Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just love the dynamic of Sam and Miles knowing exactly why she's doing this and going along with it.

I just love Sam and Miles. They're so, so good together. Miles' passive-aggressive "I'm only coming if he is" text was the cutest thing.

Roth posted:

Wow, Joss Whedon's Runaways felt really off.

Didn't you love the child bride/child rape subplot? Wasn't it...great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Champions might finally be the Teen Titans book Marvel has wanted since they launched the original New Warriors series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think the most amazing thing about champions was that it made me not hate Sam

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Didn't you love the child bride/child rape subplot? Wasn't it...great?

It was great when Molly punched Punisher in the stomach, but then the rest of the plot happened.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Soonmot posted:

I know you can't see it but at least try to imagine my expression of resigned disgust right now

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Soonmot posted:

Were you the last "I hate Sam because he's not Richard" hold out, or have you just not been properly exposed to his awesomeness since day one?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love Sam, but it's in spite of a book that often did Sam a real disservice by repeating his one character arc over and over instead of giving him new ones, not because of it.

Sam has always been great, but he just isn't layered enough to anchor a solo the way Rich did during the Abnett/Lanning Cosmic era. He also had two main writers and it's super duper obvious that he did (instead of one writer or team) because the nice goth girl love interest disappeared off the face of the planet when the new guy took over and suddenly Sam's dad was Actually An Imposter and Sam went "whelp, gotta go off in space again after finally figuring my poo poo out!". It's the most obvious "gently caress the previous canon it's MY BOOK NOW" writing that called to mind what Fletcher and co. did when they took over Batgirl from Simone, and just as weirdly kinda catty.

So I can sort of close my eye and cock my head to one side and see how someone could hate Sam. He's a great character who didn't really get a great solo, ironically kind of in the same position that Miles was in pre ANAD (Spider-Man has been an unending delight).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When Sam's book was announced I knew I would hate it, I was poo poo talking it before it even came out. Then something awesome happened, the book was good. It became very clear that Loeb had finally come terms with his grief over his son's death and his brief run on the book (he left after #6) was just wonderful. I believe he even said in an interview that it was the first book he'd written for Sam since he'd passed. And the following creators did a fine job in making him a great character, so much so that I got past the replacement of Rich Rider.

Until Bendis shat all over his death in his GotG run.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Barry Convex posted:

Jessica Jones #1: Can Bendis please stick to writing books like this, and not superhero events or team books that are completely unsuited to his strengths as a writer?

True.

Also hated resetting her character arc to zero, but hopefully it will make sense eventually. Either way it's more Alias and that's a good thing.

Noticed the big ~not for kids~ on the cover, but no f-bombs were dropped. Hopefully it means that it will have the same latitude that Alias had as a max title.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It seems like Marvel's treating JJ like, to use a TV show comparison, an FX title (so you get "poo poo" and "goddamn" and women are frequently called "bitches") and there's about that level of permissiveness in onscreen content, but it's not a MAX (or, to further the analogy, HBO) title. So I doubt we'll see Jessica Jones let Luke Cage have anal sex with her because she's full of just that much goddamn self-loathing, and probably no "fucks".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really liked Champions a lot, but dangit, that is not what houses in Georgetown look like!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

It seems like Marvel's treating JJ like, to use a TV show comparison, an FX title (so you get "poo poo" and "goddamn" and women are frequently called "bitches") and there's about that level of permissiveness in onscreen content, but it's not a MAX (or, to further the analogy, HBO) title. So I doubt we'll see Jessica Jones let Luke Cage have anal sex with her because she's full of just that much goddamn self-loathing, and probably no "fucks".

Projecting much?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That literally happened in Alias, dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Haha, he hasn't read the thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I actually have, I just forgot that part of it. I guess the projecting was from Bendis.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I dunno about "self-loathing." I mean...clearly Jessica was self-loathing, :v: but I don't know if that specifically has to do with the butt stuff.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I remember correctly she literally has an internal text box that says something like "pain is the only thing that makes me feel any more" while it is happening. Its pretty explicit.

