Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I was going to say that these days there's actually factions within disability groups that would see a disabled character going on adventures due to cool cyber implants and poo poo as an attack on their unique culture and abilities. They're not disabled they're just different, maybe even better than you, normie. Are you trying to say being deaf is a disability? Are you trying to say it's an inferior culture you want to genocide with implants and forced education at schools with people who can hear?

My girlfriend believes this and she's not even deaf, it's wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
"Disabled people aren't just broken people and can have culture that's worth recognising" isn't exactly an outrageous claim.

There is an identification factor - if the disabled person doesn't actually have the disability then that's hardly someone you can identify with. For a non-disability example, it'd be like saying it's ok for all the characters in sci fi to be men because gender changing is easy in the future

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Disabled people aren't just broken people and can have culture that's worth recognising" isn't exactly an outrageous claim.

There is an identification factor - if the disabled person doesn't actually have the disability then that's hardly someone you can identify with. For a non-disability example, it'd be like saying it's ok for all the characters in sci fi to be men because gender changing is easy in the future

Counterpoint: humans were actually intended by nature to hear and see, not necessarily to all have penises.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It sounds like the argument here is that people like Geordi with assistive technology would help de-stigmatize using assistive technology. I don't see how it could hurt! Though boy, this makes that dude who was in the beepy wheelchair in TOS awkward. Or did he have some kind of sophisticated space curse?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

O'Brien's face does resemble a potato though.

But did the potato make him that way, or did the Irish make the spud in their image? Makes u think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There are groups, specially capital D Deaf Culture that sees assistive technology akin to cultural genocide. It's not a disability to them, it's more like a culture or race and anyone who gets a "cure" or assistance is a race traitor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Jadzia is fine. If she seems weak, it's only because the rest of the cast is so strong.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I didn't really consider the culture angle, but I'm sure that will also change with easier and cheaper access to tech. If anything, providing the means to supplement the senses one is born with using tech should be less presumptuous than genetic manipulation in the womb.

But also, I'm thinking of the disorders that presently require round-the-clock medical care being so easily met with technological solutions that they could command a spacefaring vessel. That would be pretty inspiring, especially if it doesn't erase the original malady completely, but makes it a minor functional hurdle.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Met posted:

I think Jadzia is fine. If she seems weak, it's only because the rest of the cast is so strong.

I liked her. She wasn't super exciting, but it was cool to have a chill, competent, no-nonsense woman hanging around, and while they maybe could have done more with the Trill concept I always thought it was super cool.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

showbiz_liz posted:

I liked her. She wasn't super exciting, but it was cool to have a chill, competent, no-nonsense woman hanging around, and while they maybe could have done more with the Trill concept I always thought it was super cool.
That was really the "problem" with Jadzia, in that they came up with a cool concept (or rather adapted it from TNG) that ultimately didn't really offer that many story opportunities. Yes, she's really a wise old being in a young body - okay, and...? She was a perfectly decent character in herself, but DS9 had three much stronger 'outsider' characters in Kira, Odo and Quark (and Garak, and Rom, and Nog, and...)

VOY had the same issue with Kes [ha! My iPhone autocorrected her name to AIDS :wtc: ] and Neelix. What did they bring to the table for story opportunities that any of the human/Starfleet characters couldn't?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Payndz posted:

VOY had the same issue with Kes [ha! My iPhone autocorrected her name to AIDS :wtc: ] and Neelix. What did they bring to the table for story opportunities that any of the human/Starfleet characters couldn't?

The opportunity for a starfleet member to bang a three-year old?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jadzia's was at her best in the wedding episode because she was an arrogant know-it-all too obsessed with her own superiority to tone it down just a bit for someone she didn't consider an authority she had to answer to.

She should have done more of that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, Jadzia was boring as gently caress because she was "perfect". Really her ego and the whole "I'm super old and wise but also a vivacious and inconsistently impulsive 20-something" didn't really lead to any interesting storylines. If she was erased from the show, it wouldn't have suffered. Meanwhile erasing a 2nd tier character like Rom or Garrak would have really hurt the show. She wasn't terrible, but she didn't add anything and that's the worst thing you can say about someone on a show where everyone was interesting in some way.

Short dax at least had flaws, you got to see what someone who hasn't trained their whole life to handle getting generations of memories does with being joined. At the same time also being held up to previous dax's standards and feelings of not being worthy. I only wish she had an extra season or two to actually develop.

