Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BiohazrD posted:

is there any real reason to even have midterms? why not just sync everyone up on the same 4 year schedule?

The thinking of having the House and Senate on separate 2 and 6 year cycles was tied up in what the founders expected the two houses to be like. They saw the House as being more directly responsible to the will of the people and thus, having more frequent elections means they're constantly keeping their finger on the pulse of popular opinion. Senators, on the other hand, can take a more long-term view of the issues and in theory do what's best for the state even when that's not always the most immediately popular option.

The Senate originally being elected by state legislatures also ties into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Mail in voting is effective. If it wasn't, the Republicans wouldn't be trying to limit it in Arizona.

They passed a "Ballot Harvesting" law that makes it a felony for me to drop off my neighbor's ballot at a mailbox (I live in an apartment complex so we don't have outgoing mailboxes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Yea, you should have been more clear.

But also, tough poo poo. Deal with it, it's better for people.

How does your state provide voting access to homeless and other citizens without a permanent mailing addresses?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

How does your state provide voting access to homeless and other citizens without a permanent mailing addresses?

I dunno, I live in Florida, we're not all mail-in, but we do have the option of getting a mail-in ballot.

Every state should at least have the option.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Trabisnikof posted:

Here in Washington we have Accessible Voting Centers that you can vote in person at.

Also you might be able to list a shelter as your mailing address? I don't really know.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Mail in voting is effective. If it wasn't, the Republicans wouldn't be trying to limit it in Arizona.

They passed a "Ballot Harvesting" law that makes it a felony for me to drop off my neighbor's ballot at a mailbox (I live in an apartment complex so we don't have outgoing mailboxes.

Research hasn't actually shown if it is though, especially after the novelty wears off.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified. I know that it is the way it is because it is written into the Constitution. I was more curious as to the reasoning behind it.

Wasn't the House was the only group that was elected by the "population" (white, landed, males) originally, anyway?
So I don't think this modern view of election cycles really applies to the Constitution as written.

P.S. never mind House elections, though. The real trouble is things like odd-year elections, and sometimes even extra ones for local stuff.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

i don't even get why that lady was yelling at her??? if that woman is bringing her kid to a trump rally, she's probably already in the pocket for trump.

Or did they just see a disabled kid and have a PTSD flashback about that time trump made fun of a disabled reporter

The disabled are viewed as untermensch by the Trump red hats.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Casimir Radon posted:

Ban campaigning more than a year out from an election.

I would love this, but I'm sure it would be a violation of freedom of speech.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nice to know someone is willing to spend in the multiple tens of dollars because they fear for Rudy Giuliani's safety. lol

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bird in a Blender posted:

Also I'm pretty sure there was no campaigning for the general election before last november.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Quoting from a few pages back, but this is pro-click as gently caress.

Article posted:

And still, though for years Trump patronized the factories where they worked, many of the workers I spoke with had never heard of him. The few Shengzhou assembly-line workers that were aware of Trump had only just learned his name. The long arm of Trump's fame finally reached these workers not through his storied business enterprises but through his precipitous rise as a right-wing iconoclast in American politics.

"We've known about Hillary for quite some time, but Trump has just recently emerged," said a 47-year-old worker named Tong, who has made ties at Maidilang for more than a decade. "We don't understand him yet."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I should have been more clear -- it's a pain in the rear end administratively. (Disclaimer: I've spent a lot of time, including an entire year of my life, working in voting registration and elections.)

States and areas with vote only by mail have much higher turnout than average.

quote:

U.S. Turnout: 58.7%

Colorado: 71%

Washington: 65%

Oregon: 64.3%

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Nice to know someone is willing to spend in the multiple tens of dollars because they fear for Rudy Giuliani's safety. lol