I consider that, Luke Cage's ebonics, and his use of the word "Nigga" as Bendis trying to nail a specific point and just sort of loving it up, but which almost work despite themselves because of the clear intention and emotional honesty behind the dialog. Like its less "seventies stereotypes" and more "this is how black people talk, right?" and the anal sex thing is more "she drinks and fucks, especially when she hates herself, so lets follow that through to its natural conclusion". Like i don't think its really skeevy or sort of gaze-y per se, but sure does come across as a bit embarrassing to read a decade later.

God I love Alias.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

I was so upset by the teased Jessica/ Luke split that I couldn't really enjoy alias. Uggggggg gently caress.

:agreed:

Champions was good though. A little rushed and heavy handed at the end but hey it's a first issue getting the band together, it's to be expected.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Gaz-L posted:

Regular Avengers are SamCap, Thor, Vision, Hercules, Pete-Spidey, Wasp and probably Iron Doom.

What are the odds on some sort of sequence between Herc and probably Thor that's pretty much identical to Cap and Herc in 2099, in regards to him being Herc-ish?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah Death of X was.......clunky. So like, Iceman and Magik were apparently exposed to the mist, but we know they've been completely fine for months at this point and this issue just gives a handwavey "it just affects different mutants differently" handwave. And they verbally say that Goldballs is sick from the exposure, except at literally no point in the issue do we see Goldballs being sick, and we know that he's also fine because he's been appearing in Spider-Man. Showing that the sickness is so random and arbitrary even among people who have been exposed, and then having Scott give this lame WE'RE AT WAAAR speech anyway?...just felt clunky and forced.

As for Madrox, though, I give it three years before someone reveals that this one wasn't the original. It's just way too easy to write a way out of this one.

I just spent the whole time wondering why no one ever put on a hazmat suit or at least a rebreather on Muir Island. When investigating a strange gas, and certainly when you start to feel ill from it, you should probably sort yourself out (which the X-Men surely have on the Blackbird), and surely somewhere on Muir Island, at a research facility, there would have been a sealed room or hazmat suits etc for Madrox. Madrox has the easy out, but he was a weird choice after his lovely ending to X-Factor. I don't have a good gauge on his popularity, but unless they solely wanted the easy out (which has been done, as noted), surely there are more appropriate mutants to kill for shock value?

The Inhumans' unceasing grins were incredibly unsettling though. I don't think that's what the artist was going for, but it was very sinister a probably is a stronger reason for 'War were declared' than Scott's reasoning.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Champions might finally be the Teen Titans book Marvel has wanted since they launched the original New Warriors series.

The original New Warriors series was better than the Teen Titans series DC was putting out at the time, and indeed better than New Teen Titans had been since 1982. :colbert:

My most-wanted Marvel omnibus is New Warriors Vol. 2.

Edit: I should add, though, that this description has prompted me to go and order a copy of the issue, which makes it the first floppy I have bought in... Probably close to a decade. (When did the original Young Avengers come out?)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 6, 2016

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yeah we already been here, done that with Madrox.

Good money says RessureXtion restores all dead mutants to life.

Since i've already done the 'Ulysses is one of the split-off pieces of Kang' thing, let's go with 'In RessureXtion, we find that the Terrigen Mists don't actually KILL mutants, they just do what they've always done, but differently because they're not Inhumans, they're mutants. Some they kill, just like some Inhumans die from exposure to the mists, but some just go into hibernation and appear dead instead of being cocooned, and then come out of it with new powers or whatever.'

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 6, 2016

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Martinpale posted:

Since i've already done the 'Ulysses is one of the split-off pieces of Kang' thing, let's go with 'In RessureXtion, we find that the Terrigen Mists don't actually KILL mutants, they just do what they've always done, but differently because they're not Inhumans, they're mutants. Some they kill, just like some Inhumans die from exposure to the mists, but some just go into hibernation and appear dead instead of being cocooned, and then come out of it with new powers or whatever.'

this is how they get film rights back (no not really). "they were never really mutants! they were Turbo-Inhumans!" :shepface:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*Peter David runs in*

ACTUALLY MADROX ISN'T A MUTANT HE'S A KILLCROP SO CLEARLY THE TERRAGIN MIST AFFECTS HIM DIFFERENTLY!!

Anyway, Death of X was kind of a wet fart and I don't know if I'm going to bother with any more.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endless Mike posted:

*Peter David runs in*

ACTUALLY MADROX ISN'T A MUTANT HE'S A KILLCROP SO CLEARLY THE TERRAGIN MIST AFFECTS HIM DIFFERENTLY!!

