Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Reaction, much? Not everyone likes the same things, and I'm offering a different opinion based on owning one as I hoped it would be a great addition to my kit.

As for model number, it was something-555 but I'm aware the UK and US model numbers differ anyway. It was about $100 or so.

That's not even close to what I'm talking about, though. You're offering bad advice and unrelated anecdotes on products that are unrelated to what is mentioned.

The Harmony Smart Hub is a completely different platform and very easy to use.

Companies make Different Products and some are Good and some are Bad. If you're going to offer up a different opinion just try, maybe, to have it be based on what is being recommended. Not just a brand name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Then I apologize, but you don't need to be so condescending about it. If it's completely free of Logitech software then hopefully it garners a different result.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
In my mind the big benefit of the Smart Hub over the others is that the base station / IR emitters are stationary and I can hold the remote like a jackass and it still works. The Smart Remote is also a very nice form factor. There's a small benefit in being able to use my iPad as a remote instead of reaching the whole way over to the coffee table to grab the remote.

The Harmony software has improved over the years, in the sense that I don't want to tear my hair out ever time I have to change something. The iOS version seems to at least reliably connect (and work), even if it's slow and the interface is balls.

tk fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 5, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The smart hub software is great when adding new devices. Change your tv? Just add the tv as a device and rerun the activities that use the tv, only changing the tv part of it. Everything else you have setup about it remains the same. It takes about 5 minutes to get all activities updated and useful with the new equipment.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One thing I don't get about the current crop of harmony remotes is the non-LCD model seems dumb. The volume control is in a weird place and although it says it controls 8 devices there's exactly 3 activity buttons on the remote with six "smart home" controls underneath. Who has wifi light bulbs and home automation but only has 3 sources? I know you can remap all the buttons but "press the slightly larger light bulb to turn on the PS4" isn't a great compromise.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 5, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Each activity button is capable of long press. So you have 6 activities you can map to then.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

One thing I don't get about the current crop of harmony remotes is the non-LCD model seems dumb. The volume control is in a weird place and although it says it controls 8 devices there's exactly 3 activity buttons on the remote with six "smart home" controls underneath. Who has wifi light bulbs and home automation but only has 3 sources? I know you can remap all the buttons but "press the slightly larger light bulb to turn on the PS4" isn't a great compromise.

I have the remote without the home automation buttons, so just three activity buttons (short+long press for 6 mapped activities), and none of them are mapped to anything that remotely resembles the on-remote icons. Even so, the benefit is that the remote is small enough that I don't have to move it around in my hand, and I can hit any button on the remote without looking. Even though the buttons don't make any sense, it's not too hard to put together something memorable (left=streaming devices, middle=game consoles, right=tv+music).

I just have guests use their phones and that's easy enough.

Edit: I really can't emphasize enough how much I like the form factor of this guy. Most comfortable remote I have used in ages.

tk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 5, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I got a Harmony remote a long time ago (the one made for the 360) and it was balls and never used it again. Then I tried again this past year with the smart home hub and non-lcd remote and I love it. Like others have said, the software has been completely overhauled and it all works perfectly as advertised.

The only thing I *don't* like about the remove is it's not backlist which is just hilariously dumb.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sellouts posted:

So you're not specifying a model or even a recent experience and yet still making GBS threads all over it?

Cool, got it.

I had an 880 and hated it and thought it was a pile of poo poo. hth

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

scrubs season six posted:

The 880 has nothing in common with the Smart Hubs.

The only things that are like the Smart Hubs in the way they operate and how the software works are the Smart Hubs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

holy poo poo you spent 250 on that hunk of poo poo. rip

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

The Smart Hubs are pretty good, the remotes only real downside is a lack of backlighting and you can use your phone instead if you want even.

The older Harmony remotes were a pisser, particularly the low end models. The button maps had all sorts of problems and they used these weird contact pads that would wear out to force people to upgrade every X years. I hated those loving things.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
You guys don't know the struggle until you try and program this beast:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Thank you for triggering my PTSD

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

beergod posted:

I have a 55" OLED in the living room that owns quite a bit, but I wanted to get something in my office exclusively for: (1) 4K gaming and (2) viewing 4K content on PC or Xbox One.

It would be mounted above my monitor and I don't know how that is going to work for actually playing PC games while sitting at the mouse/keyboard, so I'm thinking more of gaming from my couch but with the ability to play sitting at the desk if a game really calls for it (FPS, etc.). In any event, the viewing distance will be a little bit up, either from the couch or sitting at the keyboard/mouse.

The couch is roughly 8 feet away from where the TV would be mounted. I specifically want HDR and at least 120hz refresh rate (I'm driving PC with a GTX 1080 that I could SLI if necessary, but I realize I'm not going to be getting 120 fps at 4K).

