Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How far off are we from a future where people vote via internet? Don't they do something like that in Estonia or somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Rygar201 posted:

Christ Alive, why did 49/50 states adopt At Will Employment?!

Because 'business' is clearly more important than workers.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lote posted:

Potato has the super power of not being able to take a single good picture.

The Koch bros have two forever orders with Potato. One of them is to never be photogenic.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Cythereal posted:

Conservative American Christianity has problems. Left-wing Christianity in America generally adores Hillary (a quietly devout Methodist) and Kaine. Kaine's stance of "I personally do not approve of abortion due to religious conviction but don't think it should be the government's decision and therefore support the woman's right to choice" resonates very strongly with most left-wing Christians.

Leftist Christians tend not to be as well organized as right wing evangelical groups. It's unfortunate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

:downs: It's good for the employee too, because you can quit whenever you want! :downs:

*ignores that slavery is no longer legal*

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

punk rebel ecks posted:

How far off are we from a future where people vote via internet? Don't they do something like that in Estonia or somewhere?

This is a massive can of worms that you're not ready to open.

Here's a breakdown:
https://youtu.be/JY_pHvhE4os

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rygar201 posted:

Because Montana is heartless and cares not for the poor businesses that are constantly being abused by their workers.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

Sorry of I missed this earlier, but a very very good take from neocon #NeverTrump superstar Max Boot.

https://twitter.com/MaxBoot/status/783737372336754689

Just this morning I was thinking that one of the most disturbing parts of this election cycle was how often I was agreeing with Max Boot, I'm glad that I can now return to a semblance of normalcy, even if only for a little while.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

overdesigned posted:

Just this morning I was thinking that one of the most disturbing parts of this election cycle was how often I was agreeing with Max Boot, I'm glad that I can now return to a semblance of normalcy, even if only for a little while.

Purge those thoughts. He's disgusting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pastrymancy posted:

Leftist Christians tend not to be as well organized as right wing evangelical groups. It's unfortunate.

Yeah they are. Who do you think is a major force in organizing African-American turnout?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pastrymancy posted:

And we also tend not to make a big deal out of our beliefs politically because they line up quite nicely behind traditionally liberal social values. The Democrats don't have the same issues splitting the economic and social wings of the party that the GOP is struggling with.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tender Bender posted:

The reaction to Pence "winning" the debate tells me that if Trump was able to just speak in a calm voice he would win this election.

Uh, no?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

At will employment is fine. You just know that without it companies would start suing taking their employees to binding arbitration when they quit because they didn't fulfill the ten month notice requirement in page 83 of the addendum to the employment agreement.

But you need unions that can use the threat of unified exercising of the employee side of the at-will system to negotiate better terms for members as well as strong social safety nets to carry people over to the next job if they do get fired.

Which is why right-to-work laws and making unemployment benefits contingent on being fired "without cause" are both goddamn atrocities.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Tender Bender posted:

The reaction to Pence "winning" the debate tells me that if Trump was able to just speak in a calm voice he would win this election.

a calm Trump wouldn't have won the primary

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, I'll concede that there are a ton of people out there who are looking for some way, any way, they can justify voting for Trump and still sleep at night, but I don't think there are enough of them to sway the election.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Andrast posted:

Is there no early voting system in the US?

Voting in US is run by individual States, often delegating some of the operational esponsibility to their subunits like Counties or municipalities. Some states have early voting, some don't.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Skipped four days and three thousand posts. What'd I miss?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

I mean, I'll concede that there are a ton of people out there who are looking for some way, any way, they can justify voting for Trump and still sleep at night, but I don't think there are enough of them to sway the election.

I don't know, I think there are a significant number.

The winner of this election is going to determine the makeup of the Supreme Court for a least a good portion of the future. Anyone with extremely strong opinions on certain subjects (gun control, abortion, medical care, marriage, gender rights, ect) know that this is a pretty significant election and "hold your nose and vote for Trump so a good supreme court justice gets in" is a really valid strategy even for someone who loathes Trump if they can convince themselves the damage he'll cause is less than the damage Clinton's supreme court justice would cause.

But the number who are willing to believe Trump is less dangerous has to be fluctuating pretty hard.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

GalacticAcid posted:

Max Boot is a tool. The linked article starts by saying that pacifists made WWII inevitable, and then implicitly compares them to athlete protesters. If black people protest against being used for target practice by the police, then Hitler.

quote:

Back in 1933, the Oxford Union provoked a furor when its member approved a resolution stating that “this House will in no circumstances fight for its King and country.” This later came to be cited as a prize specimen of the kind of pacifist thinking that prevented the Western democracies from opposing the rise of Nazism–and that made World War II, the most destructive war in history, inevitable.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm SO weak and feckless right now

Too weak to feck.

Christ. My parents watch this stupid Watters' World bullshit. I knew he was bad but I didn't think it would reach Andy Rooney's character in Breakfast at Tiffany's levels.

