Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lightning Knight posted:

Hm. I wonder if a liberal court could change that.

Frankly it's unlikely. Off the top of my head Ginsburg has written opinions (notably Untied States v. Virginia, regarding VMI being male-only) based on intermediate scrutiny for gender delineation under the 14th, without the usual hint-dropping that comes along with a certain wing of the court looking for an avenue to do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Evangelicals get into that stuff because they are misogynistic and want to punish women for having sex not stop abortions. It's like how they didn't really give a poo poo about politics until desegregation started and suddenly whites and blacks in the same school was an affront to their religious beliefs and they needed to vote for politicians pushing against it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radish posted:

This guy is worse than that rear end in a top hat who said class warfare against the rich is like the Holocaust since he's responsible for killing 29 people and whining about a year sentence for that.

If it makes you feel better, Fortune has an article by Gary Johnson titled "What Clinton and Trump Won't Tell You About Entitlements".

I can only hope there is a counter article titled "What Johnson Won't Tell You About Anything That Can Be Found On A Map".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JohnCompany posted:

Frankly it's unlikely. Off the top of my head Ginsburg has written opinions (notably Untied States v. Virginia, regarding VMI being male-only) based on intermediate scrutiny for gender delineation under the 14th, without the usual hint-dropping that comes along with a certain wing of the court looking for an avenue to do something.

That's thoroughly unfortunate. Shows me for being optimistic about the 14th, I guess. It makes a certain degree of sense considering the context it was ratified in, but I feel like the literal text of the amendment should support much stronger anti-discrimination initiatives than it does. :sigh:

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Carter's career before politics was as a nuclear engineer in the Navy, and it showed style of governance. He'd get super involved into specific policy details, and when the time came to start making deals he would refuse to budge on anything. One of the big things that came up right in the first few months of his Presidency was a big bill for water projects-Carter had campaigned against pork barrel spending, thought it was all a bunch of useless waste, and was completely against it. But it was incredibly popular in the (Democratically controlled) Congress, since it brought a lot of money to a wide range of congressional districts. So of course, Carter vetoed it-and Congress overrode his veto, setting the pace for what would become an incredibly acrimonious relationship between Congress and the Presidency, similar in a few ways to what Obama's faced over the past few years. But while Congressional opposition to Obama has all been political expediency, when it came to Carter it was all almost purely out of spite.

To follow up on this - Tip O'Neill (who was Speaker of the House when Carter was President) has nothing good to say about Carter and his staff in his memoirs, lamenting about how Carter assumed he could just intimidate Congress into going along with his direction just because he was the President, and that even Reagan treated O'Neill with more respect and coordination than Carter ever did.

As another example - in 1978, Carter proposed a massive energy bill that would have seriously put more effort into renewable sources and put more taxes into oil producers. As O'Neill tried to find compromises so that the Democrats could get it passed over Republican objections and a near unanimous opposition from the TX/LA/OK delegations, the Carter Adminsitration offered no help, and in fact every once in a while threw out suggested "good idea changes" that would wreck promises O'Neil had already made.

In the end, O'Neill got it passed in the House, but it got filibustered in the Senate and the Carter administration agreed to let it die because they didn't like the compromises O'Neill had made.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

lozzle posted:

You would need sex ed, which is apparently also a sin. :sigh:

Yeah, that's why I said I'm not sure how you'd make it happen. Anything attempting to explain sex to teenagers would get thrown out as "ungodly lies" to a certain type.

I know I believed Plan B was abortive for years, but that's largely because even when it first came out and was heavily debated, nobody ever challenged it on that point when I saw it discussed. The morning after pill is ALWAYS presented as being an abortion issue and nobody ever stops and says "whoa, no, it doesn't work that way."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

lozzle posted:

You would need sex ed, which is apparently also a sin. :sigh:

Tell me about it.

My wife was fairly clueless about things when we got married and she went to school in Yorba Linda (yes the place were Nixon is buried)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah yes, jazz, one of the most important foundational and vivid artistic movements in modern American culture, totally not legitimate music. Holy poo poo dude.

