Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

You're wrong. There was no actual teeth in the bill that would've given Congress authority over anything. It was pure grandstanding.

The very idea of doing it is really dumb for the reasons I just mentioned. Wanting to politically influence the Fed is really, really dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hillary is more well liked among actual democrats than Sanders, so this is wrong.

Again.

I still can't get over him knowing what will happen for a fact in 2018 if Hillary is elected.

He KNOWS!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hillary is more well liked among actual democrats than Sanders, so this is wrong.

Again.

I said base voters, not democrats in general. Grassroots activists.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The very idea of doing it is really dumb for the reasons I just mentioned. Wanting to politically influence the Fed is really, really dangerous.

Now who's moving the goalposts?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It's very likely that you are right but we KNOW Hillary will not have base enthusiasm in 2018. Bernie might have had it, might not have, depending on how he governed.

You think people may or may not like Bernie as a critical evaluation of how he governs, but people won't like Hillary no matter what.

This says more about you than it says about Hillary or Bernie, friend.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pick posted:

Huma for Supreme Court

Bill for first laddy.

Huma for first lady.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Doctor Butts posted:

He's been polling ahead for a while. I believe Trump has a chance to win Ohio.

Pretty much agreed, but if Ohio is polling Clinton ahead consistently, any chance of Trump winning effectively evaporates. Florida is looking more and more solid for Clinton. Assuming the "eleven standard swing states" (meaning GA and AZ are going to Trump), Trump needs to sweep every one of those if Clinton takes VA, PA, and FL. If Clinton takes CO, NH+NV, WI, NC, MI, /or/ OH, she wins.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

If Dems get 50 seats in the senate (+Kaine), would that be enough to get through all of Hillary's Supreme Court picks? or do they need a super majority?

Rules are a simple majority.

Also:
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/783723188370931712

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

Bernie's "Base" voters didn't even register to be Democrats.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Since when the gently caress are actual democrats not the actual base for democrats?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

My fiance is Chinese and holy gently caress this set her off. It's so insanely racist and offensive that I cannot wrap my mind around how anyone could say otherwise. :psyduck:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

Now who's moving the goalposts?

I am not? I said that auditing the fed which at its core is a move to make the fed politically influenced is one of the dumbest ideas of the tea party.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Pakled posted:

Supreme Court appointments are by majority, not supermajority. Even a 50/50 split means we're getting a liberal justice.
Almost every vote by the Senate is a simple majority. It is the parliamentary procedures to get to the vote in the first place that can require a supermajority to power through.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

If Dems get 50 seats in the senate (+Kaine), would that be enough to get through all of Hillary's Supreme Court picks? or do they need a super majority?

only if she nominates hurricane matthew, it's going to destroy a lot but the damage will probably hit poor people the hardest so the republican senate should love that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lemming posted:

You think people may or may not like Bernie as a critical evaluation of how he governs, but people won't like Hillary no matter what.

This says more about you than it says about Hillary or Bernie, friend.

No, I didn't say that at all. I said she wouldn't be able to drive out base turnout, not that they wouldn't like her. Obama wasn't able to and the base loves him.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
For once I agree with Yglesias. There have been countless stories dissecting the median Trump voter as the 'symbol of the political phenomenon of our times,' but you don't see the same of the median Hillary voter. Mainly because Hillary voters would make for a fairly boring story and no one would read it. Distressed whites hooked on pills in the rural Midwest and believing Daddy Trump will make things great again is grist for a more compelling read. Similar trend with Bernie: youth phenomenon and that whole thing was new and surprising; where Hillary is neither.

But she won the nomination by a pretty solid margin! Most likely, she will win the general election and become president. The bulk of the population is not angry but docile and would prefer a president who will keep the banks afloat (and thus their checking accounts) and not cause any major disruptions. So like the Beidermeier period in Germany, when people turned inwards and focused on refining simple, utilitarian interior decorating styles. We even have IKEA for that now.

It all catastrophically imploded in 1848, so we might be headed for a big kablooey. But I don't think we're there yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am not? I said that auditing the fed which at its core is a move to make the fed politically influenced is one of the dumbest ideas of the tea party.

