Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Night10194 posted:

Even if it was made a national holiday you know a ton of people would basically be told 'You're coming in or you're fired.' on Election Day.

Especially in at-will employment states.

Low-end jobs still work holidays.

We could just have voting take place across a timespan > 1 day so it would be easier for people with schedules to make time for it instead of having every poor person in the country trying to get let out early on the same afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

But did he comment on the rear end of the cameraperson?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
This is old but I just stumbled upon it so bear with me: who want's to play a game of Who Defended Black Lives Matter With This Metaphor?

quote:

All of us are sitting around a table, and we're all friends," he said. "It's time for dessert, and everybody gets pie except for me and you. And you say, 'I didn't get any pie.' Everybody at the table looks at you and says 'I know. All pie matters.' You say, 'but I don't have any pie! What about my pie?'

The answer may surprise you!

It's Glenn Beck.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is there no early voting system in the US?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Andrast posted:

there is, varying state by state. Where I am in Maryland, I can vote starting Oct 27 I believe

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Andrast posted:

Depends on your state

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This one is even better:

https://twitter.com/toddzwillich/status/783728554202791936

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

lozzle posted:

This is old but I just stumbled upon it so bear with me: who want's to play a game of Who Defended Black Lives Matter With This Metaphor?

The answer may surprise you!

It's Glenn Beck.

Wait did this election break Glenn Beck?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Trump's total lack of self control is a blessing and a curse for us all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Meanwhile Australia has Democracy Sausage sizzles and a proper electoral commission that does it's job.

Oh wait, does that mean the Australian system of getting as many people to the ballot box and ensuring they can vote, while remaining an almost fully corruption free voting system .... works...????? Why.... yes it does.

Idiots can still vote, but that's the price of having a voting system that isnt loving moronic like the USA.

Yeah, it's real great how your country keeps voting for concentration camps and against lgbt rights, and all the other stupid poo poo you do.

Mandatory voting has never been a good idea.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Conservative Evangelical pastors come up with a completely insane excuse for voting for a racist fuckstick who is opposite of Christ in basically every way? Color me surprised.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Voyager I posted:

We could just have voting take place across a timespan > 1 day so it would be easier for people with schedules to make time for it instead of having every poor person in the country trying to get let out early on the same afternoon.
And risk letting the mudsills and greasy mechanics overcome the judgment of wise, educated white men of wealth and leisure?!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

American Christianity has problems.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jswatz/status/783761510678073348

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

fishmech posted:

Yeah, it's real great how your country keeps voting for concentration camps and against lgbt rights, and all the other stupid poo poo you do.

This is evidence that Australians are stupid, not that mandatory voting is stupid.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

I want this deep within my bones. I want it on a skeletal level.

But I want a second, verifying source for it before I'm willing to break out the Meltdown Rum.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bassetking posted:

But I want a second, verifying source for it before I'm willing to break out the Meltdown Rum.

There's already been a correction that he was just saying Pence was his choice, is an extension of himself, and so anything good Pence does is all Trump and not Pence at all.

So still crazy, but sadly not 'I am going to shiv my VP nom' crazy.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Bassetking posted:

It's confirmed wrong. He said "my first so-called choice" implying it wasn't really a choice at all (i.e. it was an easy choice).

Covok
May 27, 2013

I would love if Hillary goads Trump with "my VP supports me, unlike some other people" and starts a meltdown that literally explodes Trumps' head.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So, turns out Pam Bondi's not the only state AG reviewing Trump businesses who's received a donation from Trump.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-often-made-donations-to-state-attorneys-general-reviewing-his-business-1475689963

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Well their both corrupt, evil poo poo heads who govern midwestern states that suck.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pakled posted:

So, turns out Pam Bondi's not the only state AG reviewing Trump businesses who's received a donation from Trump.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-often-made-donations-to-state-attorneys-general-reviewing-his-business-1475689963

We need more Trump scandals. More.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Covok posted:

American Christianity has problems.

