Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

cult member at airport posted:

Did anyone watch the California Senate debate yesterday? Harris ran circles around Sanchez... And this happened.

https://twitter.com/philwillon/status/783874781665865729

I hate that dab poo poo so loving much and I don't even know what it's supposed to mean. God drat I'm an old fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The things you are "calling me on" bare no resemblance to ANYTHING i said and are pretty much only in your mind.

mcmagic posted:

Why does it matter that white people are driving her unpopularity?

Literally you own actual quote. You swapped your argument from "everyone dislikes Clinton, her unfavorables are so high" to "White people dislike Clinton and they're the most important demographic" in a heartbeat.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Doctor Butts posted:

I hate that dab poo poo so loving much and I don't even know what it's supposed to mean. God drat I'm an old fart.

the video is so much more cringe-inducing

https://twitter.com/AdrianNBCLA/status/783887665951236096?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/dozens-of-former-gop-lawmakers-announce-opposition-to-trump/ar-BBx4RHS?li=BBnb7Kz

It's nice to be getting these kinds of stories again. I know it doesn't matter too much but it's always lovely to watch. You don't see ex-Democratic politicians coming out against Hillary much, do you?

Also, I'd note that Hillary being very popular with non-whites is actually super good for the party that relies heavily on a diverse coalition that hinges on non-white voters.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wish Cruz had done this at his concession, and still managed to hit his wife in the face.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

it doesn't mean anything. it's a dance move. why do you hate a dance move?? ?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ImpAtom posted:

Literally you own actual quote. You swapped your argument from "everyone dislikes Clinton, her unfavorables are so high" to "White people dislike Clinton and they're the most important demographic" in a heartbeat.

You said that I said that ONLY White people matter. I said nothing of the sort but the idea that white people find her that unfavorable is something that is completely meaningless, is also moronic.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Never dab

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doctor Butts posted:

Don't worry about it. Just know that old and/or White people loving ruin everything.

gently caress Cam Newton for making it a thing in popular(white) culture. Also for being an All Lives matter fuckboy.

Trade Chat Troll
Jan 22, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm a bit sketchy on the details, but doesn't it have something to do with a Whip Nay Nay?

Keep an eye on Matthew, the Florida coast is about to get skullfucked. Might wipe out the space center among other things.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sorry I have to quote this again. :allears:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Cruz reminds me of that bug alien from the first Men in Black that wore human skin. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You said that I said that ONLY White people matter. I said nothing of the sort but the idea that white people find her that unfavorable is something that is completely meaningless is also moronic.

You've previously argued hard that Clinton's unfavorables means she shouldn't have been chosen and kept pointing at them as proof that she was One Of The Most Unpopular Candidates Ever. So if you still believe that then what you're saying is "white people's favorability is the one that matters."

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

ImpAtom posted:

They are the most important demographic politically, they're overwhelmingly the most populous and diverse in the United States. They're a solid majority of people, so while it's interesting and worth talking about, disapproval of Clinton driven by white people is still broad disapproval. It's not a "sham", it's a statistical reality.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lozzle posted:

If this were true, wouldn't you expect it to be reflected in literally any other demographic?

Eh, I think that might reflect media consumption patterns by racial group in the 90's, as opposed to flat-out racism. There's a racial component to it, but flat-out attributing Clinton's unpopularity ratings to "racism" is a huge oversimplification.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Periodiko posted:

They are the most important demographic politically, they're overwhelmingly the most populous and diverse in the United States. They're a solid majority of people, so while it's interesting and worth talking about, disapproval of Clinton driven by white people is still broad disapproval. It's not a "sham", it's a statistical reality.

That is absolutely true but it isn't what mcmagic argued before. I'm assuming his previous arguments still hold weight and he's not pulling a Trump and pretending he never said things.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/IcecreamGenius/status/783780017109143552

:3:

bowser fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 6, 2016

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Is there a breakdown of Clinton's favorables by gender as well? It'd be even funnier and even less surprising if it was just white men that hated her.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Schadenfreude is one hell of a drug.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ImpAtom posted:

You've previously argued hard that Clinton's unfavorables means she shouldn't have been chosen and kept pointing at them as proof that she was One Of The Most Unpopular Candidates Ever. So if you still believe that then what you're saying is "white people's favorability is the one that matters."

It's not the only one that matters but it does matter a lot. You're talking about a huge portion of the electorate and those unfavorables are going to be a major reason why this is going to be a 2012 level win for her rather than a giant wave election which is what should be happening when she's running against Trump.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Endorph posted:

it doesn't mean anything. it's a dance move. why do you hate a dance move?? ?

