Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Incitatus posted:

gently caress yeah

http://imgur.com/a/XVV3z

Why doesn't linking photos work anymore?

You need to directly link to the image:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
e:f;b, so here's Professional Lokey Squirrel

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think a lot of it is just that they've scheduled really lovely match ups. No one wants to watch the Bears this year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

I think a lot of it is just that they've scheduled really lovely match ups. No one wants to watch the Bears this year.

The ratings for all games are down.

The thing is, outside of some of the prime time stinkers, the drop seems to pretty well correlate with the % of people who are dropping cable.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, people have been complaining about lovely match ups for years, hence why flex scheduling ever became a thing.

The NFL signed an 8 year extension with DirecTV for Sunday Ticket in 20-loving-14, a stupid decision that ignored the writing on the wall at the expense of Goodell's "$25 billion revenue" goal.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

The ratings for all games are down.

The thing is, outside of some of the prime time stinkers, the drop seems to pretty well correlate with the % of people who are dropping cable.

Oh hm. I mean it could be related to people cutting cable, but most the (locally broadcast) games are available via antenna anyway. Maybe some of the lack of star power is hurting? Brady's been out, Peyton's retired, Cam and Rodgers have looked mortal.

Or maybe it's the gifs.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/784038756693180416

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

WHOOPS posted:

I'd be shocked if it's causing a decline in ratings at all - .gifs and short video clips are free marketing that they clamp down on because reasons.

A bigger contributor is probably illegal streams because the NFL has locked out-of-market access behind a pay TV business that fewer and fewer people justify spending money on. The NFL is incredibly tone deaf on this sort of poo poo and it's starting to catch up to them.

Everyone I see bitches about flags non-stop. 10 minute debate of catch/no catch, then you flag a guy when he does a little jig in the endzone. gently caress that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Oh hm. I mean it could be related to people cutting cable, but most the (locally broadcast) games are available via antenna anyway. Maybe some of the lack of star power is hurting? Brady's been out, Peyton's retired, Cam and Rodgers have looked mortal.

Or maybe it's the gifs.

Yeah, you aren't wrong though.

Forza's sure looked more entertaining then the 2nd half of any Bears game or the Chiefs - Steelers game after like 10 minutes.

Also while a lot are switching to antennas, even putting forth the minimal effort to put up an antenna or finding out you get not-perfect reception is probably enough to cause a modest decrease in viewership.

It's why so many services require you to call to cancel it, because they know I am loving lazy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think commercial fatigue might be a factor. You watch so many commercials to watch about 12-15 minutes of actual football, it's ridiculous.

Horrible matchups are also a factor obviously. Who do they think is tuning into BIlls/Jets in primetime outside of the NY tri-state area? Idiots like me, that's about it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Somehow not an Onion headline:

https://twitter.com/SBNationNFL/status/784059431302475776

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I used to wonder how coaches go through so much film for an opponent until I saw a condensed game is, like, 30 minutes.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

Horrible matchups are also a factor obviously. Who do they think is tuning into BIlls/Jets in primetime outside of the NY tri-state area? Idiots like me, that's about it.

I'm in a bit of a bubble, but I thought that was an intriguing matchup. It's two division rivals with feasible shots at the playoffs with a ton of baked-in rivalries.

But I guess maybe you could make the same argument for Falcons/Saints, which I didn't care about.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

:same:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Falcons/Saints also aired during the presidential debate

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nooooooooooooooooo

Oh my god, do they not employ editors?

a neat cape posted:

I had a friend tell me football is doomed because of Kaepernick... due to a sharp ratings decline for MNF.

I laughed in his face and he didn't understand. I'm assuming he connected the dots later, because I'm not gonna let a horse lead me to water and have him tell me it's sand. Let him figure it out.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 6, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

a neat cape posted:

No idea why someone would need to watch this cycle's shitshows

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Joe Buck irl

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/784060981466976257

I hope he's still good and also still fat.

fsif fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 6, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

Nooooooooooooooooo

Oh my god, do they not employ editors?

A good editor would let that one slide in.

fsif posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/784060981466976257

I hope he's still and good and also still fat.

Now that's where an editor could help.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 6, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

No idea why someone would need to watch this cycle's shitshows

Honestly dude, the bits I caught during commercial breaks and halftime were the funniest poo poo I've seen all year. It was cathartic as gently caress to watch him eat himself like a big, orange ouroboros.

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

To expand on the cable-cutting / TV model, I think another problem could be that there is really no easy way to get an all-game package. We were talking about this in the Sunday Ticket thread - I am doing everything I can to give the NFL my money in order to watch any game I want, and the only way to do it is to download an obscure program that disguises my IP address into something that's not in the US (or something???).

For my Dad's birthday, my sister and I were trying to get him a cable package that would ensure he could watch out of market Pittsburgh games, and were basically told that such a thing does not exist.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Now that's where an editor could help.

You just made me self-conscious enough to fix it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Blarfk posted:

To expand on the cable-cutting / TV model, I think another problem could be that there is really no easy way to get an all-game package. We were talking about this in the Sunday Ticket thread - I am doing everything I can to give the NFL my money in order to watch any game I want, and the only way to do it is to download an obscure program that disguises my IP address into something that's not in the US (or something???).

For my Dad's birthday, my sister and I were trying to get him a cable package that would ensure he could watch out of market Pittsburgh games, and were basically told that such a thing does not exist.

