Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to melt a website down and inject it into your veins? 538 right now. Unf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

Why does it matter than white people are driving her unpopularity?

It doesn't matter a whole lot but it looks bad when you just get the topline average without the context of it being dragged down by racists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Why does it matter than white people are driving her unpopularity?

So your argument is "literally only white people matter." Gotcha.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Ted Cruz is a loving calamity-bringer to Trump's campaign. He gives that weird "vote your conscience" speech at the RNC and like a week later, Trump gets into a fight with gold star parents, then he sorta-semi endorses Trump without specifically naming him and then the debates happen and Trump polymorphs into a corncob. He is bad luck weaponized.

The sense I get from Cruz is that he's a very good backroom knife fighter when it comes to regulations, rules, and parliamentary procedure, but he's *terrible* at reading people and situations and so tends to make tremendous mistakes.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Artificer posted:

Evangelical Asians for one don't care about the xenophobia. So once again evangelicals are the worst.

They also latch onto prosperity gospel stuff on the economic issues and are very fygm. But a subset of those people really care about maintaining public school quality so are somewhat more flexible on down ballot races.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Eifert Posting posted:

Is there a way to melt a website down and inject it into your veins? 538 right now. Unf.

75% polls plus and nearly 80 polls only? :getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If Trump gets corncobbed as hard at debate 2 as he did at 1, it's over. I hope and pray Hillary pulls it off just as well.

Or better. :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FAUXTON posted:

It doesn't matter a whole lot but it looks bad when you just get the topline average without the context of it being dragged down by racists.

You aren't going to get an argument from me about how terrible while people in this country are but I have a hard time believing that her unpopularity is driven by racism rather than by 30 years in the public eye being hammered for scandal after scandal no matter how valid they are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

He looks soooo sad and it feels sooooooooo gooooooddddd.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

75% polls plus and nearly 80 polls only? :getin:

I would ignore the gently caress out of polls plus, as it has stupid poo poo baked into it like "This will be a normal election and both sides will run roughly equivalent campaigns."

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

mcmagic posted:

You aren't going to get an argument from me about how terrible while people in this country are but I have a hard time believing that her unpopularity is driven by racism rather than by 30 years in the public eye being hammered for scandal after scandal no matter how valid they are.

If this were true, wouldn't you expect it to be reflected in literally any other demographic?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

WampaLord posted:

I would ignore the gently caress out of polls plus, as it has stupid poo poo baked into it like "This will be a normal election and both sides will run roughly equivalent campaigns."

Yeah, remember the hyper accurate predictions he made 4 years ago were from Polls-Only

Polls-Plus is a new one for this election

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lozzle posted:

If this were true, wouldn't you expect it to be reflected in literally any other demographic?

It doesn't have to be reflected in any other demographic in order to have an effect on the outcome of the election. Whites are the largest demographic.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ohio is blue? Arizona still has a chance of flipping this late in the game? :staredog:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

The sense I get from Cruz is that he's a very good backroom knife fighter when it comes to regulations, rules, and parliamentary procedure, but he's *terrible* at reading people and situations and so tends to make tremendous mistakes.

He's basically Evil Hillary. There's a certain kind of politician who is very good "at politics" but doesn't actually understand people at all. Trump is the exact opposite, he "gets" people but he'd fail a 10th grade civics class.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't have to be reflected in any other demographic in order to have an effect on the outcome of the election. Whites are the largest demographic.

That doesn't explain how it isn't racism.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cythereal posted:

Asian-Americans don't have the same experience in the modern US that African-Americans, Latin-Americans, and Middle Eastern-Americans do. In the modern political climate they're virtually honorary white people by and large, though there are exceptions like that ad from the other day.

Except in Hollywood

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

Guy Farting posted:

This is just not true. Literally the above poll re Hilary/Trump favorables argues against this. Fox News just ran a super racist otherizing anti Asian "comedy" segment on national TV yesterday. It's untrue as a whole and it's dismissive to suggest this.

:cmon:

Not to mention that Asians voted more democratic than Hispanics in 2012. Asians tend to be high on family values, but they also tend to be very pro gun control and outside of the evangelical block, very pro-choice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And like Hispanics, Asians are a very diverse group of people we tend to toss into a single demographic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Except in Hollywood

To be fair Hollywood discriminates on everything. Age/Sex/Nationality/Weight

You name it Hollywood discriminates against it.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Did anyone watch the California Senate debate yesterday? Harris ran circles around Sanchez... And this happened.

https://twitter.com/philwillon/status/783874781665865729

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't explain how it isn't racism.