Pretty sure that's not about Rudy chief

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

well we could prolly lessen the amount of campaigning by shortening the election clock (e.g., primaries all at once or over a couple weeks in july/august, then general in November)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Look at the link I posted with a run down on actual findings: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/12/21/voting-only-by-mail-can-decrease-or-increase-turnout-wait-what/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mcmagic posted:

to be fair, you bought a new avatar right away like a bitch

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

While this is true and I agree vote-by-mail is a Good Thing, those states already had high turnout.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So if anyone is familiar with Adam Ruins Everything, over in Manhattan there's a billboard where he says "Building a Wall will not stop illegal immigration." So this Trump supporter I know saw it posted a picture of it and said this is a prime example of a stupid liberals straw man argument because no one said it would. And I'm stunned, I don't know why, at the amount of ignorance

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

to be fair, you bought a new avatar right away like a bitch

I had a free one lying around that I won in a bet. I would not give anyone here the satisfaction of spending any money on that. I kinda liked my NRA one though...

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

So, Benghazi is brought up all the time by the anti-Hillary crowd, but I've never seen any justification or argument about it, they just say "Benghazi". Do people have an actual narrative for why it is her fault, or is it just that she happened to be on the same planet when it occurred?

Like, I don't feel like any rational person blamed GWB for 9/11; it's not his fault a bunch of terrorists did what they did. I just want to know if the anti-Hillary camp has any coherent justification at all.

What always really blows my mind about this is that there is actually a somewhat legit small-scale scandal regarding the lack of security at the building, but even half the idiots who parrot Benghazi nonsense every day probably wouldn't even be able to tell you that because the GOP so thoroughly drowned it out by hyping bullshit internet conspiracy theories about her "leaving our people to die".

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

well we could prolly lessen the amount of campaigning by shortening the election clock (e.g., primaries all at once or over a couple weeks in july/august, then general in November)

Yea, I like that idea more. What was it, like 5 months from the first primary/caucus to the last one?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Jarmak posted:

What always really blows my mind about this is that there is actually a somewhat legit small-scale scandal regarding the lack of security at the building, but even half the idiots who parrot Benghazi nonsense every day probably wouldn't even be able to tell you that because the GOP so thoroughly drowned it out by hyping bullshit internet conspiracy theories about her "leaving our people to die".

The reason they don't talk about this is because it is primarily Congress' fault for refusing to appropriate funds for more security. :ssh:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
^^^ you son of a bitch! ^^^

Jarmak posted:

That's because the GOP kept denying requests for increase funding for embassy security.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Would it have even been safer if it was a high profile high security building?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Compulsory voting is the only way to increase voter turnout at this point. Making election day a holiday will just mean people will go on vacation and not vote.

Hell, I vote by mail so I don't have to deal with Election day.

Eh, wrong answer. Many countries have compulsory voting and instead of having only 60% of eligible voters vote, you get 40% of people writing in "Mike Dick" and "Mickey Mouse".

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Yea, I like that idea more. What was it, like 5 months from the first primary/caucus to the last one?

Six-ish but yeah, it's absolutely absurd. You also then have a lot of disconnect where states have their primary or caucuses (we should get rid of these) really early, but it's only for presidential elections and all the local/state poo poo happens later and has much, much lower turnout.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Phone posted:

you get 40% of people writing in "Mike Dick"

whats a kdick?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

Eh, wrong answer. Many countries have compulsory voting and instead of having only 60% of eligible voters vote, you get 40% of people writing in "Mike Dick" and "Mickey Mouse".

Okay, so we ban write-ins and if you don't fill in a bubble for every election we kill your family keep your tax return.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

KomradeX posted:

So if anyone is familiar with Adam Ruins Everything, over in Manhattan there's a billboard where he says "Building a Wall will not stop illegal immigration." So this Trump supporter I know saw it posted a picture of it and said this is a prime example of a stupid liberals straw man argument because no one said it would. And I'm stunned, I don't know why, at the amount of ignorance

So why build the goddamn wall at all then? Is it just some 'FYGM' statement on an incredibly grand and expensive scale? Is it entirely a vanity project of xenophobes meant to intimidate foreigners?

Don't answer those...