Conservative American Christianity has problems. Left-wing Christianity in America generally adores Hillary (a quietly devout Methodist) and Kaine. Kaine's stance of "I personally do not approve of abortion due to religious conviction but don't think it should be the government's decision and therefore support the woman's right to choice" resonates very strongly with most left-wing Christians.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Voyager I posted:

How about West-Coast-style automatic mail-in voting, implemented nationwide?

Granted, you'd have to come up with solid accomodations for the homelss and people with transitive living situations, before this could be a complete fix

plus restoration of voting rights for felons of course
really there's a lot of incomplete fixes that could be combined into a complete fix

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 5, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

fishmech posted:

The non-voting population in the US falls disproportionately into demographics that favor Democrats. I don't think that mandatory voting would have the same effects here as in Australia, which has a radically different electorate.

(Note, I don't have a position on mandatory voting. I just don't think Australia is a useful comparison.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pakled posted:

Trump spin machine take:

Well you see, it's actually a good thing that I'm getting caught giving money to politicians and judges because I'm exposing the corruption and greed within the system. It's broken! I would know because I helped break it, and that makes me way more qualified than career politicians like Hillary Clinton.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Scott Walker has the super power of not being able to take a single good picture.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Especially in at-will employment states.

All states are at-will employment.

I agree though a federal holiday doesn't mean jack poo poo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Conservative American Christianity has problems. Left-wing Christianity in America generally adores Hillary (a quietly devout Methodist) and Kaine. Kaine's stance of "I personally do not approve of abortion due to religious conviction but don't think it should be the government's decision and therefore support the woman's right to choice" resonates very strongly with most left-wing Christians.

Clinton/Kaine is probably the most sincerely devout ticket we've had from either party in decades

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Goatman Sacks posted:

I agree though a federal holiday doesn't mean jack poo poo.

Not Montana! :eng101:

I don't get it either.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lozzle posted:

This is evidence that Australians are stupid, not that mandatory voting is stupid.

The only argument for mandatory voting is that it would be part of making sure everyone votes and make sure we get better results. The reality that it doesn't get any sort of better results shows that it's useless.

That's why very few countries still have and enforce it, while countries from Mexico to the Netherlands to Greece to Austria have abandoned it.

GalacticAcid posted:

The non-voting population in the US falls disproportionately into demographics that favor Democrats. I don't think that mandatory voting would have the same effects here as in Australia, which has a radically different electorate.

(Note, I don't have a position on mandatory voting. I just don't think Australia is a useful comparison.)

Mandatory voting doesn't actually guarantee that those people could vote. It just would guarantee that if they don't vote they get punished.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

lozzle posted:

I don't get it either.

that... wha...

well how about that.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Lote posted:

Scott Walker has the super power of not being able to take a single good picture.

probably because his face is one of the most boring things ever. it looks like it's ready to escape off his skull.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Goatman Sacks posted:

Montana isn't!

lozzle posted:

I don't get it either.

Damnit, lozzle! :argh:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Geostomp posted:

Trump's total lack of self control is a blessing and a curse for us all.

The reaction to Pence "winning" the debate tells me that if Trump was able to just speak in a calm voice he would win this election.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Cythereal posted:

I really wish Kaine pushed farther on his faith and how it is completely incompatible with supporting someone like Trump. Especially when your excuse is "God works in mysterious ways and will totally smite him to get Pence in the seat". The Christian left needs to confront Evangelical Christianity before my faith becomes fatally corrupted.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Christ Alive, why did 49/50 states adopt At Will Employment?!

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Rygar201 posted:

Pretty sure it has its origins in the Gilded Age. So yeah.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sorry of I missed this earlier, but a very very good take from neocon #NeverTrump superstar Max Boot.

https://twitter.com/MaxBoot/status/783737372336754689

In case of deletion or Twitter ceasing operations posted:

Athletes who renounce patriotism de facto empower the world's thugs. My take:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Rygar201 posted:

gently caress you that's why

• Locked thread