Yeah this is the NFL's biggest problem. They have the technology available to give people exactly what they want but only let one satellite provider have it so they can make a killer licensing fee

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

fsif posted:

You just made me self-conscious enough to fix it.

:lol: I was making fun of Schefter's use of "resign" instead of "re-sign".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think this was linked a few days ago, but I finally got around to reading it, and this article on Belichick with a ton of quotes from people he worked with is a pretty drat good read: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17703210/new-england-patriots-coach-bill-belichick-greatest-enigma-sports

The Phil Savage quotes are probably the best

Phil Savage posted:

"I met Bill at the very beginning of his head-coaching career and on my very first day in the NFL. On Monday, March 18, 1991, I walked into the Browns' building, shook his hand, and Bill says, 'What are we paying you again?' I said $20,000. And he goes, 'Look, we had planned on hiring two guys, but I want you to do both sides of the ball. We'll give you an extra five grand, and eventually we'll bring some other a--hole in to help you out.'
That's my first interaction with Bill.

"Saban might be the greatest college coach ever, and I can honestly say in the last eight years at Alabama I have never once seen him tired. But in Cleveland, under Bill, he'd go slump down against a wall and stutter, "I gotta get out of here, I can't function anymore." Bill could outwork all of us."

"My film breakdowns weren't what he wanted, so he says, 'Let's just sit down and go through a few plays together.' We're getting ready for Tampa, he throws the first play up on the screen and starts going, from the inside out, over every single tiny detail. 'See this split of the linemen? That's 2 feet. That's 3 feet. That one's 2 feet between the center and the guard. Write that down. OK, now look at the splits of the wide receivers. The Z is inside the numbers. The X is outside. OK, the quarterback. Look! Right there! He looks to the left, to the right, to the left, then to the middle and then he hikes the ball. You gotta monitor that because it could help our defensive linemen get a jump on the snap.'"

"He proceeds to go through all these little intricacies on the game film ... and it's 20 minutes on one play. Twenty minutes! In my immature mind I'm sitting there in the dark doing the math: Three games to break down on each side of the ball, 60 plays in each game, 20 minutes a play means I can get through three plays in an hour. My god, I'll never sleep again. And I didn't."

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 6, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Everyone is cutting cable and fast, in regards to ratings. Netflix alone (not counting HBO, Showtime, and Amazon) is putting out enough good shows that you really don't have time to watch all of it.

Also, the meddling bullshit Goodell does in regards to punishments, drug policy, and 'taunting' penalties are starting to make the NFL seem less legitimate in general. I was a pure football addict in the past but it's annoyed me enough where I only watch my must-see games now.

In a world of shrinking attention spans, they added MORE commercial breaks and made it harder to watch what you want to. It's completely idiotic.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It is the year 2016 and I still can't just buy all the Dolphins games to stream online lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Everyone is cutting cable and fast, in regards to ratings. Netflix alone (not counting HBO, Showtime, and Amazon) is putting out enough good shows that you really don't have time to watch all of it.

I mean, I pay for DirecTV and Sunday Ticket Max but I still watch the illegal streams because the DirecTV streaming is so godawful choppy it's unwatchable. So even the overpriced legal streaming option they provide is terrible.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
ESPN (so I assume NFL thinks the same) says that cord cutters are not sports fans, so those people aren't affecting their numbers.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chilichimp posted:

Honestly dude, the bits I caught during commercial breaks and halftime were the funniest poo poo I've seen all year. It was cathartic as gently caress to watch him eat himself like a big, orange ouroboros.
For whatever reason I was expecting some modicum of professionalism from Trump. Boy howdy was I wrong

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Anyone read The Throwback Special? Just saw that it was shortlisted for the national book award and it sounds like it could be good.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Imagine the NFL didn't have the direct tv deal.

What do you think they'd try to charge fans to stream just their team's games.

I'm betting at least $250 a year.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Athanatos posted:

ESPN (so I assume NFL thinks the same) says that cord cutters are not sports fans, so those people aren't affecting their numbers.

ESPN making their channels so ungodly expensive to the providers, and therefore subscribers, is part of the goddamn problem.

I wish I could get channels a-la-carte, but that's never loving happening because of every party involved.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Athanatos posted:

Sure we are, but we find a way... like borrowing a spare cable box from your father-in-law during football season so you get access to the live games. (Apparently this loving works, if you pay for internet from a TV company, you just need an unlocked cable box for that TV company to decode the TV signal, and literally any one will work).

If you live out of your teams market, you're hosed, tho.

Kalli posted:

Season ticket prices

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kalli posted:

cool I'll save some money!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kalli posted:

MLB is such a great deal for what you pay. NFL could charge twice as much for 1/10 of the games and I'd pay it in a second.

As it stands, it's either pay one billion dollars a month for DirecTV or find streams. It sucks.

Oh I guess I could go to a local bar to watch my team? Really easy to do when my toddlers Naptime falls directly during the game and there is zero chance hell sit still for a four hour game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Incitatus posted:

Why doesn't linking photos work anymore?

Depending on your browser you have to right click on the pic and save image location, copy, view image or whatever leads to the actual address of the picture instead of imgur's template. Then link that.

e: Oops there was a new page

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I just (like within the last 2 weeks) realized that through the Verizon NFL Mobile App, I have basically had Sunday Ticket for years but assumed it was a app you had to pay for. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gamepass outside of the US is amazing and I'd pay 300 season for that, but they won't let me, so instead I pay much less Euros and pretend I live in the Netherlands to watch it.

• Locked thread