Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Quick question about the Yamato: I'm aware of the really annoying things BBs do (such as going on holiday in some island corner of the map and trying to merge into some sort of super-blob) but at the same time I'm having a lot of trouble playing the Yamato as an offensive ship. Most of the time I just end up at the front getting torpedoed. Any tips from folks about how to play it in a way that contributes to the team without being suicidal?

Tbh I think this is one of the hardest things to learn as a BB, knowing when to push. Its so hard to disengage that you can end up treading a fine line between being overly cautious, and pushing too far and getting isolated. Keep your eyes on the minimap at all times and between every salvo check which direction the rest of your team is pointing. And beware reversing BBs leaving you alone.

Its hard to get a co-operative DD in normal play so I would say the key is to stick with another BB that looks like it wants to push. In my last game in Yamato I spawned right beside another one NW on Hotpsot and the two of us basically sailed full speed south then east on that map and dominated. There's nothing to make an enemy line cave quite like the sight of two Yamatos bearing down at full speed. I didn't even get any kills but no question the two of us carried that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Is the Montana any good at all? I just keep seeing lots of hate for it, so it makes me wonder if the American BB line past North Carolina is worth pursuing at all.

Edit

Annoying DD players in ranked are annoying. Playing ranked last night I was on a team that was playing on the map where each team pretty much spots each other right after countdown. Each side had 3 destroyers.

The red teams destroyers were smart and laid down smoke immediately for their heavy ships. Not a single one of our 3 destroyers laid smoke the entire match, and, in fact hid behind the battleships spamming HE from the get go.

Needless to say, that was a one sided match not in our favor.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 5, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Is the Montana any good at all? I just keep seeing lots of hate for it, so it makes me wonder if the American BB line past North Carolina is worth pursuing at all.

Its definately the third best T10 BB but I still enjoy playing it (I don't have the G.Kurfest). Its faster than Yamato and its turret traverse is enough to allow it to mount the reload module so it fires 12 16" shells every 26secs - not bad. IMO it does fine except when dueling other angled BBs in isolation, thats where the Yamato really shines. But in general play vs unaware BBs, or cruisers, I think the Montana does just as good if not better. Also if CVs ever make an upsurge, the Montana's AA will become a factor.

I also run a stealth build on Monty and its detection is something like 12.5km which can be funny.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

kaesarsosei posted:

Its definately the third best T10 BB but I still enjoy playing it (I don't have the G.Kurfest). Its faster than Yamato and its turret traverse is enough to allow it to mount the reload module so it fires 12 16" shells every 26secs - not bad. IMO it does fine except when dueling other angled BBs in isolation, thats where the Yamato really shines. But in general play vs unaware BBs, or cruisers, I think the Montana does just as good if not better. Also if CVs ever make an upsurge, the Montana's AA will become a factor.

I also run a stealth build on Monty and its detection is something like 12.5km which can be funny.

A stealth battleship build? Madness. How does that even work?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Cobbsprite posted:

A stealth battleship build? Madness. How does that even work?

I'd assume by allowing you to line up a free broadside before a brawl begins and start out 20k+ HP ahead. I'm looking forward to the NC and 11.3k detection!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'd assume by allowing you to line up a free broadside before a brawl begins and start out 20k+ HP ahead. I'm looking forward to the NC and 11.3k detection!

I don't have a 15 point captain yet, but even the 14km detection with just the module is pretty useful. Although I'm stoked for the 11.3k detection too.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

AfroSquirrel posted:

Another bonus is that if you are still at long range, you can disengage and let your detection drop back down and become invisible again like you can with a gunboat DD's and some CA's. So if you are getting too much attention you can stop it like you can by hugging an island.

