Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Please. Please poo poo all over the person who you hired to make you look sane by proximity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
For reference, The Atlantic has only endorsed two other times:

https://twitter.com/YAppelbaum/status/783751531728363520

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Compulsory voting got the Australians a government that puts immigrants in camps.

Also, isn't one of the bigger reasons for low turnout for dems in midterms that more dems are, you know, working their asses off and getting time off and transport is harder for them?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Pretty impressive that they predicted LBJ v Goldwater in 1864

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/783660227530862592?lang=en

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theflyingorc posted:

I've never found the argument compelling that making people who don't care have to make a choice is necessarily better for democracy.

It IS nice that this limits voter suppression as a tactic, though.

Not really, you just fine the people who don't have an ID.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I want to see that timeline, where LBJ and Goldwater go back to 1864 and have a fistfight on top of their time machine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

theflyingorc posted:

Pretty impressive that they predicted LBJ v Goldwater in 1864

It takes a long time to make a dick that big.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

Yes please.

false alarm

https://twitter.com/MattNegrin/status/783753676770963456

it's clear the choice is so-called, not pence. easily can be read as "pence was so obviously the best he wasn't even a choice"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

I want to see that timeline, where LBJ and Goldwater go back to 1864 and have a fistfight on top of their time machine.

There was an actor that saw that fight and his only take away was that states rights were sacred, not the two people fighting atop a time machine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Night10194 posted:

Also, isn't one of the bigger reasons for low turnout for dems in midterms that more dems are, you know, working their asses off and getting time off and transport is harder for them?

Yeah. Plus there's nothing about making a compulsory voting law ensures the voting ill actually be accessible to all. If say Oklahoma passed a mandatory voting law today I'd bet you anything that they wouldn't make voting any easier, and would happily rake in fines from the people who couldn't vote.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh oh, Trump is upping his average reading level language from 3rd grade to 5th grade. This is the pivot!!!!

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

boner confessor posted:

false alarm

it's clear the choice is so-called, not pence. easily can be read as "pence was so obviously the best he wasn't even a choice"

Matt Negrin for first against the wall.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phone posted:

Uh oh, Trump is upping his average reading level language from 3rd grade to 5th grade. This is the pivot!!!!
Going after those educated dames, I see.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

boner confessor posted:

false alarm

or he's referencing the fact that he seemed to be forced to choose Pence at the time by his family and managers :tinfoil:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

fishmech posted:

Yeah. Plus there's nothing about making a compulsory voting law ensures the voting ill actually be accessible to all. If say Oklahoma passed a mandatory voting law today I'd bet you anything that they wouldn't make voting any easier, and would happily rake in fines from the people who couldn't vote.

If I was instituting complusory voting, I'd actually do it the opposite way. If more than X people in your state didn't vote, you get fined by the Federal government.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Night10194 posted:

Compulsory voting got the Australians a government that puts immigrants in camps.

I'm pretty sure Australians did that, actually.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fishmech posted:

Considering that it's incredibly en vogue to pile on fines (note: not taxes) for dumb bullshit, this is what would happen 100%.

VRA 2.0 gets passed, and then Oklahoma gets to have a Supreme Court case about it because they had a single bus service a population center of 10K and that technically follows the law.

Nessus posted:

Going after those educated dames, I see.

Going after that hot, hot, hot, hot middle school demographic.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

emdash posted:

or he's referencing the fact that he seemed to be forced to choose Pence at the time by his family and managers :tinfoil:

That was my read.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I fell asleep for 17 hours, did I miss anything interesting in the debates?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lozzle posted:

The reason they don't talk about this is because it is primarily Congress' fault for refusing to appropriate funds for more security. :ssh:

I seem to recall the Benghazi consulate going "eh, we good, any extra funds to Libya should go to the embassy as a higher value target with some security deficiencies". Which isn't to say they wouldn't have wanted money if there was enough to harden both places, of course!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Concordat posted:

Pence threw Trump under the bus, but made himself look good. Trump is capitalizing on this to make himself look legitmate.

Kane got Pence to say a lot of things that look bad in the post-debate and Clinton is capitalizing on it by making a bunch of ads.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Concordat posted:

The start of Mike Pence's 2020 Presidential campaign.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

emdash posted:

as much as we would all love to see trump disown pence that's not what is happening in that statement

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Trump is losing the election bigly again and is probably not going to have a good night Sunday.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

boner confessor posted:

false alarm

He's viewing Pence as an extension of himself that makes him look good. It's the same way he treats Ivanka and others.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Phone posted:

Going after that hot, hot, hot, hot middle school demographic.

Ivanka isn't in middle school anymore though.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Fitzy Fitz posted:

He's viewing Pence as an extension of himself that makes him look good. It's the same way he treats Ivanka and others.

to be fair that's pretty much what the VP is supposed to be in the VP debates.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Night10194 posted:

LBJ run Reconstruction may have been pretty interesting, too.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

OddObserver posted:

LBJ run Reconstruction may have been pretty interesting, too.

Excuse me while I whip this out...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A Texan getting elected in 1864 would have been... odd.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mandatory voting would get struck down as unconstitutional the moment someone signed it since it would be easy to prove that it is violating your first amendment right to free speech (the speech to vote for nobody). Especially if you ban write in voting.

Also as people pointed out above it won't solve anything because voter education and involvement is the real problem.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The "so-called choice" wording is weird, but he was saying that picking a running mate was his first presidential action and it worked out great. "His first hire" as he put it afterward.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

OK, chicken little, what is the negative thing we should worry about even if the Russians are in fact building disaster shelters out in Moscow.

Explain that one to me. Explain why we should be afraid of that. Maybe use short, quizzical questions and act harried at the very thought while you're at it.

Mr. President we must not allow a mine shaft gap!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Phone posted:

I'm loosely basing it off of second hand Australian stuff, where the main issue is that young people (18-25) aren't even registered.

That's being fixed with automatic voter registration in states like NSW.

fishmech posted:

Meanwhile Australia has Democracy Sausage sizzles and a proper electoral commission that does it's job.

Oh wait, does that mean the Australian system of getting as many people to the ballot box and ensuring they can vote, while remaining an almost fully corruption free voting system .... works...????? Why.... yes it does.

Idiots can still vote, but that's the price of having a voting system that isnt loving moronic like the USA.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oh god yes please be happening. Trump picking a fight with his own VP pick days before the next debate would be amazing.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Authoritarian shithead says things to scare his counties population into continually supporting him in a desperate plea to stave off the ongoing economic collapse that he brought against them for being an authoritarian shithead.

Remember, Putin famously loving hates Hillary.

Like utterly loving despises her on every level.

Look at who you just replied to.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If people can't get the motivation/effort to vote once every couple of years*, I'm not sure if I want them voting. Mandatory voting seems like a bad idea.

*obvious disclaimer for people who want to vote but can't because of not getting time off work or other circumstances. Elections should be a national holiday.

E: VVV It would help a lot, just because it wouldn't help 100% doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. P.S. thanks for using at-will employment correctly.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 5, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even if it was made a national holiday you know a ton of people would basically be told 'You're coming in or you're fired.' on Election Day.

Especially in at-will employment states.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sounds like the implicit national assumption here is that business owner authority matters more than democracy, which is, at least, unusually honest and consistent for the right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/783758561000042496

What a joke.

• Locked thread