And I'm saying that you are very dumb for equating this kind of show vote that is just political grandstanding to things like ending SSI or Medicare, National Right to Work or any number of other professed things the Tea Party wanted to do.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

In a world where Bernie Sanders could win the presidency, he could keep his voters more mobilized than what we know is going to happen when Hillary wins. She's going to take office already being underwater with most of the democratic base and that isnt a great way to win midterms. But keep laughing because it's so funny.
holy poo poo you're stupid

Obama had fantastic young people outreach, what happened in 2010?

You're completely unable to separate how much you like Bernie from what would happen if he were the nominee, it's literally amazing

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

And I'm saying that you are very dumb for equating this kind of show vote that is just political grandstanding to things like ending SSI or Medicare, National Right to Work or any number of other professed things the Tea Party wanted to do.

I see you don't understand the importance of an independent central bank (or how telling voters that it needs to be politically controlled is bad.) Thanks for playing.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

On Terra Firma posted:

My fiance is Chinese and holy gently caress this set her off. It's so insanely racist and offensive that I cannot wrap my mind around how anyone could say otherwise. :psyduck:

Jesse Watters is a piece of poo poo, plain and simple. I'd call him a prick to his face if I ever saw him.

Cue the usual groans, but Olbermann did a great bit (that I can't find, naturally) on Watters back when he had a show of his own and not a feature on GQ's YouTube channel :smith:

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/MonicaCrowley/status/651043858541879296

uhhhh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I see you don't understand the importance of an independent central bank (or how telling voters that it needs to be politically controlled is bad.) Thanks for playing.

I see you can't read that piece of legislation since it did nothing to actually undermine the FED any more than the political rhetoric around it the last 6 years has. The bill had literally nothing to it whatsoever.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Unironically, this person should be strung up

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

No, I didn't say that at all. I said she wouldn't be able to drive out base turnout, not that they wouldn't like her. Obama wasn't able to and the base loves him.

In just the house Democrats fell off by about 2.5 million votes from 2006 in 2010.

Republicans gained over 9 million votes from 2006 to 2010.

That's way less of an issue with the democratic base not turning out (although young people that were enthusiastic for Obama left him at the alter in 2010) than it is for republicans being wiped into a frenzy over their hatred of Obama.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

A Winner is Jew posted:

In just the house Democrats fell off by about 2.5 million votes from 2006 in 2010.

Republicans gained over 9 million votes from 2006 to 2010.

That's way less of an issue with the democratic base not turning out than it is for republicans being wiped into a frenzy over their hatred of Obama.

And their hatred of Hillary will have the same effect in 2018 and there won't be democratic turnout to counteract it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

:ughh:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

mcmagic posted:

You can personally attack me if you want but I don't see any one else defending his dumb statement.

Isn't cheerleading still against the rules?

You're wrong, by the way: letting this congress anywhere near the Fed is about as safe as hosting an arsonists convention in an active flour mill.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

On Terra Firma posted:

Alright, after reading this I finally took the bait and clicked play and yeah it's pretty racist. Of course, I'm not Asian so I don't take personal offense to it, but as a video editor I at least hated the vignette and editing. All I've ever seen of the O'reilly factor were clips of Bill spewing ignorance and hate though. I wasn't aware they also did these horrible on the street pieces.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

And their hatred of Hillary will have the same effect in 2018 and there won't be democratic turnout to counteract it.

Hows that republican hatred of hillary working out for her right now?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mcmagic posted:

I see you can't read that piece of legislation since it did nothing to actually undermine the FED any more than the political rhetoric around it the last 6 years has. The bill had literally nothing to it whatsoever.

This is the equivalent of going "I'm not touching you" while hovering your hand 2mm in front of someone's face.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

I almost posted this dumb thing before you did because I knew it was your response

You're right, Bernie Sanders, who would not be on the ticket in 2018, would somehow magically inspire so much love that Democrats would have come out in record numbers to vote for people who weren't him.

You don't live in reality

edit: Seriously, what's the connection? Would they be inspired by his complete inability to get anything passed during his first two years? Would anti-semites cease to exist?

If I grant you your (dumb) point about Sanders mobilizing people this year - in what way does that translate to them being mobilized in 2018?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hows that republican hatred of hillary working out for her right now?

