyes? Champions with channeled ults (e.g., Malzahar or Morgana), and any mage facing an AD-heavy lane opponent (e.g., Yasuo or Zed), are pretty much "forced" to build Zhonya's Hourglass even if there were theoretically a better item to build. Is that legitimate, or bullshit? Champions without a get out of poo poo free ability (e.g., dashes, stealth) pretty much have to take Flash when those who have them (e.g., Evelynn or Shyvana) are more free to double-down on offensive summoners. Is this legitimate or bullshit?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Honestly, the shimmer should be good enough. If its done as well as in HOTS you'll be able to track a stealthed hero if you are actively looking for them, but subtle enough that you can not notice them if you're in the Laning Zone

It's allowed them to add a lot of fun talents to heroes because it makes stealth less of a binary "SEE = DEAD, NOSEE= YOUDEAD" thing.

The problem is that even if stealth made you more visible, while stealthed you have 100% dodge and immunity to a bunch of spells. It's part of why people have always hated Deceive- even if you know exactly where Shaco went, he still got a free flash and you can't target him for a couple seconds.

It might be neat if they did that with camouflage, though. You can see Eve's shimmer anywhere you have vision but no minimap icon.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I hope Katarina is one of their bigger projects since she wasn't listed there. She's kinda a mess.

Guessing the big reworks are going to be Kat, Rengar, Talon, Eve and LeBlanc maybe? Kassadin wasn't mentioned at all but he's honestly balanced for the first time in the past 5 years so they should just leave well enough alone.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 5, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Riot is stuck in a kind of awkward middle ground with stealth--Dota has a lot of heroes with long-term stealth, items that give stealth, and frequently gives large stealth bonuses besides (Nyx or Bounty's bonus damage, Weaver running through units at Mach 10), but it's also very deliberate about giving you lots of ways to counter invisibility: wards, dust of appearance, gem, and there's a couple of heroes who have anti-invis worked into their kit. I can't think of a game off the top of my head that just doesn't have stealth, but that would be another approach. Riot wants to have stealth, but doesn't want to devote item space to countering it, so they have to try and make the stealth weak to compensate.

Firebert posted:

I hope Katarina is one of their bigger projects since she wasn't listed there. She's kinda a mess.

She is, along with Rengar, Talon, Leblanc, and... uh... someone else I don't immediately remember.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Nietzschean posted:

What determines if something is legitimate "counterplay" or a bullshit "gold tax," in most peoples' eyes? Champions with channeled ults (e.g., Malzahar or Morgana), and any mage facing an AD-heavy lane opponent (e.g., Yasuo or Zed), are pretty much "forced" to build Zhonya's Hourglass even if there were theoretically a better item to build. Is that legitimate, or bullshit? Champions without a get out of poo poo free ability (e.g., dashes, stealth) pretty much have to take Flash when those who have them (e.g., Evelynn or Shyvana) are more free to double-down on offensive summoners. Is this legitimate or bullshit?

anything i dont like is bullshit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nietzschean posted:

Basically: is a certain item absolutely needed to counter a certain hero, or can you get around them in other ways? If you don't buy a QSS against Malzahar, he's probably just going to take a dump all over you as soon as he hits 6; same thing with Zed (unless you're playing Lissandra/Fizz). You generally want to build Seeker's against a Yasuo, but it's not a strict requirement, because you can cleverly dodge around his attempts to setup his ult and kite him when he's out of your creep line. There's no counter to Malzahar or Zed clicking on you beyond being perpetually out of range or buying a certain item.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Basically: is a certain item absolutely needed to counter a certain hero, or can you get around them in other ways? If you don't buy a QSS against Malzahar, he's probably just going to take a dump all over you as soon as he hits 6; same thing with Zed (unless you're playing Lissandra/Fizz). You generally want to build Seeker's against a Yasuo, but it's not a strict requirement, because you can cleverly dodge around his attempts to setup his ult and kite him when he's out of your creep line. There's no counter to Malzahar or Zed clicking on you beyond being perpetually out of range or buying a certain item.

What if Malzahar and Zed had their ultimates changed to charge-up skillshots?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Nietzschean posted:

Kayle is probably the only champion in the game who can legitimately play every role.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nietzschean posted:

What if Malzahar and Zed had their ultimates changed to charge-up skillshots?