Also passive aggressively racist. Yes of course the famously black originated music genre doesn't count. :allears:

i always like bringing up orchestral jazz whenever idiots start bagging on it

that george gershwin isn't a legitimate musician and rhapsody in blue is just random notes

also gives them the opening for some bonus antisemitism on top of the other racism

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i always like bringing up orchestral jazz whenever idiots start bagging on it

that george gershwin isn't a legitimate musician and rhapsody in blue is just random notes

Frankly I don't even enjoy traditional jazz, but holy poo poo it's like the foundation of everything good in modern American popular music, like what the gently caress.

Like for real people aren't kidding when they say all the good music is because of black Americans.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm fairly sure the only reason they're opposed to it is because women having sex outside marriage or otherwise possessing independent thinking and sexual agency are Not Good for evangelical social engineering.
Nah. I spent years deep in those circles, and yeah, they do think sex is a marriage-only thing, but there's a TON of people who won't even look at The Pill as a married couple because they think it causes abortions.

Specifically, Hobby Lobby's "religious objections" don't make any sense outside of it - they probably don't think people should drink to excess, either, but it's not like they didn't want cirrhosis covered. There's zero compatibility between Evangelical thought and no-pill-for-anyone outside of the misinformation campaign.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Winner is Jew posted:

Tell me about it.

My wife was fairly clueless about things when we got married and she went to school in Yorba Linda (yes the place were Nixon is buried)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yes, I imagine image hosters like tripod were one way that people got their sexual education

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

Frankly I don't even enjoy traditional jazz, but holy poo poo it's like the foundation of everything good in modern American popular music, like what the gently caress.

Like for real people aren't kidding when they say all the good music is because of black Americans.

you can also point to jamaica for lots of where current music today comes from

particularly studio production

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

lol @ using implying greentext arrows in the year of our lord 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Honestly, like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbCt-iXIXlQ

This is arguably more "modern" jazz but musicians like Miles Davis were absolutely definitive in shaping American music.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
e:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ extremely relevant album to this post

On Terra Firma posted:

Uhhh Bill Evans would like a word beyond the grave

John McLaughlin would like a word from England.

e2: man that Goatman post is just the trifecta of really lovely unfunny troll, "ironic racism", and musical ignorance. HELL YES IM MAD :argh:

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 6, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Anyone who hasn't should watch Ken Burns' documentary on jazz, which is available to watch for free on PBS' website. I can't really do it justice with a short description, but after watching you'll understand how unlike any genre that came before jazz is uniquely American and full of innovation that continues to have great influence on other genres in the modern day. Makes for great ambience if you have it on while you're doing something else too.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 6, 2016

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Arguably the greatest white jazz musician.

You know him from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

But you should know him from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD21CBN6KkE

If idiot hellfuckers like Goatman can listen to that and put musician in scare quotes they need to have their eardrums ripped out and fed to them

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Jazz is great and there is a strong case for music being a primary driver for progress in race relations throughout American history. Nowhere else in the world can even begin to gently caress with America's musical output during and past the 20th century.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Question: I'll need some good political books and movies to pass by the time in the hurricane. I'm looking into the Game Change books and movie; anything else you all would recommend?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah yes, jazz, one of the most important foundational and vivid artistic movements in modern American culture, totally not legitimate music. Holy poo poo dude.

Also passive aggressively racist. Yes of course the famously black originated music genre doesn't count. :allears:

Jazz is absolutely important as the foundation for much of American music.

In general, it also sucks rear end. Give me the Blues any day.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Munkeymon posted:

But you should know him from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD21CBN6KkE

If idiot hellfuckers like Goatman can listen to that and put musician in scare quotes they need to have their eardrums ripped out and fed to them

Pfft those stupid idiotfucker non-musicians keep putting an extra beat in every bar :smugdog:

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Question: I'll need some good political books and movies to pass by the time in the hurricane. I'm looking into the Game Change books and movie; anything else you all would recommend?

Don't you need electricity to watch movies?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Eletriarnation posted:

Anyone who hasn't should watch Ken Burns' documentary on jazz, which is available to watch for free on PBS' website. I can't really do it justice with a short description, but after watching you'll understand how unlike any genre that came before jazz is unique, uniquely American, and full of innovation that continues to have great influence on other genres in the modern day. Makes for great ambience if you have it on while you're doing something else too.