See BB's will replace DD's in time!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
God save me from stupid pubbies. Standard battle, both teams are attempting the cap. They have been capping for longer but the ships we have in the cap are not getting fired upon while theirs are. It's neck-and-neck, and a few good shots means we pull ahead. We're gonna win lads!

loving Arizona leaves the cap circle :ughh:

Pubbies: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory :negative:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MadJackMcJack posted:

God save me from stupid pubbies. Standard battle, both teams are attempting the cap. They have been capping for longer but the ships we have in the cap are not getting fired upon while theirs are. It's neck-and-neck, and a few good shots means we pull ahead. We're gonna win lads!

loving Arizona leaves the cap circle :ughh:

Pubbies: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory :negative:

:byodood: NO CAP KILL ALL!

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

El Disco posted:

:byodood: NO CAP KILL ALL!

loving WoT flashbacks here.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How does one spec out a NC captain? I've almost got enough points to get my first five point skill. I'm thinking of speccing the NC for AA and using the aa module but I'm not sure. Is the stealth build worth it or should I go with the rangefinder mod instead and get preventive maintenance?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Did they do some stealth tweaks to new orleans guns lately? I was playing earlier and the dispersion and shell velocity seemed to be different.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

How does one spec out a NC captain? I've almost got enough points to get my first five point skill. I'm thinking of speccing the NC for AA and using the aa module but I'm not sure. Is the stealth build worth it or should I go with the rangefinder mod instead and get preventive maintenance?

NC can work very well with a stealth build. Also if you go for AFT and the AA range mod your AA rating gets close to 100 and you become practically immune to all CVs up to T9. An Essex can still hurt you but they will lose 75% of their planes.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Leningrad is out on the Euro servers, and i bought it. Base stats has it doing 43 knots, 7.3 km concealment, 8km torps and 5x1 130mm guns with 5 sec reload and 27.7 turn rate. With a captain with BFT, EM and CE, you get 6.6 concealment, 4.5 reload and 20 sec turn rate. Oh also i haven't tried ruddershift mod yet, the store bundle sold it with the -50% engine startup module instead of rudder shift, but its 3.7 seconds for the shift and 690 meter radius.

It feels like an Anshan on PCP. Not quite the Kiev, but really holds out well and can punch up pretty decently. (yeah i didn't pre-order, so no gremaschy for me :saddowns:)

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I need some Lo Yang advice for Ranked. Never played far in the US DD line and never had a Benson and I feel more comfortable with Russian and Japanese DDs. What are good ways to get max xp and avoid losing stars ?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Just had a match with WARBEASTY. We had an Atago one-v-one at the sun. I think he hit me once.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MoraleHazard posted:

Just had a match with WARBEASTY. We had an Atago one-v-one at the sun. I think he hit me once.

The enemy team was probably thinking "thank god he's not in a carrier".

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

I need some Lo Yang advice for Ranked. Never played far in the US DD line and never had a Benson and I feel more comfortable with Russian and Japanese DDs. What are good ways to get max xp and avoid losing stars ?

If you've played the Farragut, the Lo Yang is similar to that, though you sacrifice your speed boost and instant torpedo dodging ability for hydroacoustic. The minute playstyle changes involve longer ranged torpedoes that you'll have to deal with and in order to make smoke effective, you'll have to drag it out instead of smoking a circle and a half or so in order to maximize effectiveness and minimize torpedo spam into your smoke. Always use hydroacoustic if you're inside the smoke and there is an enemy DD within striking range if just to prevent being torpedoed. However, if you can take the gamble with not using hydroacoustic, you may be able to turn matches right around by negating enemy smoke and removing a destroyer from the game.

You'll want to hug low hills to fire your catapult launchers over or medium-sized ones if you want to sit a good distance away. Never engage in the open against any ship that has hydroacoustic or radar. Abuse islands to the best of your capability, if you must reveal yourself, make sure that you can escape within ~5 seconds. US DD shell arcs take a lot of getting used to and you'll often find yourself having a hard time hitting targets beyond 8km before you acclimate. Until you're sure of accuracy, my suggestion is to start walking shots with your absurd rate of fire to get a feel for the trajectory.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

wdarkk posted:

The enemy team was probably thinking "thank god he's not in a carrier".

He also hung back doing nothing for his team the whole match while trash talking my team and his team.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MoraleHazard posted:

He also hung back doing nothing for his team the whole match while trash talking my team and his team.