I'm unsure on the size. Does it being utilized as a gaming monitor occasionally change the math on that?

I was looking at this today at Costco., where it was on sale for 599.99: http://www.costco.com/Samsung-50%22-Class-(49.5%22-Diag)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV-UN50KU630DFXZA.product.100296587.html

I was also looking at the Vizio M-series, which is a little bit more expensive.

I don't need it to be very smart (although I realize all TVs are on some level smart tvs now) because it will be hooked up to a PC.

Looking for any recommendations. The room is 11.5 by 11.5.

Can anyone provide a recommendation on this? Much appreciated.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

beergod posted:

Can anyone provide a recommendation on this? Much appreciated.

Vizio is the only company i think right now offering 120hz input and its only at 1080p.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

My boyfriend I and I are looking to purchase a TV for our livingroom, something between 50-60 inches and under 600 dollars. Is 4k viable at that price range or should we stick to 1080? What options do we have? Right now, we keep our TV on a fireplace mantle because that's the only wall in our living room that really works. We'd like to eventually hook it up to a wall mount that allows us to push it forward and lower it a bit so it's closer to eye level. What are our options as far as TVs go? What mount should we look for?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Probably looking at some kind of 1080p in that range. Vizio or LG or Samsung. Might be able to swing a 60" Vizio, probably 55 for the others.

Sounds like you want an articulated mount, if you want to pull it out from wall some. Just make sure one you get matches TV specs in terms of vesa mounting holes and weight allowance.

I would recommend starting out with wall mount. They are cheap and not that hard to install if you've used drywall anchors for anything else before. I haven't mounted anything to brick before, myself.

Edit: brick is a little harder to work on and if fireplace is still being used you can't drill holes in it, just FYI

Dogen fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 8, 2016

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Elderbean posted:

My boyfriend I and I are looking to purchase a TV for our livingroom, something between 50-60 inches and under 600 dollars. Is 4k viable at that price range or should we stick to 1080? What options do we have? Right now, we keep our TV on a fireplace mantle because that's the only wall in our living room that really works. We'd like to eventually hook it up to a wall mount that allows us to push it forward and lower it a bit so it's closer to eye level. What are our options as far as TVs go? What mount should we look for?

Get a new Vizio e series. The 55" should fit your budget and is 4k

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The E series 4K has gotten a lot of lousy reviews though, to the point if 4K is important I would recommend saving up another couple hundred bucks than buy one.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Ah, okay.

What are some other upgrades we can make to our living room? Right now we just have an old LED TV with no external speakers. We wanted to spend about a grand or so between the TV and some speakers. Also, does anyone have experience installing a new outlet, or getting someone else too? The closest outlet to the fireplace is still annoyingly far away and we'd like to minimize visible cables as well.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 8, 2016

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Dogen posted:

not that hard to install if you've used drywall anchors for anything else before. I haven't mounted anything to brick before, myself.

Edit: brick is a little harder to work on and if fireplace is still being used you can't drill holes in it, just FYI

This is bad advice.

Don't hang a TV in drywall without hitting a stud.

The brick/masonry on the living area side of a fireplace is usually just a facade and not part of the flue. Use a masonry bit in a hammer drill. Drill in the brick and not the mortar. L

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Elderbean posted:

Also, does anyone have experience installing a new outlet, or getting someone else too? The closest outlet to the fireplace is still annoyingly far away and we'd like to minimize visible cables as well.

If you don't know what you're doing, definitely get someone else to do this. But for someone experienced it's not a big deal to add an outlet; we had torn down a wall anyway so it was super easy for me, but we added an outlet behind the TV and left a couple of holes for A/V wires to run behind the drywall as well, one behind the equipment cabinet on the floor and one behind the TV. You can do the same for speaker wires if you plan accordingly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Get a better tv for $1000 and buy a soundbar when you can spend another couple hundred. Also yes, if you are going to do electrical wiring hire someone who is licensed.

goku chewbacca posted:

This is bad advice.

Don't hang a TV in drywall without hitting a stud.

The brick/masonry on the living area side of a fireplace is usually just a facade and not part of the flue. Use a masonry bit in a hammer drill. Drill in the brick and not the mortar. L

In terms of drywall I've never had a problem so long as I use non-garbage anchors. I've hung heavier things than an 80 lb TV (and our newer, larger one is only 50 lbs). Stud is better if you can make it work, though.

Fair enough on the brick fireplace, never tried that before so I was just going off what I read.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, the UHD of Pacific Rim on this OLED TV is loving bananas.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I imagine the Hong Kong fight looks pretty spectacular.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

I imagine the Hong Kong fight looks pretty spectacular.