I mean it makes no logical sense that it would be racism but sure. What are they racist against Methodists?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Apparently I'm in the minority on this anyway, so go nuts.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of when someone posts a tweet that's a snarky comment on a tweet that links to an article which is the actual thing they wanted to post

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pick posted:

He's basically Evil Hillary. There's a certain kind of politician who is very good "at politics" but doesn't actually understand people at all. Trump is the exact opposite, he "gets" people but he'd fail a 10th grade civics class.

Hillary doesn't fail to understand people, she's just a dork. Not having the same social skills as others doesn't imply a lack of empathy.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I hope these polls showing doom for :sad: translate to the senate. Losing Harry Reid's seat in this one is unacceptable. Dems HAVE to gain as much as possible and losing even one seat really nerfs it for them.

That is my daily :derp: and :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I mean it makes no logical sense that it would be racism but sure. What are they racist against Methodists?

"I am voting for Donald Trump because I am racist and scared and Hillary Clinton is my enemy."

The Clinton campaign scandals seem to have the largest impact on people looking for an excuse rather than being the thing that drives them.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

ImpAtom posted:

So your argument is "literally only white people matter." Gotcha.

Jesus christ.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Hillary doesn't fail to understand people, she's just a dork. Not having the same social skills as others doesn't imply a lack of empathy.

Really, connecting with individual people seems to be one of her strongest points. She's just weaker at connecting with a crowd, like Bill can.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

The lack of empathy is what makes Cruz the evil one. Obviously Hillary is going to do fine in a one-on-one because she is a kind person.

Neither one of them has a knack for the optics of politics though, they're both exceptional at the actual workings of the system. They're both dorks, Cruz is just the dork from hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Periodiko posted:

Jesus christ.

This is the same guy who won't shut up about Hillary's unfavorables and how it means everyone hates her and we should have elected Bernie. So it's hard not to take what he said as that because it has been the central thesis of his argument for a while.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

"I am voting for Donald Trump because I am racist and scared and Hillary Clinton is my enemy."

I can see that affecting head to head polling but the bankshot to personal popularity is a giant leap that makes no sense.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

He looks soooo sad and it feels sooooooooo gooooooddddd.

In fairness, that's just his face. It's turned down at the sides for some reason.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

Really, connecting with individual people seems to be one of her strongest points. She's just weaker at connecting with a crowd, like Bill can.

Exactly. Public speaking and charisma are secondary skills in government. Those are for getting elected, not making and enforcing law.

Pick posted:

The lack of empathy is what makes Cruz the evil one. Obviously Hillary is going to do fine in a one-on-one because she is a kind person.

Neither one of them has a knack for the optics of politics though, they're both exceptional at the actual workings of the system. They're both dorks, Cruz is just the dork from hell.

Hillary is a dork. Cruz is a sociopath.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

This is the same guy who won't shut up about Hillary's unfavorables and how it means everyone hates her and we should have elected Bernie. So it's hard not to take what he said as that because it has been the central thesis of his argument for a while.

The logical leap you needed to take to get to this is pretty impressive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cult member at airport posted:

Did anyone watch the California Senate debate yesterday? Harris ran circles around Sanchez... And this happened.

Is this an actual Phoenix Wright breakdown?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

cult member at airport posted:

Holy poo poo she's a Kamen Rider

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WampaLord posted:

Also, I'd call her wary rather than secretive. She knows anything she does is going to be turned into some insane conspiracy theory and while she's tough enough not to break down, articles like that one where she thought they were suggesting she was a dogfucker and broke into tears in private show it still hurts her to have to deal with it. So when she's with a big crowd being reported on directly I can't imagine that doesn't make her a bit more hesitant.

Add to that that she has to walk a fine line between appearing tough and competent but not 'shrill' (just look at Sam B's bit on the debate advice/reviews about smile more, don't smile so much, keep an even tone, show passion, no too robotic, etc) and she's on a tightrope in every major public appearance. That has to make reading the crowd directly and firing them up harder.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mcmagic posted:

I mean, you also think that fraud and domestic abuse aren't important in a congressional election. Your standards are bizarre and bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I can see that affecting head to head polling but the bankshot to personal popularity is a giant leap that makes no sense.

mcmagic posted:

You sure seem to like to retreat back to the "giant leap" phrasing every time someone calls you on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

You sure seem to like to retreat back to the "giant leap" phrasing every time someone calls you on something.

The things you are "calling me on" bare no resemblance to ANYTHING i said and are pretty much only in your mind.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, you also think that fraud and domestic abuse aren't important in a congressional election. Your standards are bizarre and bad.

Yeah, another thing I didn't say. Those sound like legal issues, were they any charges pressed? Was police involved?

• Locked thread