So warships.today claims it can't retrieve his stats, but has 1 day and 7 day stats for him.

Somehow his average kills are negative 0.7?
EDIT: For the 1 and 7 day stats.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 6, 2016

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Ugh. Three ranked losses in a row after burning to 10 easily. I think I need to take a break for a day and stop being aggressive in the face of bad rank 10 people.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hey guys, new armada video advertising the lenningrad. The best part is this spot in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anyyoAxjCI&t=235s

If it doesn't go right to it, check at 3:55. Now pay attention to the skill they are focusing on here and then look what skill they didn't take so they could get it.. yeah, no.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So how's being stuck with 152's for life on the british going to work?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

MoraleHazard posted:

Had a match with him in a CV on my team in ranked. My team was calling for air support and he got all salty and talked poo poo about us for the rest of the match.

He either lost all his planes or stopped helping at all by the end. We still pulled off the win and pretty much due to him inadvertently drawing the enemy team too far forward at a chance to sink a CV.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

So how's being stuck with 152's for life on the british going to work?

Without smoke or HE? Pretty badly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Heartcatch posted:

Without smoke or HE? Pretty badly.

RN cruisers have smoke generators though

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

If this is your first season playing Ranked, can you still get a Flint?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pseudophile posted:

If this is your first season playing Ranked, can you still get a Flint?

No, the Flint is the reward for getting to rank 1 twice, so you need to do it this season, and next season

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I think ive only seen WARBEASTY once or twice. There is an extremely terrible Yamato player who has similar stats that ive seen a couple times.

Now ive heard someone claim that the RN ships only lack HE so they can test the AP shells. Now that actually sounds reasonable, so im guessing Wargaming will instead stick with AP only.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

JuffoWup posted:

Hey guys, new armada video advertising the lenningrad. The best part is this spot in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anyyoAxjCI&t=235s

If it doesn't go right to it, check at 3:55. Now pay attention to the skill they are focusing on here and then look what skill they didn't take so they could get it.. yeah, no.

It's the same on the Gremyaschi.
Those DD need a cruiser captain.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Pssh, I play the IJN DDs like gunboats sometimes and I have no issues with traverse, so if the traverse is similiar to IJN turrets I can deal. You've just got to be mindful at all times of where you're about to turn and where you want your guns to face. The US DDs are much more forgiving in that aspect, though they also need that traverse since they're fighting so close in. The Leningrad looks really, REALLY good. I'm probably going to splurge on one.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I missed the Blys and Grem. Going to get glorious Leningrad for sure.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Thronde posted:

Yeah, I missed the Blys and Grem. Going to get glorious Leningrad for sure.

I thought the Blys was in the tech tree? Or am I going crazy?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm waiting to see what the next tier 8 premium is, since Belfast is a 7 and Perth is only going to be a 6, and I'm betting KGV will be a tier 7 as well. Canberra in the commonwealth section, maybe.

Hazdoc posted:

I thought the Blys was in the tech tree? Or am I going crazy?

Blys is unavailable. With the extended tree mod you can see it, but it says "This can only be purchased in the premium shop", which is the default return for any premium you can't buy with doubloons, whether they're in the cash shop or not.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 6, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Goon division is best division.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

RN cruisers have smoke generators though

Do they? I thought smokescreen was removed from them a few iterations back. Quite pleased if they have them still/again.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Heartcatch posted:

Do they? I thought smokescreen was removed from them a few iterations back. Quite pleased if they have them still/again.

I don't exactly follow the testing, I wasn't aware they'd been removed.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
They took smoke and HE away from all except the Premium Belfast IIRC (and maybe the T5 keeps HE). This is good because there is too much smoke in the game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well they have to have something going for them if they're to replace Russian DDs as the CL of choice at high tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Krogort posted:

It's the same on the Gremyaschi.
Those DD need a cruiser captain.

No no. I agree on needimg expert marksmsn. I can't agree on sacrificing last stand for it though.