Anyway, Death of X was kind of a wet fart and I don't know if I'm going to bother with any more.

I legitimately have not been able to stop calling Inhumans vs X-Men, Avengers vs X-Men. That's how bored this issue and event are making me.

Also Madrox is only as dead until another writer says "Actually the Madrox who said he was the original wasn't the original!"

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Could this week's Invincible Iron Man have broadcast that Carol is going to kill Tony in this dumb event in even larger letters? I mean, we're at the point of foreshadowing that a SHOCKING TWIST where that isn't the outcome would be M. Night Shyamalan levels of obnoxiously :smug:

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 6, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm not sure why it just now occurs to me to ask but why does jjj no longer own the bugle and has the fact channel instead?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

I'm not sure why it just now occurs to me to ask but why does jjj no longer own the bugle and has the fact channel instead?

He sold it when he became mayor if I remember right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess because it's a newspaper and most people don't read those anymore. I've not been kept up with the peter spiderman book in ages tho

e: oh, or that

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

*Peter David runs in*

Them killing Jamie pisses me off but there are a few outs at least. Jamie has dupes running around with their own lives, that wasn't the original Jamie, and oh yeah, the person he married has the ability to resurrect the dead. She also would have known about the mists and all that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The current Daily Bugle isn't even the original. It's the renamed Pulse that Ben Urich owned/ran.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Mr Hootington posted:

He sold it when he became mayor if I remember right.

To add on, he was forced to resign from being mayor by Spider-Ock blackmailing him, then some guys from Fact Channel offered him a show. It's weird because (to me personally, maybe I'm misreading) the Fact Channel thing started as a gag where it was basically Fox News so JJJ would be a pundit who yells non-facts all the time, like O'Reilly only blaming things on Spider-Man instead of Obama. But now everyone writing Spider-Man (and Silk, who works for JJJ) seems to treat it like Jonah runs the Fact Channel and it is an actual legit news network.

Also the Fact Channel is the dumbest name for a fake news channel and I don't even care if it was a joke, I want to tell whoever thought it up (Slott, right?) how stupid it is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Metalshark posted:

I just spent the whole time wondering why no one ever put on a hazmat suit or at least a rebreather on Muir Island. When investigating a strange gas, and certainly when you start to feel ill from it, you should probably sort yourself out (which the X-Men surely have on the Blackbird), and surely somewhere on Muir Island, at a research facility, there would have been a sealed room or hazmat suits etc for Madrox.
The beginning was especially idiotic 'cuz we get Magik specifically saying "Hey this gas can be dangerous, we should be careful" and then Emma goes "LOL WATEVER ARE YOU SCARED YOU LIL BITCH??" like...what?

And...being totally honest, I'm gonna pin most of this on Lemire and not Soule; the former's clearly the one overseeing the X-Men portions of this story. And I know a lot of people like his writing for whatever reason, but his X-Men stuff has mostly been halfways halfassed (though I like how he writes Jean and the other students). If he's the one taking lead on the rest of this X-Men vs Inhumans story...that frankly makes me way less excited for it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Excellent, ty guys

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I should write comics because I can always figure out a way to handwave stuff away that makes sense.

Bobby wasn't effected because he was in his ice form long enough that the mists didn't effect him, and Illyana's sorceress powers kept her from feeling it too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's really more the editor's job.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't need to handwave that because they already did. the mists don't affect every mutant negatively or at the same strength. some get nothing, some get a little sick, and some just straight up die

e: o wait they also sterilize mutants don't they? forgot about that, guess they do always have a negative effect on mutants. they just don't necessarily kill them

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 6, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Viv and Amadeus are gamer buddies :unsmith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mosaic #1 preview
http://www.cbr.com/mosaic-1-exclusive-preview/

Foolkiller #1 art
http://www.cbr.com/preview-foolkiller-1/

Occupy Avengers #1 art
http://www.cbr.com/occupy-avengers-1-preview/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man, Red Wolf is in Occupy Avengers too. Now I'm looking forward to that one even more. And the artist from Red Wolf's solo book (and the excellent Shang-Chi Secret Wars book) is doing Foolkiller. I'll be picking that one up too.

• Locked thread