With the possible exception of country, most of the uniquely American genres of music - jazz, hip-hop/rap, disco - originated in the black community. It's a wonderful testament to the fact that what makes us good and unique is the same thing that white conservatives hate: our diversity and the strengths of our minority communities.

Jazz doesn't suck. It's just kind of dull and puts me to sleep. I'm a big fan of electronic jazz but I feel like in general my tastes in music may be super terrible and mark me as a young millennial suburban shithead. :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Talmonis posted:

Jazz is absolutely important as the foundation for much of American music.

In general, it also sucks rear end. Give me the Blues any day.

Was coming in to post more or less this :hfive:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

With the possible exception of country, most of the uniquely American genres of music - jazz, hip-hop/rap, disco - originated in the black community. It's a wonderful testament to the fact that what makes us good and unique is the same thing that white conservatives hate: our diversity and the strengths of our minority communities.

Jazz doesn't suck. It's just kind of dull and puts me to sleep. I'm a big fan of electronic jazz but I feel like in general my tastes in music may be super terrible and mark me as a young millennial suburban shithead. :ohdear:

Listen to this poo poo then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZq2cactvc

or yknow, any new Kendrick. or Thundercat

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
A bit late, but thanks for the Carter information. It sounds like his ideas were good but was entirely unable to play ball with folks. That's a bummer. Especially as a lot of his concerns seem to have come true, but he couldn't start the engines of change, as it were. I suppose if nothing else it's a great lesson in recognizing the perfect as the enemy of the good.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Pfft those stupid idiotfucker non-musicians keep putting an extra beat in every bar :smugdog:

Don't you need electricity to watch movies?

I'll see if I can't get a DVD for any movies.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Listen to this poo poo then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZq2cactvc

or yknow, any new Kendrick. or Thundercat

My first thought listening to this was "intro to a '70s-'80s TV show set in New York." I don't know if that's justified or not, but there you go. :v:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I'll see if I can't get a DVD for any movies.

Are you hand-cranking that DVD or what? Genuinely just curious, I would have thought blackouts and no generators were the norm in a storm

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

First post has a bunch of suggestions.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

My first thought listening to this was "intro to a '70s-'80s TV show set in New York." I don't know if that's justified or not, but there you go. :v:

I'd watch the gently caress out of that show

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Eletriarnation posted:

Anyone who hasn't should watch Ken Burns' documentary on jazz, which is available to watch for free on PBS' website. I can't really do it justice with a short description, but after watching you'll understand how unlike any genre that came before jazz is unique, uniquely American, and full of innovation that continues to have great influence on other genres in the modern day. Makes for great ambience if you have it on while you're doing something else too.

and also why jazz is considered a dead artform thanks to people like stanley crouch and wynton marsalis

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Thirteen Days

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

The defining traits of country compared to "folk music" have their roots in the black community too, mostly the "wrong" notes that give country its twang. Southern folk music was played by white and black folks, despite the community being very white now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Good music in the USPol thread. This is the best derail ever. :allears:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

country very much has its roots in black musical traditions

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Phone posted:

If it makes you feel better, Fortune has an article by Gary Johnson titled "What Clinton and Trump Won't Tell You About Entitlements".

I can only hope there is a counter article titled "What Johnson Won't Tell You About Anything That Can Be Found On A Map".
Gary Johnson always dreaded computer lab day. He knew his nemesis Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? would be waiting for him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

comingafteryouall posted:

The defining traits of country compared to "folk music" have their roots in the black community too, mostly the "wrong" notes that give country its twang. Southern folk music was played by white and black folks, despite the community being very white now.

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

Fascinating. I didn't know that. It doesn't really surprise me.

Too bad country isn't so great anymore.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Fascinating. I didn't know that. It doesn't really surprise me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eWJmN8D820

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

Pretty much all "white" music has it's roots in black musical traditions.

Lightning Knight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJvvxEs1_pE

Look how wrong you are. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hillary's really loving good one on one, though. I am much less sure about Zodiac.

Zodiac didn't know some senate procedure/rules and hosed up and allowed some B-Rock appointees through. I mean he achieved his goal of being an attention whore, bbbbbbuuuuutttttttt

• Locked thread