Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Awww yeah, probably got in the low to mid 20s because I'm smart. :smug:

I was this close to typing that guy who couldn't spell potato because the only name I could think of was Mondale and I knew that wasn't right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gently caress that algebra question on the test tonight.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Yeah, I got loving crushed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mukaikubo posted:

Well, signed up to take the test again.

Countdown clock hit 0 and the test never came up. :haw:
Same. It hosed me in January too. I can't believe they can't get their poo poo together.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Celery Jello posted:

I was this close to typing that guy who couldn't spell potato because the only name I could think of was Mondale and I knew that wasn't right.
That was the one I blanked on the hardest that I knew I actually knew. I don't think this was the easy day this year. 40 is probably optimistic.

w/r/t the technical errors I don't know why they don't let you take it on multiple days and just use the highest/lowest/average/a random one, whatever they prefer. It's not like there's any integrity to this portion of the process anyway and this is just the broadest preliminary prescreening.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
AHHHHHH I PUT loving DAN QUayle becauSE I MIXED UP THE BUSHES

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

AHHHHHH I PUT loving DAN QUayle becauSE I MIXED UP THE BUSHES

The question was George H. W., wasn't it? That was Quayle.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

The question was George H. W., wasn't it? That was Quayle.

Yeah, it was. Thank god. I thought HW was the later one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

Yeah, it was. Thank god. I thought HW was the later one.

There's a reason we called the President "Dubya" for eight years last decade. :pseudo:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

There's a reason we called the President "Dubya" for eight years last decade. :pseudo:
Yeah, I think my brain just started panicking in the middle of the test. Not being American, those questions are usually the hardest for me haha.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I felt I performed to my satisfaction -- and that is a new one for me. Whether or not I performed to their satisfaction, I couldn't say. I will say I believe I did get that algebra question right ('y' should have been 3, because you'll end up with 21 after plugging in 5 for 'x.')

At any rate, gently caress it. If they call, that's great. If they don't, I'm no worse off than when I started the test.

here. have a hammered dulcimer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6QOr-oCTwU&hd=1

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 6, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Looks like I got 29 or 30 (I can't remember what I answered for a couple) which is better than I usually do so yay.

edit: looking over it again, I think I got 31! New record for me, I've never broken 30 before.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 6, 2016

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Timby posted:

gently caress that algebra question on the test tonight.

I spent the entire time swearing at my computer during that one, even when I figured it out. Same thing with the Yoknapatawpha County question.

Does anyone know where the auditions are this round? I tried finding them and didn't have any luck.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

I get the feeling that Seth actually didn't do so well entirely because he was as good at Jeopardy as the Arthur Chus and all that but because he got a LOT of complete morons as opponents.

Don't get me wrong, the dude is really good at the game and definitely deserved the money he won, but I feel like normally he would have been more of a 5-day type champ rather than however many he's at now. Which I also think is why he has so much less money than Arthur and Matt did with the same number of games.

He had a number of big wins in his first couple of games, but I guess in the end, the fatigue caught up with him and he was buoyed along with challengers who weren't really up to par. I mean, he was good, but I agree, not Arthur Chu or Matt Jackson or Alex Jacob good, and it shows in his winning totals compared to those other guys.

Missed today's episode as well because of New York Comic Con stuff, but looking over the j-archive summary of the game and the New York Times Final Jeopardy clue, that was a real cakewalk clue, and some rather poor wagering by Seth, who has been coasting on that these last couple of games. Guess he doesn't get to tie Matt Jackson's record of games won, but has overtaken Arthur. Still, his winnings, while high, again aren't up to the level of the others...

Retro good luck to all those who took the test tonight. Still offering referrals if you think you did well enough (which, going off of the responses here, looks like many of you guys think you didn't). Answer list should be up already on the Jeopardy fan boards, compare them with what you remember of your responses and see if you think you made the cut.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I am still trying to figure out wtf Seth's betting strategy was tonight.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I am still trying to figure out wtf Seth's betting strategy was tonight.

Assuming he wasn't just tanking it (and if so, why answer correctly?), my guess is he thought The Economy would have a much harder question, one he probably couldn't answer, and was betting on that lady to also not know by wager high in order to beat him.

It has logic, but I don't think that's the way to play Jeopardy! Always wager to win, not to lose.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That FJ was so easy I got it while fast-forwarding. I can't believe anyone who was alive in 2008 didn't.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Somewhere around 30 on last night's also. That was a bloodbath. I should know better by now than to take the middle test.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

Somewhere around 30 on last night's also. That was a bloodbath. I should know better by now than to take the middle test.

I swear the Tuesday test is always easiest of the three

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Well I'm hosed, events have conspired the last couple nights where I haven't been able to be near my PC to take the test.

At 10PM local time too? Sheesh.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah I really need a test at, like, 10AM, when the caffeine has kicked in.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I looked at the Tuesday questions and I think I would have done a lot worse than I did on Wednesday.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh boy did tonight's test ever gently caress me hard.

I'd say I'd be lucky to have gotten 30. I blanked on so, so many things.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Pretty sure I hit 44 on tonight's test. Last year was my best ever at ~47 and I didn't hear anything though. Still hopeful

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat Jeopardy, this is just mean.

They really had me going for a second there. :(

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sirotan posted:

drat Jeopardy, this is just mean.

They really had me going for a second there. :(

Just came in here to post this.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
their sarcastic clapping makes it even better

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Just came in here to post this.

I had the exact same reaction. It shocked me for a second because there's no way in hell that I made the cut.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Tonight's Final really, really should not have been a triple-stumper. Your mind has to go to China, and there's only one city in China that I can think of that's a verb of any sort in English.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I didn't go directly to China, but it didn't take very long to realize it was Shanghai. In fact, I did the Alex Jacob shake my head and then realize the answer thing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

lol

https://twitter.com/TerrellDidThis/status/786351151067328516

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yeah, I cracked up pretty hard on that because I thought that kind of music was just a gag on The IT Crowd and not a real thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Alex is so savage sometimes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

By train!?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PT6A posted:

Tonight's Final really, really should not have been a triple-stumper. Your mind has to go to China, and there's only one city in China that I can think of that's a verb of any sort in English.

I got it close to immediately, not least of the reasons why because the Daily Double I hit in my own show asked for the largest container port in the world, that being Shanghai.

As for the Alex diss, social media has been blowing up about it, with people demanding he apologize for it tonight or be fired due to the comment. I didn't catch tonight's episode, so I dunno if he did or reference it in any way when he introduced the champ or did another interview segment, but I'm guessing not, since these things are taped months in advance and they'd have no way to know that something like this would blow up in such a way.

I've heard former Jeopardy contestants refer to this as an "Uncle Alex moment", when he becomes flummoxed a bit by modern stuff, tries to be amusing, and it goes over like a lead balloon. But man, are people angry about this...

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
A lot of loser Jeopardy fans out there.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I had the theme from The Addams Family stuck in my head from January until, like, May.

Now it's back.

gently caress you, Jeopardy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I answered that, and then snapped my fingers twice.

Also, nice post/avatar combo.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I've never been more annoyed while watching this show than I was during that Harry Potter category

Edit: actually that whole game was a travesty holy gently caress

Edit 2: okay it wasn't that bad. Also serves me right for posting while watching

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The game didn't turn out that bad but man, poor Jerry.