I do like that in ds9 they totally re-wrote the trill to be more like an external backup hard drive rather than just a loving goa'uld parasite that destroys the host. You're still you but now you suddenly remember a bunch of other life times as if they were your own memories, which means you aren't you really anymore.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Jadzia could have been a perfectly fine character if they had any ideas about what her character conflicts would be, or if the actress had been more than intermittently convincing. Her main gimmick of having past lives as an alien slug is only relevant to two or three episodes and it's no coincidence that they're the more memorable ones centered on her. She doesn't really look comfortable with her material most of the time until her relationship with Worf develops. Ezri is a better character concept because there's conflict built into the character. She wasn't ready to take the symbiont and didn't even really want it, she just had to and now she has to deal with it. The execution isn't great, but the idea is there. With Jadzia it wasn't there to begin with. There's the potential for an idea about how whether Sisko's friendship with Curzon really carries over to Jadzia, what it means to be possessed by an alien slug at all, and how you can possibly maintain your identity in the situation that a joined Trill is in -- but none of that potential is ever explored until Ezri shows up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Turns out "I'm your best bro from years ago but I'm also a sexy lady" isn't such a great character after all.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Brawnfire posted:

Good thing you're not a screenwriter, I guess?

Are you seriously saying that Star Trek: A Bouquet of Diagnosed but Treatable Mental Illnesses isn't a totally poo poo premise for a tv show?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

then Space Pirate Sisko jumps in to the scene and totally hams it up. It's great.

oh you sweet summer child you have no idea

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Counterpoint: humans were actually intended by nature to hear and see, not necessarily to all have penises.

Nothing was intended by nature.

And, more fundamentally, you're missing the point. It wasn't to draw an equivalence between having a disability and being a women (explicitly not, in fact). The point is that having a disabled character, a gay character, a female character, a black character on a programme (or as an option in an RPG, say) is very powerful, symbolically; it tells people that "Yes, it's ok to be like you are!" (and there's been a lot of writing on this topic, unsurprisingly).

Having a character who would be just like you but actually he's been fixed to be "normal" which is why he can go on adventures does pretty much the opposite. Yes, there's a discussion to be had about normalising things like hearing aids but this is a complex issue with no one-size-fits-all solution.

Nessus posted:

But did the potato make him that way, or did the Irish make the spud in their image? Makes u think.

Oh cool we're back to the ironic racism

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nothing was intended by nature.

And, more fundamentally, you're missing the point. It wasn't to draw an equivalence between having a disability and being a women (explicitly not, in fact). The point is that having a disabled character, a gay character, a female character, a black character on a programme (or as an option in an RPG, say) is very powerful, symbolically; it tells people that "Yes, it's ok to be like you are!" (and there's been a lot of writing on this topic, unsurprisingly).

Having a character who would be just like you but actually he's been fixed to be "normal" which is why he can go on adventures does pretty much the opposite. Yes, there's a discussion to be had about normalising things like hearing aids but this is a complex issue with no one-size-fits-all solution.

Aren't there literally some episodes dealing with this exact thing? Particularly the "How dare you suggest so-and-so be fixed? He's fine the way he is!" thing, if not the "Maybe people would actually choose to be disabled in such-and-such way" thing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Data Graham posted:

Aren't there literally some episodes dealing with this exact thing? Particularly the "How dare you suggest so-and-so be fixed? He's fine the way he is!" thing, if not the "Maybe people would actually choose to be disabled in such-and-such way" thing.

DS9 Melora comes to mind. And it was actually written by a wheelchair-bound man, but he didn't like how it turned out after some rewrites.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I was going to say that these days there's actually factions within disability groups that would see a disabled character going on adventures due to cool cyber implants and poo poo as an attack on their unique culture and abilities. They're not disabled they're just different, maybe even better than you, normie. Are you trying to say being deaf is a disability? Are you trying to say it's an inferior culture you want to genocide with implants and forced education at schools with people who can hear?

I think TNG should be given some credit when Geordi rejected being healed of blindness when Riker got Q powers. Of course, Braga and Berman poo poo all over that in the movies...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Finster Dexter posted:

I think TNG should be given some credit when Geordi rejected being healed of blindness when Riker got Q powers. Of course, Braga and Berman poo poo all over that in the movies...