All dance moves created after the Running Man and Roger Rabbit are invalid.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Periodiko posted:

You didn't read the article then. The other main thrust of it was that Hillary was solidly popular until she began running for president, which the Republicans tried to nip in the bud in 2013 with the Benghazi "scandal", while Trump has always been consistently unpopular.

Plus, it's not representative of her being "totally unpopular with everyone" if she's only unpopular with white people, which SHOULD be common sense but apparently isn't.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

"poo poo, how do we spin a story about her protecting baby animals as a negative"

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Lightning Knight posted:

gentrification

If you want to put a face on what is admittedly a fairly diffuse problem, the documentary BOOM: The Sound of Eviction, about the politics of housing and development in dotcom era San Francisco, is considered to be a pretty good study. It's on youtube starting here.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I miss when dabbing was all about smoking really concentrated weed until reality dissolved :sigh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's still a chance to make history and become our first twerking Senator.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BaDandy posted:

You didn't read the article then. The other main thrust of it was that Hillary was solidly popular until she began running for president, which the Republicans tried to nip in the bud in 2013 with the Benghazi "scandal", while Trump has always been consistently unpopular.

Plus, it's not representative of her being "totally unpopular with everyone" if she's only unpopular with white people, which SHOULD be common sense but apparently isn't.

In America if you're unpopular with white people you're unpopular with most of the electorate. That's just reality.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pakled posted:

"poo poo, how do we spin a story about her protecting baby animals as a negative"

That's intended to be a negative?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

HookedOnChthonics posted:

If you want to put a face on what is admittedly a fairly diffuse problem, the documentary BOOM: The Sound of Eviction, about the politics of housing and development in dotcom era San Francisco, is considered to be a pretty good study. It's on youtube starting here.

Interesting. I won't be able to watch this now but if I remember later I will. Thanks!

mcmagic posted:

In America if you're unpopular with white people you're unpopular with most of the electorate. That's just reality.

That reflects a problem with the electorate, not the candidate.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

Is there a breakdown of Clinton's favorables by gender as well? It'd be even funnier and even less surprising if it was just white men that hated her.

I wish it were true, but I guarantee you that it's not the case. It's anecdotal, but the most ardent Hillary-haters I've ever met have been women, because...well, you can guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

That reflects a problem with the electorate, not the candidate.

That isn't how winning elections works.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This whole argument is moot because, as bad as Hillary's unfavorables are, Trump's are much worse.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

So then why isn't Trump winning? He's most favorable with whites.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pakled posted:

Crooked Hillary wants government bureaucrats to control your access to cute bunnies.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mcmagic posted:

That isn't how winning elections works.

She is winning the election. That she is unable to win a landslide represents the fundamental truth of the electorate: 39-44 percent of America would happily embrace fascism because they're loving fascists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's not the only one that matters but it does matter a lot. You're talking about a huge portion of the electorate and those unfavorables are going to be a major reason why this is going to be a 2012 level win for her rather than a giant wave election which is what should be happening when she's running against Trump.

Except white people are historically not prone to voting Democrat. They went 72 to 39 for Romney. Even if Sanders was the nominee there's no reason to assume white men would suddenly flock to him in droves or that he wouldn't suffer low favorabilities with them. Maybe not AS low as Clinton but the argument that any Democrat could suddenly win all the white votes against Trump (whose strongest base are white men) is silly.

mcmagic posted:

So why is Obama President when he clearly lost White voters by a huge degree?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mcmagic posted:

In America if you're a Democratic candidate unpopular with everyone but white people you're a complete waste of everyone's time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If white people weren't incredibly insecure and populous then Trump wouldn't be the nominee, we already know this.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Except white people are historically not prone to voting Democrat. They went 72 to 39 for Romney. Even if Sanders was the nominee there's no reason to assume white men would suddenly flock to him in droves or that he wouldn't suffer low favorabilities with them. Maybe not AS low as Clinton but the argument that any Democrat could suddenly win all the white votes against Trump (whose strongest base are white men) is silly.

This is true. Having lower unfavorables than Clinton would not, in and of itself, guarantee a higher turnout for her at the polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

I would be an rear end in a top hat.

"You are really just gonna try and get me to vote for the man that called your wife ugly and insulted your dad. Maybe it's good you didn't become president because you are obviously bitchmade"

I would go for the minimalist approach:

"Hi, this is Ted Cruz..."
*hangs up*

• Locked thread