KomradeX posted:

So if anyone is familiar with Adam Ruins Everything, over in Manhattan there's a billboard where he says "Building a Wall will not stop illegal immigration." So this Trump supporter I know saw it posted a picture of it and said this is a prime example of a stupid liberals straw man argument because no one said it would. And I'm stunned, I don't know why, at the amount of ignorance

"It's just a shovel-ready job project. It won't keep Mexicans out like building a new bridge would keep the old one from collapsing, but the bottom line is TRUMP!" *click*

boner confessor posted:

false alarm

https://twitter.com/MattNegrin/status/783753676770963456

it's clear the choice is so-called, not pence. easily can be read as "pence was so obviously the best he wasn't even a choice"

They must've calmed Trump down by explaining that since he picked Pence and that Pence did a good job, it means Trump did a good job because he let him be his running mate.

lozzle posted:

This is old but I just stumbled upon it so bear with me: who want's to play a game of Who Defended Black Lives Matter With This Metaphor?

The answer may surprise you!

It's Glenn Beck.

I would say that this election has driven him insane but that would imply that he was sane in the first place. Maybe it just drove him sane?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Max Boot is a tool. The linked article starts by saying that pacifists made WWII inevitable, and then implicitly compares them to athlete protesters. If black people protest against being used for target practice by the police, then Hitler.

It's one thing to just say they're unpatriotic or 'hate America' because they're kneeling. It's another to infer they're helping or encouraging 'the enemy'. That guy is a class-A shitstain.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Andrast posted:

Is there no early voting system in the US?

Arizona's early ballot starts next week, and you can register for Permanent Early Voting status, which I have :cool:

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Doctor Butts posted:

It's one thing to just say they're unpatriotic or 'hate America' because they're kneeling. It's another to infer they're helping or encouraging 'the enemy'. That guy is a class-A shitstain.

His "logic" is so easily turned against him, too. Perhaps the "pacifists" are the athletes who do stand for the anthem, and "the enemy" is racist pieces of poo poo like Max Boot.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

I bought The Savage Wars of Peace because it was on a reading list and I feel bad about it now that I know who he is. I never did get around to reading it. Maybe for the best.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Internet Webguy posted:

Christ. My parents watch this stupid Watters' World bullshit. I knew he was bad but I didn't think it would reach Andy Rooney's character in Breakfast at Tiffany's levels.
Mickey Rooney. Andy Rooney was the crotchity rear end in a top hat who didn't like fuckall on 60 minutes.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Indefinitely, since that's the amount of time it'll take to invent a perfect, 100% reliable, verifiable, and secure Internet voting system.

Estonia issues IDs with public keys to every citizen to make things more secure, and even then two years ago a bunch of cybersecurity experts got together and basically screamed "STOP ONLINE VOTING ESTONIA WE CAN BREAK IN SO EASY" and Estonia said "No sorry our branding is as an e-country now computers for everything".

Mail-in voting works just drat fine, if states would actually do that and stop actively trying to stop people voting.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Is feckless a word that actually exists in the real world and not just in the Beltway

If someone drops it non-ironically its my red flag that he is a Very Serious Person whose words mean diddly dick

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Cythereal posted:

Conservative American Christianity has problems. Left-wing Christianity in America generally adores Hillary (a quietly devout Methodist) and Kaine. Kaine's stance of "I personally do not approve of abortion due to religious conviction but don't think it should be the government's decision and therefore support the woman's right to choice" resonates very strongly with most left-wing Christians.

I know, I'm a left- wing American Christian, but the right-wingers scare me and make me worry about their mental state and reading comprehension.

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GalacticAcid posted:

Sorry of I missed this earlier, but a very very good take from neocon #NeverTrump superstar Max Boot.

https://twitter.com/MaxBoot/status/783737372336754689

can we get a word filter that replaces "thugs" with the n-word?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shifty Pony posted:

At will employment is fine. You just know that without it companies would start suing taking their employees to binding arbitration when they quit because they didn't fulfill the ten month notice requirement in page 83 of the addendum to the employment agreement.

No, there are plenty of European countries that make it very hard to fire, and the result is not that you have to give notice 10 months in advance or be sued. You can quit just fine. You are supposed to work a short notice period, but companies rarely enforce it.

There *is* a negative result in that companies are cautious in hiring so if they aren't sure about you they are likely to say "no" rather than giving you a chance and seeing how you work out.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
oh they speak Fuckin English, well that explains all the dialect differences

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Lote posted:

Scott Walker has the super power of not being able to take a single good picture.

Scott Walker has resting mansplain face

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Glenn Beck is woke now it's weird

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Is there a reason the punchline to every single joke is a clip from a 40 year old comedy?

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013

overdesigned posted:

I bought The Savage Wars of Peace because it was on a reading list and I feel bad about it now that I know who he is. I never did get around to reading it. Maybe for the best.

I read it, and I thought it was ok - it was worth it as a compendium of the bush wars/police actions that the US involved itself it so long as you look past all of his critical analysis on each event.

I still feel bad that I wound up giving him money by buying it, though.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there a reason the punchline to every single joke is a clip from a 40 year old comedy?

Old white people.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And they were all really cringe worthy and unfunny.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Max Boot sounds like the alias for a fascist superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My favorite has to be the woman at 1:25 who's open disdain is attempted to be portrayed as confusion.

• Locked thread