Yup, that's the scene I sampled last night. Even though it's an upscale, the HDR and WCG really do make it worth it and demo material. Light sources just jump out of the screen, all the monsters have glint in their wet textures, and the saturation is a big leap beyond the blu-ray. That said, the 3d version of the movie is insane in its own way on this TV.

I really wish I wasn't colorblind and could see the full differences since my color vision is cut down to 10s of thousands rather than millions. It's still weird how effective WCG has been for me, I can only guess that by increasing the range of colors, it's hitting on more that are unique to me and would otherwise go unused.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

Yup, that's the scene I sampled last night. Even though it's an upscale, the HDR and WCG really do make it worth it and demo material. Light sources just jump out of the screen, all the monsters have glint in their wet textures, and the saturation is a big leap beyond the blu-ray. That said, the 3d version of the movie is insane in its own way on this TV.

I really wish I wasn't colorblind and could see the full differences since my color vision is cut down to 10s of thousands rather than millions. It's still weird how effective WCG has been for me, I can only guess that by increasing the range of colors, it's hitting on more that are unique to me and would otherwise go unused.

Ever tried one of those special glasses for color blind?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Ever tried one of those special glasses for color blind?

They don't really work well for Protanomaly which is the type I have (red deficient).

Got my fingers crossed that the gene therapy that they are working on pans out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I put that on my list to buy for when I get a UHD player, I seriously considered just going on and buying it because it has a VUDU code for the 4K version.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've been going on a UHD buying spree this week since Best Buy is doing a buy 1, get 1 50% off.

Their web form is broken too. It's supposed to do the half off on the cheapest of the two, but it just discounts the last thing you put in your cart. So, if you want to pick up two discs with different prices, it's best to order online for in store pickup or delivery.

This is especially nice with the Hunger Games pre-orders as they are only $19.99 anyways. Paired the first one with Star Trek Beyond pre-order, so $15 off Beyond meant that Hunger Games really is only costing about $5.

Apparently, if you place more than 4 separate orders, you get flagged as a distributor and get your orders suspended. Though, nothing is stopping you from must waking into the store and buying two at a time as many times as you want.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ooh do you know how long that promotion is lasting? I'll probably end up getting an Xbone S when the Battlefield pack comes out on the 18th from my local store...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They didn't put an end date on it as far as I can see, so I would err on the side of caution and assume it's only in place for this week.

I've pretty much exhausted the discs i want to buy. I'm actually having trouble picking a title to pair with Mockingjay PT2.

I wish there were more good movies out on uhd and it's a travesty that there are no horror movies out for October. Hell, I'm sure Warner already did a 4k scan of The Shining, just give it to us already.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I couldn't find anything at all for it. I've bitten the bullet and paid for the Xbox for pickup today, so I'll see if sleep deprivation can convince me to buy some film discs too. There's a fair few films on the format I want to watch at least, but I know they're probably one-hitters for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, one of the ones I've been most impressed with so far is 20 years old, Independence Day. It's just so film-like in its presentation. I also really enjoyed watching Ghostbusters and Labyrinth, film gain and all (and boy does Labyrinth have film grain.)

Newer films look really good as well, but they are all so antiseptic.

Right now, I really really want Blade Runner and ST:II. Oh, throw in hateful 8 while you are at it. 70mm would rock this format. Please release stuff like this rather than poo poo like TMNT2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah early format releases are always massive disappointments. Like I guess I understand that they want to let things settle before doing The Godfather films, but man you always get some absolute stinkers. I've generally heard negative things about ID4 from when it first came out, it's funny how opinions sway.

Trip report from my Best Buy was zero mention of the sale, and the UHD discs mainly in their own section but sometimes in the 'New' section and didn't have that Labyrinth release that came out today anyway so I'll just order online for now. Shame I still don't have anything beyond the LG/similar .TS etc demos to show off truly high bitrate 4K but it's so close. Got Gears of War 4 to see what console HDR is like. Hate that it's a download code though as I don't tend to keep games for long when I 'own' them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Labyrinth came out two weeks ago.

The titles in my store are scattered into at least 3 spots (not counting the new release center store display.) I thought it didn't carry Labyrinth either, but I was looking in the wrong spot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh weird, something made me think it was today. There's that sleep deprivation again. I could've even sworn it said the store had it online, but i didn't want to drag the whole process on even longer as my wife works nights and wasn't in the mood to traipse around a store. I don't blame her, really.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What's the most cost effective OLED display? Is it really worth the pricetag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

B6 is the cheapest 2016 4K display.

They are already price competitive in their class. For example, the top Sony models are actually more expensive for the same size.

They aren't perfect displays in so far as there's no such thing, but they expand upon many of the same strengths of plasma and minimize the downsides while providing modern features like 4k and HDR.