I think that was less "there's nothing wrong with my eyes" and more "gently caress you Q, none of us will be bribed"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Geordi never really gets normied though since even after the implants in the movies he has the crazy infra vision

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Are you seriously saying that Star Trek: A Bouquet of Diagnosed but Treatable Mental Illnesses isn't a totally poo poo premise for a tv show?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I guess if you wrote it boring and lovely, which you seem dead set on. I think that's kind of a weird decision based upon character pitches alone, but that's why I suggested you'd be a bit lacking as a screenwriter.

I don't see how it's so much different from Geordi. Most of the time, he's a normal guy with an aptitude for engineering. Sometimes his VISOR is a strength. Sometimes his blindess is a detriment.

See, when I think of it, I think of a paraplegic captain who spent half his life confined to a wheelchair. Now he has a chance to prove himself.

I see an astrophysicist who thought they'd only ever see the stars through a telescope in a hospital window, traversing distant stars.

I see situations in which their disabilities become strengths, or weaknesses. Most of the time, though, it's as important as Uhura being black.

I don't remember being bored by exploring any of the other characters' motivations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Might make a good episode to have the crew stranded somewhere for a good while and by the way one of your favourite totally normal seeming characters has a serious mental illness which is perfectly manageable with some future medication, but now they've run out and it really sucks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Might make a good episode to have the crew stranded somewhere for a good while and by the way one of your favourite totally normal seeming characters has a serious mental illness which is perfectly manageable with some future medication, but now they've run out and it really sucks.
Not the worst idea as long as they don't make it some kind of bullshit "oh, sociopaths/psychopaths/whateverpaths are actually some kind of alluring superbeing" situation, which unfortunately is what I'd expect television to do.

Do you think it'd be better or worse if it was an alien character? I mean with an alien you can do whatever, but you can make the indications and demonstrated behavior match up to whatever you'd like.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baronjutter posted:

It would have been cool if they did this in DS9 after O'Brien had to start taking space antidepressants to keep him even after he got mind-imprisoned. I don't think they ever mentioned that again after the episode where it happened.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm still only in season 5 and it sounds like Ezri was the better character, but why did Jadzia's actress leave the show anyway?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

nerdman42 posted:

I'm still only in season 5 and it sounds like Ezri was the better character, but why did Jadzia's actress leave the show anyway?

I think for Becker.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think everyone was on a 6 year contract and she had the chance to start a brand new show, an opportunity she'd have missed if she stayed on for 1 more season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Finster Dexter posted:

Geordi got the ocular implants in First Contact because LeVar Burton absolutely hated wearing the VISOR prop (despite it being redesigned a few times, he still had almost no vision while wearing it and was constantly bumping into things).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also it was literally held in place by screws and gave him headaches

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Tunicate posted:

Also it was literally held in place by screws and gave him headaches

No screws. It had a thin wire to hold them on like glasses. Looking out of that thing is probably what gave him headaches.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It was an elastic band early on, but it was for a while screwed to his forehead and gave him terrible headaches.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

First season wasn't screwed, after that it was

quote:

"It’s pretty much a living hell... 85 to 90% of my vision is taken away when the VISOR goes on... I bumped into everything the first season–Light stands, overhead microphones, cables at my feet–I tripped over it all... So it’s a sort of conundrum – the blind man, who puts on the VISOR and sees much more than everyone else around him, when the actor actually does that he’s turned into a blind person. Then there was the pain. In the second season, we re-designed the VISOR and made it heavier and the way we actually affixed it was that we screwed it, we literally screwed it into my head and so there were screws that we would turn and there were flanges on the inside that would press into my temples and so after fifteen or twenty minutes of that I got headaches. So I had a daily headache for about six years. Which was also no fun."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Y'know, I always thought Geordi seemed a little irritable. Maybe that was just LeVar.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Why not design the loving prop better, Jesus. If you need to, work it into an episode - having Geordi's VISOR get shot up so Data or Crusher have to fab up a replacement that looks somewhat different is like two lines, and you can probably just replace it off-stage.

But if I'm so smart why ain't I a famous TV producer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I remember when Aatrek was so, so, so proud that he scored an interview with some schmuck from Galoob, and rushed here to show us a picture of the scrapped VISOR toy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got a guy who worked in the factory to sign my Data misprint doll.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Timby posted:

I remember when Aatrek was so, so, so proud that he scored an interview with some schmuck from Galoob, and rushed here to show us a picture of the scrapped VISOR toy.

Maybe he got to meet the dude's daughter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Finster Dexter posted:

I had never watched Reading Rainbow, so I grew up only ever seeing LeVar as Geordi. To this day I think he looks a little weird without the VISOR. Part of his face is missing.