The beauty of general elections vs midterms?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If you're a leftist disappointed in Clinton you should be working to either 1) help with close Congressional and Senate races so that she doesn't have the opportunity to make ugly compromises with a GOP congress, 2) engage in direct action on behalf of a non-electoral pressure group like Black Lives Matter, Planned Parenthood, anti-war groups, etc, 3) unionize your workplace and those of others or 4) (editor's note: this is the best one that will help the US Left the most) shitpost about Bernie Sanders in USPol for days and days so we get to read Bi Now Gay Later, fishmech, and computer parts make the same posts they've been making for the past literal year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

So you are in fact admitting that 2018 would be a repeat of 2010 even with Bernie.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
The whole audit the fed thing is kind of opaque because by now there have been so many different versions and amendments that it's hard to keep track. Generally speaking, auditing the fed is dumb but not necessarily damaging, but Audit the Fed (the bill) is super idiotic and every bit as bad as Bi Now Gay Later said. Originally the push for an audit came up because during the financial crisis it became clear that nobody had any real idea what was on the Fed's balance sheets. An audit would solve that, and... not do much besides. Then it became a bill (H.R. 24) which moved away from an inspection of the Fed's balance sheets to this:

quote:

The intent of this legislation is to allow Congress
to make informed decisions about the Federal Reserve's use of
the powers delegated to it by lawmakers by increasing the
transparency and accountability of the Federal Reserve to
Congress.

The keyword here is "accountability". H.R. 24 as proposed, with all the amendments (almost all, because this poo poo gets complicated once you look at all the proposed amendments) is super dangerous and would effectively put the fed unter political control. That's something you don't want to happen. The reasoning given in the house report on the bill is also full of misunderstandings of what it is the fed actually is supposed to do, which doesn't make this any better. An audit, in a vacuum, would not be a terrible thing. (It also wouldn't do much.) But the political effort known as Audit The Fed is idiotic and dangerous.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

The basic premise of the bill is really loving dumb. At it's heart its literally questioning one of the key underpinnings for how the central bank and the economy works. It doesn't matter if it had "literally nothing to it." At it's very core it's a tremendously terrible idea and it's the kind of absolutely dumb poo poo that leads to government shutdowns over the loving debt ceiling. It's an incredibly dumb idea, like really loving dumb and it's part of a course of political thought that has been incredibly destructive to the nation. And guess who went along with it -- your boy, Alan Grayson.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This entire thread knows that midterms tend to be awful for Democrats, and I can't imagine that that knowledge is limited to this thread only.

So why are they still consistently awful?

Does the DNC just not try hard enough?
Do their GOTV and campaigning strategies just not work?
Is congressional gerrymandering just that bad?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

computer parts posted:

So you are in fact admitting that 2018 would be a repeat of 2010 even with Bernie.

That is very likely. I think it's less likely with Bernie but we will never know.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

The beauty of general elections vs midterms?

You mean the exact same issue that Sanders would have... except not because your magical fantasy land where Sanders wouldn't face massive opposition in the midterms from republicans since he's the sitting president is a loving magical fantasy land?

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 5, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

If you're a leftist disappointed in Clinton you should be working to either 1) help with close Congressional and Senate races so that she doesn't have the opportunity to make ugly compromises with a GOP congress, 2) engage in direct action on behalf of a non-electoral pressure group like Black Lives Matter, Planned Parenthood, anti-war groups, etc, 3) unionize your workplace and those of others or 4) (editor's note: this is the best one that will help the US Left the most) shitpost about Bernie Sanders in USPol for days and days so we get to read Bi Now Gay Later, fishmech, and computer parts make the same posts they've been making for the past literal year.

Hey, I am willing to talk about other issues.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 5, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

This entire thread knows that midterms tend to be awful for Democrats, and I can't imagine that that knowledge is limited to this thread only.

So why are they still consistently awful?

Old people vote in every election, young people only care about presidential elections.

That's basically the whole story. I bet a depressing amount of younger voters don't realize we have midterm elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Another Booz Allen Hamilton contractor (the company that Snowden worked for) got busted for stealing top secret documents from the NSA.

• Locked thread