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

Source your posts, because my understanding is that mandatory voting --> much higher levels of "legitimate" voter participation

e: here's one paper which theorizes counter to your post. based on 5 seconds of Google Scholar searching

http://www.edegan.com/pdfs/Krasa%20Polborn%20(2009)%20-%20Is%20mandatory%20voting%20better%20than%20voluntary%20voting.pdf

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 5, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The counterargument seems weird, since it's self selecting polling locations that don't have high amounts of turnout.

Like read this paragraph:

quote:

My research found that when you can only vote by mail, voter turnout actually drops by about 13 percent. I examined what happens to turnout if voting by mail is compulsory. I studied more than 90,000 voters who could vote only by mail across four elections from 2006 through 2008 in five of the most populous urban counties in California. (In that state, if a precinct has fewer than 250 voters, elections officials are allowed to forego a polling place and accept ballots only by mail.)

And the abstract:

quote:

What would happen to registrants when they have no choice and are required to cast their ballot by mail? We answer that question in this article. In this study we exploit a natural quasi-experiment in California to test how the utilization of mail-only balloting affects the turnout of registrants. We analyzed the behavior of 97,381 individual voters across four elections from 2006 to 2008 and found that when all-mail balloting was implemented, the estimated odds of an individual registrant voting decreased by 13.2%.

Essentially, all it's saying is "if your precinct has fewer that 250 votes, the chance of you voting decreases by 13.2%".

computer parts fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 5, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

So, Benghazi is brought up all the time by the anti-Hillary crowd, but I've never seen any justification or argument about it, they just say "Benghazi". Do people have an actual narrative for why it is her fault, or is it just that she happened to be on the same planet when it occurred?

Like, I don't feel like any rational person blamed GWB for 9/11; it's not his fault a bunch of terrorists did what they did. I just want to know if the anti-Hillary camp has any coherent justification at all.

I completely checked out of politics/current affairs for like, 7 years because of a lack of interest, cynicism and personal poo poo. This election being so huge though, everyone was talking about it. A neighbor I met down here in Texas brought it up and said he "definitely"wasn't voting for Hillary. I asked him why and he said Benghazi. I had no idea what he was talking about. So I went home, looking it up, and went "huh." And that's what brought me back to the world of politics. I wish I had stayed gone.

Some people will believe anything. It is a fact if you repeat something enough, people start to believe it's true. People frickin' though tObama was a Kenyan or Muslim or whatever, after all and that's even more bullshit.

It's kind of tragic they have to make up poo poo about Hillary though when she has several real clusterfucks to her name.

As for Bush and 9/11, Al Franken's book from about 10 years ago had a long section on how the Bush Administration had left the nation wide open for terrorist attacks. I'm no longer so blinded by my liberal ideas to swallow everything Democrat say though so who knows how much of that is trustworthy.

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/783741835420110848

On the other hand, you overcooked Pilsbury doughboy

Lamb Chowder fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 5, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

lozzle posted:

The reason they don't talk about this is because it is primarily Congress' fault for refusing to appropriate funds for more security. :ssh:

Eh, this is contentious at best, I'm not trying to attack Hillary I'm just saying there was something valid for them to complain about (or at least make the argument for) and not only did they ignore it they effectively insulated Hillary from that line of attack by embracing the full-on nutjob approach.

edit: forgot to include the link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...a31f9_blog.html

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

The counterargument seems weird, since it's self selecting polling locations that don't have high amounts of turnout.

I think the bigger takeaway is that the places it's most effective are those where there's a lot of buy-in from the election officials to remind people do mail their ballots in. States like Oregon and Washington, which have good civic culture to begin with aren't entirely good exemplars of whether it or works or not. I'd like to see data from, like say, a southern state to be able to say "this is an unalloyed good and something we should do."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i couldn't make it past a minute

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Augus posted:

i couldn't make it past a minute

It gets worse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Phone posted:

No we dont you idiot. Aust has a 5% Informal vote rate on a 95% turnout. Source : Aust Electoral Commission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

NikkolasKing posted:

People frickin' though tObama was a Kenyan or Muslim or whatever, after all and that's even more bullshit.

Think, as in currently they still believe it even if they won't admit it.

• Locked thread