Then you could pretty safely remove QSS from the game, or make the cleanse component the sole purview of Mercurial Scimitar/maybe some kind of AP equivalent. It's not the suppression/Death Mark component so much as the fact that it can be applied with a single click without any real way of avoiding it beyond the aforementioned items.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Nietzschean posted:

Building a zhonya's against zed early as an ap character kind of sucks when you could have built something better but it's still a good item that you probably would have built eventually anyway, but having to build a qss against malz as an ap champ is bullshit because it doesn't build into any ap item and feels bad to have an inventory slot devoted to half an item

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

Guessing the big reworks are going to be Kat, Rengar, Talon, Eve and LeBlanc maybe? Kassadin wasn't mentioned at all but he's honestly balanced for the first time in the past 5 years so they should just leave well enough alone.

Talon, LeBlanc, Rengar, and Kat are confirmed as receiving major updates, but lots of assassins will get minor changes.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Vermain posted:

Basically: is a certain item absolutely needed to counter a certain hero, or can you get around them in other ways? If you don't buy a QSS against Malzahar, he's probably just going to take a dump all over you as soon as he hits 6; same thing with Zed (unless you're playing Lissandra/Fizz). You generally want to build Seeker's against a Yasuo, but it's not a strict requirement, because you can cleverly dodge around his attempts to setup his ult and kite him when he's out of your creep line.

I think you're making a pretty tenuous distinction here, I mean if you wanna say that you don't need an Armguard against Yasuo/Zed because you can dodge all of his poo poo, then you can also say you don't need a QSS against Malzahar because you can outrange him or just sit back and farm.

Also QSS doesn't work against Zed ult anymore

henkman posted:

Building a zhonya's against zed early as an ap character kind of sucks when you could have built something better but it's still a good item that you probably would have built eventually anyway, but having to build a qss against malz as an ap champ is bullshit because it doesn't build into any ap item and feels bad to have an inventory slot devoted to half an item

I agree, this is better reasoning

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

How Rude posted:

cus all we do is feed and meme

what about the game where I carried the poo poo out of you as jungle khazix

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I think you're making a pretty tenuous distinction here, I mean if you wanna say that you don't need an Armguard against Yasuo/Zed because you can dodge all of his poo poo, then you can also say you don't need a QSS against Malzahar because you can outrange him or just sit back and farm.

I don't think it's healthy to have a champion mid who you have to constantly live in perpetual fear of deciding to randomly Flash forwards, click on you, and murk you. It's pretty obvious when Yasuo is setting up for his ult, even if he decides to E -> Flash -> Q to guarantee it (because of the nature of his Q progression). It is absolutely not at all obvious when Malzahar is going to Flash forwards, click on you once, and hit you with all the damage, hence why QSS is an absolutely mandatory buy against him, even for the masters of dodging like Faker.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

It kind of screws over champions who are dependent on vision and auto-attacks, which bums me out a bit.

Maybe if getting hit takes you out of stealth for a moment, it might work?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

stump collector posted:

for only one or two patches probably
it's back

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

I don't think it's healthy to have a champion mid who you have to constantly live in perpetual fear of deciding to randomly Flash forwards, click on you, and murk you. It's pretty obvious when Yasuo is setting up for his ult, even if he decides to E -> Flash -> Q to guarantee it (because of the nature of his Q progression). It is absolutely not at all obvious when Malzahar is going to Flash forwards, click on you once, and hit you with all the damage, hence why QSS is an absolutely mandatory buy against him, even for the masters of dodging like Faker.

What if Yasuo decides to Flash -> E -> Q you? Personally I think he's one of the most unfun champion to play against, and a clear example of both the mobility creep making this game less and less fun to play and Riot's record with balancing resourceless champions (it's not very good). Also, Malzahar flash ulting kinda doesn't do poo poo now unless he a) gets a gank b) manages to set up a good voidling.

Nietzschean posted:

I just checked and somehow I also have Riot Kayle and Diablo 3 Expansion Judgment Kayle. I have no idea how I got those? I guess I'm a Kayle main now? Iron Inquisitor looks good, should maybe pick that up.

I own Emerald Taric and Marble Malphite :3: (idk if those are just recolours anymore)

You got Judgement kayle for not getting banned in I think third or fourth season (...or maybe it was second?) and Riot gave everyone Riot Kayle on their last birthday. Also, I think Kayle's best off sticking to top, there's some matchups where your lane opponent really can't do anything at all.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Don't play support Willump. Don't support with a literal do-nothing skill as a melee champ at level one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Suppression straight up does not belong in this game, especially when activated from range. It makes playing against Warwick and Malzahar completely binary, especially if there is layering cc available. Also it being a unique form of hard CC that cleanse does not work against is absolutely awful counterintuitive design for new players.

• Locked thread